Non-motoring > Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 22

Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-23060829

Officers have carried out research into children and fire alarms and concluded many do sleep through the noise.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - MD
And so do adults my boy. Trust me.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Bromptonaut
Mine have gone off once at night while kids were young - false alarm. Neither child stirred but Mrs B and I were on the landing in seconds.

If it'd been real we would have sorted them out or all four of us had have been dead.

Comparing normality with Philpott scenario is barking.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Dog
My smoke alarms would even wake the dead.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Robin O'Reliant
That flaming beep when the battery is low is enough to wake me.
>>That flaming beep when the battery is low is enough to wake me.

+1

:o}
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - rtj70
The smoke alarms (and very sensitive sensors!) at university accommodation in Manchester in the late 80s was VERY loud. One chap from overseas (irrelevant he was Scandinavian I know) would sleep through it! We had to knock on his door to wake him. It was more a siren than alarm though.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - No FM2R
I don't know if its usual, but ours are networked. So not only are they battery AND mains, if one goes off, they all do.

A mighty pain when its a bonfire, barbecue, burnt toast, but no doubt I'll be grateful if its ever real.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 27 Jun 13 at 00:33
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - BobbyG
Twice since my house fire, our smoke alarms have went off during the night. My son sleeps through them even though alarm is outside his room.

Me, on the other hand am up, glasses on, and checked all alarms, upstairs and downstairs, in one sweeping movement!
>>I don't know if its usual, but ours are networked. So not only are they battery AND mains, if one goes off, they all do

Same ere, 4 in all, all over the owse, like, including one in the kitchen, which looks different to the other 3, so perhaps less sensitive, or somefink, or it would be going orf all the thyme, maybe.
>> including one in the kitchen, which looks different to the other 3

It will be a heat detector and not a smoke detector.
>>It will be a heat detector and not a smoke detector.

Well done that man! - I've just this minute checked it (before I read your reply) tis a heat alarm.

:}
We had heat detectors in the kitchens and university halls of residence. Smoke alarms in the hall. The smoke alarms were very sensitive so if you burnt your toast in the kitchen they'd go off anyway :-)
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - L'escargot
Smoke alarms don't last forever. Ours are due for renewal. Here's lots of facts about smoke alarms ~ firemarshals.org/rfsi/smokealarmfacts.html
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Ted

Take the battery out...............result...a good night's sleep.

Or am I missing something ?....:-)

Ted
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Ambo
My Fireangel smoke alarms have 10-year batteries. When they wear out the alarms have to be replaced but this is cheap, compared to a yearly 9v battery replacement. My CO alarm is similar but only lasts 7 years yet still cheap.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Slidingpillar
Not cheap :o( but you could always have a smoke alarm for the deaf as I have.

Bright flashing light and vibrating pad you stick under the mattress. Mine is mains powered, but has a battery back up if the mains fails - but alarms if it does, so I know the system will wake me.

And in my hearing days, I was known to say "what thunderstorm last night?" so I'm not the easiest to wake.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - helicopter
My Brother in Law ( now retired ) was embarrassed in the extreme after setting off the alarms at work when making toast in the kitchen for breakfast after a night shift..........

..... He was a senior fire officer at London Fire Brigade Headquarters in Lambeth at the time
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Bromptonaut
>> My Brother in Law ( now retired ) was embarrassed in the extreme after setting
>> off the alarms at work when making toast in the kitchen for breakfast after a
>> night shift..........
>>
>> ..... He was a senior fire officer at London Fire Brigade Headquarters in Lambeth at
>> the time

We spent an entertaining 40mins at the fire assembly point last month. Turns out someone on the floor above had burned their toast.

The fire service said if it was up to them they'd ban toasters in offices......
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - helicopter
Exactly Bromptonaut......... he has been retired 15 years and whenever he meets up for a reunion he is never allowed to forget it......
I think all smoke alarms should have a standard distance between the mounting holes so that an alarm can be renewed without having to drill another hole in the ceiling. The current same-make equivalent of our alarms are a smaller diameter than ours.
 Smoke alarms. Important advice re children. - Mapmaker
I was very glad when I was staying in a holiday cottage, the Rayburn caught fire and the fire alarms went off. Less glad that they'd been attached to the walls, not the ceiling, so it needed 12 inches of smoke in the kitchen before it went off.

Make sure your alarms aren't attached to the walls...
>> Make sure your alarms aren't attached to the walls...
>>

.......... or to too near the edge or corner of the ceiling, where there could be a space in which the fumes don't circulate. The middle of a ceiling is best. www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/smoke-alarms
Latest Forum Posts