Non-motoring > Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 16

Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - Londoner
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029507

Spooky! :-)
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - Ted

Vibration from traffic on Oxford Road. It happens to me if I stand still long enough !

Ted
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - Runfer D'Hills
It's a local thing. If ever anyone oop here is describing a conversation they've had there is always evidence of all parties turning round a lot. " Well, he turned round and said...so I turned round and replied...then he turned round..." See what I mean?
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - L'escargot
>> If ever anyone oop here is describing a conversation they've had
>> there is always evidence of all parties turning round a lot. " Well, he turned
>> round and said...so I turned round and replied...then he turned round..."

Doesn't anyone say "And I was like ...."? That's what they say round here.
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - Armel Coussine
It's Ted's traffic vibrations, perhaps combined with a convexity under the statuette's plinth... Plus of course the Sheikh whooping it up in Longsight dives late at night, plenty woofer action eh...

Where is the Sheikh actually?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 25 Jun 13 at 19:18
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - legacylad
On a bus going from Sydney to Fremantle.
Cheaper than flying.
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - Ted

>> Where is the Sheikh actually?
>>

He's safe and sound haunting Facebook atm. Bless him !

Ted
>> haunting Facebook

Oo-er... accidentally grooming crooked car dealers I'll be bound...

>> plenty woofer action

The big carnival woofers could make the whole front wall of our six-floor house in the Grove pulsate, and bring plaster down from the porches.

There was an unevenness across the road that sometimes made the house tremble a bit when a bus or HGV hit it just right. Unnoticeable after a while.

One night the tremor went on for so long it woke me up. Turned out to have been an earthquake in Wales.
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - Manatee
Far more weird than the statue moving is the museum lady's apparent preference for a supernatural explanation. Are people really such simpletons, or is she just being mischievous?
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - NortonES2
Maybe the gullible have a greater propensity to buy? Assuming the museum offers the usual merchandise for them: healing crystals, 9/11 revelations, mummified cats.....
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - madf
>> Far more weird than the statue moving is the museum lady's apparent preference for a
>> supernatural explanation. Are people really such simpletons, or is she just being mischievous?
>>

"publicity stunt"... I bet their visitor numbers have increased a lot.

Free publicity for the gullible.. and those who were unaware Manchester had a museum worth visiting :-)
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - RattleandSmoke
I am here, just busy on new projects.

The student union is near by, and sometimes they have functions which go onto stupid hours in the morning. There is a venue opposite which hosts rock nights I often visited, a few weeks ago I was leaving about 2:30am and I could actually feel the bass from the student union building. I walked up to catch my bus about 1/3 of a mile away and I could still hear the music from the student union which is next door to this museum.

Also the student union buildings are used to host gigs as well with around 5 or more gigs per week, this will cause a lot of vibrations.

There is also a tiny matter of the museum being located on what is called Europe busiest bus route, with about 1 bus every 30 seconds.

Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - Duncan
>> There is also a tiny matter of the museum being located on what is called
>> Europe busiest bus route, with about 1 bus every 30 seconds.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmslow_Road_bus_corridor
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - rtj70
A lot of the bus routes converge around Withington so it is busier between Withington and the city centre than other sections. Whether it is really the busiest might be debatable but in term time there are lots of buses heading through Fallowfield (one of the main student areas).
 Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - RattleandSmoke
I drive down the road most days and the buses are more frequent than the time table suggests. It is not as busy now as it used to be, as Stagecoach have won the bus war and it is only Finglands still in the fight.

By route I meant city centre to Fallowfield rather than actual bus numbers as neither of the numbers them self are that regular, but the 42, 43, 142 and 143 combined are mostly used between the city centre and Fallowfield anyway.

Of course the trend for students living in Fallowfield is fading as more and more city centre student blocks are built.

Why can't Manchester Museum keep its statues still - NortonES2
And quite a few minor earth tremors IIRC, the swarm in 2002.
Latest Forum Posts