Non-motoring > James Gandolfini RIP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 8

James Gandolfini RIP - Manatee
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22980414

Aged 51. Like AC I was entertained by the Sopranos.
 James Gandolfini RIP - Armel Coussine
So, Tonny sleeps wit duh fishes, huh?

I've seen him in quite a few other roles, and the guy was indeed a very good actor. Glad I caught last night's nth repeat of a Sopranos episode on Sky Atlantic.

Borderline obese though. A good figure for mafia roles, not so good for a long life.
 James Gandolfini RIP - CGNorwich
Never seen it - Was it worth watching? Something for the winter months perhaps.
>> Was it worth watching?

Three series... a lot of people must have thought so. I certainly did. Although fiction, it is often spine-chillingly convincing somehow. It is consistently and thoroughly nasty, with several central characters so engaging that you almost forget how sinister and threatening it is as a depiction of, er, what you might call 'realkapitalismus'. Cumulatively, it's about as dark as you can get.

Those US TV makers at their best knock our chaps into a cocked hat... chapeau!
>> Those US TV makers at their best

I seem to remember actually that some episodes were directed by well-known Hollywood film directors, and different episodes sometimes have very different feel and atmosphere. But someone had the whole thing on a tight rein so that it was always consistent.
>> Something for the winter months perhaps.

Taster tonight on Sky Atlantic if you're interested CGN, several episodes starting with the first... it's a good idea to start at the beginning because the series is quite complex, with many layers of narrative.

It isn't everyone's cup of tea but I always find it riveting.
 James Gandolfini RIP - Zero
He was very very good in "the last castle" you could see the seeds of the "nasty b" character developed there but in a different scenario.
 James Gandolfini RIP - Dutchie
I never watched the soprano's young to die at 51.
 James Gandolfini RIP - WillDeBeest
More than three series - six of 13 episodes, plus a final run of eight culminating in the ending that had viewers spitting in incomprehension at the time but which actually makes perfect sense.

The genius of it, as AC suggests, is that it shows the characters not just as amoral monsters but as complex individuals. I've even caught myself wondering which role in a mob family would suit me (I decided on consigliatore, and not just so I could wear Silvio's shirts), which gives you an idea of how involving it is.

But don't dip in; get the first series on DVD and start from the beginning, because the first episode is crucial to understanding what follows. Be patient too - it doesn't explain everything for the hard of thinking, so it'll take a while to get your bearings. Once you do, though, don't bother buying series 2 - you'll want the full set, so just buy it.
Latest Forum Posts