Non-motoring > England flags Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 263

England flags - FocalPoint
Am I the only one who finds the attachment of England flags (presumably an expression of support for our national soccer team) faintly ridiculous - and, frankly, chav-like?

Most cars subscribing to this practice have two flags, but I saw one today with four, driven by an individual I would not like to meet in an alley late at night.
 England flags - Bromptonaut
You are not alone!!
 England flags - helicopter
I have noticed the proliferation of these flags including one who had four and one flag transfer or it may even have been painted on his bonnet

I now specifically plan my holidays to get as far away as possible such things as the football world cup finals somewhere that they are completely irrelevant ....... I go to Scotland :0) .......

Actually I will be relaxing in the mountains of Crete while the better part of the World Cup is on.....

England flags - Skoda
>> Scotland

In the 1974 World Cup, were the only team never to lose a match in the tournament.

... but went out on goal difference in the first round :-P West Germany (overall winners) lost a game in the first round
Last edited by: CraigP on Wed 26 May 10 at 16:10
 England flags - Redviper
Agreed, everytime i see them i think how awful - very chavtastic - unfortunatly where I live there are lots of them pesky chavs about - who not only are sporting england flags (both on either side of the car) but (off topic but im very angry) are now flinging water baloons/bombs at cars inc mine with a huge thud on the side of the door as you drive past
 England flags - Bigtee
Got a pole in my garden with a aerial on, at the top is a pulley guess whats going up there in 2wks.!!
 England flags - Old Navy
Our local Tesco and Halfords both have English car flags for sale. As they are both in Scotland I don't think they will need to restock for the next few years. :-)
 England flags - CGNorwich
If people want to have a bit of fun and stick a flag or two on their car why does it bother you? Not really into football myself but don't begrudge others their fun . Wall to wall football coverage on TV is surely preferable to the constant diet of gloom and despair we get on the news at the moment and I hope England do well.
 England flags - Stuu
Given that its now offensive enough that a child is at risk of being thrown off a bus for wearing an england shirt, it cant be long before these people get pulled over for it and fined at the very least :-)

I may well go and buy one of those discreet england badges for the car now although cold day in hell before I deck mine out like the entrance to a BNP rally. No thanks.
 England flags - Zero
Alas, its attitudes as shown on here, that has lost us the use of our national flag to thugs and racists.
 England flags - Falkirk Bairn
We will be wearing our "ABE" T-shirts from 11th June onwards.

ABE= Anyone BUT England
 England flags - Westpig
>> We will be wearing our "ABE" T-shirts from 11th June onwards.

...and why is that? Inferiority complex?

If (and it would be a very big if)...I were to watch a football match between say Scotland and Brazil....i'd root for the Jocks, because they are only up the road, they're neighbours and they're our partners in Great Britain.

Why the animosity the other way around?
>> >> We will be wearing our "ABE" T-shirts from 11th June onwards.
>>
>> ...and why is that? Inferiority complex?
>>

It is not the England football team - it is the attitude of the commentators on the TV ........... it is just so bad.

If the England team play well it will be appreciated for the skills shown.

If England win their 1st game the commentators will hype it as if they had won the final!
 England flags - Harleyman
>>
>> If the England team play well it will be appreciated for the skills shown.
>>
>> If England win their 1st game the commentators will hype it as if they had
>> won the final!
>>

You've obviously never heard a Six Nations commentary on Radio Wales if you think that English commentators are the only offenders in this respect!

I personally find the "ABE" fraternity to be very balanced people; they have a chip on both shoulders! ;-)
 England flags - commerdriver
>> Why the animosity the other way around?
>>
Only from a few, most of us, however patriotic we are, still like our neighbours, some even enough to marry them and come and live among them.

You will find small mindedness either humorous or even in some cases totally serious in abundance north of the border, it is not a pleasant attribute of my countrymen at times.
 England flags - Skoda
If you drive through the south or west of glasgow you'll come across many many english flags during the world cup[1]. It's definitely not all scots.

[1] the only problem is the red hand in the middle of the st georges cross...
 England flags - Stuu
>>Alas, its attitudes as shown on here, that has lost us the use of our national flag to thugs and racists<<

More that they have taken it up after it was deserted by a great many people and when one wants to roll it out for national pride, one finds its been hijacked by a very different cause. Alas indeed.

Im going to put up a German flag myself. I also have the option of Portugal or Scotland as Im only only 1/4 English anyway. I can sit on the fence with my bag of flags, see which way the wind is blowing :-)
 England flags - Runfer D'Hills
I know I'm in a minority ( so that means I'm in danger of persecution and compensation for that so it's OK....).....but, I really fail to see why anyone cares even slightly which bunch of overpaid ball kickers from which ever land mass successfully kick more balls between bits of wood than any other bunch of overpaid ball kickers.

The whole thing, in fact the whole "sport" bores me rigid. What other "game" can you think of where so much fuss is made and so much money spent and quite often no one even wins.

Couple that with the offensive tribal chanting of the often violent and foul mouthed spectators and they can keep it as far as I'm concerned.

Hope those who like it enjoy it though. Keeps the roads nice and quiet for the rest of us when there is a match on the telly.

:-)

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 26 May 10 at 19:00
 England flags - Bigtee
It would be good if England could win something the Rugby was fine but lets have the world cup!

Im not into football either but would support ENGLAND and thats what my flag is doing up there i'll watch the games and it puts most folk in a good mood when they win.

Lets try and support our ENGLAND and not moan about some flags, already seen the polish up with there's and the rest of the world who lives here will support there homeland why can't we be proud in ours?
 England flags - Roger.
Hear, hear - a like minded "footie" couldn't care lesser" here!
 England flags - swiss tony
>> Hear, hear - a like minded "footie" couldn't care lesser" here!
>>
And me, merely hearing people chat about football sends me to sleep!
 England flags - Duncan
>>>> The whole thing, in fact the whole "sport" bores me rigid. What other "game" can
>> you think of where so much fuss is made and so much money spent
>>

Tennis!
 England flags - hobby
>> >> >> you think of where so much fuss is made and so much money spent
>>
>> >>
>>
>> Tennis!
>>

Formula 1!
Come now a rather selective quotation chaps ! You "forgot" to add the " and quite often no one even wins " which is in fact the crux of the statement.
 England flags - Focusless
>> Come now a rather selective quotation chaps ! You "forgot" to add the " and
>> quite often no one even wins " which is in fact the crux of the
>> statement.

Don't follow that - if you enjoy watching a sport, you don't need a winner. Watching a team fighting back from a couple of goals down for a draw can be a lot more entertaining than an easy victory. Even a goal-less draw can be entertaining, although it's true that goals do usually help.
Fair enough and indeed therein lies a difference in what some find entertaining and others do not. As mentioned elsewhere, good luck to those who enjoy it and care about it. I simply don't and can't wait for the whole thing to stop dominating our media. I do though accept that I apparently hold a minority view, it exists, it will happen with all its pomp and circumstance, so lets get it over with as far as I'm concerned. Sooner the better.

England flags - Dog
I am English and I obviously support England, but I wouldn't put the St. Georges flag on my car here in 'non-England'.
Apologies for my rather "long" post above. Not sure why it did that but if it was my incompetance I'm very sorry, especially to those of you reading on phones !

corrected it for you
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 26 May 10 at 18:59
Thanks Dave !
 England flags - Duncan
>> I am English and I obviously support England, but I wouldn't put the St. Georges
>> flag on my car here in 'non-England'.
>>

Strange that the Jocks and the Taffs don't any such qualms here in England.
 England flags - Old Navy
>> Strange that the Jocks and the Taffs don't any such qualms here in England.
>>

There aren't as many extreme nationalists in England, some north of the border have memories that extend back hundreds of years, and have huge chips on their shoulders. They are a minority though, the vast majority are extremely hospitable.
 England flags - Dog
>>Strange that the Jocks and the Taffs don't any such qualms here in England. <<

I've got Cornish neighbs either side of here = good as gold :)
The Cornish people I've met in the past 14 years have been truly nice folk,
But, there is an element of Cornish Nationalism here (albeit very small) and mostly West of Truro,
So although I'm sure a St. Georges flag on my car would be ok,
There is always the ne'er do well malcontent scroat - with a key or some such :(
 England flags - BiggerBadderDave
I will be flying the English flag on my patio and it will probably be drowned out by Polish flags. Some of my neighbours have a proper flag masts and have been flying the Polish flag since the president was killed. All the buses and trams have little tubes on either side to take a flag and they'll be flying during the world cup.

I've got stacks of England shirts which I wear from time to time (today I'm wearing an Argentina 86 shirt). I'll damned well be wearing them in a couple of weeks time.

What a miserable bunch you are. Have you all got sand in your butt cheeks?
 England flags - Armel Coussine
Only place for a flag on a car is on a small chrome mast on the bonnet or one or both front wings. Not on the back bumper or stuck at an angle through one of the side windows. That's just carp American civil war stuff.

I can't remember if I've ever gone in a car with a pennant. If so it would have been as a passenger with the military as a child. I don't actually feel the need to parade a national symbol myself, but I can quite understand (there, there!) why the footy enthusiast stereotype might want to, without much caring if the po-faced think he doesn't care about looking like some sort of fascist...
 England flags - R.P.
I have found a very discrete St David's flag has been put on the GS by my wife, a small discrete Red Dragon on the RT and the coat of arms of Owain Glyndwr on the CRV - all very non-threatning really, and only those who know will recognise two of them.
The Scots aren't prejudiced against the English. Why would they be? Some of them are actually alright. I even married an English woman and she can be really quite nice sometimes. Just goes to show.
 England flags - Bellboy
short note from me too
i dont like them either
usually gracing y reg vectras in silver
mondeos with dodgy bumpers
or even worse they are on rover cars
lets keep them in peoples gardens with their dangerous dogs eh?
 England flags - Herr Sandwichmann
I don't particularly care for the flags but what harm do they do? An enterprising soul has managed to hang one off the top of a lamp post near me - no idea how that happened.

Can't wait for the World Cup to start - I love it. I'm having withdrawal symptoms since the end of the football season...
>> Can't wait for the World Cup to start

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who'll be watching at least the England games if I can.

I'm surprised so many people find it that bad - it might be over-hyped, the players over-paid etc. but the game still requires skill (besides acting) and can be a pleasure to watch.

Miserable bunch of so-and-sos :)
Painting and decorating requires skill but it is about as entertaining to watch......

Just can't begin to care. Sorry !

"I'm surprised so many people find it that bad"

Its that peculiarly middle class tradition of deriding anything that the masses find popular.

Nothing to do with "class" in my case. What is "class" anyway ? I don't think I have ever had any !!

No, I think it's about whether you are a do-er or a watcher. In the free time I have I like to do something and often it is a form of sport and that sometimes involves a ball so it's not an aversion to the concept. I just can't be bothered to watch other people doing it.
 England flags - Cpt. Flack
"I don't particularly care for the flags but what harm do they do?"

I don't mind patriotic "normal" people wanting to support the England team. By all means wear a replica shirt or hat. But these car flags are cheap chavistic rubbish. The car I saw the other morning had one each side, somehow pointing out horizontally not vertically. Possibility of causing harm to a cyclist, pedestrian or scratching passing traffic. I wouldn't be too happy if he had brushed me or my car.

Half the time its an excuse for the closet rascists to open up with the excuse they are flying the flag for the team. When all they are doing is rubbing it in the face of the people they dislike.

I'm glad you don't mind "normal" patriotic people but I'm still unclear why flying a flag vertically from your car renders you "abnormal" or is indeed anything to get worked up about. If we were to ban the purchase of "cheap chavistic rubbish" entire swathes of our shopping centres would have to close down'

Surely if you were a closet rascist it wouldn't be a good idea to announce your racism by flying a flag from your car window . Our local pub is completely festooned with England flags. Is it a hotbed of BNP activity? If some people wish to inject a little passion and enthusiam into their lives by supporting their football team in this way I really don't see the problem.
" but I'm still unclear why flying a flag vertically from your car renders you "abnormal" or is indeed anything to get worked up about."

I'm not getting worked up. The post I replied to couldn't see any problems with these flags. My observation was of one driver who was flying them horizontally. i.e. they were sticking out sideways on both sides. Possible problem?

"Surely if you were a closet rascist it wouldn't be a good idea to announce your racism by flying a flag from your car window . Our local pub is completely festooned with England flags. Is it a hotbed of BNP activity?"

Come on. Most racism bubbles beneath the surface. Whether in joke form or encounters day to day with certain groups in society. And I'm not only talking about white people. Seeing a pub festooned with flags and stuff brings such feelings to the surface in a "legal" way. No laws are broken and the closet racists know this. Try driving with these flags through certain areas of Scotland or N. Ireland and see how it is on the receiving end of racism, or even certain areas of England.
I think a lot (most?) of the people with flags just would like England to win, and like to feel that they're supporting their team - that's why I'll be getting one at the weekend. I'm not going to feel guilty about it - if anyone feels offended then it's unfortunate, but I'm yet to be persuaded that it's morally wrong.
Good luck to you.

As I said, many support the team but it is used as an excuse to ram it down the throat of others.

You don't need to feel guilty. The guilty ones know who they are. I will be getting a replica shirt. I am not getting the chavvy flags. They are just cheap and tackky.

It is not morally wrong. It just makes it more comfortable for the minority of passive racists who keep their opinions below the radar to use the whole affair as an excuse to be jingoistic and merge into the background with reasonable, level headed true supporters of the team.
 England flags - Mike Hannon
>>Can't wait for the World Cup to start - I love it. I'm having withdrawal symptoms since the end of the football season... <<

Has it actually ended at last, then?
 England flags - Old Navy
>> Has it actually ended at last, then?
>>
I hope they don't start up again as soon as the current hysteria ends.
 England flags - BobbyG
What is wrong with the flags, after all you have won the World Cup, why shouldn't you be allowed to celebrate?

What do you mean you haven't won it yet????............
 England flags - NortonES2
When does it start, and more importantly, end? I didn't know when SWMBO asked today.
 England flags - Roger.
I shall make really serious efforts not to watch a single game in the over-hyped garbage.
 England flags - Dave_
landsker, Humph, me... That's three then.

When people ask me what my sporting interests are, I normally reply to the effect that nothing interests me if it involves balls; but if wheels are involved, then I'm your man!
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 26 May 10 at 21:48
 England flags - Old Navy
>> landsker, Humph, me... That's three then.
>>
And me. Why do the football chasers kiss each other when they get the ball through the thing at the end of the grass?
Possibly because some of them seem to have trouble with verbal communication skills. Like chimpanzees they rely more heavily on body language.
 England flags - MD
>> What do you mean you haven't won it yet????............
>>
1966 and all that!
 England flags - BobbyG
And 2010 as well Martin, well it seems a foregone conclusion the way the commentators and pundits are talking.....
 England flags - zookeeper
will we all be cheering on saturday...EUrovision and all that?
I yield to none in my indifference to soccer and its culture, but even I may watch parts of some of the later games. It's a lot more amusing than snooker or darts as a rule.
>> will we all be cheering on saturday...EUrovision and all that?

Going to be out unfortunately otherwise I would be - has to be watched live.

I just realised that when I changed work laptops earlier this year I left behind a download of Iceland's 2000 entry 'Tell me'. Fortunately it's on youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6tVYFm0XR0

Great, isn't it?
 England flags - -
Landsker, Hump, Dave, Navy and me too, i'd rather shave my eyeballs than partake of this hyped up money making footy scam, the money involved in this game being nearly as obscene as that paid to film and TV celebs.
>> the money involved in this game being nearly
>> as obscene as that paid to film and TV celebs.

...and F1 drivers?
 England flags - -

>> ...and F1 drivers?
>>
Oh yes...and i find F1 slightly more boring than the beautiful game.
Ahh but the best Eurovision entry was France 1996:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iRBfuV8Y1k&feature=related

England flags - Ted

I enjoy the England games and , of course, Manchester City, but not to the extent of flags.
I did have a stick on Union Flag on the Scenic's tailgate but it was only to cover a scratch made getting a stick-on fish off.

I have a discreet Union Flag, in enamel on each front wing of the old car. The're fitted with double-sided automotive tape. I cut the heads off two chrome BA screws and superglued them in the fitting holes. Slotted screws, of course, with the slots lined up with each other.........How's that for anality ?

Ted
The word is discreet, Ted. And that old car of yours is British to de bone, innit?

I take a middling view of all this flagwaving and inflammation. People do dearly love their footer and feelings run awfully high. It's hard to witness an important national game without feeling some emotional tug, surely? Of course some people are cooler than I am.

As for the vulgarity of the England bunting and regalia, surely that isn't much of a problem? I mean those rough and chavved-up motors would be just as socially identifiable without them. People are talking as if the flags showed some new, hitherto unsuspected depth of depravity in ordinary knockabout English blokes with tattoos, white vans and an assortment of motors, a bit like us really.
My non-chav stepson has a window flag in his Yaris, but I wasn't going to bother. However, after reading some of the comments in this thread I've changed my mind >:)

EDIT: (that's not directed at you AC)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 26 May 10 at 23:06
ive got a white (ish) car and i was going to "flag it up" with some red gaffer tape
SWMBO wont have any of it , but she is italian ...oh well
 England flags - Ted

British to de bone it is, Carmel. As indeed am I.
I would think it's a bit iffy proclaiming your football allegiance so openly. Not the national side, of course, but local favourite. A blue can easily upset a red and vice-versa.

Remember the Garfield Liberation Front of some years ago ? Lots of work for the auto glass firms. I have a genuine boxed Churchill nodding dog and that's where he stays....in his box.
Shame, but I'd rather not have my window put in by some moron.

Talking of which, what did muggins here do last week ? Bought some timber for my new gates. Now the Suzi will take 2.7 metres if the end is put up on the top of the dash.
I shut the back door and sent a length into the screen, cracking it ! It was OK to use for the weekend, being ' lanimated '. Autoglass came today and put me a new one in.
What a turnip !!

Ted
I know I've posted this before, but on the way to a pub not far from King's Cross once I passed some triumphant, or smarting, England fans chanting 'We hate Scotland! We hate Scotland!' in a boring but fairly good-humoured way.

In the pub I was quoting them, none too quietly, to a companion when I heard a quiet cough behind me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a quite big bloke with a blue face with a white cross on it, fortunately a nice peaceable big bloke though. Phew!
 England flags - rtj70
Many years ago when travelling back from South Wales to Manchester (when I was a student) I got stuck on a train full of Scot's heading north after the weekend's rugby game at the Arm's Park. Cannot remember who won that year - but irrelevant.

Not only were they a really friendly bunch, but they'd stayed with Welsh friends when they stopped over in Wales for the game. The friends made at a previous match. The next year the Welsh would stay with the Scots in Edinburgh.... now could you imagine that happening for the English?

As a Welsh person, I don't think it would happen - which is a shame. Rugby, football etc is only a sport.
 England flags - commerdriver
>> As a Welsh person, I don't think it would happen - which is a shame.
>> Rugby, football etc is only a sport.
>>
No Rugby is a sport, football is a game.
Scottish English, Welsh and any other rugby fans in my experience get on perfectly well, a bit of banter but that's about it
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - Ian (Cape Town)
here, every man and his dog, for some reason, has the flag on their cars.
BUT we do things bette - no too much of this *I can't say pie-key, can I?* tat flag on a stick nonsense:
Try these:

www.yourzela.com/wrapz.html

Superb. Except, even after 15 years of our new flag, the morons STILL manage to fit them upside down.
it's red on top, idiots!

the hype around WC2010 is amazing. Almost everyone walking around in nationla shirts, all billboards etc emblazoned with sponsors' messages, flags go up next week on all lampposts - any earlier they'd get nicked, or blown away by the wind!

Now, all we need is a team which can get past the first round... no host nation before has ever been blown out that early, so we can make history! Mexico, Urugauy France in our group. Old heads may recall that was englan's group in 1966... which is a good omen.

Go bafana bafana!
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Thu 27 May 10 at 06:05
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - Bigtee
>> What do you mean you haven't won it yet????............
>>
1966 and all that!

God man i wasn't born then......................

Thats when men were men not kissing each other on the pitch and possibly off.
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - R.P.
middle class tradition of deriding anything that the masses find popular.

I have tried very hard to enjoy/like it all my life to no avail, I gave up trying when turned forty and was no longer bothered to be involved in football conversation at work. It bores me rigid and the banter and chat in work used to annoy me in work in the latter years. I will watch chunks of the World Cup but on my terms.

what is this world cup of which you speak? - Cliff Pope
I've never had the slightest interest in any sport, and I don't care who wins.

Flying a flag on anything smaller than a palace or a Rolls Royce is simply naff.
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - helicopter
After reading and commenting on this thread last night, on the way home I was following a moron with one of these plastic flags taped to his rear screen wiper......presumably it waved from side to side when he turned it on........

what is this world cup of which you speak? - Focusless
>> ...I was following a moron with one of these plastic flags taped to his rear screen wiper...

I don't know about moron - sounds like human ingenuity!
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - Runfer D'Hills
I utterly respect the enthusiasm of the true fans of football. It is good and healthy to have a passion outside of one's normal routine. I have though, utter contempt for the violence and mob aggression of some football fans.

I too have tried to take at least a casual interest in football all my life as in some circles it would seem to be the dominant topic of conversation and one can feel quite left out at times. However, I too have now given up. It is not for me, but as said above I truly hope the impending tournament brings joy to those who are enthused by it. I hope your team wins.

I suppose we car bores irritate others too when get on "our" subject in public ! I know in my case I can and do talk for hours on the subjects of skiing, mountain biking and martial arts, all diciplines I have participated in and officiated on at quite high levels but when I'm in the company of those who have no interest in those sports I do try very hard to control my urge to discuss them ad nauseam and certainly wouldn't wander round in some element of their uniforms when not actually participating in them or display banners, flags or other regalia relating to them from my car or house.

But...if that's what people want to do, fair play to them. A minority of us, it would seem, would prefer that they didn't but we can and do live with it. It's not such a big deal but as the question was asked, that is my opinion. As they say "for what little it's worth"..

Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 27 May 10 at 09:18
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - kensitas
Wow! So much hand-wringing angst over a few flags (not aimed at the above post, but generally..) - it's more like a debate of the ultra-PCs.

Any other country in the world would be proud to show a bit solidarity with their national team & be delighted to flutter a few flags to build up atmosphere. In fact, most other countries fly flags & shout their heads-off at the least opportunity for national aggrandisement or kudos.

Whether you like football or not - and I personally think there's something rather lacking in those that actively dislike it - it represents an opportunity for a bit of relief from clunking reality to the supporter cheering his 'local' club team & national teams can do likewise for all of us.

I (probably) won't be flying the flag - but that's more down to my discrete demeanour than anything else - but I give the thumbs-up to those that do.

Last edited by: kensitas on Thu 27 May 10 at 09:46
>>
>> Any other country in the world would be proud to show a bit solidarity with
>> their national team & be delighted to flutter a few flags to build up atmosphere.>>
>>
>>

And it started a war in South America (Chile/Bolivia?) when the atmosphere got out of hand. These things need nipping in the bud :)
>>And it started a war in South America (Chile/Bolivia?) when the atmosphere got out of >>hand. These things need nipping in the bud :)

You can't be serious.

Perhaps we shouldn't have elections either, in case we get political killings like they do in less savoury parts of the world...?
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> you can't be serious

Yep.
It was Honduras v El Salvador, 1969

the tie between Honduras and El Salvador proved to be the catalyst that turned simmering border tension and immigration issues into all-out war.

The two teams met in a play-off that had more at stake than simply a place at the 1970 World Cup in Mexico and each side was subjected to abuse, xenophobia and hatred when playing in the other country.

After losing 3-0 in El Salvador, Honduras coach Mario Griffin wryly observed: "We're awfully lucky that we lost."

El Salvador progressed to the World Cup finals but neither side prospered from the Soccer War, as it has become known, which broke out less than three weeks after Honduras were eliminated.

The war lasted 100 hours and left an estimated 6,000 dead and 12,000 wounded.

>>Yep.
>>It was Honduras v El Salvador, 1969

Sorry, you miss the point. I can google as well as any & am aware of the original reference.

The point was in comparing the extreme reactions from a point in history & pretending that's a meaningful analogy or comparison.

Let me make another analogy - would you expect the local vicar's tea party to be attacked by the local Methodists, just because in some parts of the world religious factions kill each other?

Yes, just as daft as the original premise.
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - DP
Adorning your car with flags might not be everyone's idea of fun, but surely it's harmless enough as long as the flags are securely attached and don't come off / fall apart.

I might buy myself one, actually. ;-)
>> >>
>> Sorry, you miss the point. >>
>> The point was in comparing the extreme reactions from a point in history & pretending
>> that's a meaningful analogy or comparison.
>>
>>>>

You missed my "smilie". What I really need is a tongue-in-cheek emoticon.
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - Snakey
Personally I don't like them. But I'm still amazed there hasn't been some Health and Safety related outcry and an instant ban.

Weren't various taxi drivers banned from sporting England flags a few years ago in case it offended certain minorities? It was a few specific councils that did it.

I like the bloke who painted the St Georges cross on the front of his house (next to Hester Bloomingstupidname's Fat Duck) - looked like a nice job!
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - TheManWithNoName
Yours is probably one of the best posts on this page Kensitas.

Having read all of them I'm thinking 'I've never found such a large bunch of miserable Puritans together in one place'.
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - Runfer D'Hills
What exactly is it about not liking football which makes someone a "miserable puritan" ?
I've been lucky enough to have experienced some rather extreme forms of sports related excitement and frankly shouting at football players from the terraces or on a TV screen comes pretty low on the list of things I would find interesting or stimulating to do. Others seem to enjoy doing that and that's fine by me. I accuse them of nothing other than a lack of imagination.

what is this world cup of which you speak? - Focusless
>> What exactly is it about not liking football which makes someone a "miserable puritan" ?

Don't know about TheManWithNoName but you do tend to get the impression from some posters that it's not that they just don't like football - it's more like they're saying it's wrong to like football, and that anyone who does is a chav/racist/unimaginative etc. Perhaps no one has actually said this, or if they did it was in jest, but I can see where TMWNN is coming from.
 what is this world cup of which you speak? - R.P.
I don't like football at all. I'm happy for other people to enjoy whatever they want to as long as it's reasonably legal and I don't have to buy into it.
 England flags - L'escargot
Even if they're made abroad, the distribution and sales of them provides employment in this country and that's good. The more the merrier, I say.
>> Even if they're made abroad, the distribution and sales of them provides employment in this
>> country and that's good.

The petrol stations/companies must be looking forward to all the extra business due to the increased drag caused by the attached flags and corresponding increase in fuel consumption :)
 England flags - helicopter
Most of this sort of souvenir tat is made in China......by exploited labour for a bowl of rice in conditions that would breach every ' Elf and Safety' law in the UK .

I remember standing in the Elvis Presley souvenir shop in Memphis watching them shelf stacking from cardboard cartons bearing the words ' Made in China'

Just been out to the bank and seen another one our local chavs with four plastic flags on the roof and a stick on transfer type one covering most of his passenger door......
 England flags - Bagpuss
I'm a football fan. I have some England flags left over from 2006 which I'll fix to the fence (again), it'll break the boredom of the black-red-yellow flags everyone else here will be flying and I won't have to make space for my wife's flags as her country didn't qualify. Hopefully my flags'll be able to stay up a bit longer than in 2006. The World Cup is great when it's in the same time zone. You can sit in a beer garden, watch the games on the big screen, drink beer and cheer for someone.

On the subject of football, I have a sticker in the back window of my car from the premiership club I've supported since childhood - not one of the mega-clubs. It's resulted in some interesting and pleasant conversations at petrol stations and in car parks.
 England flags - R.P.
Bagpuss,

I was in Hannover and Minden last summer and noticed a number of the "old" German Republic (pre nazi) flags - is this a trend there ?
 England flags - Bagpuss
The trend is for regionalised flags in Germany. For example in Bavaria, where I live, you can get Bavarian flags (checkerboard blue and white) and combined Bavarian/ German flags. In some parts of Central and Northern Germany there is also the old Prussian tradition. These traditions don't just predate the nazis, they actually predate Germany which has only existed as a country since 1871 under Otto von Bismarck.
 England flags - BobbyG
Just saw an article on BBC News Channel that sums up why there is some resentment towards England football from the Scottish. as previously mentioned its not the English people, its the English commentator and reporter attitudes.

They are running an article on Brazilian football, focussing on the lack of facilities etc that are available to them and the quote was "all these bare footed Beckham wannabes".

Sums it up.
 England flags - Bazzabear

>> They are running an article on Brazilian football, focussing on the lack of facilities etc
>> that are available to them and the quote was "all these bare footed Beckham wannabes".
>>
>> Sums it up.

Or it just means that Beckham is a very famous person, and therefore the first name that came to mind which enabled the alliterative phrase the reporter was looking for, and you're being over-sensitive of course!
I have to admit, I can't readily think of a Brazilian legend whose name starts with a 'B'.
 England flags - Iffy
How on earth can an Englishman describing Brazilian youngsters as 'Beckham wannabes' be a sleight on Scottish football?

That's straight out of the lorry drivers' book of conspiracy theories. :)

Indeed. I first heard the name of David Beckham from a visiting Algerian, a very long time ago. He was already a hero in Algeria. I suppose he was here too, but such is my basic indifference to footy that I hadn't noticed.
 England flags - BobbyG
IIH, its not a sleight on Scottish football, but it is why your near neighbours don't like your over hyped commentators and pundits!
 England flags - Iffy
...IIH, its not a sleight on Scottish football, but it is why your near neighbours don't like your over hyped commentators and pundits!...

Sorry Bobby, I still don't get it.

David Beckham is probably the most famous footballer on the planet, it might have as much to do with marketing skills as football skills, but it's still true.

He's as well-known as any player in Europe, and he is about the only European footballer who has any sort of profile in America.

It's difficult to see how someone who has such prominence could be over-hyped.

On a slightly different tack, I agree some commentators in England over-hype the games.

Sky is the main culprit, but I think BBC radio commentators give an honest assessment, leaving the terrestrial telly fellas somewhere in between.
 England flags - Pat
Oi, I might not like footie but I do read the threads:):)

Pat
 England flags - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I have to admit, I can't readily think of a Brazilian legend whose name starts
>> with a 'B'.
>>
Well, without even googling, I can give you Bebeto and Branco, who were both part of the 94 squad...

:)
 England flags - kensitas
>> I have to admit, I can't readily think of a Brazilian legend whose name starts
>> with a 'B'.
>>

Also, Barjinho, Bocrates, Bonaldo, Bele ... almost endless....
 England flags - madf
I would like to thank the drivers of cars with Flags on them for warning me how bad their driving is and what total muppets they are. I give them a wide berth.
 England flags - Dulwich Estate
Patriotic flag fliers - oh really ?

Chinese made tat flown from Japanese, Korean, German etc. cars.

Makes you wonder.
>> Patriotic flag fliers - oh really ?
>>
>> Chinese made tat flown from Japanese, Korean, German etc. cars.

I agree it's a pity they're probably not made in this country, but distribution and sales of them provides employment in this country and that's good. The more the merrier.
>> I agree it's a pity they're probably not made in this country, but distribution and
>> sales of them provides employment in this country and that's good. The more the merrier.

Well I've done my bit - £1 for a pack of 2 :)
 England flags - BiggerBadderDave
I've done my bit too, I've got a huge sponge top hat in England colours. It was free with a case of beer but so what...
 England flags - Iffy
There was an 'England supporters kit' in Tesco for £4, consisting of a flag, hat, whistle and a pack of four...Fusion razor blades.

I was tempted because a pound a blade is about as good as you'll get.

Trouble is I'm not 100 per cent sure Fusion will fit my Mach3 handle.

Yours in stubble....

England flags - Pat
Apparently some on here think stubble is compulsory to like football and flags:)

Pat
 England flags - Zero
you forgot Bele, the most famous of them all
 England flags - scousehonda
That'll be Bier Bele presumably.
 England flags - Dog
Ere!!! I ventured out into deepest darkest Cornwall yesterday,
The abode of the Cornish nationalists such as an gof and mebyon kernow, with place names such as Angarrack, Pengegon, Carwynnen, Nancegollan, Relubbus, (don't let em tell ya this is England)
What really smacked my gob was the sheer amount of St. Georges flags
and a boozer absolutely festooned in red crosses.
No 'Anyone BUT England' T shirts down ere!
 England flags - sherlock47
>>>>>names such as Angarrack, Pengegon, Carwynnen, Nancegollan, Relubbus, (don't let em tell ya this is England) What really smacked my gob was the sheer amount of St. Georges flags and a boozer absolutely festooned in red crosses.

>>>No 'Anyone BUT England' T shirts down ere! <<<

That will be all the second home owners from Essex then!
 England flags - SteelSpark
Seems that taxi drivers have been banned from displaying them in Canterbury

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8709173.stm

Ah I see he authority has said it is happy to review the policy but that a full consultation needs to take place.

There alway has to be a properly constituted forum to decide these massively important matters. I suppose it will mean a dozen men in suits sitting around a table to decide if a cab drive can attach a flag to his cab. Obviously no scope for cuts in that council
 England flags - SteelSpark
>> Ah I see he authority has said it is happy to review the policy but
>> that a full consultation needs to take place.
>>
>> There alway has to be a properly constituted forum to decide these massively important matters.
>> I suppose it will mean a dozen men in suits sitting around a table to
>> decide if a cab drive can attach a flag to his cab. Obviously no scope
>> for cuts in that council

Also, the consultation will take six months, so it might be of use for Euro 2012 (if we qualify). The classic way to appear open to input when you don't want to change your mind, make the consultation take so long that the thing being reviewed is no longer relevant.
 England flags - Dave_
>> Seems that taxi drivers have been banned from displaying them

Tut, I used to fastidiously attach a streaming St George flag from my beesting radio aerial (at the appropriate times, of course!) when I drove a taxi - no point getting the "shut in the window" types because of the number of punters who would put the window down on a hot day. Usually after commenting on how cool the aircon was in my car...
 England flags - Ted
Manchester bin men have been banned from having flags or stickers on the trucks by the owning company on the grounds that they are an elf and safety issue.

The City Council has over-ruled them and say it's OK.
Some common sense at last. I think they were also banned at some point from having the obligatory teddy bears and dolls on the truck grilles !
You couldn't make it up, as Littlejohn says.

Ted
 England flags - Netsur
It is a real shame that flying any of our national flags is seen as racist. Everywhere else in the world it is patriotic, particularly at a a time of national crisis, celebration or support. Just look at American front gardens when its troops go into battle or on 4th July.

Other countries are the same. Why do we permit the BNP to have a monopoly over such matters?

What annoys me is to see the Union Flag flown upside down.
 England flags - Iffy
What annoys me is I don't remember how you tell it's upside down, despite being told several times.

>> What annoys me is I don't remember how you tell it's upside down, despite being
>> told several times.

This shows you, as well as tells you. tinyurl.com/cor6y
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 30 May 10 at 11:21
 England flags - Iffy
Thanks - I will try to remember this time.
 England flags - swiss tony
try this as a memory jogger, 'your alright (white) going up the pole'.
Slightly off-thread but Hyundai are giving away free footballs in exchange for old ones:
www.hyundai.co.uk/aboutHyundai/worldCup-2010/events.php
 England flags - RattleandSmoke
I hate football and always have done. I just don't see why people get so worked up about it. However I will support Eng-erland at the world cup and I will probably watch some of the matches. Although I think it is chavy if people want to put up flags then its not doing anybody any harm.

>> Although I think it is chavy if people
>> want to put up flags then its not doing anybody any harm.

mine looks great on the Focus, innit
"Hyundai are giving away free footballs "

What sort of warranty do they have?
 England flags - Ted

Nice to see my neighbours across the road both have England flags on their two cars.....puts me to shame.
Usman and Moeena.....not typical English names.........lovely young couple !

Ted
 England flags - hobby
After all the reference to "chavs", both people and car versions, I've been looking at the cars I've seen displaying them... and have to admit that the majority were not chavvy in any way, shape, or form! Urban myth perhaps?

I won't be displaying them, though, as I just can't be bothered... and I will be on two weeks hols in Germany during the cup!!
 England flags - Redviper
As Rattle has said, i also hate football no interest in it whatsoever, but will take a interest in England, and will watch the matches.

As for the flags well - no thanks i cant be bothered with that makes the car look "chavy"

I see England won a game today - 3-0 against a local club.
 England flags - Duncan
>> I see England won a game today - 3-0 against a local club.
>>

How are Scotland getting on with their games in The World Cup?
 England flags - Zero
< wince > ooo thats a low blow.

Nice one.
>>
>> How are Scotland getting on with their games in The World Cup?
>>

We admit Scotland Football is rubbish.

The English supporters think their national team is a reflection of the Premiership - which is "full of Foreigners".
 England flags - hobby
>> The English supporters think their national team is a reflection of the Premiership - which
>> is "full of Foreigners".
>>

One of the papers had a full list of all teams that had players in the World Cup... it was interesting that of the top six English Premier clubs all but one had at least 3 England players and most had 4 or 5...
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 8 Jun 10 at 09:26
 England flags - Alanovich

>> One of the papers had a full list of all teams that had players in
>> the World Cup... it was interesting that of the top six English Premier clubs all
>> but one had at least 3 England players and most had 4 or 5...
>>

That's because players get picked depending on what team they play for - i.e. any player who is English and plays for a fahsionable "successful" club in the "big four" is an automatic pick.

There are better players who would make a better team, but they seldom get a look in until transfered to a "glamorous" club. In my ever so humble.

I've supported Scotland all my life, but my little boy is really into England now so we'll be cheering for them (and Serbia, he is half Serb after all).

FB is right, we (Scotland) know we're rubbish and have no expectations, we just enjoy the party when we're fortunate enough to qualify. Quite a contrast to the usual pride-before-the-fall of the England team and its followers.
 England flags - BobbyG
Exactly Alanovic, how many times do you see Scottish players not getting near the international team and then as soon as they sign for the Old Firm they are in the next squad!!!
Don't start me on the Old Firm. Grrrr. The absolute and complete reason for the rest of Scottish football being so execrable. I loathe them. One of the very few reasons why I'm grateful I don't live in Scotland is that I'd have to suffer the almost 100% focus of the entire media on to these two clubs. It's bad enough in England though, where no one but Man U, Chelsea, arsenal and Liverpool merit a mention.

Danny Baker had it right about Chelsea. A second division club which won the pools. Although I have to say that my club (Fulham) is a third division club which won the local school raffle for a 50" plasma telly.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Jun 10 at 12:44
 England flags - Zero
Scottish football, with the exception of the big two, has ALWAYS been rubbish, well below par. Sometimes stuff happens, like a fergie comes along and gets a good club going, but thats the exception rather than the rule. Its been that way for the last 30 years. And frankly, even the big two dont cut in english standards, let alone european.

AS for only the big teams get players into the squad, nearly relegated West Ham have two players who are likely to make the core of the squad.

English football has a problem for sure. Too much money, demanding instant success, has sucked in the cream of world players, leaving no room to nuture and develop home grown players. Europe has similar problems.
>> AS for only the big teams get players into the squad, nearly relegated West Ham
>> have two players who are likely to make the core of the squad.

Thanks for reminding me, nearly relegated (not nearly enough) West Ham players are allowed too. Because West Ham won the World Cup in 1966, they are the "Academy of Football" and Trevor Brooking runs the FA. I'd forgotten about all that twaddle.

Of course, players who also once played for a "giant" club are automatic picks. The current manager said that he'd pick on form but, seriously, if Zamora had been fit, he'd still have picked Heskey because he used to play for Liverpool and still plays for a far more fashionable team than Zamora's. Laughable.
 England flags - hobby
>> That's because players get picked depending on what team they play for - i.e. any
>> player who is English and plays for a fahsionable "successful" club in the "big four"
>> is an automatic pick.
>>

Might have been with previous England managers, but I don't agree with this one... if they weren't good enough they wouldn't be there... having said that they wouldn't be in the top sides unless they were good either... so I feel they have been picked on merit, not who they play for.

As for Scotland, I can't comment... looking back at their heyday where they had some really good players I can't understand whats gone wrong... don't they have youth teams up there any more? Or are the Scottish youth of today really not interested in football?
>> As for Scotland

The fact that the population is about a tenth that of England doesn't help.
 England flags - Zero
they only have a tenth of the number of teams, so that evens it out.
 England flags - hobby
>> >> As for Scotland
>>
>> The fact that the population is about a tenth that of England doesn't help.
>>

Denmark... Serbia... Slovakia...?

As I said I don't know whats gone wrong... I used to enjoy watching them in the old days and when I lived up there (in your home town, FB!) and I used to cheer them on with the best of you... I hope they do sort themselves out!
>> >> As for Scotland
>>
>> The fact that the population is about a tenth that of England doesn't help.
>>

Another factor - about 30+ years ago there was a lot of ill feeling amongst teachers and gym teachers especially re Pay levels - many withdrew their support/help with school teams - both primary and secondary. Over the years the smaller the pool becomes the smaller the number of good talent coming through.

To reverse thsi you need to invest money at all levels but especially at the young!
Invest now and reap the benefits in 20/30 years time..............in the current climate I think not.
>> I see England won a game today - 3-0 against a local club.

Without our flags it would only have been 2-0.
 England flags - Bellboy
seen the behometh of flags on houses today
i couldnt see the house for it..................
Platinum Stars.
Nothing to write home about.
>> Am I the only one who finds the attachment of England flags (presumably an expression
>> of support for our national soccer team) faintly ridiculous - and, frankly, chav-like?

I like them, because their distribution and sales produces employment. I particularly like this Union Flag Roof Kit, because of its large size. tinyurl.com/346a2wb
 England flags - Brentus
I used to put 2 england flags on the car. Thats before i wised up and realised it cut into the fuel consumption too much. However i must admit i put 1 on this St George's day.
Just discovered I've drawn South Korea in the office sweepstake. Not a problem though as I'm sure Asda are selling their flags as well...
"David Cameron has said he will fly the flag of St George over No 10 during the football World Cup in South Africa."
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10274536.stm

But he should really have one on the car :)
 England flags - Zero
>> Just discovered I've drawn South Korea in the office sweepstake. Not a problem though as
>> I'm sure Asda are selling their flags as well...

well at least you get scrapage and a 7 year warranty with the south korean flags.
 England flags - Tooslow
Chris, I'm with you. The Germanic script used by many the last time round was amusing too.

JH
 England flags - Bagpuss
Visited a customer of mine today. The CEO already has Germany flags on his S-Class. He asked me if I was going to put England flags on my car. Before, obviously, pointing out there's no point as we would go out on penalties anyway. Ho ho, german sense of humour.
>> pointing out there's no point as we would go out on penalties anyway.
>> Ho ho, german sense of humour.

Obviously joking if he thinks we're getting past the group stages. We're up against the likes of USA don't forget.
 England flags - Brentus
Bagpuss the first opportunity England have to win on penalty's will be in the round of16 first knockout matches. Guess who we could meet. Yeah you guessed it Germany or Australia.
 England flags - Bagpuss
>> Bagpuss the first opportunity England have to win on penalty's will be in the round
>> of16 first knockout matches. Guess who we could meet. Yeah you guessed it Germany or Australia.

I don't think my customer is that well informed. He just likes taking the michael out of the inability of our highly paid superstars to take a kick from the spot and put the ball in the net rather than into the stands or the hands of the goalie. He's not the only one.

On the other hand, it hasn't gone unnoticed that the oldest team in 2006 won the World Cup (Italy) against the second oldest team (France). This year, apparently, the England team qualifies as the tournament's coffin dodgers by having the highest average age (according to the press - haven't checked it myself).

Germans are astonished that despite the Premiership being the best national league in the world (and football fans here always follow the Premiership), England are always crap in international competitions.
 England flags - Brentus
Thats an interesting stastistic Bagpuss. The only other tournament England won beside 1966 was the tourne de troue (forgive spelling) i think there were 4 teams in it. I never diss England over the years we have had some very bad luck really. Gutted though when we didnt make usa 1994.
 England flags - Bagpuss
Double gutted myself when we went out to Germany in the European Championships at Wembley in 1996 - penalties again - thank you Gareth Southgate. I had visitors from Germany staying with me for that one.
 England flags - Brentus
Ill go one better Bagpuss. I was actually working for the germans. To make it worse in England (oxford area). Gutted you dont know meaning of the word Ha Ha Ha.
 England flags - Bagpuss
I was in Germany in 1990 when they won the World Cup. Damn. Watched the England game in an irish pub where everyone (especially the irish) was cheering for Germany. Penalties again - thank you Stuart Pearce.
 England flags - Bagpuss

>> thank you Stuart Pearce.

...and Chris Waddle, obviously.
 England flags - Brentus
I have spent a lot of time in Scotland as well . The Scots always cheer for whoever England are playing.
 England flags - Bagpuss
Well, having endured irish fans wearing Maradona tops in the late eighties and early nineties following the "Hand of God" goal against England in 1986, I privately celebrated when Ireland failed to qualify this year due to a similarly other worldly incident involving Thierry Henry.

Not that I harbour a grudge or anything.
 England flags - Manatee
No problem with the flags, a bit of fun as far as I'm concerned, though I'm not given to that sort of display myself being a retiring type.

What I'd like to know is, what are the best tactics for winning the office fantasy world cup competition? I know sod all about fitball, the best idea I've had so far is to look at the betting for highest goal scorers?
 England flags - Brentus
Manatee it depends how the point scoring is going to be worked.

A local shop has these in stock. Not sure whether showing support for the England Team on your rubbish bin is meant to be an ironic statement.

www.bindividual.co.uk/Patriotic/England/England-Shield?cPath=32
Oh Lordy.
The big thing here is the vuvuzela - that toneless loud plastic trumpet so beloved by local fans.
The whole of Cape Town was jammed yesterday with thousands of vuvuzela blowing numpties. My ears are still trying to recover.

Off to featch my tickets and accreditation later - Uruguay v France at Cape Town Stadium tomorrow... bring it on, Uruguay!
 England flags - Duncan
>> Oh Lordy.

Don't worry!

At the end of the first round England's involvement in the Wendyball competition will be over - fortunately.
>> >> Oh Lordy.
>>
>> Don't worry!
>>
>> At the end of the first round England's involvement in the Wendyball competition will be
>> over - fortunately.
>>

Depends if that unreconstructed Pykie Rooney decides to open his fat gob again, I suppose...
Guaranteed the yanks are going to target him, and just wait for the shrekalike to do or say something stupid.
Our local council doesn't allow any stickers on bins, other than the house number.
>> Our local council doesn't allow any stickers on bins, other than the house number.
>>

even then some people seem to make a right mess of painting a couple of numbers on a bin
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 4 Jul 11 at 00:57
 England flags - Zero
House numbers on the bin is an excelent idea. Burglers love them. NIce bin standing outside advertising which house is unoccupied.............
 England flags - Haywain
>> House numbers on the bin is an excelent idea. Burglers love them. >>

Can't think why - our bin is out there now whilst the dog and I are in the house.
 England flags - Iffy
Many houses in the north east have back yards and burglars use wheelie bins as a climbing aid to get over the wall of the yard.

England flags - BobbyG
Taxi drivers love wheelie bins with numbers on them as many houses don't!
In fact I sense a new thread..
>> even then some people seem to make a right mess of painting a couple
>> of numbers on a bin
>>

When we first got the bins, we were supplied with self-adhesive labels together with instructions as to how they should be used.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 4 Jul 11 at 00:57
The Prime Minister intends to fly an England flag over his official residence during what duncan amusingly calls the wendyball competition.

Is Mr Cameron a chav?

Discuss.
>> Discuss.

hope you have more luck :)
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=1427&m=28432&v=e
Guh...

Mumble, drool...
Well I'll discuss it now there's someone to discuss it with :)

The Queen doesn't get called a chav for flying flags at her house (AFAIK), so I guess it's a question of whether DC is closer to Liz or the man on the street. I'm sure he would claim the latter, so, yes.
>> The Queen doesn't get called a chav for flying flags at her house

You may remember Focus that she was in fact severely criticised by sections of the media for flying her own standard over Buckingham Palace when at home, and no flag the rest of the time, after the untimely death of Diana Princess of Wales, so severely indeed that the poor lady had to knuckle under to this alleged popular pressure and fly a union flag there. I suspect all that was engineered by the egregious Rupert Murdoch, an enemy of this country.

Actually Downing Street normally flies a union flag too. Armed forces establishments also tend to fly flags of one sort and another, so there's nothing obviously chavvy about flying a flag. Every French town hall flies one too, and the police stations.

The more I think about flags the more I like them. Almost feel like getting one myself, but I don't have to. There are plenty of others in nearby windows to keep my spirits up. Of course some of them are Brazilian (there seem to be a lot of Brazilians round here) but that's OK. Colourful.

'Put out more flags'.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 10 Jun 10 at 17:16
 England flags - Pat
I've kept quiet on this thread but can't do so any longer!

I hate football and lost the will to watch it when they dressed the goalie in different colours to the rest of the team, because I didn't know what end the ball should have been going to.

I have a family at Leicester who are all mad on it and support Leicester City through thick and thin, just as they will support England.

I really cannot believe that so many of you find SOMEONE ELSE flying a flag on their car, or house during a few weeks of a once in four years event, objectionable. ( or chavy)
And I know that's grammatically incorrect too!

Why is it so distasteful? It's their enjoyment and surely everyone is entitled to show their support of our national team in any way they want to.

I know I'll get accused of having a chip on my shoulder, but I'd like to bet it's something to do with it being the most popular sport of the working class people of this country.

It's no different to anyone walking around in a F1 Paddock Jacket.

There's far more to get worked up about than a few flags flying from cars, and most of the people who complain also complained that we don't celebrate St Georges Day in England.

It's listening to JV at lunchtime that really wound me up about this.

Now, if you really want to put all your hot air to good use, can I suggest you contact your local political party and demand they remove their Election posters from around our beautiful countryside!

Last edited by: pda on Thu 10 Jun 10 at 17:36
>> >> The Queen doesn't get called a chav for flying flags at her house
>>
>> You may remember Focus that she was in fact severely criticised by sections of the
>> media

If I was aware of it I had forgotten - sounds daft to me (the criticism, not the flag-flying).

>> so there's nothing obviously chavvy about flying a flag.

No, I agree. Although I admit when I see a flag flying in someone's garden I probably start making negative assumptions about the owner. But I know I shouldn't.

>> 'Put out more flags'.

I've nearly stopped feeling self-conscious when I go out in the Focus with its solitary flag attached to the window...
Even in America where ordinary citizens often have a flagstaff in their front yard (they don't have gardens) with the stars and stripes flapping from it, they aren't all right-wing Republicans although I'm afraid quite a lot must be. But many of them are just innocent confused patriots, God help us all.
 England flags - Dog
Well done Welbeck Ave. in Manchester, England ~
www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3009237/Cross-country-over-England-flag-ban.html
>> www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3009237/Cross-country-over-England-flag-ban.html

and nice Zonda!
If you don't want an England flag these people have a nice range.

www.cafepress.co.uk/+romanian-flag+bumper-stickers?page=2
 England flags - Dog
>>If you don't want an England flag these people have a nice range.<<

Don't let Mr Zzz see these for gawds sake!
 England flags - Bagpuss
Started seeing cars sporting these things:

tinyurl.com/3x49str

England flags - Dog
Nice little earner ~ tinyurl.com/3yferv9
>> Started seeing cars sporting these things:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/3x49str
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

I wrote about that LAST week! Want a set of saffer ones?

Cape Town is going crazy - Uruguay v the Frogs later tonight at Greenpoint. Was down there today getting my accreditation - PARTY ON!

My ears are hurting, though, from the STUPID vuvuzela trumpets.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Wed 16 Jun 10 at 09:28
 England flags - corax
Get those England flags off those cars - they're an embarassment, every time I see them I don't want to be reminded of last nights shambles.
 England flags - Zero
Funny thing is, round our way they have all gone. Disapeared overnight. Everyone suddenly claims to be dutch.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Jun 10 at 12:00
>> Funny thing is, round our way they have all gone. Disapeared overnight. Everyone suddenly claims
>> to be dutch.
>>

Same here.
The patriotic euphoria disappeared after the 3-0 humiliation by Uruguay.
Oh, and they've stopped blowing those poxy vuvuzelas as well...
 England flags - corax
I thought I wouldn't mind the noise but it is annoying after 90 minutes non-stop. It sounds like an angry swarm of bees.

Why can't England play more like Mexico, constantly harassing the French for the ball and getting it too. They seem to be letting nerves get the better of them, getting hasty shots at the goal from miles away instead of going in with a plan.
Last edited by: corax on Sat 19 Jun 10 at 13:58
>> Why can't England play more like Mexico

Why can't England play??

Still it can't get any worse in the last game.... can it?...
 England flags - Tooslow
is there a half mast setting?

JH
>> ............. vuvuzela trumpets.

Buy your vuvuzela now at www.thevuvuzelashop.co.uk/ and
www.whydontwe.co.uk/categories/vuvuzela/ and other good vuvuzela stores!
 England flags - Zero
Henry found them much cheaper at Lidl.
 England flags - Bagpuss
Quite a lot of red, blue and white flags appeared here since yesterday afternoon. I thought they were Russian to begin with, which would be weird as Russia didn't qualify. Looking at Wikipedia they appear to be Serbian. Didn't realise there were so many Serbs in Munich.
Yep, I paid £1.99 at Lidl for mine.
I've found a novell solution to the horns. My PVR connects directly to my HIFI amp and my speakers are biwired so all I do when the football is on is disconnect the speakers, switch on the tone controls and turn down the treble. I can still hear it but at leasts its not annoying buzz all the way through.

Why can't the broadcasters just use some kind of low pass filter so filter out the higher frequencies and thus block out the horns?
 England flags - R.P.
Saw a car today with a plain white flag clipped to its rear window - sums it up really.
 England flags - Duncan
It's ok. England won today. We beat Australia 21 - 20.

What!

It's football isn't it?
 England flags - Tooslow
Can't be. Not if they scored that many racquets.

JH
 England flags - henry k
Too hell with the expense

On the old old Portsmouth Road at Thames Ditton, a fairly new black Porche 911 with the roof repainted and now sporting the England flag.

England flags - smokie
Could be a custom made vinyl which will peel off at the appropriate time.

Or someone with more money than sense!
>> I've found a novell solution to the horns. My PVR connects directly to my HIFI
>> amp and my speakers are biwired so all I do when the football is on
>> is disconnect the speakers, switch on the tone controls and turn down the treble. I
>> can still hear it but at leasts its not annoying buzz all the way through.
>>
>> Why can't the broadcasters just use some kind of low pass filter so filter out
>> the higher frequencies and thus block out the horns?
>>

You can filter a LOT of it out by adjusting the graphic equalizer, I think the 300Hz area.
But the commentary sounds very strange.
Better than the vuvu, though.

England flags - Bellboy
Ian (Cape Town) what kind of quality hi fi has a graphic equaliser?
pray tell man
as for rattle well he doesnt say whether his pvr is digitally linked to his hi fi or analogue linked
obviously having 2 pvr"s i have both types
(swell swell head explodes)
see
many answers for a simple problem,apparently the best answer was posted on here ,watch the telly but listen to the commentary on some weird wireless channel called 5 live or something,what happened to good old radio 4 for this kind of thing on the old long wave?
Graphic equalizers? All the rage in the 80s, Chief...
In the days of CDs and everything, no need - but back in the day of cassettes, and hiss, and vinyl, they were an essential part of the 'stack'...

Some of us still have that oldy-worldy technology in our homes!

England flags - Bellboy
oh dear
i was selling hi fi in the 70"s
cassettes were still trying to find their mantra before the best cassette recorder in the world was invented (it cost a grand then , nakamichi)
if anyone came into my emporiam wanting hi fi with equaliser then i knew they didnt have a clue and sent them to comet for a wondertousk amstrad system with all the nobs .......
vinyl should be played through a class a amp im afraid............
 England flags - Iffy
...(it cost a grand then , nakamichi)...

Called it a Tri-tracer I recall, think it meant it had three heads.

England flags - Bellboy
>> ...(it cost a grand then , nakamichi)...
>>
>> Called it a Tri-tracer I recall, think it meant it had three heads.
>>
>>
>> dont remember it being called that but it was a revelation to me
i still hanker after a certain make of cassette deck as it was a smidgeon from being as good when using chrome tapes (these wore the heads out super quick) cant say the make as i dont want gazumping on the bay
however i did buy and use occasionaly the next best thing which is my pioneer deck with dolby b c and s
thing is my flash drives make them seem so yesterday i could weep
did i mention i used to collect reel to reel recorders?
>> You can filter a LOT of it out by adjusting the graphic equalizer, I think
>> the 300Hz area.

Wiki: "The instrument produces notes around the 235Hz (mostly) and 465Hz frequencies and filtering these frequencies out might limit the noise in broadcasts."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela

>> But the commentary sounds very strange.

235Hz isn't that far off the frequency of the human voice, which (again) according to Wiki is up to 185Hz for males and 255Hz for females.
 England flags - devonite
I would rather hear the Vuvuzeas than Rooney Whinging about being "Booed" by our fans! - after HIS and the rest of the teams performance, what did he expect????

P.S
Plane home booked for Thursday lunchtime!
 England flags - R.P.
The England team went to visit an orphanage in south africa this morning "its so good to put a smile on the face's of people with no hope, constantly struggling and facing the impossible" said jamal umboto aged 6
 England flags - crocks
That put a smile on my face too. :-)
 England flags - Zero
LOL
 England flags - Dulwich Estate
Two flags for 50p in Wilkinsons today. They probably won't be able to give them away after about 5pm on Wednesday.
 England flags - R.P.
Noticeably less around today....Beaumaris, nice place on the bike.
Good for crabs I gather, Beaumaris that is.
 England flags - R.P.
I kept my kilt on. Seriously I believe it is and hope to acquaint myself with its cuisine in time.
It does make the voices sound a bit flat but I find it less distracting than the flipping horns. And yep no HIFI has an EQ its against the rules and I don't ever use the tone controls I got the tone controls at great expense by playing about with different cables and damping materials.

We are getting into flat earth and round earth stuff now though, a long way from football.

My PVR is linked to the HIFI via an analogue phono cable :).

As for England I am sick of the football and the problem is once all this all over the flipping main matches will start so there is no escape from it.

I think to liven up the commentery they need to employ Mark E Smith to it :).
 England flags - Ted

I apologise if this has been mentioned but I really can't go back through all these posts.

I heard a rumour that the football is just a cover for the real reason for these flags.

Apparently the government wanted to do a survey about the length of men's ' members '
and had quietly asked that every man with less than 2 inches display England flags on their car, in order that a count could take place.

I can't vouch for the veracity of this information.

Ted
 England flags - Zero
>> I can't vouch for the veracity of this information.
>>
>> Ted

Then I suggest you get out there and find out, personally, and let us know.

>>
 England flags - Ted

I don't have any flags, Zeddo...........................or I would !

Ted
I bet Gary Glitter has an England flag.
 England flags - Avant
Re men's 'membership survey' mentioned a few posts ago:

I heard this from our vicar's wife on Facebook. I replied 'what does it signify when the flag of St. George is flying atop the church tower?' :)
 England flags - R.P.
I'm tempted to say something about the bell...
 England flags - FocalPoint
Another good reason not to "fly the flag": last Sunday's Sunday Times reported on a university study which claimed fuel consumption is increased by something like 5% with these things, though I'm not sure if this relates to one flag or two per vehicle.

Anyway, let's hope we can concentrate on Wimbledon from now on... :-)
>> concentrate on Wimbledon from now on...

Concentrate schmoncentrate. From a boring pill game to an even more boring pill game.

Tock

tock

tock

UHtock

tock

UUUH tock

tock

ZZZZZZZZ....
Do the flags have a half mast setting?
 England flags - Zero
they have a fly off down the road setting.
 England flags - a research project - sherlock47
At the risk of incurring a moderators red pencil I post the following which was received in a recent spam email. It may make some of you smile. If easily offended switch off now!

`

Ben Luther a professor has found after extensive research there are 2 sizes of penis amongst uk men. There are those which fall within the normal size range and those which are less than 2 inches while erect. The professor has appealed for help to continue his research. Could all men in the UK with extremly small penises make themseves know the next six weeks by flying a white flag with a red cross from their cars ?
 England flags - a research project - Focusless
>> Ben Luther a professor has found after extensive research there are 2 sizes of penis
>> amongst uk men.

Haven't heard that one since... oh about 10 posts back :)
 England flags - a research project - sherlock47
Haven't heard that one since... oh about 10 posts back :)

Sorry - I skimmed thro - should have done a forum search, but guessed (incorrectly) that I would fall foul of the ***** filter!
 England flags - R.P.
Loads of them on the verges and gutters as observed from the back of a bike.
>> Loads of them on the verges and gutters as observed from the back of a bike.

What ? Men with small.......?
 England flags - sherlock47
>> >> Loads of them on the verges and gutters as observed from the back of
>> a bike.
>>
>> What ? Men with small.......?

You have to get very close to make that observation :)
 England flags - Bellboy
im pleased to say no flags have tried to impale me on the queens roads and highways as ive gone on my dutiful business
did get stopped for a full roadside check this morning though,police didnt like it when i mentioned £4000 of damage to my businness premises roof and i havent seen an iota of a rozzer yet there were 6 agencies wanting to know my inside leg measurements at 8.55 in the morning
 England flags - R.P.
Why bb - does your inside leg measurement change in the course of a day ?
 England flags - Zero
There should be plenty of spare drapeau tricolore going free.
Not enough flags!

Not enough team effort is probably the reason for the failure (abject) of the England team.

1)USA - poor
2)Algeria - poor
3)Slovenia - adequate
4)Germany - poor - bets player was the goalie and he let in 4

Th ePremiership is excellent but dependent on foreign talent.
>> The Premiership is excellent but dependent on foreign talent.

The 'expert' opinion was that the players are good enough individually based on the way they play for their own teams week after week in the Premiership, but something happens when they put on an England shirt.
 England flags - Zero
They are not good enough, not by a long way. There is two or three players who would be accepted in any first class national team, the rest are just there to make up the numbers. Badly.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 18:21
 England flags - Ted

Well, my vulvazola is already in the bin !

Ted
>> Well, my vulvazola is already in the bin !

I would do the same with my car flag, but it's not location-specific so will do for the next Euro competition in 2 years' time when we can do it all again :)
There is something the flags could be used for but it's a sort of one time function.....

Condolences to those who are genuinely disappointed. I don't begin to understand why anyone cares but I do know many do. Here's to you being given a stronger team to support next time.
 England flags - Old Navy
>> I would do the same with my car flag, but it's not location-specific so will
>> do for the next Euro competition in 2 years' time when we can do it
>> all again :)
>>
My local Tesco and Halfords (in Scotland) have hundreds of England flags if anyone is short of one. As I have only seen one on a car I don't think they have sold many.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 18:20
 England flags - Roger.
They won't sell any more now!
>> My local Tesco and Halfords (in Scotland) have hundreds of England flags if anyone is
>> short of one. As I have only seen one on a car I don't think
>> they have sold many.

Oh dear, do you think every store in the UK got a set based on turnover? Case of computer says so many and nobody thought 'hang on a mo'!!!!!
 England flags - Zero
yeah, my local tesco has 300 cans of irn bru they cant get rid of.
 England flags - Bellboy
give me strength
oh no thats red bull innit..........
 England flags - R.P.
Special Edition OXO cubes for sale here, with the Cross of St George printed on the silver foil - it's called a Laughing Stock :-)
 England flags - Zero
you reading the sun again PU?
 England flags - henry k
>> you reading the sun again PU?
>>
I did like their online weather forcast map with the words
Sunny outlook in many areas but depression over Heathrow as shower drifts in from South Africa
 England flags - R.P.
Mmmm obviously one of my FB pals does though !
Latest Forum Posts