Non-motoring > Segway - brilliant fun Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 11

Segway - brilliant fun - BobbyG
Ever been on one of these?

I did today for the first time up at Crieff Hydro, an hour of fun and laughs. Amazed how easy, and natural they were to use. The ones we had today had big wheels and could go up and down hills, rough terrain and just felt very sure footed!

Apparently the only person ever to die on one is the inventor!
 Segway - brilliant fun - Old Navy
I have seen the security staff using them in shopping malls in the USA. They can certainly shift and the locals have them sussed, just stand still and it will go around you. I hope they never fit seats to them, the mobility scooter users may discover them.
 Segway - brilliant fun - Dave_
>> I have seen the security staff using them in shopping malls in the USA

Ditto Westfield White City. The underground loading bays are vast, I've seen staff Segwaying along the walkways under there several times.
 Segway - brilliant fun - rtj70
I saw two police officers following/chasing someone outside Florence train station a good few years ago. They caught/stopped the guy. But if he'd stepped off the pavement and ran they wouldn't have followed on the Segway!

Look fun though.

As for the inventor dying.... no he didn't. Someone had bought the company and fell from a cliff when on one. Not quite the same.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 22:37
 Segway - brilliant fun - smokie
Chicago police use them, out on the streets - saw them meself but here's a stock pic news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=33723&print=1
 Segway - brilliant fun - VxFan
>> I have seen the security staff using them in shopping malls in the USA.

The hobby bobbies and/or security at gunwharf quays Portmouth had them a couple of years ago.
 Segway - brilliant fun - Falkirk Bairn
>>Apparently the only person ever to die on one is the inventor!

He did not die on it - he tried to pass pedestrians on a narrow path, misjudged and plunged down a slope, hitting his head (IIRC)
>> He did not die on it...

That chap didn't invent it though did he. He bought the company.

This person will also be the source of the name Bastion in Camp Bastion I guess (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesco_bastion).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 22:40
 Segway - brilliant fun - sooty123

>>
>> This person will also be the source of the name Bastion in Camp Bastion I
>> guess (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesco_bastion).
>>

Nice chap as well ex-miner, he bought one of the Ford Mustangs from the film gone in sixty seconds, has a Lightning in his garden. Him and his wife have spent a ton of money supporting Help4Heroes.
>> Nice chap ..... Him and his wife have spent a ton of money supporting Help4Heroes.

He's dead though unfortunately. He made lots of money trying to protect troops (although his invention has a lot of merit)... so maybe he should.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 23:13
 Segway - brilliant fun - Mike Hannon
You can rent a Segway to play with on the Promenade des Anglais (seafront) in Nice.
I lost my nerve. Last time I bragged I could ride a skateboard I ended up with a very nasty lump on the back of the head.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sun 16 Jun 13 at 10:20
 Segway - brilliant fun - Armel Coussine
>> Last time I bragged I could ride a skateboard I ended up with a very nasty lump on the back of the head.

I don't want a broken hip at my age so I wouldn't dream of trying a skateboard again. In London though I have twice seen people hurtling about on skateboards with a small engine on one of the axles, something like a model aircraft engine, controlled through a flexible throttle cable. I am lost in admiration of such people, both for their originality and their sense of balance. Likewise the unicyclists I have also seen dicing with the traffic (and with pedestrians on the pavement).

Yee-hah! But not for me alas.
Latest Forum Posts