Non-motoring > Mobile broadband dongle outside? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 20

Mobile broadband dongle outside? - Dave
In their quest to improve coverage (so they say), my provider has shut down the local transmitter. So now I have really patchy reception. But it works pretty good outside, especially as my house is clad in tin and has a tin roof.

So can I run a long USB cable, and hang the dongle in a waterproof box high up outside?

Assuming it doesn't get wet, I'm more worried about the low winter temperature.
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - Zero
There is a theoretical limit on USB cable length, and you certainly wont buy a really long USB from your local, Clas Ohlson, you would have to make one up.

I would consider boosting your mobile phone reception into the building with some kind of passive or active mobile antenna.
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - Tigger
I'd switch to a mobile wifi hotspot, which does away with the need for the USB lead.

I use a ZTE MF60 dongle, which I chose partly because it will accept an aerial, which I can put on the roof of my caravan

www.amazon.co.uk/magnet-antenna-K4505-Z-K3806-Z-broadband/dp/B009GELQPY
Last edited by: Tigger on Fri 14 Jun 13 at 15:55
I tried a wifi hotspot thingy, but my ancient netbook running XP just got it's knickers in a twist every time I plugged it in. I've seen some ariels that plug into the dongle, but neither of mine have a socket for it.

I also looked at an active booster, but it was about £200 and with no promise that it would actually do anything.

I might be able to get away with a 5 metre USB cable, or maybe plug 2 together?
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - Zero
Ohh no, dont plug two together, you are pushing the limits of length, throwing in some attenuation with connectors will push it too far.

Buy two, cut the end off and join them together if you are handy with a soldering iron and heat shrink.
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - rtj70
USB 1 and 2 cables shouldn't really be longer than 5m. You be better off connecting them via a hub. You might have problems otherwise due to signal timings.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 14 Jun 13 at 17:01
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - smokie
I have a 10m single cable running from my solar inverter to my PC, not seen any problems yet but I don't doubt they can be problematic.
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - mikeyb
I'm sure one of the mobile operators give out a signal booster type device if you have poor coverage in your house

Found it!

www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/what-affects-your-coverage/sure-signal/index.htm
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - spamcan61
>> I'm sure one of the mobile operators give out a signal booster type device if
>> you have poor coverage in your house
>>
>> Found it!
>>
>> www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/what-affects-your-coverage/sure-signal/index.htm
>>

yeah, femtocell would do the job if Dave has reasonable broadband, Tele2 used to offer one in Sweden, not sure if they still do as navigating their website via Google Translate is doing me 'ed in.

Don't think a USB dongle will survive -30 to +30 or whatever plus moisture for long. Old school active repeater would probably do the job (outdoor antenna connected to an indoor amplifier via a 2 way amplifier), but they're difficult to set up properly and illegal to operate in UK, dunno about SWE.
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - spamcan61
D'oh edit: (outdoor antenna connected to an indoor amplifier via a 2 way amplifier)

= (outdoor antenna connected to an indoor antenna via a 2 way amplifier)
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - Fursty Ferret
You can get a powered USB extension cable.
I was going to suggest a femtocell as a joke. Because Dave couldn't use it could he....

He's using his USB broadband dongle for Internet access. How would the signal from the femtocell work for Dave? It boosts mobile 3G signals over your home Internet connection... technically it would work for a 3G signal on a USB broadband dongle.... but if you had an Internet connection then you'd not need the dongle for Internet.
>> I tried a wifi hotspot thingy, but my ancient netbook running XP just got it's
>> knickers in a twist every time I plugged it in...

?? You don't plug them in! My work PC runs XP and connects perfectly. All you need is wifi enabled on the laptop.
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - Roger.
If it's that ancient it might not have built in wi-fi.
Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick with the wifi thingy. Yes, I've seen them, but won't that need to be mounted higher up and outside though? The only difference seems to be that I'd need to run power to it instead of the USB cable.
The suggestion about the ZTE MiFi device is you can (a) mount an external aerial so it doesn't need to be outside itself, just the aerial, (b) you do not need to be plugged into the device it's via WiFi. And of course you can connect upto 5 devices to it.
Ah, I understand now. I can get that device here, as well as an aerial, so may give it a try.

I remember now the device I had before that caused the XP problems was a dongle cum router apparently. I swapped it for a straight forward mobile dongle and the problems vanished. The techy at the shop said it was a problem with XP recognising certain devices.
>> The suggestion about the ZTE MiFi device is you can (a) mount an external aerial
>> so it doesn't need to be outside itself, just the aerial, (b) you do not
>> need to be plugged into the device it's via WiFi. And of course you can
>> connect upto 5 devices to it.
>>
That's right. When I'm away in the caravan I tuck it up in the skylight - I haven't needed to use the external aerial yet.

It has a rechargeable battery - probably lasts about 4 hours when running at full pelt. Though it works better if plugged in.
A question about this particular MiFi - does it run when plugged in and charge? I ask because a few years ago I got a MiFi device that would only work when running on battery. If you plugged it in it would only charge. This was the first Huawei device sold by 3 - I then unlocked it to use on Vodafone.... and not used it for a few years now. Had tethering on an Android device since and plenty data allowance.
 Mobile broadband dongle outside? - VxFan
>> A question about this particular MiFi - does it run when plugged in and charge?

The one I've got (Huawei E585) does. The wifi range is increased when it's on charge too.
>> A question about this particular MiFi - does it run when plugged in and charge?
Yes
Latest Forum Posts