Non-motoring > Has anyone seen "The Audience"? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 6

Has anyone seen "The Audience"? - Manatee
www.theaudienceplay.com/home/

Just been to the live cinema broadcast. Very good. A series of PM's audiences with the Queen, played by Mirren.

Highly recommended. I think there was just one live performance relayed to cinemas, and the run closes on Saturday, but there are to be more screenings.

www.theaudienceplay.com/home/

ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/ntlout3-the-audience
 Has anyone seen "The Audience"? - Meldrew
I haven't and I am sorry that I have missed it However there was a very touching story in the news a few weeks ago which shows how people still admire HM and what a charming lady Helen Mirren is. A lovely story. tinyurl.com/n3bppjm
 Has anyone seen "The Audience"? - R.P.
You think the real monarch would have fitted him in though, too busy Queening ?
No I don't think she could or would but it was kind of Helen Mirren to do her bit for the boy.
 Has anyone seen "The Audience"? - Haywain
Yes - Mrs H and I saw it at our local Picture House last night and, like you, thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think that I nodded off, but I don't recall seeing Blair or Heath though.

I was especially touched by the portrayal of Harold Wilson. Mr Wilson was a tremendous speaker and when I was 16 or so, my father took me to the Granby Halls in Leicester to hear him. I recall him having a go at Alec Douglas Home, saying "Alec Douglas Home tells the miners not to be so greedy ...... the miners are being greedy, he says ................. Alec Douglas Home owns half of Scotland, and he tells the miners not to be greedy!" The crowd roared!

A few years later, as a biology student, a group of us were crossing on the ferry to the Scillies for a field trip. We had to go below to disembark our equipment via a hatch in the side of the boat and, as we filed past the cargo in the hold, I remember seeing Harold Wilson's bag of golf clubs and respectfully patting it. That crossing was especially rough, and a rescue helicopter appeared to be tailing us - we reckoned to pick Harold up if the worst happened, whilst we would be left to our fate.
 Has anyone seen "The Audience"? - Armel Coussine
My ex-wife, emphatically not a Labour voter, once found herself sharing a first-class compartment with Harold Wilson on a train. She liked him a lot, and was impressed by his famously filing-cabinet-like memory... something about programmed learning, I forget what exactly.

Alzheimer's seems particularly tragic with people of great intellect. A friend, quite well known as an intellectual, got some sort of early-onset dementia some years ago and is lost to us now. Tragic is the word.
Indeed - my brother in law has gone from classical pianist (teacher, performer and recording artist) to an empty husk (mentally) in less than 5 years.
Latest Forum Posts