Non-motoring > New toolbox wanted Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

New toolbox wanted - legacylad
My old green metal toolbox recently celebrated its 30th birthday and is being retired. It has finally fallen apart and sometimes it takes me longer to find small tools hidden in its murky depths than it does to do the job!
Ideally I would like several compartments for all sorts of different gubbins, a removable tote for screwdrivers, pliers etc and be sufficiently large to hold all manner of the usual blokey tools..hammers, hacksaw, 5m tape.
Any recommendations please?
 New toolbox wanted - Old Navy
My steel cantilever box gave up years ago, I use one similar to this for the big / heavy / little used tools.

tinyurl.com/olvmych

I use a standard plastic one for the other bits and pieces.

New toolbox wanted - crocks
I have four or five toolboxes of differing sizes for different uses, including one like ON, but my favourite for my most used hand tools is a 19" plastic one from Wickes.
www.wickes.co.uk/invt/506620

I have had it for at least 15 years, use it most days, but it is still going strong.
 New toolbox wanted - bathtub tom
Wilkinsons sold one similar to that, it had a design fault.

The hinge had an open side, such that if you opened the top it would fall off, hit the ground allowing the top sections to break open spilling all those little bits (nuts, washers etc).

I had one that went back the same day!
 New toolbox wanted - sherlock47
With increasing age and difficulty bending, I suggest you look for a wheeled, multi tray type. mine is about 75cm high and yields the most frequently used tools at a convenient height. The rarely used items are kept at the lower levels. It is about 8 years old and made of plastic, branded Stanley and was bought when heavily discounted, 50% i think. I cannot find the same item either on the Stanley website or EBay. I take that to mean that either it was a total product failure, or that other owners love them so much they never get rid!

The blue/brown steel cantilever box , now about 50 years old, is now consigned to the depths of the garage. Unseen for many years.
 New toolbox wanted - Dog
www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_3/280-0056605-4596514?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tool+box&sprefix=too%2Caps%2C448
 New toolbox wanted - Ted

I have one of these for garage/workshop use...

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctc800-8-drawer-combi-chest-cabinet?da=1&TC=SRC-tool+cabinets

For domestic use, one of the yellow Silverline type with a tray. Useful 'cos you can stand on it...or sit, more in my case !

Half a dozen cheap plastic ones hold tools for the caravan/tools for the work car, tent pegs/bungees and other stuff.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts