Non-motoring > Reaper Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 36

Reaper - Armel Coussine
We went to London Saturday evening and came back tonight. I wish we hadn't though. Not because of the mimsing traffic which was as usual and required a short blast of full-bore heater at one point, as I haven't got the engine fan done yet.

No, it wasn't that... Half the people I know are dead or dying. On a swoop through carnival country this evening I learned that Rocky, about whom I was retailing jolly stories a few days ago in another thread here, died in mid-May and was buried a fortnight ago. Larry's missus said she had tried to call me but Caribbean style she had my mobile number wrong and hadn't used the much better landline much.

I knew he was ill but what with everyone else being crook it's a bit of a blow. We went to London to see herself's beloved cousin who is very ill indeed.

Rocky made a TV ad for some sort of financial service, I forget which. It may be on youtube. He ran a dance troupe for many years, big in the Persian Gulf apparently. Rough old Trini, really charming guy.

'Ax not for whom the bell toll. It toll for we,'
 Reaper - swiss tony
Sign of getting older I'm afraid.
No good getting overly upset about though...

I was lucky to get through my twenty's, the doctors once told my family I wouldn't last the night (illness) here I am 30 years later...
Mind you, they do say 'the good die young' - best reason I ever heard for misbehaving.... ;-)
 Reaper - Auntie Lockbrakes
My Old Man is 79. He says that since the statistical average life expectancy for a man in the UK is something like 78, he's going to live to 107 to make up for all his acquaintances who died in their 50s and 60s :-/
 Reaper - L'escargot
Calculate your life expectancy with The Death Clock. www.deathclock.com/ I died on 16th April 2012.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 10 Jun 13 at 08:59
 Reaper - Duncan
>> Calculate your life expectancy with The Death Clock. www.deathclock.com/
>>

For me, it says:-

Friday August 1, 2008.

I am sorry, but your time has expired.

Have a nice day!
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 10 Jun 13 at 09:03
 Reaper - Mike Hannon
It gives my life expectancy as almost exactly that of my grandfather.
You're right AC - my friends and family seem to be dropping like flies and very many of them are younger than I. It certainly concentrates the mind.
 Reaper - Dutchie
Most of us will die of cancer why worry take every day as it comes.

Sorry to hear about your friend A.C.
 Reaper - CGNorwich
Fear not!

The clock is clearly using tables of average life expectancy at birth. Of course the older you are the greater your life expectancy so most on here can expect to make a ripe old age considerably in excess of that shown. :-)

Of course some might not :-(
 Reaper - Dutchie
Or run over by a bus.>;)
 Reaper - Cliff Pope
>> Fear not!
>>
>> The clock is clearly using tables of average life expectancy at birth. Of course the
>> older you are the greater your life expectancy so most on here can expect to
>> make a ripe old age considerably in excess of that shown. :-)
>>

It says I will live to 91, until 21 September 2040 in fact. If that's not a ripe old age, what would "considerably in excess of" mean?
 Reaper - CGNorwich
Fear not!

The clock is clearly using tables of average life expectancy at birth. Of course the older you are the greater your life expectancy so most on here can expect to make a ripe old age considerably in excess of that shown. :-)

Of course some might not :-(
 Reaper - Zero
My date of demise is 4th July 2025. I expect the USA will set off fireworks in my honour. It will be a national holiday.
 Reaper - Duncan

>> Of course some might not :-(
>>

I think your clock is running down, CGN.

You have started repeating yourself!

;-)
 Reaper - Zero
There was a sudden rift in the time space continuum, and that post is from a parallel universe of universes.

That means two things of course.

1/ Being parallel, the other CGN will die at the same time.
2/ The mod of the parallel universe is now being berated for the missing post, and the parallel CGN may well leave in a huff.

WAIT

That means the two universes are no longer perfectly synchronous! They will be crashing into each other!

That means....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHHQRodF88
 Reaper - Ambo
My time has expired but on the same page it says I may be owed £2400. I must remember to tell my widow when she comes home.
 Reaper - CGNorwich
"That means the two universes are no longer perfectly synchronous! They will be crashing into each other!"

Indeed.

A multiverse of a somewhat different kind has been envisaged within string theory and its higher-dimensional extension, M-theory. These theories require the presence of 10 or 11 spacetime dimensions respectively. The extra 6 or 7 dimensions may either be compactified on a very small scale, or our universe may simply be localized on a dynamical (3+1)-dimensional object, a D-brane. This opens up the possibility that there are other branes which could support "other universes". This is unlike the universes in the "quantum multiverse", but both concepts can operate at the same time.

Some scenarios postulate that our big bang was created, along with our universe, by the collision of two branes.

(with a little help from wiki)

Reaper - Cliff Pope

>> collision of two branes.
>>

I guessed that wasn't a misprint, and it isn't.
 Reaper - Alanovich
I'm going on 11th November 2043, aged 73. That seems a little pessimistic. I'm earmarking 80 as the age when I'll start to feel I've outlived my welcome.
 Reaper - Dog
"A friend who dies, it's something of you who dies"
Gustave Flaubert
 Reaper - Bromptonaut
28 September 2033 aged 73.

Same age as Alanovic.

I suspect he and I are both 'normal' non smokers with a low BMI!!
 Reaper - Alanovich
I dunno about low, it's 27 apparently. I suspect you're in the under 25 range, but all else seems equal (non-smoker). I'd expect it to give you a few years on me for being skinnier (I suspect).
 Reaper - Cliff Pope
I've just tried it again, and my lifespan has jumped to 96 using the same data.

Something wrong there, I think. Perhaps it hasn't the courage to tell me the truth.
 Reaper - helicopter
I am destined to live to age 91 .......

I suspect the reapers calculations are wrong........

.....but hope that they are correct.......they give me 5 years longer than the actuary who calculated my work pension.......
 Reaper - Mike Hannon
I've always liked Oscar Wilde's line from The Ballad of Reading Gaol: 'he who lives more lives than one, more deaths than one must die'. Luckily, I can only manage one life these days.

AC, talking about finding friends deceased, you didn't know Clyde Walcott (not the cricketer) by any chance?
 Reaper - Armel Coussine
>> Clyde Walcott (not the cricketer) by any chance?

I don't think so MH. But I often forget names. Terrible nuisance when I was a hack that was.
 Reaper - Ted

I'm with Mike....one of my faves. The last verse is poignant....

And all men kill the thing they love,
By all let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!

Ted
 Reaper - Cliff Pope
Now down to 74.
Don't trust Mr Reaper.
Oftentimes, to win us to our harm, the instruments of darkness tell us truths, win us with honest trifles, to betray us in deepest consequence.
 Reaper - Armel Coussine
I have been searching vainly for Rocky's TV ad so that people could get an idea of his spectacular but personable presence. It showed Rocky passing a barber shop full of other black guys who all break up laughing, as does Rocky. It was a strange ad I thought, but of course I liked it. It was shown until fairly recently, ten years ago or less.

Trouble is I can't remember the bank, building society or product being advertised, and am not good at finding stuff online. It's probably there somewhere though. I bet Zero could find it if he had a mind to.
 Reaper - Armel Coussine
>> Rocky's TV ad

I now learn that he made others (perhaps though he didn't star in them to the same extent) which are on youtube. When I find out what they are I will see if they do the old boy justice before posting links.
 Reaper - L'escargot
Each cigarette shortens lifespan by 11 minutes. no-smoking.org/august02/08-05-02-1.html
 Reaper - L'escargot
Try this life expectancy calculator. www.riskprediction.org.uk/index_lifeexp.php
 Reaper - Ambo
I see now see that I am not yet dead, in fact I have another decade to go.
 Reaper - Dog
I've got another 20 years to do here then (what an awful thought)
 Reaper - Cliff Pope
It puts me in the middle of the two different answers provided by the other calulator - 20 years to go.

Playing around with the variables, it really all seems to hang on BMI.
A report I read somewhere recently says BMI is discounted now. The really important thing is that your waist circumference is less than your height. Not difficult in my case.
 Reaper - Duncan
>> The really important thing is that your waist circumference is less than your height. Not difficult in my case.
>>

I think you will find that the formula is that your waist circumference is less than half your height.

;-)
 Reaper - Alanovich
Eek. Mine should be 34 and a half then. It's not. And not in the right direction, either.

:-(
 Reaper - henry k
>>A report I read somewhere recently says BMI is discounted now
>>
I have for many years discounted the BMI thing.
A long time ago my GP had three BMI charts /tables and that made much more sense.
He measured the size of my wrist and then selected the chart for small/ medium / large wrist sizes. The tables took into account bone structure which seemed a very good / better way of measuring BMI.
I know I am overweight but have small bones so THE BMI table indicates a better result than it should do.
Latest Forum Posts