Non-motoring > Bad TV Reception Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 18

Bad TV Reception - Rudedog
Has anyone else had poor TV reception on the non-BBC channels over the past 2-3 days?

Since Thursday all of our recordings and actual viewing has been very patchy, some of the recordings over Thursday night were verging on unwatchable because of pixelation.

BBC channels seems to be unaffected.

I know that there was a fairly unusual solar storm on Thursday night/Friday morning which brought the Northern Lights right down as far as Kanas and parts of Europe but this has now subsided.

This morning some of the ITV2 programmes were a bit broken up but mostly OK.

Then I briefly read a headline about possible 4G interference in the South East/London area.
 Bad TV Reception - Old Navy
As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "4G testing".

www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/9983647/4G-TV-disruption-tests-to-start-in-London.html

Bad TV Reception - CGNorwich
Most likely due to weather conditions. High pressure currently over UK can affect the picture quality especially if your reception is normally fairly weak. Wait for the weather to change!
 Bad TV Reception - Bromptonaut
>> Most likely due to weather conditions. High pressure currently over UK can affect the picture
>> quality especially if your reception is normally fairly weak. Wait for the weather to change!

I'd go with that too

Analogue was from Sandy Heath, to which we look ESE, regularly suffered co-channel interference from continent in high pressure. Much worse at our previous house than here though, only a few hundred yards apart as the crow flies.

Not noticed since DSO which could be a characteristic of digital or 'deafness' of wide band aerial compared with a grouped item.
 Bad TV Reception - Zero
There is no co-channel interference with digital TV. (in the accepted analogue sense)
 Bad TV Reception - Dog
I live a few miles West of South East London and my TV reception is horizontally opposed to yours, as in my BBC 1/2/3/4 etc. signal is dire - I can check the signal strength and quality on my Panasonic TV.

The BBC HD signal is fine though.

Something else I've noticed recently is that I can't for the life of me receive BBC Radio Cornwall on DAB via my Pure Evoke, My Roberts Gemini 45, or my Sony micro Hi-Fi.

I've got a Humax Freesat HD box so I mainly use that to watch the junk on TV, once in a while.

Bad TV Reception - Zero
We need to know what transmitter you are tuned to. 4G testing has proved the fear of poor reception and interference are mostly groundless.
I would imagine it's probably Crystal Palace (I'm up on the top of the North Downs).
 Bad TV Reception - Dog
Mine is most likely Caradon Hill, I've checked:

www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/diagnostic/?id=JSAV0GHR6UG52HJHVKTJQB33UA&uid=539628207

and there are no reported problems.
 Bad TV Reception - Zero
If that is the case, then no, Nothing wrong with Crystal Palace, and it throwing out enough watts to not be affected by 4G testing
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jun 13 at 20:15
 Bad TV Reception - Ambo
In Poole, I think it was on Thursday that I lost all Freesat ITV channels for the whole evening, with a black screen with no maintenance message. The rest of the channels I use were fine and there has been no further problem. I had no recording scheduled on an ITV channel that evening.
 Bad TV Reception - AnotherJohnH
>> I think it was on Thursday that I lost all Freesat ITV channels for the whole evening...

As you are Freesat, did you not have a look at another region, or have a look at the ITV HD services?
 Bad TV Reception - Ambo
>>did you not have a look at another region

No, I didn't know I could

>> have a look at the ITV HD services?

I checked the dozen or so ITV channels I have, which include some HD

Bad TV Reception - AnotherJohnH
>> I checked the dozen or so ITV channels I have, which include some HD

by region I meant ITV channel.

Looking back at Digitalspy and the links off from there it seems to have been a big hiccup, but you could have got a feed watching either Granada or London on that occasion.

forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1833307

www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2013-06-04/cannotgettvsignal/

community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/no-ITV-on-103/m-p/9164#U9164

Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sun 9 Jun 13 at 17:11
OK the weather is now wet & windy so I guess the high pressure has gone! but I'm still experiencing pixelation on a few of the channels, any ideas? it's now getting a real PITA during playback on my HDD recorder?
 Bad TV Reception - Old Navy
Check all the aerial and HDMI plugs are firmly inserted, my hoover operator knocked one of ours and caused an intermittent pixelated picture on one of our TVs.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 12 Jun 13 at 20:53
 Bad TV Reception - L'escargot
Check your aerial type, height, direction etc. www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?
 Bad TV Reception - Falkirk Bairn
Don't do a Rod Hull, his reception was appalling and see what happened to him - the only good reception was after the funeral.
 Bad TV Reception - Armel Coussine
>> do a Rod Hull,

Ever seen an emu? Damn hostile animal. We saw some in Oz and they were trying to peck us through the strong wire mesh round their enclosure. You wouldn't want to be pecked with a beak like that. You really wouldn't.
Latest Forum Posts