Non-motoring > Creosote and paving slabs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 16

Creosote and paving slabs - TheManWithNoName
Seeking advice on behalf of a colleague whose neighbour went a bit mad whilst spraying their fence. Some of the wood stain/creosote has dribbled between the vertical slats onto her flowers and onto her yellow sandstone looking paving slabs.

I've no idea if the stone is natural or man made.

Would thinners work or would it just spread the mess?
I was going to suggest gently rubbing sharp sand onto the stain to scour it away.

Creosote and paving slabs - Zero
I would suggest getting the slabs replaced and presenting said neighbour with the bill. Plus the cost of new plants of course.
 Creosote and paving slabs - VxFan
>> I would suggest getting the slabs replaced

Could they not just be turned over?
 Creosote and paving slabs - Fenlander
If it's water based treatment squeezy, hot water and scrubbing will usually take out 80% of the stain.... white spirit if it's trad creosote.

I went round next door on all 3 sides before I did my fence when we moved in... to see what they had their side in the way of plants/surface and what shade/colour their side was treated.
 Creosote and paving slabs - Dutchie
Very difficult to get off pavers proper Creosote is oil based.My pet hate this spraying lark.One of our neighbours sprayed her fence.Neighbour at the back of my garden who lives in a bungalow had plenty on his car .I had some of the spray on a plastic shed for tool storage.

Creosote and paving slabs - Fenlander
Mr F senior loves a gadget so bought a cheap sprayer to do the fences in their small garden.

After finishing them all he stood back to admire a job well done... as were the slabs, recycling bins, garden furniture etc... lucky the cat was quick on his feet.
 Creosote and paving slabs - Slidingpillar
Unless the neighbour has a professional source, very unlikely to be creosote as it has been banned for domestic purposes for a few years.

The creosote substitute I tried was hopeless and nowhere near as good as the real thing.
 Creosote and paving slabs - Dutchie
No problem buying proper creosote have a look on the net.
 Creosote and paving slabs - Slidingpillar
Not legally for domestic use though. Professional gets banned soon too I think.
 Creosote and paving slabs - bathtub tom
I had a similar problem with a LIDL fence treatment - wind blew the container over.

Washing-up liquid on the stain, left it for a few days and then used a pressure washer.

Result, a very clean area, which meant I had to pressure wash the rest!

Creosote and paving slabs - Armel Coussine
>> Not legally for domestic use though. Professional gets banned soon too I think.

Health and Safety gone mad. How much creosote do you have to get on you before you develop skin cancer or whatever it does? Plenty I bet, and people wear rubber gloves these days.

Mind you they need to wear goggles when slapping proper creosote on with a brush. I got some in my eye once and that was no joke. Had to run my open eye under the tap for ten minutes. It stung too.
 Creosote and paving slabs - CGNorwich
"Health and Safety gone mad. How much creosote do you have to get on you before you develop skin cancer or whatever it does? Plenty I bet, and people wear rubber gloves these days. "

Must be 30 years ago when a neighbour sprayed his fence with creosote. Must have inhaled a fair amount Collapsed and ending up in the Norfolk and Norwich hospital overnight for observation but was OK fortunately.

Creosote and paving slabs - Robbie34
Sodium chlorate is another example. Can't buy it now, and glysophate is nowhere near as good for block paving areas.
 Creosote and paving slabs - Lygonos
>>and glysophate is nowhere near as good for making homemade incendiaries
 Creosote and paving slabs - Lygonos
>> I got some in my eye once and that was no joke. Had to run my open eye under the tap for ten minutes.

What sort of idiot paints fences in the nude?

;-)
 Creosote and paving slabs - TheManWithNoName

>>
>> Could they not just be turned over?
>>

Good suggestion but the slabs are patterned on top and flat underneath.
 Creosote and paving slabs - Fullchat
Brick Cleaner containing hydrochloric acid is a good start. Good for alloys as well (diluted a bit).
Latest Forum Posts