Non-motoring > CD Player Won't Play Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 16

CD Player Won't Play - Ambo
I left my Sony CD Compact Player D-465 unused for about 2 years in a dry place . I cleaned off the battery connections in case of tarnish and inserted new batteries. Now it doesn't show any signs of life. Can anyone suggest why please?
 CD Player Won't Play - neiltoo
Died in embarrassment at your CD collection......

8o)
It isn't a collection, it is an accretion.
 CD Player Won't Play - Bromptonaut
Obvious stuff first:

Are 'new' batteries definitely new and correctly inserted?

Some Sony kit does not like NiMh rechargeables so try alcalines as well.

If you have a suitable adapter will it work on mains.

Reclean tarnished connections and ensure they make proper contact with battery terminals.

Are you sure whatever switches are needed for it to operate are correctly selected and that lid is fully closed? These sort of devices are fiddly and RTFM is worth a try.

Will it work with a different CD?

Not worth more than basic checks - if it's juggerd chuck it.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 3 Jun 13 at 16:15
 CD Player Won't Play - Dave
I'll swap it for a busted kettle!
 CD Player Won't Play - Pat
You lot need to become affiliated with mums.net!

Vacuum cleaners, Kettles, breadmakers, scales, no-one would believe the forum was 99% male.....and no-one has even mentioned Rossi getting unseated in the MotoGP yesterday*frowny face*

Pat
 CD Player Won't Play - Robin O'Reliant
>> You lot need to become affiliated with mums.net!
>>
>> Vacuum cleaners, Kettles, breadmakers, scales, no-one would believe the forum was 99% male.....and no-one has
>> even mentioned Rossi getting unseated in the MotoGP yesterday*frowny face*
>>
>> Pat
>>

And a good third for Crutchlow after Marquez dumped his bike near the finish. As it bounced across the track I could picture the Honda accountants sitting there groaning, "ten thousand, twenty thousand, thirty thousand..."
 CD Player Won't Play - VxFan
>> and no-one has even mentioned Rossi getting unseated in the MotoGP yesterday*frowny face*

I gave you your own thread for MotoGP.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=8318

Not our fault if you don't use it ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Jun 13 at 21:17
 CD Player Won't Play - Pat
I don't use it because I always end up talking to myself.....:)

Pat
 CD Player Won't Play - Zero
>> Can anyone suggest why please?

Its knackered.
 CD Player Won't Play - sajid
maybe lens need cleaning give it a wipe with some soft lens cloth, check if you can run it on mains

CD Player Won't Play - WillDeBeest
I got the impression from Ambo that the player is electrically dead - i.e. not even turning the disc rather than just refusing to play it - in which case Bromp's method seems the best way to go.

I have one very similar that still worked when I realized I no longer needed it in the kitchen. If I can find it I'll see if it has any tricks. I dimly remember a lock slider to stop it exhausting its batteries in a bag. If Ambo's has one too it might be that preventing the player from responding.
 CD Player Won't Play - Bromptonaut
>> I have one very similar that still worked when I realized I no longer needed
>> it in the kitchen. If I can find it I'll see if it has any
>> tricks. I dimly remember a lock slider to stop it exhausting its batteries in a
>> bag. If Ambo's has one too it might be that preventing the player from responding.

My suggestion was based on a similar distant memory. The Lad had one very similar to Ambo's, mostly used for listening to stuff in the car. I'm sure it used to die occasionally for no apparent reason but closer examination revealed a contrel oddity.
 CD Player Won't Play - Dog
I have a Technics SL-XP150 portable CD player which I purchased from a couple of Pakistani gentlemen in Tenerife 16 years ago.

It has survived 5 owse moves plus nigh-on total neglect but, still works as well sa the day I bought it.

So, I would say to the OP, don't give up on the critter just yet.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Jun 13 at 10:10
Tried all of the above, thanks, but to no avail. To the junk heap we will go, a pity since the sound quality was superb.
 CD Player Won't Play - Fenlander
I've still got a couple of this era Sony portable CD players and they have made it through all sorts of abuse. One was the source for music in my Xantia, input to the stereo aux socket. Often during brisk cornering if would fly off the console and end up in the footwell at the extent of its lead.

If you need another £7 inc post will get you a similar Sony on Ebay.
Good solution, thanks.
Latest Forum Posts