Non-motoring > New rules for vacuum cleaners Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 29

New rules for vacuum cleaners - henry k
"recent EU legislation limiting the power of vacuum cleaners to save energy."
Nigels comments.

www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/403912/Vacuum-ban-shows-how-EU-is-sucking-the-life-out-of-UK.

New rules for vacuum cleaners - Zero
Typical anti EU rubbish

"Rob Gosling, senior engineer at Dyson, said that when regulations come into force the power of household vacuum cleaners will be slashed from more than 2,000 watts to no more than 1,600.
"

My, perfectly adequate, good at sucking up dirt, vacuum cleaner is 1000 watts. Many suitable cleaners are readily available with under 1600 watts. Including a good old Henry.

Still dont suppose facts will stop the anti EU brigade merrily hoovering up all the guff they are told.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - henry k
My Sebo is 850/1000W so thats alright and it is made in Germany :-)
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - CGNorwich
"My Sebo is 850/1000W"

That's like buying like a BMW 1 Series

You need something more like the Sebo Airbelt D4 Premium Cylinder packing a meaty 2100 watts and using the latest turbine technology
Surprised that a power tool man like yourself is happy with a feeble machine that only provides a weedy 1000 watts of sucking power. Get yourself a decent German machine with at least 2000 watts and you will be the envy of your street.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Lygonos
Each person in the EU consumes an average of 6,000 kWh of electricity per year.

Each household, if it were to save 500Wx30mins per week using these lower rated machines, would save 13kWh per year. So, say 4 kWh per person. In reality it will be much less because (1) not every household has a 2kW vacuum, and (2) I bet most household vacuums run for less than 30mins per week.

New rules for vacuum cleaners - Armel Coussine
We used to have a Henry. It was fine. Now we have a different sort, horizontal cylinder, Bosch perhaps.

It has six fan speeds. Second or third speed from the bottom works fine and is quiet. However, when any woman uses the thing they turn it up to maximum which works equally well but screams like a banshee. Then they spend hours running the damn thing just outside the door of any room I happen to be in.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - R.P.
Whichever woman that does that obviously vacuums like you drive. We have Miele thing that maxes out at 1800w - German engineering and build. If you need more than this delivers you must have a dust bowl in the house.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - BiggerBadderDave
We have a vacuum cleaner. That's all I know.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Armel Coussine

>> Whichever woman that does that obviously vacuums like you drive.

How dare you Rob. I don't tailgate, flash or use the horn. My progress seen from other vehicles is so discreet as to be virtually invisible.

Being in the car with me is another matter of course, a monotonous stream of obscenities uttered in a high grating irritating voice rather like the vacuum cleaner actually. They can't hear you, herself grumbles, but I can.

Perhaps that's why she does that with the vacuum cleaner. Fair's fair after all.

:o}
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Cliff Pope
>> Get yourself a decent German machine
>> with at least 2000 watts and you will be the envy of your street.
>>

With a personalised serial number of course, and alloy casters.
You've got alloys? I need to get a set.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Clk Sec
Ours has air con...
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Lygonos
The wattage is mainly 'willy-waving' by the manufacturers: there's only so much vacuum you can achieve - most of the actual deep carpet cleaning is down to how the machine agitates the carpet rather than how it sooks.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Dog
Notice Farage's eyes - he's killing his liver.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - L'escargot
Our Henry Extra is only a mere 1200 watts but it still has enough suction on the high speed setting to lift the carpets.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Dog
"My" Miele (here we go again!) is 2000w, I wouldn't want a lesser machine thank you Mr. EU.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - L'escargot
The boy who is obsessed with vacuum cleaners ..... tinyurl.com/kllryu8
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 3 Jun 13 at 09:21
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Slidingpillar
But surely, if a new vacuum cleaner has a lower powered motor and less suck, you'll spend longer using it, thus using the same amount, or more electricity?

Bright ideas dept of the EU: Let's legislate all vacuum cleaners to have no more 3w motors - think of the electricity that will save...
>> But surely, if a new vacuum cleaner has a lower powered motor and less suck,
>> you'll spend longer using it, thus using the same amount, or more electricity?

No. Not the case.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Bromptonaut
>> >> But surely, if a new vacuum cleaner has a lower powered motor and less
>> suck,
>> >> you'll spend longer using it, thus using the same amount, or more electricity?
>>
>> No. Not the case.

Wattage is power consumption. How much translates into brushing or sucking is a function of design.

As Lygonos observes there's been a willy waving dash for kilowatts in vacs.

My Grandmother's Hoover Junior was less than 500w and picked up OK.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Ted

It's like ' World of Vacs ' here. We've got about 7 if you include the tiny little Dirt Devil in the caravan.

'Er indoors always manages to leave the vac in a doorway or somewhere blocking my progress towards the kettle. If I don't walk into it, I'll get my feet entangled in the cable !

The whole damn business sucks !

Ted
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Haywain
Good post, Ted :-)
Yeah let him blow off steam.

Or should this be in the "my kettle wont boil" thread.

That sucks.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Londoner
Paul Pearce, technical director of the national carpet cleaning association, said: "The performance of a vacuum cleaner has more to do with airflow than with the power rating, so it should be possible to reduce the power without affecting the cleaning perforance.(sic)"

tinyurl.com/26mt6dw (Torygraph)
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - TeeCee
>> My Grandmother's Hoover Junior was less than 500w and picked up OK.
>>

The Hoover Junior achieves its fearsome performance by thrashing the living ordure out of the carpet with beater bars and brushes. This flings up a cloud of crud inside the thing to be sucked away.
Unfortunately they only really perform well on deep-pile carpet as a result.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Bromptonaut
>> The Hoover Junior achieves its fearsome performance by thrashing the living ordure out of the
>> carpet with beater bars and brushes. This flings up a cloud of crud inside the
>> thing to be sucked away.
>> Unfortunately they only really perform well on deep-pile carpet as a result.
>>

The device I had in mind was one of these:

tinyurl.com/l9ctvm4

We actually kept it going until the late nineties when it tried to electocute Mrs B.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Roger.
For a small house we bought this: Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner for £124.99 from Amazon.
Works very well and is as light as a feather.
Build quality not as good as more expensive tackle, but that is a function of reduced weight - 5kg.
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - WillDeBeest
A house, even a small one, seems a lot to pay for a vacuum cleaner. But then, on reflection, it is in a UKIP area...

...Also curious to know how Yorkshire birds fly with their 5kg feathers.
};---)
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 3 Jun 13 at 13:46
 New rules for vacuum cleaners - Slidingpillar
Also curious to know how Yorkshire birds fly with their 5kg feathers.
They don't, they just plummet a bit...

Flap, flap, splat!
Latest Forum Posts