Non-motoring > Cheese ban completely crackers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 20

Cheese ban completely crackers - VxFan
More Health & Safety nonsense.

A cheese-maker has been told by police she may be liable for legal action if she supplies Gloucester's famous annual cheese-rolling event.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-22639675

The unique event has been held for over 200 years on the Whitsun Bank Holiday in May and has been known to attract thousands of ‘chasers’ and onlookers.

Mrs Smart, 86, who has made cheese for the event for 25 years, said police had warned her she could be regarded as responsible if anybody was injured.

EDIT - here's the Daily Wails opinion of it tinyurl.com/omulqar

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 24 May 13 at 13:12
 Cheese ban completely crackers - No FM2R
NO HEALTH AND SAFETY NONSENSE AT ALL

More complete tabloid trash repeated by the mindless, you mean.

Its nothing to do with the cheese, one way or the other.

It is that some people are organizing a public event without any PL insurance in place. If they therefore screw up, then they may well be liable for any negligence.

I am sure the tabloids would have preferred that the lady was given no warning, and then when some trigger happy lawyer sued her because someone was hurt at a public event they'd have been able to report how the local police didn't bother to advise her.

But I guess that doesn't sound quite exciting enough.

I'd tell you exactly what I think of this, but we both know the swear filter would explode.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 24 May 13 at 13:47

And last year there were also issues.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-18248802

Oh, and the year before that....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-12692863

And you'll never guess what....

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/8625388.stm
Since when has the BBC been a Tabloid?

I compare it to the silliness of banning playing conkers in the playground.

It's an event that's been happening long before H&S was even thought of, and like everything else these days, common sense doesn't apply anymore.

Surprised no one mentioned that a risk assessment would have to be completed beforehand.
I am writing this slowly so that you can understand....

IT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH HEALTH AND SAFETY, IT IS RELATED TO PUBLIC LIABILITY AS IT HAS BEEN FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS.

FURTHER, NOBODY HAS SAID SHE CANNOT BE PART OF THE ORGANISATION, NOBODY HAS SAID SHE MAY NOT SUPPLY CHEESE, THEY HAVE SIMPLY SAID THAT SHE MAY BE LEGALLY LIABLE AS AN ORGANISER OF AN UNINSURED PUBLIC EVENT.

And yes, I am shouting.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 24 May 13 at 13:59
>> I am writing this slowly so that you can understand....

ok Mark, I'll let you have the last word seeing as you've raised your voice and started the willy waving again.

Seems no one else is allowed to have an opinion or their own view about things without being shouted down by the chest puffers of this society.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=12468&m=279344
You're so predicable. I just knew you were going to post that link (again)
I thought the last word was mine?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=13836&m=315522
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 24 May 13 at 16:51
And I still stand by that statement. You most certainly are.
Let it go Dave, you tried to be the clever man with your little "I'll let you have the last word" willy-waving speech but you seem incapable of doing so and seem unaware of the irony of that.

What you posted and commented was done as a representation of fact, not opinion. It was not fact, you were wrong and you need to get over it.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=13836&m=315522

>>I compare it to the silliness of banning playing conkers in the playground.

I'd certainly compare it to the idiots who mindlessly repeat it...

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/09/conkers-goggles-myth-health-safety
 Cheese ban completely crackers - Cliff Pope
If she is organising the event than NoFMR2 may be right. But if as reported merely supplying the cheese then I don't see how she is any more responsible than say the manufacturers of a football that gets kicked through a greenhouse.

But on a general point it does seem that the police are taking upon themselves more advisory authority for all kinds of activities that go way beyond fighting crime and maintaining law.
Sometimes they appear to think that they are gauleiters responsible for everything that happens in their patch. Or is that just a false impression derived from the tabloid press?
 Cheese ban completely crackers - Mapmaker
>> If she is organising the event than NoFMR2 may be right. But if as reported
>> merely supplying the cheese then I don't see how she is any more responsible than
>> say the manufacturers of a football that gets kicked through a greenhouse.

It's abysmal journalism; tabloids at their worst - yes BBC, I mean you. A quotation from what the BBC actually said:

"Diana Smart, who makes the 7lb (3kg) cheese for the event at her Churcham farm, said police warned her about her responsibilities as organiser."

Which is a million miles from the way it being read by some posters on this thread. It does NOT say: "Diana Smart, who makes the 7lb (3kg) cheese for the event at her Churcham farm, said police warned her about her responsibilities as cheese maker and supplier."

But the BBC headline encourages you to read it thus.
 Cheese ban completely crackers - Manatee
Blessed are the cheese makers.

The police motive was probably to stop the event rather than help the cheese lady.

Since when did the police turn up mob handed to give anybody helpful advice?

Disgraceful bullying. That's what I want to think anyway. If somebody is stupid enough to run down a hill after a cheese, and breaks his neck, it's pretty obvious who has been negligent, and it's not the cheese maker.
 Cheese ban completely crackers - ....
>> Disgraceful bullying. That's what I want to think anyway. If somebody is stupid enough to
>> run down a hill after a cheese, and breaks his neck, it's pretty obvious who
>> has been negligent, and it's not the cheese maker.
>>
Is it the hill maker or, the landowner ? It would appear in the UK today everyone has rights but no one has any responsibility for their own actions any more.
>>Disgraceful bullying. That's what I want to think anyway

Its not very likely though, is it.

Equally would you guarantee that some git would not try and sue someone even if in the end all they achieved was just to cause a pile of stress.

That to one side it is the ridiculous reporting of this as if it had something to do with banning cheese which is so silly and annoying.

It amazes me these days the rubbish that the BBC will report. And it is quite obviously dangerous since so many people appear to take it as gospel.
 Cheese ban completely crackers - zookeeper
has anyone been watching this offering from the pen of Ben Elton .. not his finest hour but i find it hilarious

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ekz20eeg8M
Latest Forum Posts