Non-motoring > Something for Dog :-D Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 8

Something for Dog :-D - L'escargot
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjmABFfGJU
 Something for Dog :-D - Dog
Triffic idea L'es, I have seen that before actually, no good for Cornwall though really - too many hills.

Be great for somewhere like ... the shire of Lincoln though.

I like to see dogs working in some way - that's what they were originally bred for of course, not laying about scoffing cookies, in front of the telly :)

The RSPCA centre in Cornwall have 2 Husky's and an Alaskan Malamute, but their eyes would give me the heebie jeebies.

www.rspcacornwall.org.uk/animals/dogs/dogs.html
 Something for Dog :-D - Zero
There are various permutations on this, traditional sleds with a team of huskies used in scottish forests, chariots with wheels, 4 wheel go carts, tracers for your bike, and those scooter things. All huge fun, done a bit of dog racing with the four wheel carts.

No way tho would I have a husky or malamute in the house. One gets bored and tears the place apart, two are not bored and tear the place apart, three are a pack and tear you apart. Throughly untrustworthy animals.
 Something for Dog :-D - Fenlander
>>>No way tho would I have a husky or malamute in the house

There are quite a few "acceptable" breeds that justify the same comment... however it's true all the Spitz breeds are a little independent and not suited to total obedience.

One of our previous Spitz types was ace at pulling you along on the mountain bike on the end of his 8ft lead in your hand.... never actually tie them to the handlebars though!
 Something for Dog :-D - madf
From the link above, the last dog's commentary...make me laugh...

"Suki will need owners who have experience in this breed, as she is very strong willed and will need clear set boundaries from the word go. She will be a great addition to the family.

She cannot live with children. She is unable to live with cats. She is good with other dogs, but not to live with.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 23 May 13 at 14:52
 Something for Dog :-D - Fenlander
Quite madf.

It does worry me that the RSPCA, who are ultra critical in the way others keep their animals, will offer such a large proportion of unsuitable dogs for rehoming.

Our local branch (where Pat very kindly goes to walk their dogs) currently have 20 dogs. 13 are staffs, 2 lurchers, 2 GSD, bulldog, 2 mastiff and a jack russell.

Of one mastiff they say she's 1yr old and has only lived in a garden. No social skills, strong on lead, over excitable and mouthy. Suitable only for homes where children are 16+ as she's probably never seen a child before.

...and they will want to charge you £100 or so to take that portential disaster home.
 Something for Dog :-D - Armel Coussine
You would need to run one of those neglected or unbalanced pooches past Zero who is good at dogs. He might well be able to rehabilitate some of them, and would know when others couldn't be rendered safe and sociable.

Dog training is an unsentimental business, but a lot of 'animal lovers' are sentimentalists at heart.
 Something for Dog :-D - Pat
I saw that one Fenlander and thought the same as you...but I go there to make the dogs happy for an hour or so, not the charity or the staff!

Pat
 Something for Dog :-D - Dutchie
We had a Spitze breed when I was a young lad .Hollandse Keeshond very much one man dogs and he barked a lot.The chow must be of a similar family good guard dogs and they don't need to run for ever.
Latest Forum Posts