Non-motoring > Entry level strimmer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: DP Replies: 43

Entry level strimmer - DP
Any recommendations for a relatively low cost strimmer for a small garden / light domestic use?

I've been making do with a petrol one I got secondhand off a mate which never ran for long enough to cut anything, assuming it would ever start in the first place, and an ultra-cheap electric thing which was completely and utterly useless.

Both went to the tip last weekend.

As it's a strimmer I want to spend as little as I can get away with, but want something that isn't going to fall to bits or fail after half a dozen uses. As I said, it's not a big garden and will only get normal light domestic use.

Any experiences or advice gratefully received.

Cheers
DP
 Entry level strimmer - Dog
>> low cost strimmer for a small garden / light domestic use

You could always consider:

www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-GLC1825N-Cordless-Strimmer/dp/B004MPQXUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369298154&sr=8-1&keywords=rechargeable+strimmer
 Entry level strimmer - Zero
I have a Black and Decker reflex GL430. Its the only one I have had where the line feed works reliably. Also you can just buy any old strimmer line and wind onto the drum yourself. Had it over 10 years and its still going strong, not sure you can get them now, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a new B&D one.
 Entry level strimmer - madf
I bought an 18V rechargeable Flymo strimmer 3 years ago. Still going strong. Enough charge for 25minutes. No doubt the 240V ones are even better.

Good service and lots of spares..and cheap
www.lawnmowersworld.co.uk/f/All_Grass_Trimmers/products:Brand%20Flymo.htm?&gclid=CNb3pv_xq7cCFQjKtAodaD4AHA

You can buy quite cheaply.

Recommended.

EDIT

I bought a spare battery last year complete with hedge trimmer (!) - on ebay - discontinued new stock . At £47 it was cheaper than a spare new battery!

Original battery at 3 years is OK.. I recharge immediately after use.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 23 May 13 at 10:20
 Entry level strimmer - VxFan
The trouble with cordless tools is they have a habit of conking out half way through the job, and you then have to wait ages for them to recharge again. Or you forget to recharge them after using.

The above example by Dog also has Ni-cad batts which generally aren't as high performance as say Li-Ion or sealed lead acid batts and also suffer memory effect if you don't fully discharge them occasionally.
I have mains power in the shed at the bottom of the garden, so a power cord is no problem.

Seems Flymo and B&D both worth considering so far then.

Thanks for the replies so far. :-)
 Entry level strimmer - CGNorwich
I've got a couple of strimmers but I hardly ever use the things. A pair of shears usually does the job and they're a lot quieter. Found that with a lot of electric gadgets for the garden. The manual alternative is just as effective if a bit slower.

Took a leaf blower, hedge trimmer and a pressure washer down the tip a few weeks back in a de-cluttering exercise. The strimmers may well follow!

>>The trouble with cordless tools is they have a habit of conking out half way through the job, and you then have to wait ages for them to recharge again. Or you forget to recharge them after using

That's why peeps like mad f and me have 2 batteries, so when one conks out y'all bung the other one on.
 Entry level strimmer - MD
>> The above example by Dog also has Ni-cad batts which generally aren't as high performance as say Li-Ion or sealed lead acid batts and also suffer memory effect if you don't fully discharge them occasionally. (Always), but not 100%
>>
 Entry level strimmer - Haywain
I've had a B&D 30cm GL580 340w strimmer for about 10 years; it's still going strong and doing a good job. It's a mains type and I guess I only use it about half a dozen times a year because of the inconvenience of digging the extension lead out. Provided it's man enough for the job, a battery one would certainly be convenient.

Mine is a 'single-line' model; I read a report about a twin-line type where the owner complained about the quantity of line used. I rewound my spool yesterday, an operation which is only needed every 3 or 4 years.
 Entry level strimmer - Cliff Pope
>> I rewound my spool yesterday, an operation
>> which is only needed every 3 or 4 years.
>>

!

I have to rewind mine at least once each session. It's the biggest pain about strimmers - loading the spool keeping the cords in the right place while trying to get it shut without the spring and plastic bits flying out.
I've learned from experience not to try and do it mid-job in the middle of long grass, but to take it back to the terrace where there is a chance of retrieving the bits.
 Entry level strimmer - L'escargot
>> Mine is a 'single-line' model; I read a report about a twin-line type where the
>> owner complained about the quantity of line used. I rewound my spool yesterday, an operation
>> which is only needed every 3 or 4 years.
>>

I've got a twin-line Flymo Power Trim, and I hate it. I find it impossible to successfully put new line on it myself. Unless the line is wound on evenly and without crossing itself (which is impossible to do) , it quickly stops feeding out and I have to take it apart and start all over again. In desperation, the last time it misbehaved I bought a genuine spare spool and line assembly. I reckoned that the expenditure was worth it in exchange for keeping my blood pressure normal.

My advice is ~ don't buy a Flymo Power Trim!

The trouble is that in places like B&Q the display models have the spool removed, so you can't see what they're like.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 23 May 13 at 11:15
 Entry level strimmer - Runfer D'Hills
I have a McCulloch petrol one. I suspect it's their entry level model but I really can't remember as I've had it for at least 15 years. Never breaks or fails to start. I want to think it was about £75 then but not sure what a similar one would be now.

It's one of my most favourite things actually. It smells petrolly and belches two-stroke smoke on start up, makes a great loud revving noise and terminates everything in it's path. The dog hates it though.

Pretty much the best thing about it at this time of year is the opportunity to spark it up at 06.30 on a Sunday morning.

Crap mpg mind. Drinks the stuff if you give it some welly.

:-)
>> and terminates everything in it's path.
>>

Try fitting a brush-cutting blade instead - it would slice your foot off.
That sounds a bit masochistic for me thanks all the same. What's more, I couldn't be doing with a dog with no nose. ( cue the music hall jokes ! )
The little 2 stroke engines in petrol strimmers and the like are temperamental things. The one in the McCulloch strimmer I had would just quit when it felt like it, and refuse to restart. I couldn't pin it down to anything in particular - there was compression, fuel and a spark. Rebuilt and re-set up the carb, fitted a new plug, even changed the fuel lines. Nothing made any diffrerence. My dad bought a Ryobi one new last year. Worked beautifully all last season, now an absolute swine to start. despite being drained of fuel over the winter.

I do agree though they are very satisfying and huge fun when they work. That noise, and plume of lovely smelling two-stroke smoke when you give it some beans is wonderful.
 Entry level strimmer - TeeCee
>> My dad bought a Ryobi one new last year. Worked beautifully all last season,
>> now an absolute swine to start. despite being drained of fuel over the winter.
>>

Pull the plug and bull it up with a wire brush. Essential after a winter's storage.

Entry level strimmer - henry k
Recently binned my old Flymo mains job as the motor died.
For a replacement I visited Homebase and B&Q so that I could try them for size ,weight and convenience.
Only the larger/ more powerful seem to have adjustable length and the second handle that adjusts. Should allow a better posture and reduce back ache when " on the job"
Cheap makes seemed crude but very light. Some others were far too heavy for me.
Bosch seem to do many models of the mains type.
To date I am happy with my Bosch. It has a spare spool attached to the handle.
 Entry level strimmer - Bromptonaut
My 1992 Flymo multi-trim gave up the ghost after last winter. Like Henry I couldn't find a small one with adjustable head, steady handle, auto feed etc like the old one.

Ended up with a 450watt job that's really just a bit too heavy.
>>just a bit too heavy.

I've noticed that the guys who strim council land with really big machines ( I soooo want one of those ) have them on some kind of harness affair which presumably takes some of the weight, and they have sort of beekeepers hats on too. Not sure I'm quite ready for that bit.
>> >> have them on some kind of harness affair which
>> presumably takes some of the weight, and they have sort of beekeepers hats on too.
>> Not sure I'm quite ready for that bit.
>>

The shoulder strap makes a big difference.

The face protection is absolutely vital. I often see people strimming with no eye protection at all. They are mad. The machine can whip stones or bits of grass into your face at enormous speed. Having once cut my cheek only inches from my eye I always wear my helmet with visor.
It looks a bit extreme, but is much more comfortable than goggles and doesn't steam up. It can be flipped up when not actually strimming.
I'm not noted for my adherence to H&S stuff, but even I draw the line at losing an eye.
I have been known to lower the RayBans from the top of my head when strimming to be fair...

The other thing I've learned is not to do it in shorts or if you must, then at least put some wellys on.

I've never been injured by my strimmer but I did once manage to punch out a side window of one of my cars with a stone it flicked up. That was fairly annoying.
 Entry level strimmer - No FM2R
Which reminds me Humph, how's the dogs' mud track?
Dry, but still muddy. Grass seed is quite expensive you know. I'd not realised that before. Might be as cheap to turf it.
I had the fool monty when we lived up on Bodmin Moor = Westwood ride-on AND a Stihl brush cutter.

I never used a helmet/visor but, I did were ear defender things and a pair of those plastic eye protectors.

The Stihl had handlebars and a harness and I'd get quite carried away and cut back everything on the 2 acres of mud we had.

Don't miss none of it now though, I have a cheap (ish) Ryobi petrol strimmer and an 18" Honda Izzy which is self-propelled ... by me.
 Entry level strimmer - corax
>> I had the fool monty when we lived up on Bodmin Moor = Westwood ride-on
>> AND a Stihl brush cutter.

Husqvarna strimmers are good, I think that they have smoother engines than Stihl.

This thread makes me laugh - all you blokes getting excited over strimming. If you had to do it as part of your work, you'd soon tire of it, believe me :)
 Entry level strimmer - Fenlander
>>>strim council land with really big machines ( I soooo want one of those ) have them on some kind of harness affair which presumably takes some of the weight..

Despite leaving the rural life I've kept my Stihl like the type you mention... harness and handlebars but no hat just safety glasses.

Cutter ends are a choice of thick twine or several metal blade types.

Great machines but no small tree, fence post, wire fence or bottom motar layer on a wall is safe!
>>Great machines but no small tree, fence post, wire fence or bottom motar layer on a wall is safe!

:o}
 Entry level strimmer - Zero

>> Pretty much the best thing about it at this time of year is the opportunity
>> to spark it up at 06.30 on a Sunday morning.

Till of course it strims dog crap into your mouth. Neighbours revenge perhaps?
 Entry level strimmer - TheManWithNoName
Last week my old strimmer let go and the spool flew off the splined shaft.
Time to get a new one so off I went to Argos and bought one of their cheapest ones for £12. I stoopidly thought if it lasted 12 months it would still be worth it. Wrong!

It didn't even last 12 minutes. The line wound itself into the spool on one side and I couldn't get it out. This left the spinner unbalanced to the point where the spool shook itself free from the splined shaft. Back it went and I bought a £30 adjustable one instead which also does edging. Not used it yet but it looks better made than the Argos one.
 Entry level strimmer - PhilW
I've had a couple of cheap ones, neither of which lasted long and also seemed to use up the "twine" (??) very quickly so I decided to go a bit "upmarket" last time and got one of these
www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-fse-60-540-watt-electric-grass-trimmer.html
Had it a year or so and only replaced "twine" once and it does feel good quality. I have a big garden and a petrol strimmer but this is so convenient and efficient I haven't used the (very noisy) petrol one since I bought this one.
May be available cheaper elsewhere (mine was cheaper - about £80 I think, bought online but can't remember where.)
>>>www.car4play.com/redirect.php?http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-fse-60-540-watt-electric-grass-trimmer.html

That's a good link PhilW.

I must admit I'd never considered there was anything between my sapling muncher and an Argos cheapy electric.

My petrol would make well over £100 on Ebay so might sell it and buy one of those Stihl electrics.
>>>PhilW said... I've had a couple of cheap ones, neither of which lasted long and also seemed to use up the "twine" (??) very quickly so I decided to go a bit "upmarket" last time and got one of these

www.car4play.com/redirect.php?http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-fse-60-540-watt-electric-grass-trimmer.html

Well things move fast here Phil. Chap down the road gave me £125 for the old petrol Stihl last night and earlier this morning I visited the local garden machinery dealer and bought the electric Stihl like yours for £115 (yep they've gone up since you purchased).

Brillant well balanced machine with an obvious power advantage over the usual elec strimmers with a motor in the head.

Really appreciate the tip off on this model.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 7 Jun 13 at 14:20
>>>www.car4play.com/redirect.php?http://www.car4play.com/redirect.php?http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-fse-60-540-watt-electric-grass-trimmer.html

Interesting little post purchase tale on the above strimmer purchased from local Stihl dealer on Friday.

Soon realised power head was loose on the shaft so went to tighten retaining grubscrew. Found it was loose with stripped threads very obviously caused by assemby at the dealers when I purchased. They are delivered in a box with the power head and other bits not fitted and interestingly Stihl have a no online sales policy as they say it is essential a dealer undertakes this assembly so it is done correctly!

Dealer says bring it in and we'll swap it. 8.30am Sat find the swap machine grubscrew thread had also been damaged during assembly.

Only option dealer could offer to save me leaving with nothing was a discounted uplift on the next model. A brief, slightly unfriendly, haggle saw me leave with this better model at no extra cost.

I guess I did OK but in truth would far rather they had assembled the original one without ham fisted damage.... kinda puts you off going there for warranty/service work.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 10 Jun 13 at 09:54
 Entry level strimmer - Lygonos
In the summer before starting Uni I had a job with a local development corporation as a gardener. Planting trees and cutting grass with a meaty petrol strimmer with triangular metal brush cutting blade.

2 things: don't strim wasps' nests (unless you can run faster than your mates)

don't strim piles of newspaper as the sometimes sit atop someone's jobby.
 Entry level strimmer - smokie
Reminds me of a summer job I had - cutting the grass around graves in the City of London cemetery. It was quite well paid, and if you were quick there was quite a good bonus to be had. They weren't called strimmers then, similar things though, but industrial strength. I do remember going down thigh deep into a paupers grave one day. I suppose eventually the coffin etc wastes away leaving a hole underground.
Narrowed it down to B&D, Flymo and Bosch based on your kind advice above.

Found a Bosch on a good deal at John Lewis, and with SWMBO's discount, it worked out to 30 quid. Did the garden with it at the weekend and all seems well.

Thanks everyone.
 Entry level strimmer - L'escargot
>> Found a Bosch on a good deal at John Lewis, and with SWMBO's discount, it
>> worked out to 30 quid. Did the garden with it at the weekend and all
>> seems well.

Which model? tinyurl.com/mn92aeg
 Entry level strimmer - Robbie34
I have been looking for a decent strimmer, but there don't appear to be any that are fault free. Which? have a number of "Best Buys" but reviews by people who have bought them contradict the findings of Which. Here is a typical one about a Ryobi strimmer. There similar comments about all of the best buys.

I purchased this strimmer as a WHICH recommendation, I have experienced the same problem as other users in that the line feed does not work. My strimmer has been returned to Ryobi for repair, but the same fault still exists. Ryobi were very quick to pick up my machine and return it, but I do want a strimmer which has a line feed working. I would suggest that WHICH should review the recommendation of this strimmer, and put pressure on RYOBI TO FIX THOSE STRIMMERS WHICH DO NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY.

All of the best buys from Which? seem to suffer similar problems relating to line feed. The last two strimmers that I bought had these faults - a B&D and a Flymo. It was easier to trim the lawn edges and around trees using shears, because it was a pain having to dismantle the line feed holder and pull out more line each time.
Did Which test that Stihl PhilW linked above?
 Entry level strimmer - Robbie34
>> Did Which test that Stihl PhilW linked above?

No, unfortunately. I'm having doubts about Which? tests as some of their best buys have not been good buys for many of those who bought them. Steam mops and strimmers are good examples.
 Entry level strimmer - CGNorwich
"It was easier to trim the lawn edges and around trees using shears."

Easier, quieter, cheaper, more efficient in that you wont damage young trees and generally more enjoyable. Get rid. ;-)
I have one of these which I bought years ago:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McCullock-Petrol-STRIMMER-TrimMac-SL-/281116474673?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item4173d8fd31

I hardly use it but, I went to use it today and the blimmin thing was seized up ... through lack of use :)

I took the plug out, squirted a load of Plusgas into the combustion chamber, let it soak in for not very long actually, then I put my 1/2 extension socket bar down the plug hole and gave it a short sharp clout with an Irish screwdriver.

Jobs a good'n.
 Entry level strimmer - hawkeye
I have a Homelite trimmer that I bought from B&Q in '08. It's used to edge lawns on my small gardening round. With a new plug and the air filter washed each year it's been 100% reliable. It's had a couple of line-feed cassettes owing to fair wear and tear and the cassette gets brushed out every time I put some more line in. So far, so good ...
Latest Forum Posts