Non-motoring > Mick McManus R.I.P. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 27

Mick McManus R.I.P. - FocalPoint
The legendary bad-boy par excellence of British Wrestling has died at the age of 93. I used to love the Saturday afternoon ITV screenings when I was a kid. Still watch the American stuff. Weird, moi?

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/22/mick-mcmanus
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Armel Coussine
>> Weird, moi?

Not at all FP. Herself likes ballet too. Often wondered what MM would have looked like in a tutu and blocked shoes...

93 is quite a ripe old age. Shows he wasn't really 'fighting' all that time.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - No FM2R
FP, I too watched and loved the Saturday afternoon wrestling - Mick McManus, Jackie "TV" Pallo, Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, and so on.

Loved it all, and believed in it absolutely.

But I cannot get on with the WWF ilk, not at all.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Meldrew
Never did anything else on a Saturday afternoon, when I was an impoverished military cadet. Small curved screen B/W TV and crowded tv room
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - MD
I am with you guys. Sat at home with Dad. Curtains closed on a dull day and watching Mick perform. I have to confess I loved every minute of it. I often wondered if 'Pallo' was an Italian. Oh! happy innocent days>.>.>.>.>
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - MD
What are these underlined words all about or is it just my machine?
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - R.P.
no underlined words on mine :-)
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Runfer D'Hills
Only 5' 6" apparently. That's sort of disappointing for some reason I can't explain. I suppose it was so he fitted on the screen..

:-P
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Zero
93? blimey, thats a ripe old age. A character that bloke.
>> Only 5' 6" apparently. That's sort of disappointing for some reason I can't explain.

Isn't Arnold Schwartzenegger about that size?

Nothing more terrifying than a short evil geezer who's been taking steroids and pumping iron. And camera angles can make anyone look tall and menacing.

Of course no one knew about steroids when the lamented McManus was at the Royal School of Ballet. They do tend to make a person musclebound and clumsy, quite wrong for that all-in wrestler cartwheeling, prancing and rebounding off the ropes. Not to mention the affectionate, almost perverse high-fives...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 22 May 13 at 19:57
Sylvester Stallone is small it's said.
My grandmother used to delight in hating him....good entertainer in his time - hopefully he made a bob or two !
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Robin O'Reliant
People used to actually believe it was for real - an aunt of mine being one.
That was the art of it - so to speak.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Ted

MM can be watched on YouTube, My favourite was Les Kellett, he'd have been 98 now. I met him a few times, but I knew his daughter, Avril, rather better. She was a Manchester policewoman for a while, but got into bad company and married a n'erdowell. Took a pub in Longsight.

Remember Leon Arras...actor Brian Glover ? Here's a ' fight ' between him and Les.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zPH3u65H8

Comedians...the pair of them. Kellett was one of the hardest men you could wish to meet !

Ted
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - helicopter
Ah the memories - World of Sport on a Saturday and Kent Walton dragging on a ciggy as he introduced the next bout.

My old mum used to love the wrestling on TV and I remember her swearing at MM and Pallo on the TV..

I actually met Mick Mc Manus and Johnny Kwango ( remember his speciality head butt)....I hasten to add not in the ring but in the 80's at the funeral of a mutual friend who had worked for Dale Martin , the wrestling promoters.

MM was indeed very short and his thinning hair was dyed jet black .He must have been in his 50's even then...... I remember Kwango as being apparently punch drunk....

Here's Kwango v Pallo..... Head butt at about 2min 58 ....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y36lEzxMTs

Last edited by: helicopter on Thu 23 May 13 at 12:02
>> Kwango v Pallo..... Head butt

A first careless reading of yr post gave me the impression that Kwango had headbutted someone at a funeral helicopter.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - helicopter

.......Kwango had headbutted someone at a funeral .......

That would have made a memorable funeral AC..... it was at Croydon Crematorium which is in a pretty rough area of Sarf London ( Fort'n Eef ) but not that rough.......

It is a long time ago now since that funeral and some of my memories have faded but ISTR that Billy Two Rivers was there as well....

Frank, whose funeral it was , ran a business setting up the rings at boxing and wrestling events and was well known and respected by all the south London geezers who frequented them ...... all in all there were some pretty hard looking mourners there....

Mick McManus R.I.P. - Manatee
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zPH3u65H8
>>
>> Comedians...the pair of them. Kellett was one of the hardest men you could wish to
>> meet !
>>
>> Ted

Clicked on that for a quick look, and watched the whole thing.

Took me back. Dad in his chair, muttering "It's all put on!"

They didn't look exactly ripped did they? But surprisingly athletic, in short bursts.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - L'escargot
Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Big Daddy, Les Kellett, Giant Haystacks, Pat Roach, Brian Glover, Kendo Nagasaki, .............

Much more believable than the current Impact Wrestling.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - MD
Wasn't Pat Roach 'Bomber' in Auf Weidersein (sp)
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - VxFan
>> Wasn't Pat Roach 'Bomber' in Auf Weidersein (sp)

way aye man.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL6_ZiPhYaE
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - MD
I can't believe how young they looked. Just showed the Wife (Boss) and she said, So were we.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - MD
Good Lord. As the video faded they looked even younger. Where have the years gone??
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Dog
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8
Blimey Dog, that's a bit of a show stopper. I was 20 when Sandy Denny died. I'd quite forgotten what a beautiful voice she had.
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Ted

Adrian Street, Johnny Czeslaw, Catweazel, Bobby Barnes, Mel Stuart, Steve Haggerty.
Mal Kirk, who died when Big Daddy landed on him.

BD was an expert swimmer , when younger he was a lifeguard, Blackpool, I think, Swam out quite far and rescued a girl from drowning in the sea.

Here's another funny for the Dugong. Might watch it again meself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwDOyecwcuo

I spoke to Kevin Ruane, ( Haystacks ) a few times, he lived on my patch in Manchester. Lovely guy, but huge, 35 stone, I think ! Wife was about 5'2" and 8 stone...she was the boss ! Funny to see them out shopping together !

Happy days and happy Saturdays ! I don't go for all this glitzy WWF stuff.

Ted
 Mick McManus R.I.P. - Dog
>> I was 20 when Sandy Denny died

Fell down the stairs in Sunni Cornwall apparently Humph.

>>I'd quite forgotten what a beautiful voice she had

Other-worldly really - I quite often listen to a selection of her songs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0SUT0OTFvY&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aShQMCAwfu0

Latest Forum Posts