Non-motoring > War in Middle England? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 28

War in Middle England? - SteelSpark
Do you live in Middle England? Do you think that Cameron is trying to start a war with you?

tinyurl.com/qeblzrb

Perhaps we need to bring back National Service, so that we can protect ourselves...or maybe just to take our minds off all that unpleasantness...
 War in Middle England? - Armel Coussine
It's a war the PM stands to lose, or be severely damaged by. Homophobic views are very widespread, although most people are too fly to express them crudely and openly. Not everyone however, even here. Iffy (come back please Iffy!) being a case in point.
 War in Middle England? - L'escargot
>> It's a war the PM stands to lose, or be severely damaged by. Homophobic views
>> are very widespread, although most people are too fly to express them crudely and openly.
>> Not everyone however, even here. Iffy (come back please Iffy!) being a case in point.
>>
>>

What's with mentioning Iffy in this context? Pray tell. I'm all agog.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 22 May 13 at 15:57
I think it was Iffy, I hope I'm not doing him a small injustice. In some thread ages ago he, or whoever it was, expressed horror and disgust at what male homosexuals got up to in bed. I thought it a bit prurient of him and asked why he was taking such an interest instead of trying not to think about it too specifically like a normal person. Well, like me anyway.
 War in Middle England? - SteelSpark
>> It's a war the PM stands to lose, or be severely damaged by.

Possibly, or perhaps people really are not that bothered. Bothered enough to huff and puff, but probably not enough to change how they would vote, or to really make a concerted effort to get rid of Cameron.

Many would look at these people and wonder if they haven't got better things to worry (and vote) about and, in most cases, they probably have.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Wed 22 May 13 at 16:24
>> perhaps people really are not that bothered. Bothered enough to huff and puff, but probably not enough to change how they would vote, or to really make a concerted effort to get rid of Cameron.

I suspect many are more bothered than they let on. In any case widespread huffing and puffing, and plotting that may not be 'concerted' but certainly exists, can only be damaging to a minority government. I await the Lords vote on gay marriage with interest.
 War in Middle England? - Bromptonaut
>> I await the Lords vote on gay marriage with interest.
>>

Me too. They could tie the legislative process in knots as they did with the elections and referendums bill.
 War in Middle England? - FocalPoint
"... tie... knots..."

Not the best metaphor, perhaps...
 War in Middle England? - WillDeBeest
If we all thought in detail about what other people do in bed we'd have to outlaw marriage altogether, along with all sharing of bedrooms and just about everything else. Fortunately we have that other DM bugbear, the Human Rights Act and its promise of respect for private and family life. It doesn't have to be just like yours or mine to be valid and right, so (for once) full marks to Cameron for standing up to the loons.
Matt cartoon on the front of yesterday's Terrorflag. 21 May. Sorry, don't know how to post a link but easily found on the Telegraph website.

Well up to Matt's usual high standard.
 War in Middle England? - madf
Most of those who appear to post on forums as "anti gay marriage" claim they are "pro marriage".

But they tend to go very quiet when asked if that means they think that people like Boris Johnson - prolific womaniser altho' married - should be thrown out of the party and children born out of wedlock should be stigmatised and not be party members.

There's an awful lot of confused thinking about the issue...
 War in Middle England? - No FM2R
>>Most of those who appear to post on forums as "anti gay marriage" claim they are "pro marriage".

Not me, I'm just pro "not making laws about how people choose to live their life".

In this case that includes not making laws telling churches who they must marry within their own religion (if indeed that's what these laws are supposed to do).

If someone wants to get married in a registry office, or whatever they are called these days, then good luck to them.

If they don't, then equally good luck to them. Personally I couldn't care less if they are straight, gay or small green men from Mars. It is their right to do as they wish as shall I.

For goodness sakes, Eija-Riitta Berliner-Mauer married the Berlin wall and there was far less fuss about it.
 War in Middle England? - Mapmaker
I cannot understand why anybody cares about this issue - one way or the other.

We already have what is often referred to as gay marriage with the civil partnerships legislation.

Therefore:

1. If you're in favour of real gay marriage, what does it give you that the current gay marriage doesn't.

2. If you're against it, you're too late.

Who cares!
 War in Middle England? - PhilW
"I'm just pro "not making laws about how people choose to live their life"."

Same here - and the thing that annoys me about this is that there are far more important things that the Guvmint should be concerning itself with rather than this and min alcohol pricing, plain packs for ciggies, whether to ban e-cigs, banning unlabelled olive oil things etc. e.g. how to get the economy going again.
They seem to be just messing about with how to control personal choices rather than the important matters.
Anyway, guess I'll save them a bit in pension payments by going and having a small cigar and a glass of wine (both bought in France!!! Where £5 for a pack of 20 good small cigars and £2 for a bottle of swiggable - yes, swiggable, not quality! - wine are still the norm ) while sitting in the evening sun wondering why the lawn needs cutting yet again but it's too cold to get my tomato seeds growing. Maybe I need to burn a bit more gas/diesel/electricity and get this global warming going.
Cheers all,
P
 War in Middle England? - Dutchie
Having a glass of wine now quality about five pound a bottle.Cut the grass I've got a few tomato plants growing they are just alive only just.

Let them get married and be happy live and let live.
 War in Middle England? - PhilW
Dutchie - my cheap small cigars (bought in France!) are Dutch - Agios Mehari's Brasil - they are even cheaper in Netherlands and Belgium!
Enjoy your wine!
P
Last edited by: PhilW on Wed 22 May 13 at 19:16
 War in Middle England? - Dutchie
Thanks Phil.I used to come back from Holland with a few boxes of Willem 2 Cigars for my wife's late father.He used to love them I think he thought he was Fidel Castro.

You enjoy your wine to what a live we are rich.
>> Let them get married and be happy live and let live.

You're a good cat Dutchman. Sound attitudes.

I've been enjoying the second vodka of the evening sitting outside (bit chilly, damn) with herself, trying to decipher the birdsong. Difficult sometimes to distinguish blackbird from thrush. She said it will soon be time for nightingales. Lugubrious damn things they are. Like teenage rock bands for the last twenty years...

Someone said the other day this isn't a green and pleasant land. It certainly is round here at the moment, apart from the ambient temperature. The bluebells are numerous on the verges and where they ought to be in the woodland. The deer didn't eat them all after all.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 22 May 13 at 19:45
 War in Middle England? - Zero
Middle england doesn't care about gay marriage one way or the other its only the aptly named swivelled eyed loons that are kicking up a fuss.

War in Middle England? - Runfer D'Hills
Which one gets the ring?
 War in Middle England? - Zero
bad choice of words.
 War in Middle England? - -
Another storm in a teacup.

Who cares what anyone thinks or says, is it only freedom of expression belief and speech if the message is 'right on' with the thinking of the day...not tomorrows thinking nor yesterdays, must keep that hymnsheet on the right page.

All of us have our thoughts and beliefs, if our thoughts of today were aired 50 years they would be vilified and if the 'right on message' thinkers here were to air those views in 50 years hence they would again be vilified by the new right ons then.

I couldn't give a toss what anyone else believes in or what they say in public or in private, if i don't like what they say i'll disagree and or ignore them, simple, we don't need a collective mummy to censor those whose views don't happen to coincide with todays fashion.

As for gay marriage, fine do what you want, doesn't bother me in the slightest and i can't figure out why all the fuss....unless of course its about forcing people to follow the fashion.

Lots of hypocrites of all persuasions about, gay hetero and whatever else there is.
Quick to condemn religion with all its faults and foibles but equally quick to demand they be married in pretty little churches with full religious services.
 War in Middle England? - Robin O'Reliant
Well said that man.

War in Middle England? - MD
GB Sir. As ever, the voice of reason.
Not a compliment I'd want from the man who advocated 'repatriasian' [sic] as a solution to overcrowding on trains. Not that I'm likely to get it.
 War in Middle England? - DP
Since the tax breaks were abolished in the late 90's, there's no point getting married anyway. ;-)
 War in Middle England? - Cliff Pope
My solution to simplify the whole thing and please everyone :)

1) The state has nothing to do with "marriage". There is simply a state-registered formal partnership, which can be between any two people who wish to link their lives and financial affairs. They could be male, female, brothers, sisters, any one.
Children would be the legal responsibility of both partners.
It would form the basis of any joint rules regarding taxation, benefits, etc.

2) Marriage would be a separate and private affair under the rules of whatever organisation or religion the couple chose. On its own it would have no legal status whatsoever.

Anyone wishing a traditional church/state wedding would use (1) and (2)
Anyone wishing a legal non-conventional marriage would use (1) plus any religion/organisation that met their requirements
Anyone who just wanted the legal arrangement would chose (1) alone
Anyone who didn't care about state recognition of their partnership would chose (2) alone, or neither.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 23 May 13 at 09:29
Since the tax breaks were abolished in the late 90's, there's no point getting married anyway. ;-)

So a lot of people seem to think (smiley noted, incidentally) until one of them dies.

I broadly agree with Cliff, although I'd adopt something like the French system, where all marriages have to be contracted at the town hall and any religious element is optional and kept separate. As a bonus, it would do away with that tedious interlude in a church wedding when the couple disappear to sign the register.
 War in Middle England? - L'escargot
>> Do you live in Middle England? Do you think that Cameron is trying to start
>> a war with you?

I live in east England, so war in middle England won't affect me.
Latest Forum Posts