Non-motoring > Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 22

Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - Dog
I 'won' a www.fireplacemegastore.co.uk/electric-basket-fires/burley-cottesmore-223-electric-basket-fire on ebay which is collection only.

Eh, it's in Stroud, Gloucester ... I did confirm with the seller prior to bidding that she was okay about using a courier for ze collection.

It weighs about 15kg and I've had a look at www.parcel2go.com/ but I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this sort of thing.

Muchas gracias.
I be thinking that I'll get the seller to take el Fuego to a UPS collection point, as they live in a difficult (for a del. driver) position to reach.

Buenas Noches.
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - MD
anyvan.com my old mucker.
Yes, I woz looking at e'e earlier Martine ;)
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - MD
I've heard very good reports.. Work out the miles e/w and I'll do it for 35 pence per mile every mile of course my door to my door PLUS a wage. Guarantee you'll find anyvan cheaper.
I wood do it myself guvnor, but it would costa me over £70 in juice if I took my Scoobie doo.
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - mikeyb
Used parcel to go - all they do is give you a choice from the usual couriers. Worked OK.

Is your seller happy to package and prepare your shipment?
>>Is your seller happy to package and prepare your shipment?

Good question mikey, I was on the eBay forum last night and they were asking the same question, they also said it's not a good idea for a seller to let a buyer arrange his own collection via a courier.

Anyway, I've been in touch with the seller and they are okay about packing up the 15kg fire, I've offered to pay extra for their time/materials.

I managed to get that fire for £40 ... not a good time of the year for selling fires ;)
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - Robin O'Reliant

>> I managed to get that fire for £40 ... not a good time of the
>> year for selling fires ;)
>>

Hah!

You ought to live down here matey.
>>You ought to live down here matey

Similar to up/down here m8y = 10° @ 7.00am.
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - madf
Pretty warm in hell just now.. Fires are free... Live now, pay later.
You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
mad f, we couldn't get the Fire!

I'll teach you to burn.

Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - Cliff Pope
>> >>it's not a good idea for a seller to
>> let a buyer arrange his own collection via a courier.
>>

Why not? Isn't that much the same as going and collecting it yourself?
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - L'escargot
>> ......... www.fireplacemegastore.co.uk/electric-basket-fires/burley-cottesmore-223-electric-basket-fire .............

Just out of curiosity, I wonder why it's recommended that the fire should not be used as a sole source of heat?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 22 May 13 at 08:15
I've had one of these www.amazon.co.uk/Dimplex-Stockbridge-Traditionally-Optiflame-Electric/dp/B002G09PQC/ref=sr_1_15?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1369206968&sr=1-15&keywords=optiflame for about nine years now, but it's gorn on the blink, I can get the parts okay, but it would cost me more-than the fire is Harry Worth.

On max (2kw) it will heat an arf decent sized room but, it would Costa Mucho Señor.
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - Fenlander
I send a lot of stuff every week, including heavy things most people put as collect only.

Personal choice is UPS via Interparcel but any parcel service broker will be OK I guess as long as the chosen carrier is OK. Interparcel would be about £10 for 24/48hr service.

www.interparcel.com

As others have hinted only issue is the packing quality by the seller who you would assume didn't initially think they wanted to get involved with sending it.

They are very helpful to do this as had they offered carriage themselves the final price would have been more like £60-£80.

I hope you'll be a gent and accept all liability if it is damaged in transit, even if due to poor packaging.
Thanks Fenlander, I was going to go with UPS, but the MyHermes depot is just down the road from where they live in Stroud.

I did try anyvan, but the cheapest quote from them was £50 whereas Hermes came to £12.

I am a gent (these days) so if it gets nuked-in-transit, I won't scream and shout about it.

:)

Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - Fenlander
Sellers like a gent for a buyer!

My most feared item to send is china. More than a few bits and the combination of weight and fragile nature makes for extra careful packing. I always stress the 24/48hr until safe receipt is confirmed.

On an associate subject I don't know if anyone has noticed but since 1st April Royal Mail changed their whole size/weight/pricing system such that it is uneconomic to send anything other than a very small/light packet with them.

I've just received a new to me camera via RM and it cost £6.75 1st signed for... UPS via Interparcel would deliver a box of 30 such cameras for £10.50

Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 22 May 13 at 13:26
I've paid for the fire by PayPal already, being that I'm a gent :)

That fire would cost £100's new, and we need a new one, so it's a gamble really I suppose, Hermes seem to use little old ladies in little old cars to deliver locally (well, they do here) but of course, it's what happens in the distribution centres that matters but, at least it's starting to warm up now.

In Cyprus!
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 22 May 13 at 13:37
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Just out of curiosity, I wonder why it's recommended that the fire should not be
>> used as a sole source of heat?
>>

Notice the Queen was using a proper one-bar electric fire to heat Buckingham Palace, not twee pseudo-cottagey tat.
The electric fire I 'won' on eBay was delivered this morning, the packing could have been carried out better but after replacing the 2 fireglow bulbs it's up & running okay and I reckon it's a result for what I paid for it.

Bidding on a collection only item is a goer - as long as the seller agrees to collection by a courier or, as in my case, takes the item to a courier Co's collection point pre-arranged by you.
 Using courier to collect/deliver eBay item won. - Stuartli
In case you ever need a courier again for goods to either to be collected from you or from a seller, try:

www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

It has tie ups with all the major couriers, yet the cost is a fraction of what the couriers themselves would charge. In all other respects, you get exactly the same service as if you'd booked/used a courier yourself.

Last year I sent a large, heavy parcel from home to the Caymans. DHL had quoted a price of more than £600 to deliver it and one or two others were even more expensive. I contacted Transglobalexpress after conducting a Google search for alternatives and they arranged for DHL to provide the service.

Cost? £196 and reached the recipient a week after DHL collected it...:-) Used them again two or three times since with similar benefits.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 28 May 13 at 18:18
Ta, I'll bookmark e'e.
Latest Forum Posts