Non-motoring > Motorola Defy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 135

Motorola Defy - MD
Defiant more like. Tis a piece of carp to say the least and it now has to be changed due to a speaker fault. Does anybody know if the text messages can be saved. EE (Orange) shop man has attempted to save them to a smart machine in the shop which he did, but the machine would not write back to the SD card. Any thoughts please.
 Motorola Defy - -
Text them to your wifes/girlfriends....;) phone and get them to retext to your new phone when its enabled.

Suggested the Samsung X Cover2 (GT-C3350) before to you Martin, its designed for hard work and the battery lasts ages between charges, around a week if used daily and a month on standby, not a smartphone though.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 21 May 13 at 07:58
 Motorola Defy - MD
Thanks GB, but there's 3000 of them! Not all required, but some are business and ideally should be retained.

As for 'phones it's gotta be smart now. Just trying to find out the difference between a Samsung Galaxy s3 and the same, but LTE suffix.

Thanks.
 Motorola Defy - -
3000??

Strewth, no idea then sorry.
 Motorola Defy - MD
The orange shop chap says that Defy to Defy is easy, but I don't have another Defy and I guess there's no one daft enough anywhere to own one either!!!
 Motorola Defy - Dog
>>3000??

Obviously a text maniac.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Boom Boom.
 Motorola Defy - Maisie's Dad
Martin, have you checked the Google Play Store to see if there's any apps that can back up text messages?
Last edited by: Maisie's Dad on Tue 21 May 13 at 09:27
 Motorola Defy - DP
To answer one question above, the LTE version supports 4G connectivity. Non-LTE version does not.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
Try SMS Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store. Should do exactly what you want.

As for the difference between the SGS 3 and the LTE version... main difference for you will be that fact that the LTE version will handle 4G. Probably a difference in specification too - wouldn't be surprised if it was a Qualcomm CPU in the LTE version as it will no doubt use a Qualcomm baseband for the phone.

Whether that phone can handle 4G on the new frequencies the likes of Vodafone and O2 will offer - I have no idea. But you mention EE.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Maise's Dad. Genius. Looks like you've sorted it. Shame the bright young thing in the shop couldn't point me in that direction. Thanks to DP and RTJ too.
Last edited by: Martin Devon on Tue 21 May 13 at 11:09
 Motorola Defy - Ted
>> >>3000??
>>
>> Obviously a text maniac.
>>

I wish I had said that !

Ted
 Motorola Defy - Dog
You will Teddy, you will.
 Motorola Defy - Zero
Now then, about this business filing system of yours, Its not really fit for purpose, is it.
 Motorola Defy - Ted

I'll set 'em up....you knock 'em down, Bonzo !

Teddy
 Motorola Defy - Boxsterboy
I can confirm the Defy is carp. I managed to offload mine whilst the market still thought it had some value, luckily enough.

I wish Apple would do a rugged iPhone, but it obviously goes against the grain with them.
 Motorola Defy - R.P.
Otterbox "ruggedizes" the iPhone well - I've had them on Blackberry and my old iPhone4 - the one on the 5 is in a different league thought. Fits like a glove with proper port protection - dropped off the table onto the porcelain tiled flor yesterday no damage. Use it on the bike - never a trace of dampness despite the climate. Cracking bit of kit.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Who retails them in the UK Rob?
 Motorola Defy - VxFan
>> Who retails them in the UK

By the power of google ( tinyurl.com/ngnnowj ) here's a few examples:-

www.amazon.co.uk/tag/otterbox/products

www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/Otterbox.htm

www.play.com/Search.html?searchstring=otterbox&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts

www.expansys.com/brand/otterbox/

And no doubt countless suppliers on ebay and the like.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 May 13 at 10:29
 Motorola Defy - Mike Hannon
>>Defiant more like. Tis a piece of carp to say the least and it now has to be changed due to a speaker fault.<<

Can't use Defiant - that's the old electronics brand name from the Co-op. Pal of mine's still got a Defiant radio, the only one that will pick up Radio 4 LW all down here.
 Motorola Defy - MD
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, somebody help before I throw this ruddy phone up in the air and shoot it deader than it already is.

The advice I have received on here regarding Google Play store seems sound, but I cannot purchase without a gmail acc. This I have sorted. NOW I cannot seem to 'Play' without the 'Play store App'. When I search for the play store app I get options to go to the play store, but not the app. It is as you might have guessed, getting very very frustrating.

MD
 Motorola Defy - Maisie's Dad
Google Play was previously called "Android Market". Maybe it is still called that on your phone?
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Do you use software to connect/sync your telephone to your computer?
 Motorola Defy - MD
Motorola Phone Portal. My Computer friend can't fathom it and nor can anyone else I know. Seems Motorola plough their very own odd shaped furrow.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
You could always grab the APK for the app and install that. You'll need to go into phone settings to enable the ability to install applications. Should be somewhere like Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources (Allow installation of apps from unknown sources). So just copy the APK file to the phone and try opening it.

Although not the latest v6.0, found the APK for SMS Backup and Restore 5.9 here:

handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/SMS-Backup-Restore-Download-92446.html
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
what rtj70 said, and this....

motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50753

Got to go out, but can help later if you're still stuck.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Hello Sir, I have to say that I installed the stuff from Softpedia as suggested, but it has played HAVOC with the machine. I am, as we 'speak' attempting to un-install it. An interfering piece of carp if ever there was one.

As an aside I am now getting really low quality adverts on here (C4P). I wonder if it is the site or the Shi I have installed. Not happy.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
I've just uninstalled SMS Backup and Restore I got from the Google Play Store and grabbed the version I pointed you at. Worked fine for me. Maybe some other things missing from the Defy in terms of Android apps?

What version of Android are you running on this?
 Motorola Defy - MD
Froyo 2.2.2. The stuff from Softpedia carried a lot of malware. I removed 12 items. I am still getting crap on here now. My Computer friend who I respect enormously says that the Defy and I think more importantly Motorola, seem almost to be in a stand alone position. I am truly amazed that in this day and age that there is not a one button solution for retaining the contents of ones phone for transferring to a new device.

Getting square eyes now so up the wooden hill shortly, still grumbling!!
 Motorola Defy - Zero
No-one keeps text messages, they are not meant to be filed or stored or referenced long term, so no-one bothers to transfer them, so there is no myriad of good apps to do it.
 Motorola Defy - MD
YOU are not in business I gather.
 Motorola Defy - Zero
got nothing to do with it, no-one else in business does it either.

There would be lots of apps to move text messages of they did wouldn't there.
 Motorola Defy - MD
>> There would be lots of apps to move text messages of they did wouldn't there.
>>
There are if you look.
 Motorola Defy - Zero
so why you one here bleating about it then?
 Motorola Defy - MD
Clearly you can't read or is it you just can't understand the underlying problem prior to moving/saving them. One day you are so helpful and the next just a narse.
 Motorola Defy - Zero
Of course I can read - The problem is that you have 3000 text messages that you need to move. What you cant, or refuse to understand is that keeping 3000 texts is madness, and then you compound the madness by saying that they are vital for business.

If they are that vital they shouldn't be kept as text messages. It really is that simple.

Now here is some advice. Dont save vital business related information as text messages, for various solid sensible reasons, one of which you are grappling with now. So don't give me a hard time because you aint being sensible.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
I can see why the content of the texts is important - and therefore why keeping them as texts was not the best option. Finding a particular text will be a pain if there's so many, and loss or damage of the phone means loss of texts.

With so many apps on Android there's little excuse apart from maybe the Defy being a poor smartphone. Backing up the SMS messages is one thing but that leaves 3000 (and growing number of messages to handle. Better to store there somewhere more appropriate? If you had something like Airdroid on the (next) phone, you could access texts from a web browser and therefore paste them into another app on a computer. The tool I used twice now in about 12 months (and suggested above) outputs the backup as an XML file - which can then be imported into something more useful like a database.
 Motorola Defy - MD
I don't need them all, just some. I am fully aware that this is NOT the correct medium for important Business transactions, BUT......if for example one is on a roof (as I was this morning) and one finds a problem and one needs to notify the Client urgently and get an answer to proceed with additions then the sms system goes someway to ensuring that the Client keeps their part of the bargain as some can be very fickle when reality, in the form of an invoice, hits their desk.

I have sent one or two to my e-mail from the sms box, but of course they are turned in to mms and then I incur quite a charge.

I do find it very frustrating in these supposedly advanced times that there is not simply a one button solution to cope the complete contents of the phone even for the Cowpat that is the Defy.....................But then again spose I should've bought an I-Phone (0:/:0)
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
Moving content to the HTC One was easy with software from HTC. They could also move a lot of content from an iPhone too (not tried that). Getting the SMS messages backed up and then restored is easy if you had access to the Google Play app store. And the Defy being an Android phone, I am surprised you do not.

But then you've only just got yourself a Google mail account - something you need to setup an Android phone. I am assuming you were not syncing contacts or calendars from the phone to Google either? My tablet and phone sync with Google. The Mac also syncs.
 Motorola Defy - MD
I'll get a decent phone next time but I bought this for it's ruggedness. Motorola should stick to two way radios for farmers.
 Motorola Defy - VxFan
>> But then again spose I should've bought an I-Phone

Had you have done, you could have taken a screen grab # of each text message and downloaded the pictures later ;)

# by briefly pressing the lock and home buttons together
 Motorola Defy - MD
BUT I didn't. I bought a Y-phone instead. (0:/:0)
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
You can take a snapshot of the screen an Android too. But hundreds of text messages? I don't think so.

For Martin's next phone, he needs to adopt a more regular filing/archiving system.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
>> The stuff from Softpedia carried a lot of malware.

I scanned it for malware before I installed it - didn't find anything and it installed and worked okay. This was on Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Since you're getting rid of the phone then it didn't seem you would benefit from installing the Google Play app (so you could download an app for SMS backup from there).

Sorry my suggestion has caused you grief. If this Android phone had the app store accessible this would have been a doddle. Seems the Defy has restrictions. Of course Motorola is now owned by Google but that doesn't affect the old phones does it.

For transferring the content of one phone to another, there are solutions. For HTC they have an app you install on the old phone and it can then copy things over WiFi to the new phone (but you need access to Google Play and it's HTC only). Or you can use backup files. Also possible to move across things from an iPhone too.

The output of the SMS Backup and Restore app is in XML format. Meaning for what you are trying to do, you might just want to keep it as an XML file for reference.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
You say you need a smartphone, but without a Google email account you could not have added an apps to this phone before.

And if you didn't have access to Google's store, the app won't have got upgraded to the Play Store and will no doubt still be called Android Market.

Have you 'registered' the phone with Google now you have a Gmail account?

The app I mention is free - but you still need to be signed into the Play Store to get it. Or do it from the phone.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 22 May 13 at 11:23
 Motorola Defy - Armel Coussine
I don't know what a Defy is. But perhaps there aren't enough fs in it. Does it make you Def? Is that perhaps its purpose?

Jus axin.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Well Sir,

It Defy's (sic) any reason. Bit like Cameron I 'spose.
 Motorola Defy - Zero
Should've got an iPhone.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Feed you the line. You never let us down. Good man. (0:/:0)
 Motorola Defy - Runfer D'Hills
Just a tip for future reference Martin. I, like you, by the sound of it, get a lot of text messages, some of which contain info I'd like to save. I've got into the habit of forwarding the interesting or useful ones to my own email address so that next time I'm at my computer I can file them.
 Motorola Defy - Zero
You can cut and paste the text message into other more useful apps on the phone. There you can make them indexable and searchable, and automatically back them up.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
The discussion about how Martin got here to one side....

You have to connect that phone to something to save those text messages - So wireless or USB to your computer, wireless to google account or similar.

You need to get SMSBackup or similar on to the phone. You coudl even try loading it on to the SD card and installing it from there.

Its not difficult if one has the phone in front of you, so I would have thought your computer friend could help you. One of my daughter's friends had similar with a Motorola XT303, so I understand the pain, but it truly isn't that hard.

www.howtogeek.com/112852/how-to-backup-your-text-messages-to-your-gmail-account/
 Motorola Defy - Runfer D'Hills
Easy for you to say ! I've only just managed to figure out what people meant when they said "app". I've never needed an "app" before. That I'm aware of anyway. They sound ghastly.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Leave this to me Hump. I'll soon be the 4 rum xpert.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
If you want a rugged phone, then there's a rugged Android phone from Caterpillar. One place selling it in the UK is Clove:

www.clove.co.uk/cat-b15-tough-smartphone

If you just want a phone that is water and dust resistant (so flaps over ports) then there's a Sony that does that: the Experia Z. Or if you did fancy a Samsung, there's a variant of the Galaxy S4 that is more rugged etc:

www.tomshardware.com/news/GS4-rugged-water-resistant-dust-proof-pictures,22667.html

Or do as Rob says and get an Otterbox for a phone.
 Motorola Defy - AnotherJohnH
Interesting links above...

got me thinking about something for SWMBO who drowned her old Nokia the other day...

samsung B2710 solid immerse

looks promising.

Short of memory for texts etc, which may be a good thing....
 Motorola Defy - MD
>> Short of memory for texts etc, which may be a good thing....
>>
Swine................(0:/:0)
 Motorola Defy - MD
As you know now have a gmail acc, however I cannot access it via the phone. Is it safe to assume that Froyo 2.2.2 is too low to allow this to happen?
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
No.

What happens when you try?

Motorola Defy - MD
>> What happens when you try?
>>
It says your phone needs to communicate with Google servers to set up your account. This may take up to 5 minutes.

Just done that again and the message as ever is ...Can't establish a relaible data connection to the server.

I am trying it on wifi. My username is I guess my gmail addy and the password was correct. Grrr
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Can you access the internet on that phone? Its not being blocked by a firewall setting on your router, is it?
 Motorola Defy - MD
Internet fine Sir.
 Motorola Defy - MD
And I have just added my Yahoo account to the phone!!!
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R

I can only think of one thing; use your pc and log into that google account. It may be seeking an additional security step.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Just done that and then tried again on the phone even to the point of using the create instead of sign in button and it put my info straight in so it knows me. Lost.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Popping out for a while. If you have any more ideas Sir I would be most grateful.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
I dunno Martin, bit stuck.

It all works fine on my phone, I've just done it all.

The correct solution(s) have been recommended, so its a matter of making one of them work.

I think that to resolve it someone needs to fiddle directly with the phone. Wherever you live is there not a small independent phone guy, perhaps even at a market?

Because I think you're at the point of needing to give someone a tenner to resolve it for you.

Sorry, maybe rtj has got better ideas.
 Motorola Defy - MD
>> I think that to resolve it someone needs to fiddle directly with the phone. Wherever
>> you live is there not a small independent phone guy, perhaps even at a market?
>>
thanks anyway, but what concerns me is that nobody, but no body in the EE shop or anyone else for that matter including orange could sort it out and then on here Maise's dad suggested an App. Amazing that not one of the so called 'with it' youngsters even considered it. I too am stumped Sir.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Oh the main store shops are usually rubbish, you need an independent.

Around Bicester there is one in a small shop in the town centre and another out at the Finmere Market. I wonder if there is anything similar near you?
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
I can only assume Motorola deliberately restricted Android on this phone. Not googled it but as an Android phone, it should have been possible to access the market place. Often cheaper tablets have left off the app (but it can be installed) because they don't want to pay Google.

EDIT: Taking a quick look at a review of the Defy, I see the icon for the Android Market on it's screen and in the application tray. But Martin's seems not to have a 'Market' icon with a picture of a bag with the robot logo on it??
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 24 May 13 at 16:28
 Motorola Defy - MD
My colleague mentioned the bag logo, but what now also concerns me is WHY I cannot get 'it' to recognise my gmail account. Double Grrrr.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
What happens if you log in to your Google account on your computer and go to the Play Store?

play.google.com

I am assuming if you click on the 'cog' in the top right of the browser and then go to settings, your phone does not appear in the Play Store account settings.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
I assume you've only recently created this Google account? And this account has been added as an account to the Market app?
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Sometimes they apps can get duff data.

My last suggestion;

Go to SETTINGS
Go to APPS
Go to MANAGE APPLICATIONS

You'll need to tap where it says ALL, so you're not just looking at some applications.

Find the various applications; Google, GMAIL, App Store, Play, whatever and for each one;

Tap on the application
Tap on Clear Data

Also do this to any application beginning "Google...."

Then exit out of all of that and restart the phone, and then see if you can access your Google account.

If that doesn't work then the only thing left to save your SMS is this.....

www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/bb/Notepads-and-Accounting-Books/Shorthand-Pad/N=2+2+1288796/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 24 May 13 at 16:40
 Motorola Defy - MD
>> Sometimes they apps can get duff data.
>>
>> My last suggestion;
>>
>> Go to SETTINGS
>> Go to APPS
>> Go to MANAGE APPLICATIONS
>>
Done that. There is a bag with a robot on it and it's called 'Market' only, nothing else.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
SETTINGS
ABOUT PHONE
Software Updates

?
 Motorola Defy - MD
No update available. Tried that....
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
www.screwfix.com/c/tools/sledge-hammers/cat831080
 Motorola Defy - MD
(0:-:0)
 Motorola Defy - VxFan
>> and another out at the Finmere Market.

Is that place still going? I thought it had finished again.

That's had nearly as many comebacks as someone on here who repeats a certain link ;)
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 24 May 13 at 16:56
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
Martin, what happens when you open the Market app? Nothing? I take it you've added your google account to the Market app?
 Motorola Defy - MD
How do I do that. Builder here, not a technician, sorry...

As ana side I said i'd added yahoo to the phone earlier. Just had e-mails hit the phone no problemo.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
There will be a menu in the Android Market app. On there there will be an option to add accounts. Since most on here will now have the Play app, I can't tell you exactly what it looks like.

I think the Defy has 4 capacitive buttons on it - the left most one should open the menu for you. Should find settings from there.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
>>will now have the Play app, I can't tell you exactly what it looks like.

It is something like settings / accounts / add account.

Just a thought; Have you actually managed to start the Android Market yet? Because its starting it which triggers the upgrade.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
It's why I asked him the same - open the app and check the Google account he has is associated with the Market app. It's only when you open the Market app that the phone will register with Google's app store.
 Motorola Defy - MD
>> >>will now have the Play app, I can't tell you exactly what it looks like.
>>
>> It is something like settings / accounts / add account.
>>
>> Just a thought; Have you actually managed to start the Android Market yet? Because its
>> starting it which triggers the upgrade.
>>
OK. So where shall we start in the Android market?
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Are you into the application Android Market? If so, try to search for and then download sms backup.

What happens?
 Motorola Defy - Pezzer
If I recall the Gmail id is normally entered during initial setup of the phone rather than directly into the GMail app' as it also covers access to the Market/Play Store, Google search etc.
Do you have a initial setup icon - it might be worth firing this up and seeing if this helps
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
>> Is it safe to assume that Froyo 2.2.2 is too low to allow this to happen?

As said above, no. My first Android phone had Froyo and had access to the Google applications market (now renamed Google Play Store). There is an Accounts option in the menu for the Google Play store app. You can add it in there - but need the app first!

"Some devices that are running Android 2.2 and above may require an additional system update to get Google Play - if you’re running Android 2.2 and above and still have the Android Market app installed, contact your carrier or manufacturer for further details."

snipped from

support.google.com/googleplay/answer/190860?hl=en

but at least the defy is in their list of supported devices.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
The old app might not work now I suppose. Now if he'd had a Google account all along and the phone was updating apps, he'd (a) have an up to date phone and (b) have been able to download an app to backup his SMS messages.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
I don't think that's it. I had to factory restore an old Motorola a few weeks ago and it still managed to upgrade to Google Play - it was within the last couple of months.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
I hope not for Martin's sake.

Forgive me for asking though... Martin you say you need a smartphone... why? You don't seem to take advantage of this one so far. What is it you need on a smartphone?
 Motorola Defy - Zero
Text message storage.
 Motorola Defy - MD
>> Text message storage.
>>
Ya gotta love him.....
 Motorola Defy - MD
>> Forgive me for asking though... Martin you say you need a smartphone... why? You don't
>> seem to take advantage of this one so far. What is it you need on
>> a smartphone?
>>
Weather, E-mail. Searching for companies addresses and phone numbers on the move etc.
 Motorola Defy - MD
>>
>> "Some devices that are running Android 2.2 and above may require an additional system update
>> to get Google Play - if you’re running Android 2.2 and above and still have
>> the Android Market app installed, contact your carrier or manufacturer for further details."
>>
>> snipped from
>>
>> support.google.com/googleplay/answer/190860?hl=en
>>
>>
>> but at least the defy is in their list of supported devices.
>>

I THINK YOU SIR HAVE CRACKED IT. I'll contact the folk at Orange tomorrow (if they work Saturday's) and see wtf I need to do as I appear to be short of the ADDITIONAL UPDATE REQUIRED. However trying to update this brick is seemingly impossible.

I have just enjoyed a very acceptable Punjabi Chilli Chicken and Peshwari Naan, washed down with 4 Cobras and been driven home by the management. Dogs now playing up. This could get very interesting.......
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
So you cannot see any apps in the Android Market using the app having added your Google email account then? Just checking. You did run the app and check/add the account going via the menu like I said above?

From this thread you should definitely not get another Android phone :-)
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
Maybe quicker if one of us could email you Martin. Or speak to you on Tuesday after the bank holiday. Too much latency on this forum to sort things out like this.
 Motorola Defy - Zero
>> Maybe quicker if one of us could email you Martin. Or speak to you on
>> Tuesday after the bank holiday.

Text him.
 Motorola Defy - MD
It appears that I am stuck in a loop. I am told by the system that I haven't accessed the play store from my device and to do so and also to add an account to use google play on the device. I can't achieve either. hmmmmmmmmmmm
 Motorola Defy - MD
And it appears that the laptop is not a supported device either. Acer 5742Z
 Motorola Defy - sooty123
At this point I'd be down to taking pics of the texts I wanted and putting them on the computer. Then obliterating that thing with the heaviest object I could find.
>> And it appears that the laptop is not a supported device either. Acer 5742Z

All that's telling you is that the laptop isn't an android phone (which can get beyond fro-yo).

I've been out in the sun for a while... so tell me what's wrong with the following -

Martin has emails "on" a Motorola defy, and want's them off that phone.

Most personal email is "webmail" and although there may be a cached copy on the phone, the mail is on central server(s) somewhere.

This webmail/email can be viewed, and downloaded, just about anywhere if you know the account name, and password.
(I have Hotmail and bt/yahoo in addition to gmail on my droid, and they are all available on any pc).

Once downloaded to a PC the mail can easily be sorted/deleted/tidied up.

This mail can then be downloaded to any device once the account is set up on it.

Motorola Defy - No FM2R
>>so tell me what's wrong with the following -

This bit....

>>Martin has emails "on" a Motorola defy

Martin has text messages on a Motorola Defy......
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Martin...

This might just be the thing....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq4iC8VRdbo

It gives two solutions, watch them both before deciding which to do.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 25 May 13 at 14:53
 Motorola Defy - Zero
Here is a third solution if the first two don't work.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWej0tMNkQ

Text me how you got on.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Well Boys. I told you I'd soon be the site's Top Techie. Why you no risten?

Went to see the Son-in-Law cos he can be quite a beacon on a rainy day and doesn't like being beaten and dislikes giving up. He played around for a couple of hours and got just about as far as you/we/us have done over the last few days. Then he changed a setting about the way the Defy ant handles data I think it was, and we were 'in'. I have now downloaded the play store app. Have uploaded the sms and everything else to a larger sd card and have also uploaded to the net and checked same and they're all there. So thank you to all for your perseverance and patience with a non-techie Builder..........................Oh! and the Son-in-Law said..

You should have bought an I-Phone..
>> Martin has text messages on a Motorola Defy......

Well spotted.

Too much sun, it would seem... :-(
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
Glad you got there in the end Martin. Now you can backup the SMS' you can delete them a lot off the phone I would think.

And AnotherJohnH, another flaw with your thoughts on email still being on a server. If like me you access email from a computer (POP3), phone (MAP4) and occasionally a web browser... you might not want all of them remaining on the email provider's server forever... so my computer downloads emails and leaves them on the server for about a month before deleting. Imagine how many emails (including junk) there would be after about 14 years!
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Yes, glad you got there Martin. Kind of frustrating that I suspect your son-in-law found the fault about the same time I found that Youtube video after struggling with the issue all week, but at least you got there.

On the new phone make sure you have a backup strategy for your SMS messages. Then it doesn't matter if you do continue to use that method.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
If Martin has a backup method for SMS, it makes sense to get the content into a more useful format than just reloading the SMS messages onto another phone.

Backing up the messages periodically would be a start.

If I were Martin I'd not rule out another Android phone. More chance of getting a robust device than with an iPhone. But do configure the new phone with a Googlemail account from the start :-) Then you can download apps, get updates, etc.
 Motorola Defy - MD
To be fair I ignored the last three messages this morning as I presumed, rightly or wrongly that anything from the tube, by this stage would be pee taking vids. I couldn't have moaned if they were. It was perseverance on the SIL's part that prevailed with verbal input from me which was gleaned in the main from input from this forum.

Those who understand these things understand these things and that is simple as with most subjects. My expertise is building. Give me a 13 1/2 inch English Bond corner to build in Staffordshire Blue Engineering bricks and I am in my element. An I-phone can't do that.......

Once again thanks to all for the patience and the laughs....M.D.
 Motorola Defy - Zero

>> Those who understand these things understand these things and that is simple as with most
>> subjects. My expertise is building. Give me a 13 1/2 inch English Bond corner to
>> build in Staffordshire Blue Engineering bricks and I am in my element. An I-phone can't
>> do that.......

Its got an inbuilt level...........
 Motorola Defy - MD
Text me that................Loadsa space................
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
Now MD can download apps, he probably has a level app like Bubble.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bz.ktk.bubble
 Motorola Defy - idle_chatterer
I have (had) a Defy+ issued by work, I chose it because it's dust and waterproof and in fairness it is well built too. However from a software perspective it's been an awful experience from my perspective. Completely hobbled by bloatware from Telstra and Motorola and unable to run a modern version of Android due to a feeble single core CPU. Often its CPU was so overworked it was impossible to make or answer calls - which is the whole point of phone isn't it ?

It is locked down so you can't remove the bloatware. So, I bit the bullet and have just taken delivery of a Google (LG) Nexus 4, half the price of the iPhone 5 I bought SWMBO and actually a much nicer device IMHO, the pure-Android latest OS is infinitely better sans-bloatware and the 4-core CPU is comparable to a Galaxy S3 or even an S4. No 4G (but then most places there is NO 4G coverage in Aus).

I am very happy, not sure I can even bring myself to foist the Defy+ on my youngest, seems like some form of cruelty to me....
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Wed 26 Jun 13 at 14:39
 Motorola Defy - MD
Send it here dear boy. Despite me hating mine in a previous life it now works although at a snails pace compared with modern gear. You're soooo right about it getting confused if you ask too much of it, but I hate change. I hate change soo much that I dread changing phones or pc's and generally muddle along. Still want a galaxy s3 though, but will regret it i'm sure.

night.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Dunno about that, but I got an S4 about 3 weeks ago. Absolutely love it.

And the battery life is actually acceptable. I use it a lot, 3G & WiFi and battery life is still more than a day.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
>> Still want a galaxy s3 though

Don't waste too much time - they will stop making it soon. After all the S4 physically the same phone. Okay a bit smaller, bigger screen, faster etc. But to look at they are both the same cheap feeling phones.

I'd say you would be better with the Galaxy S4 Active... but personally I dislike the Samsung Touchwiz interface.... it's improved since I got a Galaxy S a few years ago so some of the issues are gone... but it's naff.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
>>After all the S4 physically the same phone

Are they? I'll take your word for it, I've never held an S3, but I did think they were physically different.

>>But to look at they are both the same cheap feeling phones.

Oh I don't think I'd agree with that. Wife has latest iPhone, I just left an HTC One, Daughter No. 1 just got Huawei, daughter No. 2 has Motorola (which is ok except small RAM) and I would say that the S4 stands up very well in look, appearance and feel.

And functionality.

I'm not sure what you mean by the interface, I haven't noticed anything that works less well than on the HTC.

Its the only Samsung I've ever had but I'm quite impressed. About the only thing I could say is that the volume control is a bit over sensitive.

Still, each to their own.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
If you put the S4 and S3 side by side they are identical to look at and feel the same. Okay the S4 isn't an upgraded S3 as such but the physical construction and use of materials is the same. To me cheap feeling. If you compare to the new HTC One (not a One X, One S, One SV etc) you have to admit the HTC One is the nicer designed/made phone :-)

I don't like Samsung's Touchwiz interface. Too many widgets and changes from stock Android. The HTC One with version 5 of the Sense overlay is much closer to Android 4.x.
Well (so far) I can thoroughly recommend the Google Nexus 4, no bloatware and much more 'tactile' than the S3/4 with a very high quality look and feel. great screen and performance with comparable innards to the S3 at least. All at 50% of the price of the S4 or iPhone 5 with which it stands comparison.

Of course, you need to buy it outright as networks don't carry them on their deals given Google's direct sales channel and possible the low price.
 Motorola Defy - Alanovich
I think the Nexus 4 is the same phone as the LG Optimus G Pro. That may well be obtainable on pay monthly deals.

These are the phones I'd be looking at if I were intending to ditch my Nokia N8. Those and the Sony Xperia Z. As soon as I can get one on a free upgrade I probably will.
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
>> All at 50% of the price of the S4 or iPhone 5 with which it stands comparison.

It is cheaper because it is subsidised by Google.

>> networks don't carry them on their deals given Google's direct sales channel and possible the low price.

You can get a Nexus 4 in Carphone Warehouse... but it's not cheap like it is on Google Play's store. It's £400 SIM free, £380 PAYG (plus SIM cost) or from £26pm. So available as a pay monthly phone. Just not as cheap as you'd want considering the low cost from Google.

The Nexus 4 is certainly comparable to a SGS 3 or HTC One X. All have 720p displays for example and in the UK all use an Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core (+1 low power core) CPU.

Actually the Nexus 4 CPU is faster - it's a Snapdragon... almost an ARM15 CPU.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 27 Jun 13 at 14:48
 Motorola Defy - rtj70
Looking at the deals for the Nexus 4 at CPW... I'd much prefer to get the HTC One for a bit more money :-) But that's comparing the latest phones with a year old one really. If you want the Android phone to be like a Nexus so without Samsung's Touchwiz or HTC's Sense UI overlays, both the SGS4 and HTC One will be available as Google Play Experience phones... well in the USA at least.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
Assuming that this review is accurate, it would appear to be significantly more than 50% of an S4.

www.trustedreviews.com/google-nexus-4_Mobile-Phone_review
>> Assuming that this review is accurate, it would appear to be significantly more than 50%
>> of an S4.
>>
>> www.trustedreviews.com/google-nexus-4_Mobile-Phone_review
>>

I paid $AU399 (about GBP240) for my 16GB Nexus 4 from Google play, I've no desire to get one on a plan because (if you do the maths) you still pay the same for it over some 24 month lock-in period (at least in markets such as Australia and Hong Kong anyway). And I hate any kind of carrier lock-in for a device I have paid for (Smartone, Vodafone, Telstra take note).

A Galaxy S4 retails for $AU799 (up to $AU899) as does an iPhone5 16GB in Australia, so that makes the Nexus 4 about half the cost by my reckoning? IMHO it certainly isn't half the phone.

It might be subsidised by Google but then it also (perhaps) shows the super-normal profits being made by manufacturers in this marketplace. I've read that prices are generally inflated to give the carriers opportunity to make margin on the sale and this is a factor in carriers not retailing the Nexus 4. IIRC Apple's relationship with carriers was initially complex due to their desire to appropriate the rent on their products and disintermediate the carriers ?

My family all use iPhone (4 and 5), they are lovely devices but have currently lost their differentiation IMHO, I wonder whether IOS7 and/or some forthcoming products can prevent Apple from sinking back to some lower level of success - seems that their history is cyclical ?
 Motorola Defy - Duncan
>> Of course, you need to buy it outright as networks don't carry them on their
>> deals given Google's direct sales channel and possible the low price.
>>

£15.58 per month after cashback.

Link to money Supermarket:-

tinyurl.com/qg48syt
 Motorola Defy - MD
A week or so ago I caught the tail end of a tale on radio Devon where a customer had moved his phone contract to another provider and baulked at the first bill. It seemed he hadn't read the small print where he was being charged from the moment the receiving phone started ringing and not when answered. Even if he wasn't connected/unanswered he still got charged. Has anyone heard of this practice?
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
No, and I don't believe it either. There must be some details missing or perhaps misunderstood.
 Motorola Defy - MD
Heard it loud and clear. Don't shoot the messenger.
 Motorola Defy - No FM2R
I don't doubt you for one moment, the radio presenter on the other hand...............
 Motorola Defy - Bromptonaut
>> A week or so ago I caught the tail end of a tale on radio
>> Devon where a customer had moved his phone contract to another provider and baulked at
>> the first bill. It seemed he hadn't read the small print where he was being
>> charged from the moment the receiving phone started ringing and not when answered. Even if
>> he wasn't connected/unanswered he still got charged. Has anyone heard of this practice?

Deleted - I'd not read post above correctly.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 28 Jun 13 at 11:44
Latest Forum Posts