Non-motoring > French data and voice SIMs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

French data and voice SIMs - R.P.
Any idea where I can get one, ideally pre-pay - I just want to use it for a week or so to access e-mails etc..
 French data and voice SIMs - FotheringtonTomas
What is "fr3nch data"? It sounds pretty dodgy to me!
 French data and voice SIMs - Runfer D'Hills
France I should think.

:-)

No, not being flippant ( Moi ? ) I'd have thought your best bet would be to buy in Calais or wherever you first set foot.
 French data and voice SIMs - rtj70
What do you intend using it in? Make sure the device is not locked to a particular network. Also if this is for data in a USB data device (or similar) then again they are not only often locked but also need setting up with the correct 'dialing' string for other networks.

Most USB data devices can be unlocked and reconfigured for different networks of course. And legally.
France - pretty confident my old Nokia N75 will handle it (never rejected a SIM yet) Yes in France when I visit in the next couple of weeks on the bike.
 French data and voice SIMs - smokie
No idea about France (I know some Frenchies and could ask) but I planned to do the same for my big US trip last year. But their market doesn't just sell SIMs - you had to buy a whole mobile and airtime package, which turned out a bit pricey for what I wanted.
I managed to get a PAYG SIM in the States - I was wondering about getting a French one before leaving home. Maybe Mike Hannon may be able to suggest something.
 French data and voice SIMs - rtj70
Is this purely for data use etc? I assume you'll have your normal SIM/phone for calls etc too.

If data only, you could always consider WiFi when available. Although my experience of my 3 MiFi in Greece was not that good. I had Vodafone 3G on my mobile (no data on the works SIM) but the 3 MiFi had a signal but rarely data. Only when close to Turkey.

I did use my wife's phone when I needed online bank access... it cost a lot for not a lot of time. I then sorted the hotel's WiFi for him and got free wifi for the rest of the holiday.
 French data and voice SIMs - smokie
What with the 24h Le Mans coming up, I see one of my American friends has asked a similar question on www.clubarnage.com, responded to by Termietermite, a Englishwoman living in France. Might be of interest.

www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=10463.msg137773#new
 French data and voice SIMs - Telb
You could try 0044.com. Don't know if they cover data as well as voice though.

HTH
Terry
Got one now from e-bay - ekit -found the details on moneysavingexpert. 50 cents a minute for voice and about an euro for data - cost me 1.79 ! comes preloaded with some credit.
 French data and voice SIMs - Soupytwist
WOuld you mind posting the seller details, or a link to the one you bought. I'm considering the same sort of thing for a trip in August.
Latest Forum Posts