Non-motoring > 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 14

1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - Armel Coussine

gawker.com/street-scenes-from-london-in-1927-in-strike-colour-s-503352196?autoplay=1

I hope this works.

God how I hate hats. The few that aren't disgusting look poncy, which is a bit better but still embarrassing.
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - BiggerBadderDave
I saw a dashing, young man in Marble Arch, a newspaper under his arm, walking forward but looking over his shoulder and bumping into a young girl. (3.30)

Do you still have that suit Lud?
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Tue 14 May 13 at 18:21
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - Runfer D'Hills
Wonderful ! The thing which strikes me is that my Dad would have been 20 when that was shot so it was the way his world was. A lot of hats weren't there?
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - R.P.
And very smooth, pristine road surfaces......
By contrast to Edinburgh at that time. Lots of cobbles there. Still are in places.
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - CGNorwich
"The thing which strikes me is that my Dad would have been 20 when that was shot so it was the way his world was. "

Struck me the same. My Dad was born in 1914. His oldest brother was born in 1883. The amount of change that generation live through is truly amazing.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 14 May 13 at 20:14
>> Do you still have that suit Lud?

Funny BBD, I never fancied tweed suits, but that's quite a decent one. Cost a pretty penny to get one like that today. The poncy titfer's all right too.

The Petticoat Lane sequence is the one where horrible hats are massed.

People tended to smell noticeably even when I was young, and I suppose things were even more primitive 11 years before I was born. A young modern person would be horrified.
Indeed, I suppose my father was in his 50s before he used deodorant. People must have reeked.
>> my father was in his 50s before he used deodorant.

I've tried it of course, but I don't use deodorant. Noticed ages ago that it makes me smell worse after a couple of hours in hot weather. I do sweat like a pig, or used to. Washing from time to time, and changing the odd undergarment, seem to do the trick as a rule.

That American invention the shower is a great boon to modern man. We all smell whether people seem to notice or not. The trick is not to smell too nasty.

I never failed to be impressed by the way poor urban Africans, sometimes living in dirt-floored shacks and hideous slums, keep clean with a couple of litres of water a day and none of the toiletry products we use as a matter of course. I must have smelt appalling to them, pouring with sweat the moment I came out of the shower, but they were very polite and hardly seemed to notice.

Racists commonly claim that Africans smell bad. Not the ones I've met, and I've met a hell of a lot.
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - Harleyman
Can't help but think that in this day and age, the bobby might well have arrested you for filming him.
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - Dog
That Orson cart going o'er London Bridge reminds me of my miss-spent youth when I used to hop orf school to go 'totting' with some other toerags, our horse 'n cart was identical to the one in the vid.
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - Cliff Pope
Fantastic, almost unreal. As we all know, the past was in black and white. So the rare photograph or film in colour looks like a fantasy world, like a carefully constructed film set.
When the director shouts "Cut!" all the extras go home and the buses go back into the museum.

In fact makers of period dramas could learn something by watching that bit of film.
They need to rough up the vehicles a bit to make them look dirtier and shabbier, and also to drive more slowly. Pedestrians need to take less heed of the traffic.
Notice that man on London Bridge who strolled out in front of the bus they were filming from? No modern actor would naturally do that, they are too conditioned by modern living.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 15 May 13 at 08:49
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - R.P.
The guy using a mobile phone at 3.42 mins may prove your point Cliff.
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - crocks
>> Fantastic, almost unreal. As we all know, the past was in black and white. So
>> the rare photograph or film in colour looks like a fantasy world, like a carefully
>> constructed film set.

I agree Cliff. My Dad was working as a bellboy at The Langham Hotel in London about that time so those are images of the London he knew.
 1927, colour film shot by the process's inventor. - Cliff Pope
There's a very moving old film staring Robert Donat as William Friese-Green, the original inventor of that colour photography technique.
Claude F-G developed it further, and took that London film and his famous clips of a Lands-End to John O'Groats trip.

I sold a non-working Ixus camera on eBay a few years ago, and it was bought by an obvious camera enthusiast called Friese-Green. I commented on the family tradition, and he was chuffed that I knew the name.
Latest Forum Posts