Non-motoring > Grammar quiz Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 20

Grammar quiz - Crankcase
Dagnab it.

9 out of ten. Blew the last one.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22512744

Grammar quiz - sooty123
I managed 6/10 with several total guesses.
 Grammar quiz - Dog
Same as sooty.
 Grammar quiz - neiltoo
Nine
 Grammar quiz - Bromptonaut
6/10. That damn thing about gender of siblings was in there again and I still think you cannot tell!

Of other three I got wrong two were about terminology - gerunds, dangling participles and such like - rather than correct usage.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 14 May 13 at 14:03
 Grammar quiz - neiltoo
I was very pleased with nine - it's about 55 years since I was taught any grammar, until the last three years, when I've been taking Italian lessons. Grammar seems much more important to the Italian teaching methods.

I'm greatly in favour of the tests, if it results in an improvement in our children's knowledge of our language. (accepting that the need for that is not universally accepted here!)
 Grammar quiz - neiltoo
It was the semi-colon I got wrong.
 Grammar quiz - Zero
Excellent, no-one got 10. Anyone who tries to complain about grammar on here in the future can be instantly dissed as "not qualified"
 Grammar quiz - Manatee
>> Excellent, no-one got 10. Anyone who tries to complain about grammar on here in the
>> future can be instantly dissed as "not qualified"

8. AAA*** I reckon, on the current scale of GCSE marking.

What sort of exam has a 100% pass mark, Zero?

(EDIT - the Jumbo Jet landing test, I suppose)
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 14 May 13 at 14:52
 Grammar quiz - Cliff Pope
"The man next door has a garden that is being overrun with cats".

So he also has several other gardens, but only this one is being overrun with cats?
 Grammar quiz - neiltoo
Should be overrun by cats.

8o)
 Grammar quiz - Cliff Pope
>> Should be overrun by cats.
>>

Yes, I wondered about that too, and even tried looking it up, but as I found good examples using either I left it at that.

I wondered whether they had slightly different meanings:

Overrun by Germans in 1939 = taken over by Germany, but not necessarily by a large number.

Overrun with Germans = can't move for Germans and they have taken all the sun loungers.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 14 May 13 at 15:25
 Grammar quiz - Alanovich
6. Yikes. Disappointed with that.
 Grammar quiz - Armel Coussine
Seven. Utter disgrace on one level, don't give a damn or feel at all worried on another.
 Grammar quiz - Runfer D'Hills
I might have popped a comma in after "damn" AC...

:-))))
 Grammar quiz - Armel Coussine
>> might have popped a comma in after "damn" AC...

My instinct is to keep punctuation to a necessary minimum Humph. I'm not an American academic (boy do those carphounds love their finicky commas).

To keep the sentence grammatical, a comma after 'damn' would have made it necessary to put another after 'worried'.
 Grammar quiz - crocks
6/10. I'm a "Promising pedant".
 Grammar quiz - Londoner
I managed to get all 10. This merely gives me the right to criticise the test without being accused of "sour grapes".
Most of the questions test points of grammar which are not relevant to real life communications. As long as the meaning is clear, who cares if the grammar isn't entirely perfect?

But luckily this ain't a problem wiv the Queen's English like what we speaks in London, innit?
 Grammar quiz - movilogo
7/10

Grammar quiz - Telb
10/10 for me. Might have to widen the door for me to get out!
 Grammar quiz - Mapmaker
10/10 for me.
Latest Forum Posts