Non-motoring > 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 14

1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Robin O'Reliant
I think we'll call this a fail (naughty word warning) -

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/is-this-the-worst-first-day-in-history-rookie-news-anchor-aj-clemente-sacked-after-first-words-on-air-are-f-s-8582622.html
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - L'escargot
Whatever the environment or occasion, I assume that anyone who resorts to swearing hasn't got a sufficient intelligence or knowledge of their language to be able to express themselves adequately without swearing.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 23 Apr 13 at 06:57
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Stuu
I have always thought it telling that most of the proflic swearing I hear is from the working classes and it is always the middle classes that complain about swearing ( what it actually amounts to is a judgement on the intellect of the lower classes ). Class warfare middle class style.

True, I dont swear much myself, but so long as I can determine what is being said between expletives it has never bothered me in the slightest, the blokes I worked with at the garage never stopped. It is just part of language and there is no concrete reason why one word is swearing and another is not, it is just cultural.
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Zero
>> Whatever the environment or occasion, I assume that anyone who resorts to swearing hasn't got
>> a sufficient intelligence or knowledge of their language to be able to express themselves adequately
>> without swearing.

Your assumption is completely wrong.
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - -
Oh dear i'm definately working class then, sometimes someone is being such a complete 'expletive' that only that particular word or combination of words adequately describes the worse than useless attributes of the one so described.

1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Zero
They are great words. Usually 4 letters, with explosive sounds at beginning and end, pronunciation can be altered and bent defining various sounds to suit the occasion. Combinations of expletives can be strung together for amusing, shocking or threatening effect.

Its what makes out language great, init.
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Alanovich
One of the best measures of a person's mastery of foreign languages is their ability to swear correctly in them. It's very difficult to get right. Takes years of practice.
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - sherlock47
>> Whatever the environment or occasion, I assume that anyone who resorts to swearing hasn't got a sufficient intelligence or knowledge of their language to be able to express themselves adequately without swearing.<<<

Your assumption is completely wrong.

>>>that most of the proflic swearing I hear is from the working classes and it is always the middle classes that complain about swearing. <<<

I believe that this is also wrong.

As my age has increased my language has certainly "become more colourful". Maybe increased age has given the clarity of thought that makes me realise that I do not give a monkeys about what others think:)

I have also witnessed the same trend amongst other retired 'professionals'.

I do not discount other possibilities,
- the correlation between age and failing memory and consequent difficulty of finding the 'right word'?
- influence of social trends?
- suppressed values from childhood and upbringing finally surfacing?

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Apr 13 at 00:51
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - L'escargot
>> >> Whatever the environment or occasion, I assume that anyone who resorts to swearing hasn't
>> got a sufficient intelligence or knowledge of their language to be able to express themselves
>> adequately without swearing.<<<
>>
>> Your assumption is completely wrong.

Well, I'll be dad-blasted!
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Armel Coussine
I am an utter disgrace in this area, always have been. Lacking in vocabulary and verbal dexterity, I have always fallen back lazily on profanity and obscenity. Nothing ingenious about it. You just string them all together, repeating yourself at will. Two short stints working as a minicab driver made me even worse.

My wife once told me accusingly that she had heard one of the nippers, barely able to speak, saying 'Uck!' in a moment of annoyance. Dear oh dear. Amazing how ladylike they have all turned out.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 23 Apr 13 at 13:30
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - No FM2R
>>anyone who resorts to swearing hasn't got a sufficient intelligence or knowledge of their language

I beg to differ. I know more about the language because not only do I know all the good words, I know a whole bunch of bad ones as well. Its not an either or situation.

One of the reasons that there are so many more words in use in English than there are in American, is that we like to use the exactly appropriate word and thus need more of them to fit all situations.

Thus, sometimes a swear word is the only one that will do.

And I firmly believe that bad words are like muscles, if you don't use them regularly they will deteriorate.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 23 Apr 13 at 15:12
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - No FM2R
Its also a dumb ass reason for firing someone and was only done because of the sanctimonious outcry and faux-shock of the audience.
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Manatee
>> Its also a dumb ass reason for firing someone and was only done because of
>> the sanctimonious outcry and faux-shock of the audience.

It was a good opportunity though. He came across badly even when he wasn't e***** and jeffing.

EDIT - good grief. gordonbennett's handle will be starred out next.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 23 Apr 13 at 15:22
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Robin O'Reliant
Swearing can be rather therapeutic. Used in context it can also be extremely funny. After all, most swearwords are really no more than slang expressions, it's just when they are also sexual terms that people get on their high horses.
 1st Day, New Job, You Want To Impress - Armel Coussine
Ordinary Americans faced with a camera tend to be frightful humbugs, ever ready with an emotion-laden tabloid quote and an inappropriate sob... as if they really felt and thought like that. It's almost unbearable. Always makes me swear. Of course they aren't really all like that, but dignified behaviour is always a relief.

And we the British are getting more and more like that ourselves. I blame television. And natural human humbug of course. Tchah!

(I do agree that boy didn't look cut out for a newsreader's career. A dumb preppie lacking in gravitas...)
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 23 Apr 13 at 15:47
Latest Forum Posts