Non-motoring > Landscaping stone: good sources Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 11

Landscaping stone: good sources - WillDeBeest
There's a strip about 7m by 1.2m along one side of the back garden that we've cleared of the tatty shrubs and brambles that were there when we moved in, and now needs a bit of landscaping. Specifically, I want to make it a permanent home for our electric G-scale garden railway - modelled on Alpine originals - and that means it needs rocks.

My thinking is to put in three biggish 'boulders', as the garden centres like to call them - each maybe 700mm in its longest dimension - then bank it up with topsoil and maybe some smaller stones for ornamentation. The question is, where to source the rocks? A garden centre seems like a sure way to pay over the odds for something ordinary, so does anyone here have experience of good suppliers in the Berks-Bucks-Oxon borders, or that would deliver from further afield? And who wants to tell me it's a daft project anyway?

Much obliged,
}:---)
 Landscaping stone: good sources - Dog
There ya go man, askham if they'll parcel it up for thee:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granite-stone-/200917124306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec79804d2

:}
Hmmm. Rocks look just the job, but I think I'd prefer something more, erm, concrete than a mobile number before I commit myself, thanks all the same.
 Landscaping stone: good sources - Zero
Dog has got tons of the things, almost in his back yard. Pop down and load up.
 Landscaping stone: good sources - Dog
There's granite laying about in most upland areas of the UK, many abandoned quarries too.

I likes the pink(ish) stuff - that is hard(er) to find though.
 Landscaping stone: good sources - sherlock47
It would be good to see a universal measuring tool in the photo eg a coke can - you would feel a little sick if your £10 granite rock was 2cm long!
 Landscaping stone: good sources - No FM2R
>>And who wants to tell me it's a daft project anyway?

Not daft, by any means, but it is difficult to stop the top soil washing away until some plants have grown.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 21 Apr 13 at 23:11
but like all good permanent way engineers he will put in props, piles, embankment, cuttings, abutments, etc etc.
 Landscaping stone: good sources - Meldrew
see next post for picture
Last edited by: Meldrew on Mon 22 Apr 13 at 07:29
>> see next post for picture

I guess somewhere along the line you were going to explain what that picture was all about...

www.bgs.ac.uk/science/landuseanddevelopment/landslides/hatfieldFeb2013.html
 Landscaping stone: good sources - Meldrew
And then find this nearby?

sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/32613_468584479861860_1864856455_n.jpg
Ah, Melders, it's your little plane that's been buzzing my garden. I wish you wouldn't do that.

And yes, FM and Z, I'll be trying to stabilize the soil with underpinnings (but no concrete - I want a future owner to be able to remove it) and vegetation. Not grass because I don't want to have to mow it; I'm thinking of heather, but goosegrass seems to be my garden's preferred option.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 22 Apr 13 at 08:04
Latest Forum Posts