Non-motoring > Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Vol 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 242

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Vol 1 - Crankcase

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

=============================================================

Don't buy Dairy Milk very often, but have had enough tons of it in my life to know exactly what it tastes like. For various reasons, had two bars in the last few days. It's definitely changed. To my mind. Positively yucky now.

Does anyone else think Kraft have changed it, the wretched buffoons?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Nov 16 at 10:10

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Xileno
Isn't it made in Poland now? Maybe something to do with different locally-sourced ingredients?

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Manatee
They did substitute palm oil a while back for cocoa butter. They backtracked on that later in NZ at least -

www.confectionerynews.com/Commodities/Cadbury-removes-palm-oil-from-Dairy-Milk-in-New-Zealand

UK vs. US versions -

www.candyblog.net/blog/item/uk_vs_us_cadbury_dairy_milk

When you next get one, check the ingredients, and whether it actually says 'chocolate' on the wrapper.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - CGNorwich
It's just your age . Sickly sweet confectionary appeals less as you get older.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - mikeyb
Dont buy kraftburys chocolate now other than for the kids. There are now so many other better quality brands out there.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Crankcase
Should have googled before posting. Having done so in the last ten minutes, there's lots of Internet chatter saying people think it has indeed recently changed for the worse. Sigh.

So what's a good alternative? Probably some Lidel hidden gem or something.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 20:21

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Dog
Green 'n Blacks 70% C/case - there is no alternative.

>> Green 'n Blacks 70% C/case - there is no alternative.
>>

You mean cadburys under a different name????

Actually I think that Green & Blacks is probably the best balance between price and quality

www.williescacao.com this guy makes fantastic chocolate, and unusually owns the source of his beans. He did a channel 4 series about trying to bring his product to market. A real eccentric crackpot
Last edited by: mikeyb on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 20:39

>>You mean cadburys under a different name????

I know, shame, but it's nice ;)

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Zero
>> Green 'n Blacks 70% C/case - there is no alternative.

Yes there is

G&B 70% is too bitter and has a burned taste. Thorntons Plain is much better.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - henry k
>> So what's a good alternative? Probably some Lidel hidden gem or something.
>>
Indeed. Spot on! I switched to LIDL fruit and nut a while back after Cadburys seemed to no longer taste right. Now I have to restrict consumption :-(

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - -
I agree completely CC, nothing like as good as it was.

In its heyday i think Fry's made the best, somebody bought me a Fry's Easter egg when i was but a nipper, nothing since then has come close to that chocolate heaven.

Seldom bother with chocolate any more, as you i seem to have been invariably disappointed, haven't seen let alone tried a Bourneville in many a year, if its still made i might give one of those a try.

Milky Bar once a favourite lost its yumminess a while ago too.

Best from childhood memory was original Wagon Wheel in the open sleeve packet, nigh on twice the size of the poor tasteless thing now masquerading as a WW.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 20:25

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Xileno
Twirls are my favorite. Always a packet to be found in our kitchen cupboard, assuming the missus has not got to there first...

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - rtj70
Aldi do some good value chocolate bars. Their orange/almond is quite nice. 5 small bars in for £1.09. And they do plain chocolate up to 85% cocoa, and a 70% I think. Not tried those two.

Proper chocolate is ok sometimes. G and B or various exotica. But nothing beats cheap snaffling chocolate, and CDM fitted that bill. Twirl is an idea though, last time I had one of those it was ok.

Used to like those Fry's Five Fruits things, don't suppose you can get them now. I have to be careful though. Last time I asked a young shop assistant where she kept the Birdseye Rissoles, which I used to have a child, I got the impression she would have called the police for two pins, obviously never having heard of such a thing.

At for Aldi hint. We used to have chocolate biscuits from them that were pretty good, but I do t know now what they were.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Apr 13 at 00:58

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Robin O'Reliant
>> It's just your age . Sickly sweet confectionary appeals less as you get older.
>>

Half a bar a day, every day and I only stop at that because any more gives me a headache. And it's always Cadburys, though I don't mind the occasional Galaxy.

Mrs RR insists I eat fruit, which I hate. Half the apple goes over the field at the back when she's not looking.
>> Mrs RR insists I eat fruit, which I hate. Half the apple goes over the
>> field at the back when she's not looking.

Tee hee, i love this forum.

A bunch of naughty schoolboys still sniggering and smoking behind the bike sheds when no ones about.

Theres the odd Minnie the Minx too.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Roger.
Aldi's chocolate is quite good, but Lidl do the most wonderful Mars Bar lookalikes for very little money. These have, like a lot of things, (!) grown smaller with the effluxion of time.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Ted

I agree with the Dodger, maybe it's an age thing. Lidl's choccy is first class.... and cheaper.

I'm allowed plain chocolate...no sugar or fat.....and their ' Madagascar ' is lovely and smooth without any bitterness. As well as the ' Mars ' bars, they do a Twix lookalike, 5 double bars in a pack and well worth getting. I keep some in the cars for low blood sugar hits.

Their packs of 5 individual small chocolate bars are good. I'm impressed by Aldi stuff as well although we use Lidl more as we pass a branch on the way to daughter's hovel.

We have a Belgian choclatier in the village although I haven't been to try them yet......now pencilled in for a visit next time I'm down there on foot. Have you been, Rats ?

I'm fond of Maltesers too......they don't seem to put my blood sugar up !

Ted

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - No FM2R
Mostly off topic;

My parents send aid packages out to the girls and they mostly get them from www.britishcornershop.co.uk/ , although there's others as well.

The entire Chilean Customs, SAGO and Governmental organisations have just collapsed because the last package contained a packet of Love Hearts, Wine Gums, Flump Twist and a Dib Dab.

My visit to the authorities today resembled a scene from the worst British SitCom ever.

>> My visit to the authorities today resembled a scene from the worst British SitCom ever.

You ever tried to get Bisto through US customs?

(anyone who has tried American gravy will appreciate why any UK ex-pat needs Bisto)

Try explaining what a Dib Dab actually is, never mind why it should be admitted into the coutnry.

And I am more than happy to take your assistance in translating Dib Dab into Spanish. Certainly trying to explain with actions didn't go very well.

>>
>> >> My visit to the authorities today resembled a scene from the worst British SitCom
>> ever.
>>
>> You ever tried to get Bisto through US customs?
>>
>> (anyone who has tried American gravy will appreciate why any UK ex-pat needs Bisto)
>>
Good grief, you USE Bisto? YUK!

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - NortonES2
Stop it. I haven't had any chocolate since early December! Having decided avoirdupois too gross, and dentist too forthright re gums, it is now verboten. However, G&B rated. Lindt too bland. Think Cadbury's off too, but was never too keen. Liked the marzipan from Lubeck but cannot remember the name just now. SFSG.

Oh, Australian liquorice from Lakeland....big bags..last a long time. Not too chocolatty, either !

Ted

>> Oh, Australian liquorice from Lakeland....big bags..last a long time. Not too chocolatty, either !
>>
The bags I bought emptied very very quickly.
The last lot I bought were sub standard ( over cooked and not soft) but Lakeland eventually replied that a batch had been overcooked.
They offered me free replacements but in the meanwhile I read lots of reports that liquorice is BAD for the heart so I now sadly leave it alone.

e.g
www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm277152.htm

Divine is divine www.divinechocolate.com/default.aspx

Lindt is good IMO, maybe a tad too refined for the average working class palate though.

:}

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - FocalPoint
"Mrs RR insists I eat fruit, which I hate. Half the apple goes over the field at the back when she's not looking."

How's your Five-a-Day, RR? Do you know the government (bless 'em) wanted to make the advice Nine-a-Day, but were told people might find it a bit daunting?

>>
>> How's your Five-a-Day, RR? Do you know the government (bless 'em) wanted to make the
>> advice Nine-a-Day, but were told people might find it a bit daunting?
>>

No problem FP, I smoke 10-12 a day so I'm well above the govt's health target.

You've got to look after yourself.
 Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Alanovich

>> Mrs RR insists I eat fruit, which I hate. Half the apple goes over the
>> field at the back when she's not looking.
>>

I'm allergic to most tree-grown fruits - apples, pears and pineapples are the worst. Great excuse. I can eat them cooked, but not raw and certainly not the skins. Related to my hayfever/pollen allergy.

>>
>> >> Mrs RR insists I eat fruit, which I hate. Half the apple goes over
>> the
>> >> field at the back when she's not looking.
>> >>
>>
>> I'm allergic to most tree-grown fruits - apples, pears and pineapples are the worst. Great
>> excuse. I can eat them cooked, but not raw and certainly not the skins. Related
>> to my hayfever/pollen allergy.

Not allergic to French lemons tho are you HO HO HO!

>> Not allergic to French lemons tho are you HO HO HO!
>>

Laughing at your own gags, eh Z? Not cool. ;-)

(You did make me smile with that one though.)

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Meldrew
Pineapples do not grow on trees like most fruits, but as perennial herb that grows on the ground.

I didn't know that, Meldrew. They still make my eczema flare up and my throat swell though, wherever it is they grow.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - WillDeBeest
Don't buy Dairy Milk very often

Sound advice, Cranks. Don't know if it's just my changing preference or if they really have changed it but it just tastes greasy to me now. Fruit & Nut is still permissible, though, provided it's eaten outdoors, preferably at the top of a hill with coffee from a flask.

I'm amazed any of you have got a tooth left in your heads. Chocolate is for girls.

(Apart from a good plain one, occasionally, and to crumble in to a chilli gone barmy.)

Having been a child whose father worked at the Mars factory, our house was always awash with the stuff. It never really interested me and Easter eggs would still be in the cupboards at Christmas. I'm 43 now, never had a filling in my life.

:-)

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - helicopter
I have not tried CDM recently but I always take several five packs of CDM dairy milk with me when I visit the middle east. They cannot buy it in Doha....

When visiting customers I hand them out as little presents to secretaries and accounts workers and it is amazing how well it goes down and is remembered ....and as a result someone who has been unavailable becomes available.... or an account gets paid a lot more promptly .

I like the Lidl 5 small bars as a cheap hit but the nicest choccy I have had recently was made by Hotel Chocolat..... yummy stuff.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Jetski
As kids we were told that chocolate rotted your teeth but boiled sweets were better for them, not true obviously. We have a mixed box of chocolates delivered once a month from the Chocolate Tasting Club, (Hotel Chocolat) sp? makes Cadbury offering taste like sugar rich confectionery.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Bromptonaut
In the interests of science I bought a CDM bar with my lunchtime sarnie today.

Agree not what is was, change in flavour and texture. Less 'chocolatey' and less melty in the mouth.

A year or two back, when we were experimenting with brands in Tesco, I tried Tesco Value milk chocolate entirely because it was at the time seven pence per bar. and I can't resist much for sevenpence.

It was sufficiently edible that I had a couple of bars before interest waned, as it was pretty vile.

It occurs to me belatedly that CDM now tastes like that did.

Incidentally, the only survivor of the brand experiment was Tesco Value rice pudding in a tin which has now morphed into Everyday Value or some such nonsense. It's still about a third the price of Ambrosia and is perfectly acceptable, to my palate, on the increasingly rare occasions I eat it.

As to Tesco - it's literally on the way home, it's a huge store, we have no Lidl, Aldi is stuck in a traffic infested nightmare of a street as is Sainsburys, there is no Morrisons, and Waitrose, whilst worth the trip, is also miles away. So Tesco it is (or independent shops and so on if we ever get out and about ).

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - VxFan
Let's hope this woman's taste buds are up to the job.

tinyurl.com/bvtl5yd - ITV news

Looking at her barnet, it seems her taste IS all in her mouth!

I have to say that's a pretty poor word to win a competition with. The other entries must have been dire.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - legacylad
My CA friend, when over here on a years teacher exchange, loved CDM. Just the plain stuff, without nuts/raisins. Now, whenever I visit, i have to take 20 x 200g bars, plus Bourneville and lots of Orkney oatcakes. That Hersheys stuff sucks.
In exchange she plies me with Patron Gold tequila.

And returning from the US I always get stopped and samples taken from my 7lb family size bags of Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix. Plays havoc with my baggage allowance both outbound and inbound!
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 8 May 13 at 16:44

Because of this thread, I bought some CDM. It tastes just the same as it always did. The contents listed on the wrapper appear to be just the same as it always was.

Where is the chocolate drama?

Well, five people in this thread agree it's changed somehow, so I guess you either can't taste it or got a bar made in Ireland or something through luck!

I got it from Waitrose.

Was is square blocks or roundy ones?

Incidentally, another load of people complaining here. I hope you don't mind bad language, but after all, it is that haven of the uncouth, mums net.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a1683793-To-think-cadburys-chocolate-has-changed

>> Was is square blocks or roundy ones?

Square. A small bar. is that key?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 May 13 at 19:49

>> I got it from Waitrose.
>>

I wonder if Waitrose are protecting their core customer base in the South by specifying the original spec while the cheap stuff goes up north :)

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Runfer D'Hills
I'm just a bit taken aback that Waitrose let shonky old cars like that into their car park. Must have been the security guard's tea break or something I suppose.

>> I'm just a bit taken aback that Waitrose let shonky old cars like that into
>> their car park. Must have been the security guard's tea break or something I suppose.

As it happens, he was collecting trolleys lest they bang into the Volvo people carriers.

Fair enough, anyone can have an "off" day.

Square is key. Those are either old stock or imported from somewhere. It's all rounded now, and has been for a couple of months. Look like little pillows, not boxes.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Armel Coussine
>> Look like little pillows, not boxes.

Little pillows ought to be full of toffee. When they aren't they're a swizz.

Is there any actual cocoa in CDM? The ads when I were a nipper showed milk pouring out of two glasses into a bar, with the slogan 'a glass and a half of full cream milk in every bar'. Considerations of volume alone made this look unlikely especially with the size of bar you could get if you were lucky during everything rationing.

Nippers love pure sugar but I went off milk chocolate a long time ago. What I really like is proper chocolate with fragrant cream inside and candied flowers on top. Sounds posh but is really utterly decadent and infantile. Fry's chocolate cream, harder and harder to get, is good too. And Bendick's Bittermints, but they are a bit dear.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Cliff Pope
>>What
>> I really like is proper chocolate with fragrant cream inside and candied flowers on top.
>> Sounds posh but is really utterly decadent and infantile. Fry's chocolate cream, harder and harder
>> to get, is good too. And Bendick's Bittermints, but they are a bit dear.
>>
>>

Please stop. You are making me want to go and get some.

I read your "fragrant" as "flagrant" at first, which sounds even yummier.
A chocolate commercial with the words flagrant, decadent, and infantile would be a winner.

Talking of Chocolate

Fake Willy Wonka Chocolate Bar Warning For UK

news.sky.com/story/1079914/fake-willy-wonka-chocolate-bar-warning-for-uk

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - corax
>> What
>> I really like is proper chocolate with fragrant cream inside and candied flowers on top.
>> Sounds posh but is really utterly decadent and infantile. Fry's chocolate cream, harder and harder
>> to get, is good too. And Bendick's Bittermints, but they are a bit dear.

You need an open account with this place AC.

www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=frys+chocolate+cream

WOW, they do aniseed balls.

>>Please stop. You are making me want to go and get some.

...and 4 cats ?

You are, like well, a bloke right?

Takes all sorts I suppose, 21st century and all that...

To clear up any doubts as to the bars I'm tediously maundering on about, this news item shows the old and new bars. And the unproven contention is the new bars taste different.

swns.com/news/cadbury-cuts-size-dairy-milk-bars-cent-price-26224/

On proper chocolates we subscribe to the chocolate tasting club, and get a box through the post. But it's dashed expensive (paid £20 for a box just today) and whilst they quite good, they're not utterly wonderful with some odd ones in there just because they can.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Lygonos
If they're willing to alter the appearance of a well known bar to save a few pennies, you can bet your bottom peso that they would increase the cheap ingredient proportions.

>> And the unproven contention is the new
>> bars taste different.
>>

Even if the ingredients are exactly the same, it can still taste different.

Taste isn't just a chemical/electrical reaction of molecules on taste sensors. It's also influenced by shape, texture, packaging, and the whole context of its marketing and manner of consumption.

If you feel suspicious that you are being swindled, the chocolate doesn't taste so nice.

Here's the real stuff, full-size 50g bars, square chunks:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cadburys-IRELAND-IRISH-DAIRY-MILK-Chocolate-Bar-X5-GREAT-YUMMY-TASTE-/360393917425?pt=UK_Sweets_Chocolate&hash=item53e926c3f1

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - WillDeBeest
...with the slogan 'a glass and a half of full cream milk in every bar...

By the early 1980s it had become 'a glass and a half of full-cream dairy milk in every half pound', which seemed a bit silly even to my pre-teen self. How much was 'a glass'? Might as well be 'a piece and a half of full-cream dairy string'. And why 'every half-pound', when the biggest regular bar you could buy was 200g? Perhaps I didn't realize it was the vestige of something much older.

And of course, the slogan was dropped in 2010, after 80 years, because of "European regulations".

Or was it?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11427357

>> And of course, the slogan was dropped in 2010, after 80 years, because of "European
>> regulations".
>>
>> Or was it?
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11427357
>>
>>

A classic example of EU myths or overcautious interpretation of regs.

A cynic might say Kraft wanted the slogan gone.

"The equivalent of 426ml of fresh liquid milk in every 227g of milk chocolate".

Not exactly a snappy strap line, is it?

How very disingenuous. Putting aside the change from "full cream" to "fresh liquid", the words "the equivalent of" in that phrase might mean a spoon of manky powdered milk, that being the "equivalent" of the liquid milk. Surely not.

I must stop this. I showed Mrs C this thread last night and she forbade me from posting on this forum ever again at any point. Been nice knowing you all.

>>Volvo people carriers.
>>

??
Didn't know there were any. SUV's, maybe.

;-)

Don't wind him up AV. He's quite old you know and bless him he probably doesn't quite understand the distinction. What's more he'd have had to drive in tugging his forelock so it would have obscured his vision a bit...Have a heart.

Go boil your brains. The nearest the Volvo PEOPLE CARRIERS get to sports is the car park of the little gits dance class.

???

He's really losing the marbles now, HdB!

I've seen this sort of thing before. They just get increasingly confused. Be gentle...It could happen to any of us in time.

Ok then, bought a bar of CDM, with the pillow shaped portions, "made in the EU" and the verdict from two people (inc me) is

Its Terrible. It appears to have that hershey taste to it. Foul stuff.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 May 13 at 13:39

Ere!! ... I've just had a few squares of Divine 70% chocolate with raspberries, and it's grrreat!

www.divinechocolate.com/shop/chocolate-bars/dark-chocolate-with-raspberries/

Looks like the taste panel is moving towards condemnation of CDM. It must hurt their sales, surely they can see that?

I'll try that Divine stuff Dog, I've seen it in the local supermarket.

>> Ok then, bought a bar of CDM, with the pillow shaped portions, "made in the
>> EU" and the verdict from two people (inc me) is
>>
>> Its Terrible. It appears to have that hershey taste to it. Foul stuff.

Hershey was the first thought I had too Z. Bleuuchhh!

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Haywain
My nephew is a product manager for Cadburys - I'll have a word .................

The only Cadbury chocolate worth scoffing is the nutty!

I'm nutty enough Dodger, thanks!.

:3-]

cadbury's response to a complaint email about the taste of CDM

>Thank you for your recent email.

Most confectionery products have developed over many years and market research will sometimes indicate that minor changes to the way a product is produced will further enhance the flavour and therefore become more popular as a result.

In this instance however, no significant changes have been made to this product and other than storage conditions being responsible, we can think of nothing that would help us to answer your query more fully without examining the product carefully.

Cadbury values comments from our consumers and we thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us

Kind Regards

Helen Stansbie
Consumer Relations Administrator

Cadbury are dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of customer care, to match the high quality of our great-tasting chocolate. As part of this, we have recently joined a scheme called The WOW! Awards. These are the UK's only national award for customer service based purely on customer nominations, which is what made us so eager to participate.

If you would like to nominate Cadbury for excellent customer service, or simply to browse through our recent nominations, then please do feel free to do so at the following link: www.thewowawardswebs.co.uk/cadbury
You can also send your nomination, with the employee name and stating why you would like to nominate them, to us at: CADBURY, FREEPOST MID20071, BIRMINGHAM B30 2QZ

Oh it's the SHAPE! If I'd only known.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24223182

Like fun.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - MD
Lidl's milk Choc with hazelnuts is to die for. x5 most weekends..............

= = = > www.lindt.com.au/swf/eng/products/excellence/excellence-blueberry-intense/

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Boxsterboy
Cadburys Dairy Milk has always tasted like cardboard to me (don't ask how I know what cardboard tastes like ...).

For me it is Lindt, Galaxy (in its various guises) or Lidl.

Thinking again about this, you know when during a particularly hot summer you sometimes find chocolate has melted and reformed, and its got that sort of waxy look about it.

Well it never tastes quite the same again, and thats what Cadburys chocolate tastes like all the time to me now, well the rare times i might taste one.

Can't stand Yorkie or Galaxy or those other softy chocolates, never could.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 21:48

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - tyro
As I have become middle aged, two things have happened to me, which judging by this thread, are not at all unusual.

1) I have lost my sweet tooth, and cannot eat chocolate in anything like the quantities I could as a youngster. I can make a bar of chocolate last me a couple of months. I eat it by the microgram.

2) I have become much fussier about the chocolate I eat. I have not had Cadbury's Dairy Milk for years, and doubt that I ever will taste it again. I rarely eat any chocolate (at least chocolate in bar form) other than Lindt - though for some reason, Cadbury's Flake still appeals.

As you get older your sense of taste undoubtedly changes. Certainly you look for intensity of flavour and typically are able to tolerate food that are more bitter or spicy than a younger person might tolerate. Similarly sweet foods tend to lose their appeal.

I'd rather have a pasty than a cake.

>> able to tolerate food that are more bitter or spicy
>> than a younger person might tolerate.

Oof. Dunno about that. In my yoof I could always handle the hottest thing on the local Indian menu. After the correct number of liveners, of course. Nowadays a Madras sets me off in convulsions of hiccups.

I guess I should have said tolerated as far as taste is concerned. The ability to digest it is quite another thing! Older people tend to find their sense of taste has dulled but they tend to blame the phenomenon on "the food these days having no flavour."

kids dont do bitter, only sweet. And sweet is addictive.

Kids rarely if ever can eat olives for example.

My grandson's fave lunch, from being quite young, now 9, is olives/cheese/ tomatoes on a plate.
I can't stand the wee green devils....SWM eats mine if they're in a meal out.

Ted
Edit......Why do we mostly put an E in when pluralizing Tomatoes and Potatoes. We don't seem to for Patio or Curio....or do we ?

Thread drift alert.

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 12:01

>> Kids rarely if ever can eat olives for example.

Interesting observation Z. Couldn't abide them when I was a kid but olives in UK during sixties/seventies were invariably the cocktail variety stuffed with a pimento. Only experienced real thing in my teens on holiday in France or Spain.

Now there are several shelves of bottled olives and more loose at the deli. My daughter and nephew/nieces have all enjoyed them from an early age. Latter's special request for SWMBO's cooking was her Tuna Pasta Bake with olives.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 12:21

I often make a kind of rice and tuna risotto type thing, which includes lots of olives. My two dustbin lids pick them out and pass them over to me. I only know one child who is keen on them.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - tyro
Ahhh, olives. I couldn't abide them until the age of 14. Then I got hooked, which was just as well, since my parents and siblings were and are keen olive eaters. Indeed, my siblings' offspring seem to be as well - even from their early years.

The person who doesn't fit is my wife. I thought that if she tasted them as an adult, she would come round and realise what she was missing. Alas, she remains stubbornly opposed.

>> Ahhh, olives.

Never tried them. Some people also find them difficult to remove from the pipework ;)

Aquired tastes are actually inherently horrible, but become curiously addictive from prolonged repetition.
We have all had to work hard at liking beer, from our first ghastly bitter half pint at age 12 onwards. Similarly for red wine, avocados, aubergines, and marmite.
But I have never managed to like olives or cryptic crosswords, probably because I give up too soon and can't make that final push that takes one over the threshold from yuck to yummy.

How are you with Brussels sprouts?

Love them as long as they are crunchy.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - devonite
Apparently, there is a Genetic mutation that allows you to enjoy both Sprouts and Asparagus, without which you will never enjoy either. Another interesting thing about this "sprout gene" is that in people that eat Asparagus, it will make their urine stink! in the folk that dont have it and eat Asparagus (not that they probably would anyway) it doesn't.

*seen and remembered from a TV documentry a couple of years ago!

Quick Google finds this on the same theme:

www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 29 Sep 13 at 12:45

>> that in people that eat Asparagus, it will make their urine stink! in the folk
>> that dont have it and eat Asparagus (not that they probably would anyway) it doesn't.
>>

Love asparagus but oh boy the results later, am i a mutant then? coo X men special powers..:-)

>> Genetic mutation that allows you to enjoy both Sprouts and Asparagus, without which you will never enjoy either.

I'm odd then because I hate sprouts but love asparagus. It makes my pee smell different but it's no big deal after all.

>> We have all had to work hard at liking beer, from our first ghastly bitter
>> half pint at age 12 onwards.

Well something genetic happened at 14 then. Didnt even have to work at it.

Unlike ciggies, that takes a bit of working at.

Doesn't happen to everyone. Even before my body was medically declared an alcohol free zone a few years ago, I never drank beer. Nasty stuff I never got the point of. Or wine. Or in fact, alcohol at all really.

Cadburys Dairy Milk flavour - Roger.
May I be pedantic? No - well I'm going to be anyway :-)
"Taste" and "flavour" are not fully interchangeable words!

>> never drank beer. Nasty stuff I never got the point of. Or wine. Or in fact, alcohol at all really.

Goodness you poor old thing Crankers. How do you keep your spirits up when it's dark and cold?

I don't usually find my spirits either up or down, AC. Honestly, you'd be hard pushed to find anyone more boring. Entirely placid as a general rule.

Well.

I have to say, CDM of any recipe is infinitely preferable to the stuff I tasted today.

Nicolle has had a few days in Stockholm, and she came back with some of the local chocolate.

PLOPP - its called, and the chosen flavour was Kaktus! Yes! I kid you not, Plopp chocolate filled with green cactus flavoured creme.

I so want some.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - R.P.
Plopp ?

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - ....
There's a lot of Plop in Europe, you can even take a holiday at Plopsa:
www.plopsa.be/en

Back to chocolate I had a KitKat last night (I know it's not CDM), I dunno what they've done to them it had the texture of plastic melting in my mouth. Probably some European dictate of how little cocoa they can use because it's not EU but CH or some such rubbish.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 11 Sep 14 at 18:47

Don't tell me they've ruined Kit Kat now? I can feel a taste test coming on.

I found a website in Sweden that will sell me one tiny 50g bar of Plopp. With postage it would be a shade over six quid.

I can fly there for double that.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 11 Sep 14 at 18:52

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - bathtub tom
>>Back to chocolate I had a KitKat last night (I know it's not CDM), I dunno what they've done to them it had the texture of plastic melting in my mouth.

I can't resist the chunky Kit-Kats. Usually four for a quid, although I did find eight for a quid in Iceland recently.

>> There's a lot of Plop in Europe, you can even take a holiday at Plopsa:
>> www.plopsa.be/en

The signs for Plopsaland amused my kids greatly when they were at stage where poo, belly and wee were rudest words in their vocab.

>> >> There's a lot of Plop in Europe, you can even take a holiday at
>> Plopsa:
>> >> www.plopsa.be/en
>>
>> The signs for Plopsaland amused my kids greatly when they were at stage where poo,
>> belly and wee were rudest words in their vocab.

Put me in mind of -

"Ma's out, Pa's out, Let's talk rude! Pee Po Belly Bum Drawers"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSrXqOI9988

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Fursty Ferret
>> Plopp ?
>>

[Northern Irish accent] Say what you see...

On Amazon you can buy numerous American chocs including Hershey. Indescribable taste. Nearest I can manage is sugary puke. Pardon me.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Thu 11 Sep 14 at 19:47

>> Plopp ?

Yep

grocerygems.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/around-world-sweden-plopp-chocolate-bar.html

It's not getting any better is it.

www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/12/shellshock-cadbury-comes-clean-on-creme-egg-chocolate-change

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Lygonos
First comment pretty much nails it.

I avoid Cadburys chocolate, even more since the company was taken over.
I do not like their eggs.
I much prefer Lidl's offerings as they taste so much better.

Just enjoying a small bar of Choceur smooth praline chocolate from Aldi. with my Aldi whisky and cola.

Much nicer than Brit choc...99p for a pack of 5 bars.

>>
>> Just enjoying a small bar of Choceur smooth praline chocolate from Aldi.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2897521/Aldi-recalls-chocolates-salmonella-fears.html

Yes, I read that a day or so ago Z. I like living dangerously.

Never seen ' treasures ' though and not bought in the Midlands.

Anyway, a good clearout is useful occasionally !

LIDL's Mars Bars lookalikes are excellent and very cheap!
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 13 Jan 15 at 10:06

I'll give them a miss .The originals are bad enough. Do ALDi know you are endorsing LIDL?

>> I'll give them a miss .The originals are bad enough. Do ALDi know you are
>> endorsing LIDL?

He's been barred form Aldi, lowers the tone of the place.

On a related cream egg subject, they've reduced the number in a box from 6 to 5.

Gone are buying half a dozen eggs it would seem.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2905073/Shell-shocked-chocolate-lovers-launch-protest-campaign-Cadbury-downsize-Creme-Eggs-box-price-same.html

Maynards are also guilty of a similar thing. Their boxes of Liquorice Allsorts, Wine Gums, and Sports Mix used to weigh 600 grams. Mid way through last year the weight reduced to 540 grams, and last week when I bought a box of Sports mix, they only had 460 grams in them. But they were still the same price. I'd sooner they'd put the prices up slightly and keep the same weight in the boxes.

edit - I don't believe it! Who owns Maynards? Yep, Cadburys.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 13 Jan 15 at 01:35

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - smokie
I noticed the weight loss on the Christmas tub of Quality Street. I was thinking I'm sure they were only a fiver last year too but then noticed they've got smaller... Same goes for some Poundland products, not just sweets.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - BiggerBadderDave
"Their boxes of Liquorice Allsorts, Wine Gums, and Sports Mix used to weigh 600 grams. Mid way through last year the weight reduced to 540 grams, and last week when I bought a box of Sports mix, they only had 460 grams in them."

I call it the Wagon Wheel syndrome.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Old Navy

>> I call it the Wagon Wheel syndrome.
>>

They were huge when I was a kid, or was I just smaller? :)

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - BiggerBadderDave
Hotly debated amongst Wagon Wheel lovers (according to Wiki).

I had been going to the same local supermarket everyday since about 2006. They bake their own baps - big, soft, floury baps - I could get an entire pie in there. Fantastic. I'd do a school run then buy the bread. I used to see all the mothers doing the same. Suddenly they changed to hard, over baked, biscuit-sized crap but same price. They lost my custom to Lidl - not just the bread but the entire weekly shopping - over them trying to save next to nothing.

> I call it the Wagon Wheel syndrome.
>>
This approach is so widespread it should be recognised as the norm.

Many other wrapped confectionary products now rattle around in their old sized packaging.
Penguins, Bounty etc. Bounty is now available in three packs, probably the same weight as the old two packs.
Poundland paper covers for CDs now 70 but were 80s.

Another thing I have noticed is that some 250g tubs of butter/ butter type products have gone so buy a vast 500g tub with a short use by date.

Another impact of down sizing strength and package :-)

Carlsberg Special Brew, the super-strength lager most commonly associated with tramps drinking from paper bags on park benches.
But it is about to get a makeover and could be watered down to comply with new guidelines designed to stamp out anti-social behaviour.
The lager, known as gut rot and tramp juice, is notoriously cheap and potent.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11339532/Special-Brew-to-be-watered-down.html

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Pat
Fish fingers have shrunk.

Pat

The water has been too hot for them.
I blame man-made global warming.

>> Fish fingers have shrunk.

Their big brothers, the things we always called "fish feet" in our family, have recently shrunk too, aren't flat any more.

If the reduced strength offering is not potent enough, I suggest avid consumers switch to Liebfraumilch. About 9.5% ABV. Join the ladies drinking from paper bags on park benches.

Waterproof (or cider-proof) paper bags - now there's an idea :-)
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 13 Jan 15 at 10:09

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - madf
>> If the reduced strength offering is not potent enough, I suggest avid consumers switch to
>> Liebfraumilch. About 9.5% ABV. Join the ladies drinking from paper bags on park benches.
>>

Hmm I obviously go to the wrong parks... :-)

It's not only the food that Cadbury's are cutting back on.

About 200 jobs are to be cut at Cadbury's plant in Birmingham as part of a deal to invest £75m in new production lines at the plant.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-30815052

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Boxsterboy

>> Poundland paper covers for CDs now 70 but were 80s.
>>

Well that's one product that can only 'up-price' and not 'down-size'.

>>Many other wrapped confectionary products now rattle around in their old sized packaging.
Penguins, Bounty etc.

>>I have just called the Penguin help line.
My nine pack has only got seven in it.
Obviously a production glitch, I hope.
A nice lady is ending me some vouchers so I can continue to get what it says on the wrapper. :-

I've recently switched from Cadburys to Tesco's own brand milk chocolate. Only 79p for a bar and a lovely creamy taste, any chocheads would do well to give it a try.

Chocheads should be eating 70% stuff, or 60% at the very least. Milk chocolate is for bubbies.

Inclined to agree. Don't eat much in the way of confectionary these days but do enjoy a square of decent quality chocolate with a cup of black coffee.

On holiday In Dubrovnik I found Munchmallows in the supermarket. Remember them - like Tunnocks tea cakes and a taste from my childhood and haven't seen them for years. Bought a packet. Tasted sweet and sickly.

www.vinmag.com/online/prodshow/BP020___Munchmallows__Vintage_Advert__1950s__30x40cm_Art_Print_/BP020-munchmallows-1950s.html

I don't 'do' sweet since giving up sugar 20 years ago. I like honey though, but it has to be good honey, preferably raw.

>> I don't 'do' sweet since giving up sugar 20 years ago. I like honey though, but it has to be good honey, preferably raw.

Tsk. Can't abide health food Perro. You live just as long without it, in fact longer because you don't give a damn. Anxiety is harmful.

:o}

If I could drop dead this minute, I'd be the happiest man alive.

;-)

Even 70% chocolate contains a fair amount of sugar. Honey is sugar.

Indeed, honey is a form of sugar, but white sugar is devoid of any nutrients or enzymes, unlike honey.

I don't 'do' a lot of honey either really. Years ago though, it was always 2 sugars in my tea.

Sugar is a a peculiarly addictive substance. The more you eat the more you want. Alway amazed by how much some people put in their tea and coffee. If you do cut down on the stuff you do become more aware how incredibly sweet a lot of commercial products are.

Sugar and salt are used to mask how lacking in real flavour a lot of processed food is. Sugar has the added benefit of of being cheap as far as food manufacturers are concerned. Amazing to think that a few hundred years ago it was unknown in our diet.

Lady Dog bought some sausage rolls and beef pasties from M&S, both items contained sugar.!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Yudkin

I use Himalayan 'pink' salt, I'm a proper crank :)

>>I use Himalayan 'pink' salt, I'm a proper crank :)
I use salt on the drive and it lives in the shed.
We have not used any salt in the house for anything for many decades.

Food must be a bit bland. Is this for health reasons?

>> Food must be a bit bland. Is this for health reasons?
>>
Most salt users suggest that food must be bland. To me salt blots out other tastes.
Apart from Smiths I can now buy a few varieties of unsalted crisps. I guess plain fish and chips surprises most folks.
It is not for health reasons but that seems to be a bonus.
We eat very few processed foods so I guess salt is other things.
It always amazes us that friends chuck salt on a meal before they have even tasted it - very odd and IMO a bit insulting to the cook/chef.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Clk Sec

Not at all. Without salt you can actually taste what you are eating. Rather like drinking tea and coffee without sugar.
:)

>> Without salt you can actually taste what you are eating.
>> Rather like drinking tea and coffee without sugar. :)
>>
Exactly. Many folks cannot accept that.

>>
We stopped putting salt on food over a decade ago, and that includes refusing salt & vinegar when buying fish and chips. Within a short while any salt added at the table makes the meal taste vile, rather like tea with sugar does after you have given that up.

I always need salt (and vinegar) on my fish n chips
Probably not the healthiest food but taken in moderation very acceptable.

Eat what you fancy, just don't eat too much. Don't get obsessive about sugar or salt, that's sure to make you ill.

I weigh about the same as I did when I was 19. Got heavier in my greedy thirties and forties, but lost it gradually later. Blood test results the other day and the quack said it was 'perfect', her word not mine, liver and kidney function and cholesterol level. 'Mild hypertension' which I've had all my life. So far so good, unless the doctor and BP monitor are lying which I suppose is possible...

Just hope I won't live long enough to become a nuisance to others or permanently depressed.

I think you are right AC. Eat what you like just not too much. Preferably as wide a variety as possible. There is nothing more annoying than food faddism. You invite someone round to dinner and you get a list of the thing they can't or won't eat. Ownership of a fashionable allergy seems a must these days.

You are joking CGN?
Anyone invited to my place for food eats what's put in front of them. Like it or lump it.
A good friend of mine has veggie friends. If he invites them to his place for dinner he provides veggie food for them. But if they invite him, it is always assumed he will eat veggie food. Would bambi burgers taint their frying pan or what?

I've had people claiming they can't eat gluten, citrus fruits, fish, spices, shellfish only organic food, and vegetarians and vegans.

Food faddism is rife. The gluten thing alwasy riles me a bit because I am aware that those truly suffering from coeliac disease can't have any gluten. For most claiming they are allergic to the stuff it's merely an affectation

Nobody had an allergy during rationing.

>> I've had people claiming they can't eat gluten, citrus fruits, fish, spices, shellfish only organic
>> food, and vegetarians and vegans.
>>
>> Food faddism is rife. The gluten thing alwasy riles me a bit because I am
>> aware that those truly suffering from coeliac disease can't have any gluten. For most claiming
>> they are allergic to the stuff it's merely an affectation
>>
>> Nobody had an allergy during rationing.
>>

Invite me round and prepare shellfish. I will consume. Then you can sit back and watch the fireworks. Then you can clean up after me. I'll be all right in a few days, your soft furnishings may have to be burnt.

Intolerance and faddism are not the same thing.

"Intolerance and faddism are not the same thing."

They usually are. Far fewer people are intolerant of or allergic to food than claim to be and that's a fact..

Being a polite sort of chap I always treat their claims as real carefully preparing their food to suit their whims. Actually you can usually tell those with a genuine problem. They tell you quietly and tend not to make fuss. Those with the imaginary problems tend to go on on and on about how they can't eat this and they can't eat that often describing the results in graphic detail.

I think an "intolerance" makes then feel special.

I see. I have an imaginary problem, evidently you know best. Thanks for putting me straight, scallops and mussels for me tonight!

Why on Earth you would think I'd make it up is the mystery here. I have no need to do so. Shellfish intolerance is fairly well documented. Why you feel the need to call people liars is the odd thing, what do you get out of that? Not much polite about it, really.

I can eat pretty much anything else if it makes you feel better, apart from raw tree fruit (apples, pears etc - peeled and cooked they're fine) which irritates my throat, and pineapple which causes eczema flare ups. Both related to my hayfever and asthma, unless you want to tell me that's imaginary too?

Would you care for someone to question the veracity of your tale of gluten intolerance?

My intolerance doesn't make me feel special. I'm quite special enough without it. What it makes me fell is ill.
I didn't call you a liar. I'm sure that your intolerance is very real. It is undoubtedly true though that there has been a huge rise in recent year in self diagnosed allergies and food intolerances and most authorities doubt that there is any physiological reason to account for this.

Most scientific reports I have read put the actual figure of those with such intolerances and allergies at around two to five per cent of the claimed figure so it is clear that the vast majority of those who believe they have such a problem are wrong.

However like most people if someone tells me they can't eat avocados or fish fingers I accept what they say and I don't give them any. I don't necessarily believe that they have a medical condition though.

Just for the record Gluten intolerance has nothing to do with Coeliac disease

>> However like most people if someone tells me they can't eat avocados or fish fingers
>> that they have a medical condition though.
>>

Hmmmm yummy Discovered last year, fish fingers, thinly sliced avocado, Mayo with a hint of curry powder and lemon juice, served in warm pitta

You will get a massive allergic reaction to that lot. Hope you have you EpiPen handy for the inevitable anaphylactic shock.

I must admit to a weakness for a fish-finger sandwich though.

>> The gluten thing alwasy riles me a bit because I am aware that those truly suffering from coeliac disease can't have any gluten

Not aware of any coeliac disease, but herself is gluten intolerant: full fat milk does upset her stomach (as she reminded me rather sharply yesterday when I complained about some fat free yogurt I found in the fridge). Otherwise she'll eat anything.

SWMBO is affected by yeast so no wine !
Chanpagne, Cava and similar double fermentation " wines" do not contain yeast.

SWMBO could not tolerate Lactose. This is also used to bulk up pills etc.
Liquid asprin is not easy to obtain.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - smokie
Couple of veggies I know will not eat food if it's been cooked in the same vessel as non-veggie. Have to be really careful even with not sharing BBQ tools between foods. It is a PITA but they insist. (Funny thing is, I can't recall either of them ever entertaining!)

>> Couple of veggies I know will not eat food if it's been cooked in the
>> same vessel as non-veggie. Have to be really careful even with not sharing BBQ tools
>> between foods. It is a PITA but they insist. (Funny thing is, I can't recall
>> either of them ever entertaining!)

If it were me, I would stop knowing them. And whats the point of inviting a veggie to a BBQ?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 May 15 at 09:38

>> whats the point of inviting a veggie to a BBQ?

So they can scoff all the side salad and leave the burgers and sausages for me to eat.

>> If it were me, I would stop knowing them. And whats the point of inviting
>> a veggie to a BBQ?
>>

I often have a veggie round for our BBQs. I do quorn burgers and vegetable kebabs. She's happy with that. Never pesters me about the tools, but I always keep one end of the grill for the quorn/veg only on those occasions. It's just good manners and hospitable to do so. I like the quorn burgers myself. Spent two years as a vegan myself a while back - it was only really cheese that I missed. And it's cheese that broke me, I just couldn't resist some stilton one day.

I often wonder if you cooked a veggie stir fry in a pan containing juice from a sirloin steak ( my fav, £12 kilo from local farm) would they taste it? I've nothing against veggies, indeed I sometimes have a veggie curry for a change, but I've got teeth so I'm going to use them for chewing meat.
Bit like mimsing along an open road at 30 in a NSL area whilst driving a. Well, anything really ( thread drift).

>>We have not used any salt in the house for anything for many decades.

I was going to say that by not using salt you could leave yourself open to an iodine deficiency because I was under the impression that all table salt was iodised, but apparently it's not:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13034582

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Shiny

>> I use Himalayan 'pink' salt, I'm a proper crank :)
>>
I read in a German newspaper that that is just rock salt contaminated with gypsum.
The best readily available milk chocolate for me is LIDL in a matt blue wrapper about 200g. It reminds me of how Cadbury's used to be in the 1980s. Cadbury (SIC) is gross nowadays.

>> I read in a German newspaper that that is just rock salt contaminated with gypsum.
>> The best readily available milk chocolate for me is LIDL in a matt blue wrapper
>> about 200g. It reminds me of how Cadbury's used to be in the 1980s. Cadbury
>> (SIC) is gross nowadays.

Does anybody buy cadbury chocolate any more? haven't they twigged yet?

>>I read in a German newspaper that that is just rock salt contaminated with gypsum.

Could be, ST. As long as I believe it's doing me good, I don't mind paying extra for it ;)

>> I read in a German newspaper that that is just rock salt contaminated with gypsum

Cop hold of this lot then:

www.saltnews.com/chemical-analysis-natural-himalayan-pink-salt/

>> Even 70% chocolate contains a fair amount of sugar. Honey is sugar.
>>

With special additions. It's not used for healing wounds for nothing...

>>With special additions. It's not used for healing wounds for nothing...

Picked up some nice cold pressed, un past your eyesed, unblended New Zealand honey from TK Max of all places.

£5 for 500g ... I bought 5 jars ovvit.!

>> >> Even 70% chocolate contains a fair amount of sugar. Honey is sugar.
>> >>
>>
>> With special additions. It's not used for healing wounds for nothing...

CHOCOLATE heals wounds? no wonder the Z mistress became a nurse,

"There's been a terrible accident, he's cut to pieces". "Let me through I've got a jar of honey and a "Toblerone!"

>> "There's been a terrible accident, he's cut to pieces". "Let me through I've got a
>> jar of honey and a "Toblerone!"

Careful where you shove that Toblerone.....

>> "Let me through I've got a jar of honey

Honey does have antibiotic qualities. The Vietcong used to use it on wounds. They knew about that sort of thing.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Clk Sec
>> Tesco's own brand milk chocolate. Only 79p for a
>> bar and a lovely creamy taste, any chocheads would do well to give it a
>> try.

Their Cocoa Ivory Coast plain chocolate 100g bars at £1.00 are very nice, too. We bought quite a few yesterday, as we don't get to Tesco's that often.

Aldi and Lidl (European) chocolate is superb and very cheap.

>> Aldi and Lidl (European) chocolate is superb and very cheap.
>>

+25

I just love their Rum and Raisin.. although very sweet.

Their white chocolate upmarket stuff is superb.

Beats Cadbury into a cocked hat...
>> Not aware of any coeliac disease, but herself is gluten intolerant:

I got that wrong: it's lactose she's intolerant of.

I must confess that my youngest daughter was some sort of super-vegetarian - vegan is the word - for some time. I think she caught the infection in Australia during her time there.

She's an original girl though and used to regard pheasant and venison, when shot in the wild, as OK.

>> >> Not aware of any coeliac disease, but herself is gluten intolerant:
>>
>> I got that wrong: it's lactose she's intolerant of.

Interesting one as the ability to digest lactose varies between the races. While most westerners digest it without difficulty same is not case for Asian or Chinese.

Coeliac disease which is a hereditary auto immune disease triggered by the consumption of gluten has an interesting distribution which closely mirrors the growth of farming.

Wheat farming originated in the Middle East around 3000 year so and slowly spread westwards across Europe. The Middle East now shows the lowest level of Coeliac disease and the west coast of Irleland the highest. Sufferers from coeliac disease with a bread based diet wouid tend to die young and not raise a family.

My granddaughter was diagnosed with coeliac disease when she was two. There is no cure for the disease as such but total avoidance of gluten enables sufferers to live a normal life. Fortunately food is much better labelled these day as many commercial products that you would not think contain wheat products do. Going out for a meal can sometimes be difficult as You have to be certain that the restaurant understands that no gluten means exactly that.

>> Coeliac disease which is a hereditary auto immune disease triggered by the consumption of gluten

>> You have to be certain that the restaurant understands that no gluten
>> means exactly that.

Perhaps if all the restaurants lied, the disease would be gone inside a couple of generations....
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 May 15 at 16:10

No, the restaurants would just be sued by customers who became violently ill after eating there.

It's a case of 'if it doesn't affect me, it doesn't exist' syndrome.

Alive and well on car4play forums.

Pat

Coeliac disease is a serious condition and can result in an early death if undiagnosed. Symptoms in young children are listlessness and failing to grow. The diagnosis of coeliac disease made by a blood test and confirmed by a biopsy taken from the small intestine.

Unfortunately may people do not realise or are unaware of the seriousness of the the disease especially since the dramatic growth in those claiming to have a gluten or wheat intolerance and many people confuse the two conditions. Inclusion of even a small amount of gluten in a coeliac's food can have serious consequences.

>> Coeliac disease is a serious condition and can result in an early death if undiagnosed.
>> Symptoms in young children are listlessness and failing to grow. The diagnosis of coeliac disease
>> made by a blood test and confirmed by a biopsy taken from the small intestine.
>>
>> Unfortunately may people do not realise or are unaware of the seriousness of the the
>> disease especially since the dramatic growth in those claiming to have a gluten or wheat
>> intolerance and many people confuse the two conditions. Inclusion of even a small amount of
>> gluten in a coeliac's food can have serious consequences.

I think you are missing the point and conclusion of my post

No I'm not missing the point, just trying to provide a bit of information about this serious condition.

Taking your point, yes if coeliacs were to ingest gluten they would tend to die early in life and the disease would eventually disappear.

Eating gluten does not kill a sufferer immediately but it restrict the ability of their intestines to absorb food and leads to an early death. This was in fact the situation up to the 1950s. This is exactly the reason that coeliac disease is uncommon in the areas where wheat has been grown the longest as I explained above.

In an idle moment, while slurping on an excellent Aldi version of a Magnum ice cream thingy, it occurred to me, that in my irritating pedant mode, I should perhaps point out that the thread title should be "Cadbury's Dairy Milk flavour"!
Taste & flavour are not exact synonyms!
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 22 May 15 at 14:19

HA

Take a kicking Cadbury you scumbags

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cadbury-s-loses-6m-after-changing-creme-egg-recipe-a6807591.html

If they have lost 6 million, and are also upping the marketing budget by another million to persuade us to buy the inferior product, at what point is it economic for them to reinstate the old better chocolate and say they got it wrong? Clearly at some point greater than seven million quid.

I don't suppose that losing 7 million quid was in the plan.

The whole point of a brand is the assurance of quality and known characteristics. Otherwise you might just as well buy "chocolate".

But dim managers think the name is the value. Well it is, for as long as it can be trusted. Once trust is lost, that value is severely diminished, so Mondelez has probably already lost a great deal more than £7m., and will have to spend even more money to have a hope of getting it back.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - bathtub tom
>>Once trust is lost, that value is severely diminished, so
>> Mondelez has probably already lost a great deal more than £7m., and will have to
>> spend even more money to have a hope of getting it back.

And they'll have to start paying their taxes before I'll ever buy their products again (if the press stories are to be believed).

>>if the press stories are to be believed

There's a first for everything.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - The Melting Snowman
One reaps what one sows. Quite happy to avoid Cadbury's and buy something else - which often (sadly) is a nicer product in my experience.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Skip
>> One reaps what one sows. Quite happy to avoid Cadbury's and buy something else -
>> which often (sadly) is a nicer product in my experience.
>>
Aldi & Lidl chocolate is very good.
>> >> One reaps what one sows. Quite happy to avoid Cadbury's and buy something else -
>> >> which often (sadly) is a nicer product in my experience.
>> >>
>> Aldi & Lidl chocolate is very good.
>>
I stock up on Lidl fruit and nut choc bars even though I have to make a trip to mob.
It tastes so much better than Cadburys, who I now try and avoid.

>> Quite happy to avoid Cadbury's and buy something else

I must admit to liking their Tiffin bars of chocolate, and also Fruit & Nut of the same sized bars.

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=272053630

Darn expensive for a small bar of chocolate though, but then everything generally is in the World foods isle of Tesco's.

I like Lidl/Aldi choc too. I must admit, though, to liking the Cadbury's Snack bar. I usually have one after swimming with a mug of hot chocolate............'cept yesterday when the coffee/choc machine was sulking with a big out of order sign on it.

I thought Snadbury's Cack had been discontinued years ago but they'd just changed the packaging from blue to yellow.

Aldi/Lidl choc is an excellent example of unbranded/proprietary goods being superior in quality and in value to big name brands.

......and, believe me, swimming with a mug of hot chocolate is not easy !

>> Aldi/Lidl choc is an excellent example of unbranded/proprietary goods being superior in quality and in
>> value to big name brands.
>>

+1 for me
+1 for SWMBO..

>> >> Aldi/Lidl choc is an excellent example of unbranded/proprietary goods being superior in quality and
>> in
>> >> value to big name brands.
>> >>

Pretty much everything in Aldi's 'brands' is equal/superior to the big names.

I won't buy their peanut butter but that's not a quality issue but fact that it's aping SunPatt and is therefore sweetened.

Don't think I have ever been in a Lidl stor but I occasionally visit a local Aldi and must admit that the dark chocolat I bought in ther was perfectly acceptable. It's a gloomy place though with what looks like a jumble sale of bric a brac down the middle. Queues at checkout are normally long and it only seems to sell a very limited range of things. Not my favourite place.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - Stuartli
>>Not my favourite place. >>

You greatly surprise me. Aldi stores in my area (North West) are all modern, clean and extremely well run outlets and bear no resemblance to your description.

Interestingly, there are always plenty of Mercedes, BMWs and similar cars in both Aldi and Lidl car parks whichever brand of store you visit.

Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - sooty123
I always like having a look around the jumble sale in the middle of the store, they've always got loads of random stuff.

>> You greatly surprise me.

Well this guy had about the same reaction

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTyys4XFT50

>>I occasionally visit a local Aldi ..... It's a gloomy place though with what looks like a jumble sale of bric a brac down the middle.

I have visited several but even the two purpose built ones nearest me just somehow seem like recycled warehouses.

>> Queues at checkout are normally long
so often I walk out without buying anything.

Often good for DIY tools of reasonable quality

>>Not my favourite place. Me too.

I enjoy the middle jumble sale, often find stuff I want. The rest of it feel like I am walking around their own storeroom rather than a supermarket.

Not that it bothers me much. What does bother me is that it is so unpredictable what food lines they'll be carrying that you usually end up going to a real supermarket as well.

Not really sure about the relevance of what cars are in the car park. The presence of BMWs and Mercs is not something that would form part of my criteria, either to go in or not.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 11 Oct 16 at 16:41

>> I enjoy the middle jumble sale, often find stuff I want. The rest of it
>> feel like I am walking around their own storeroom rather than a supermarket.

It's a bit 'back to basics' in that way to keep shelf stocking to a minimum. If you want the full 1964 Fine Fare or Grandways experience try B&M.

>> Not that it bothers me much. What does bother me is that it is so
>> unpredictable what food lines they'll be carrying that you usually end up going to a
>> real supermarket as well.

Round here they're always well stocked with basics like milk, bacon, bread rolls frozen/tinned veg etc. Fresh fruit and veg more of a lottery if you want stuff beyond potatoes, carrots, onions, apples oranges etc. Since I started using them c 2010 they've extended range hugely. 'Specially Selected' steaks are tender and flavoursome and much cheaper than tescobury's equivalent. Wines are good value as are selected beers - Marston's IPA currently £1.25/500ml bottle.

Agree though that some lines irritatingly appear/disappear apparently randomly, lightly smoked Scottish Salmon fillets being a case in point. They also muck up where products in same 'niche' are sold together. Tartare, Horseradish and Mint sauce in supposedly mixed boxes turn out to be a mint sauce monoculture. Same with bio/non bio washing liquid.

Some stores are better managed then others. Daventry and Towcester are always tidier and better stocked then Northampton St James.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 11 Oct 16 at 18:22

>>Not really sure about the relevance of what cars are in the car park. The presence of BMWs and Mercs is not something that would form part of my criteria, either to go in or not. >>

Try thinking it through.
>> >>Not really sure about the relevance of what cars are in the car park. The
>> presence of BMWs and Mercs is not something that would form part of my criteria,
>> either to go in or not. >>
>>
>> Try thinking it through.

Aldi and Lidl attract people who have made themselves poor by buying status symbols they can't really afford?
You could equally say that by saving money in Aldi and Lidl they can afford better cars.

>> You could equally say that by saving money in Aldi and Lidl they can afford
>> better cars.

Exactly. We don't know.

>> >>Not really sure about the relevance of what cars are in the car park. The
>> presence of BMWs and Mercs is not something that would form part of my criteria,
>> either to go in or not. >>
>>
>> Try thinking it through.

I guess what other people drive must just be more importamt or significant to you, because I don't understand the connection.

Still, not really important.

>>I guess what other people drive must just be more importamt or significant to you, because I don't understand the connection.

Still, not really important. >>

It's nothing to do with importance or significance to me, merely an indication that such people are clearly happy with the quality of what they can buy at Aldi or Lidl and don't suffer from the same sense of superiority of those who live further south in the UK....:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 11 Oct 16 at 20:50

Any black Audi A4's in an Aldi car park probably belong to the manager. Especially if it's plate is a Birmingham plate.

>>Any black Audi A4's in an Aldi car park probably belong to the manager. Especially if it's plate is a Birmingham plate. >>

Apart from being a bit puzzled by this comment other than that the car presdumably goes with the job, I find it remarkable that someone could make several grammatical errors in just two short sentences.

>> several grammatical errors

Two duff apostrophes and an incorrect singular?

Mind you, I am not sure about the word "presdumably".
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 11 Oct 16 at 22:48

Perhaps I had something else on my mind but still wanted to do a quick post in the thread as a distraction, e.g. a family member who is ill in hospital.

This week I was meant to be in Greece on holiday.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 12 Oct 16 at 00:27

>> >>I guess what other people drive must just be more importamt or significant to you,
>> because I don't understand the connection.
>>
>> Still, not really important. >>
>>
>> It's nothing to do with importance or significance to me, merely an indication that such
>> people are clearly happy with the quality of what they can buy at Aldi or
>> Lidl and don't suffer from the same sense of superiority of those who live further
>> south in the UK....:-)

I am not, for once, being difficult but am curious.

What do you mean "such people"? Do you mean that BMW/Merc owners are a better indicator of quality than [say] a Fiat driver? Because if so you should see some of the old crap I drive around in.

I think the days of being able to judge disposable income, wealth or implied standards from the make of vehicle driven are long, long gone. If indeed they ever existed.

I guess one could argue some brand awareness, but even that is not sufficiently generally true to permit generalisations, I wouldn't have thought.

..or perhaps you would have thought?

I guess you don't really know why you made the comment about car brands then.

I suspected not.

>> I guess you don't really know why you made the comment about car brands then.

I suspected not.>>

You suspect nothing. Go back to my 20-49pm comment from Tuesday night. Clear enough.

You also missed another of your grammatical mistakes - a lot of difference between a literal and such errors.
 Cadburys Dairy Milk taste - BrianByPass
To Stuartli:
Try Dog's tactic - i.e. ignore the poster. Pat would do well to do the same. He'll eventually move on to some other prey.

Let him bait the grumpy lot in the other pub, although I suspect he won't do it to the members there.
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Fri 14 Oct 16 at 19:33
>>ignore the poster.

Its a good idea as far as it goes, but given I don't much care what such people do say, I struggle to see how I will care more if they don't say it.

Still, it might be worth it so give it a go, because goodness nothing else the idiots have tried has worked.

>>although I suspect he won't do it to the members there.

I suspect you may be right, given the current patrons. But in the future idiots and other clueless might join and then we'll see.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 14 Oct 16 at 20:44

Ignore a bully and let them win?

Never in a thousand years.

Pat

Another casualty - Crankcase
And so the quality of life is eroded one more tiny tiny notch.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/terrys-chocolate-orange-shrunk-10-percent-people-are-enraged_uk_57fb46f1e4b02213e95437f0

Another casualty - Dog
>>www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/terrys-chocolate-orange-shrunk-10-percent-people-are-enraged_uk_57fb46f1e4b02213e95437f0

This takes the biscuit IMO ... "it's the only fruit I eat"

Another casualty - Slidingpillar
Reducing the size of a chocolate bar to put the effective price up without changing the price charged has long been a sweet makers tool. Mars confectionery were doing this in the 60s, and probably much earlier too.

Plus, it leaves the door open for a big price increase to sell the new original sized bar.

Another casualty - Dog
This is as nice as Terry's chocolate orange IMO: www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256363293

Latest Forum Posts