Non-motoring > Car4Play without WWW Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 12

Car4Play without WWW - SteelSpark
Is there any chance that the web server can be configured so that we don't have to type in www (i.e. so we can just type car4play.com)?

If I am not browsing the site from a browser where I have it bookmarked, I tend to type it without www by default and then have to re-type it. Not a big deal, and this post has probably already taking more time to type than I would ever save with the change, but it would make car4play a bit more accessible.

Not sure if you host the servers yourself or whether they are hosted for you, but either way it should be fairly trivial to get the change implemented.
 Car4Play without WWW - smokie
You know in most browsers, if you want to go to a site which is .com, you simply type the site name then press Ctrl at the same time you hit enter, and it fills the www. & .com bits for you
 Car4Play without WWW - Skoda
i'm in the same boat as SS. Not a big one for me either but if it's a quick tweak then i'd be a happy man too.
 Car4Play without WWW - Iffy
Firefox fills in the www and the .com after a short delay.

Just enter 'car4play', hit return, and you will be here in no time.

Car4Play without WWW - CGNorwich
Safari and Chrome will complete automatically too
Thanks for all this advice guys, will come in helpful for this and other sites.

However, I still suggest that the mods look to get this change made, which I believe is fairly straightforward, just to make it a bit smoother for all.
 Car4Play without WWW - Runfer D'Hills
I just save it as a favourite place in the toolbar. One click and I'm in.
 Car4Play without WWW - Iffy
...I just save it as a favourite place in the toolbar...

Same here, it's next to Hotmail, BBC homepage, and something called Latest Headlines which was there already.

Car4Play without WWW - MD
SRWare Iron is the only browser you will ever need. Sick of telling you lot. Younoristen!
 Car4Play without WWW - Dave_
If I'm away from home I just Google it - never been one for typing addresses manually.
 Car4Play without WWW - Stuartli
If you have AutoComplete Enabled, then merely typing the first letter of Car4Play should find the URL for the website, plus a list of all other websites beginning with that letter; the more letters you initially type the more accurate the pinpointing of a particular website.

Just click on a website and the full details will come up in the Address Bar - hit Enter to go to the site.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 24 May 10 at 15:41
Yes, thanks again for all of the advice, but I'm concerned that the suggestion that the server is configured to work without www is going to get ignored, certainly there has been no response regarding a possible configuration.

It's not a big deal, but it really is pretty standard for websites to do that, and sometimes people use browsers that aren't as rich as some of the desktop browsers (mobiles, game consoles etc) so it is a good thing to do, to save a bit of frustration.

That said, I do appreciate everybody taking the time out to suggest workarounds.
 Car4Play without WWW - car4play
Thanks for the suggestion. I am a bit confused though because it has had a redirection in place for a few weeks now where car4play.com redirects to www.car4play.com.
We could let the site browse under both hosts but this tends to confuse the stats. We tend to have a number of hosts that all redirect to the main one of choice. I found if I left off the www part then most people instinctively add it anyway. So either way one needs a redirector.
Latest Forum Posts