Non-motoring > Washing machine leak. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 34

Washing machine leak. - Bigtee
For the past week there was a puddle of water found one leak at the door seal or suspected this as was wet at the bottom.

Hotpoint machine 4 years old fitted new seal last week great i thought now a small puddle has started and couldn't find for the life of me from where not the door seal but after sitting there like a plank watching the machine i know it does it in the last 20 mins as i found it.!!

The corner of the drawer leaks.!!

So anyone know why? and how to fix?

It looks like taking it to bits again or may slap some bathroom silicone in that corner and build a wall.!!
 Washing machine leak. - Dutchie
Can you buy a new drawer?
 Washing machine leak. - -
''i know it does it in the last 20 mins as i found it.!!''

Possible the conditioner dispenser syphon has clogged up, remove drawer and clean the thing thoroughly and the whole of the recess especially round the water jets, are you using concentrated conditioner?

To make this into a blokey thread the use of a pressure washer would make the cleaning process fun.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 3 Mar 13 at 15:05
Yes gave it a clean and the jets but still does it & looked for a new drawer there available on e spares.

It's right were it swings out in that corner i just can't seem to find why it does it, Soon as i open the door when filling it runs out much faster.!
Just had a look at our dispense drawer W/Machine Hoover.Does the drawer close tight?

They must be similai,.a bit awkward to lift out.
Dutchie, yes it seems to shut ok it sits in a plastic guide and runs along that it seems ok, it will turn out to be something flippin daft.
Found a blue cover over conditioner part that was bent a bit so removed that and slung it back on for another wash to see if that was it probably not.!!

A towel at the bottom every time a wash mops the little bit up it's not gushing.
Hoover got the same blue cover problaby something silly what's gone wrong.
Good luck Bigtee a womans work is never done.>:)
 Washing machine leak. - Zero
Its blocked, you really need to get in there and clean it out. You say you have but its still blocked.
 Washing machine leak. - maltrap
Where i live there are a few shops that sell washing machine parts, i find that the people that run these places are a mine of information when it comes to particular problems on specific machines, i,d go there and do a bit of brain picking !
You could run the machine empty after cleaning the drawer again and put plenty of washing up liquid in to clean or clear anything.Can use Galcon, W /Liquid is cheaper.Hotwater not a cold wash.
 Washing machine leak. - RichardW
Google is the mine of information these days.... This nicked from a thread on howtomendit.com, relating to water leaking out of the soap dispenser on Hotpoint machines. Lots of responses to it saying that it had fixed a leak just like the OPs.

Had exactly the same problem with a WD640, which I've just fixed.

I also initially went through lowering the water pressure to the point that it was taking ages to initially fill up; however, still ended up flooding the kitchen out of the detergent dispenser. The problem is not the water pressure, it's that the washer can't pump the water out fast enough - it my case this was due to a couple of my daughters little socks!

If your Hotpoint washer is a similar design to mine, you'll not have a user-accessible pump filter, so - presuming you're happy doing it and the machine is unplugged from the electricity of course - I rectified by the following:

1. Switched the machine to 'pump-out' and got rid of as much water as possible.
2. Unplugged and disconnected the pump-out pipe from the house drainage and drained off as much additional water as possible into a bowl by gravity.
3. Removed the panel at the bottom of the back of the washer to expose the pump, the bottom of the drum and the main washer motor.
4. On the right-hand side, you'll see the pump with the grey (in my case) drain pipe and a wide black rubber pipe connected directly to the bottom of the drum by an adjustable metal clip
5. The wide black pipe attached to the drum contains a ball-filter and is probably the source of your problems - undo the clip (watching for water of course; though none was spilt when I did it) - and lower it slightly to reveal the filter and - hopefully - the odd sock or so!
6. Clear the filter of the obstructions (the plastic ball can be lifted out by the way to aid doing this)
7. Make sure the ball is back in place and connect the wide black pipe back up to the bottom of the drum - ensure the clip is secure
8. Replace the machines back panel
9. Connect the drain pipe back up to the house drainage
10. Do a test wash !

Hope that helps - in practice it took about 10 minutes all together and is pretty easy.

cheers,
John

Washing machine leak. - Mapmaker
Why did they do away with user-accessible filters?
 Washing machine leak. - Roger.
..................to sell you more washing machines!
 Washing machine leak. - madf
>> Why did they do away with user-accessible filters?
>>

Bosch have not.

Of course if you buy unreliable rubbish like Hotpoint, you get what you deserve.. a brand marked very low on the reliability stakes... (by Which amongst others)
>> >> Why did they do away with user-accessible filters?
>> >>
>>
>> Bosch have not.
>>
>> Of course if you buy unreliable rubbish like Hotpoint, you get what you deserve.. a
>> brand marked very low on the reliability stakes... (by Which amongst others)

Yes quite right, I have a Bosch, and it has a proper accessible filter.

It is however, in every other way, as badly made as any hotpoint.
 Washing machine leak. - Manatee
The 12.5 year old Miele, front accessible filter, is still going ... a good £500 worth that was in August 2000.

In fact I think the whole front opens on a hinge, to reveal the nicely crackle painted cast iron collar round the drum, in lieu of the usual lump of concrete perched on top.
 Washing machine leak. - Cliff Pope
Water is fed into the drawer under pressure, but drains into the drum under gravity.
The drawer is not sealed or pressure-tight, so it is inevitably highly vulnerable to any obstruction of the outlet pipe, usually from partly-caked soggy powder.

We put the powder straight in the drum (not bothered about a pre-wash cycle), so no clogging and no leaking.
 Washing machine leak. - Gromit
A good starting point for a gummed-up washing machine is to run the hottest available wash (95ºC on my Hotpoint) with no detergent in, to try dissolving and flushing out whatever goo is left.

Washing powder often doesn't dissolve fully at lower temperatures, so you get a build-up of residue in the machine. The outlet from the powder tray used to clog in mine, causing the tray to back-fill at the start of the cycle.
 Washing machine leak. - Bromptonaut
One reason we started using gel or liquid was that it mixes immediately with water and removes the chore of keeping the drawer and it's jets clean.
I think that is one of the main reasons these machines clog up to many cold washes.Red hot water once in a while can't do any harm.
 Washing machine leak. - Bromptonaut
>> >>Red hot water once in a while can't do any harm.

It can if you forget to reset it to cool and then boil wash the wife's favourite cardi.....

:-(
 Washing machine leak. - Manatee
>> >> >>Red hot water once in a while can't do any harm.
>>
>> It can if you forget to reset it to cool and then boil wash the
>> wife's favourite cardi.....
>>
>> :-(

That's why I never touch the washing machine!
with white or wine vinegar in the water.
Update it's working or should i say behaving at the moment, i tweeked the flap on the conditioner draw it stood a little proud maybe water was hitting it and spraying off where it shouldn't not sure.

Also every wash since has had calgon tablets so if any crud in the pipes it may have started to wash it away, it's done 4 washes since the problems but time will tell.

Did one wash of towels at 90c with 2x tablets in, so will wait and see it's a good learning curve there a cheap machine i agree but so are the spare parts Bosch maybe next when the motor dies.

Washing machine leak. - TeeCee
>> Bosch maybe next when the motor dies.

One thing worth remembering is that Bosch, Siemens and AEG (probably others too) have online parts catalogues and ordering, including exploded diagrams which aid with diagnosis. The parts price is immaterial compared to the cost of cutting the engineer callout out of the equation!

Having said that, courtesy of a pricing pig's ear by a local large electrical retailer that they probably regret, I am now running a Samsung.
 Washing machine leak. - Number_Cruncher
>>cutting the engineer callout out of the equation

...cutting the repairman callout out of the equation OK (if perhaps sexist)

...cutting the technician callout out of the equation OK

People who repair washing machines, domestic boilers, tellys, photocopiers, etc, etc. are not engineers. The companies who supply them call them engineers to help justify the inflated price.

In the states, engineers drive trains.....
Engineer at work:

photoreflect.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/blogger-lightbox-and-traction-engine.html
 Washing machine leak. - TeeCee
>> In the states, engineers drive trains.....
>>

In the states, anyone in a "doing it" job, rather than a "talking about it" job, with a vaguely technical content is an "engineer".

Even computer programmers are "engineers".

Also on the IT side, what we think of as "contractors" are "consultants" over there. This causes endless confusion.
What doesn't help here is that "consultant" is a bit of a dirty word on this side of the pond, as it's usually taken to mean some overpaid, buzzword-spouting liar, hired in at eye-watering cost by management to make the decisions that said management are already being paid a fair old whack to make themselves.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Mar 13 at 10:20
 Washing machine leak. - bathtub tom
R4 reported on its Today programme, BT are to recruit hundreds of 'engineers'.

Who's got it wrong, BT or R4?
 Washing machine leak. - Number_Cruncher
It depends who BT are recruiting, and what they're going to be doing.

Mending or installing domestic telephone connections - technicians

Designing, planning, managing major infrastructure - engineers

However, the BBC is very good at getting it wrong.

There was an article on Newsnight about the problem of recruiting more women into engineering. The whole while, the background images were of assembly operators on a production line. No wonder so many people have the wrong view of the work done by engineers.

I suppose the background of people and things moving around on a production line is more visually exciting than people working behind desks doing calculations, CAD, or writing technical documents. The message that engineers create, design, define, plan, manage, assess, recruit, and account rather than build or mend is not getting out to the public at large.

Allowing a qualified engineer to spend too much time with his/her hands dirty would be a serious waste of skill.
 Washing machine leak. - Mapmaker
>> >> Why did they do away with user-accessible filters?
>> >>
>>
madf>> Bosch have not.
>>
>> Of course if you buy unreliable rubbish like Hotpoint, you get what you deserve.. a
>> brand marked very low on the reliability stakes... (by Which amongst others)
>>

My Bosch does not.
In my experience of Hotpoints they are very long-lasting, as long as you accept the following:

1) Tray clogs up easily. Keep it clean, use liquid detergent, or tip powder straight into the drum

2) If it stops and won't run, it will be the motor brushes. Cheap and easy to replace.

3) If it's not the brushes, it's the door release safety switch failed. By-pass the switch, just remember not to open when it's still running.

When it finally fails, its the programmer. Whip one out of another one at the skip, discarded probably because its brushes have gone.
Latest Forum Posts