Non-motoring > Latest DIY project with pics Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 9

Latest DIY project with pics - RattleandSmoke
My room had been falling to pieces for a while. last Thursday I got round to emptying it. I then made a start on the wall near the window and that is where the job ended up being a bit one.

Empty room:

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1020077_zpse43b4243.jpg

I knew I would need to make good the wall near the window as the plaster was blown, however once the wall paper came down it became apparent the only thing holding up the plaster was the wall paper.

So by last weekend it was looking like this. I had just started re pointing in this picture, but ended up doing a lot more after the picture was taken.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1080912_zpseaa1f9f9.jpg

I discovered very little was holding in the UPVC window frame, it was screwed into a wooden subframe which was secured by the crumbling plaster and a wooden lintel! I put some expanding foam in to secure it, and then cemented over that (not shown in the picture).

This picture was before how the window was when all the plaster was removed.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1020098_zpsaede93c8.jpg

So the next problem was how to fix this wall, with virtually no budget. I went on you tube and watched some videos on drywalling and this is how the room is looking tonight. The main problem was the wall was so uneven so it was very difficult to align the plasterboards, but skimming has taken away any hard edges.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1020120_zps069bfd48.jpg

I still need to sand some of the easyfill down and make good the obvious areas but it is looking quite good now.

I still think it is going to be another good week as I have to do a lot more skimming, repair this wall, rewire the light switch, put the lining paper up and redecorate.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1020089_zpsc3227db4.jpg

So far the total spend has been around £100 and that the materials were mostly from B&Q and Selco.

I am in no way claiming this is a professional job but it has mostly been me and my dad doing this, and my dad is one of those people that won't even put a shelf up. My mother has done a lot of work as well, especially all the hidden bits like the tidying up!.

I will post a picture once it is all complete. I have been doing this in between jobs etc and has been a good learning curve.

Latest DIY project with pics - sherlock47
Be aware that at least one of the links gives away a lot of your identity info!

I fixed the security issue where you could change the URL and view all my other pics if that was what you meant?

If it was the view out of the window you meant, well if anybody knows where that is I either trust them enough or they are my neighbours anyway! I don't think any random people could work out where I live just from that view.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 1 Mar 13 at 20:38
 Latest DIY project with pics - rtj70
I can confirm when I first looked at this a few minutes ago I could have seen other images (I didn't look). But now it seems fixed. The old URL in the browser history doesn't show anything either.
I just made the albums private, so unless you know the URL it won't work. I had pictures of my workshop on there, which had a sign with my business website, which then meant people had my home address. A silly error I was playing about with settings the other night and must have accidentally made it public.

Latest DIY project with pics - R.P.
Thanks all - If you're happy Rattle ? One of the others had e-mailed their concerns and I've only just picked it all.
 Latest DIY project with pics - sherlock47
I looked at the first link and thought that if I forwarded thro the pictures I would find the other room related pictures - however what I did find was the business name, which then revealed your personal details of address and business website.
 Latest DIY project with pics - R.P.
Thanks pmh...
Normally when I used this, I knew all the pics were just of old cars and cats, so was not fussed but of course fairly recently (well 9 months now) I added the workshop pics. I do post on a professional forum and have posted those image, but on there they all know who i AM anyway so there wasn't a security risk. I have tested it on Android too, and it seems on Android it lets anybody view the images, on a PC you need to at least have a little bit of understanding of how the internet works to view them.

Anyway problem is solved, and thanks again for pointing out the security flaw :).
 Latest DIY project with pics - zookeeper
where i come from repointing large holes in walls is called gobbing up... a tip, scratch any large areas with a nail when you apply it..helps the plaster rough coat ( backing) stick
Latest Forum Posts