Non-motoring > Whisky down the drain :-( Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 11

Whisky down the drain :-( - Manatee
This story caught my eye as I sat here sipping my malt.

As it was at Chivas Brothers, it might have been decent stuff.

What did surprise me was the passing reference to the world's second best selling brand of Scotch which is also produced there - can anybody guess what it is without looking?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21614304

The list of the top 10 whiskies in 2011 is here. The top name may be no surprise, but most of the others were, to me.

elitedaily.com/elite/2012/top-10-whisky-brands-world/
 Whisky down the drain :-( - bathtub tom
I'm rather partial to a drop of Ballantines. Usually only see it in foreign airports where it seems to have displaced 100 Pipers (another I like).

Most of those top whiskies are grain - not too my taste.
>>Most of those top whiskies are grain - not to my taste.

I think the Indian ones are made from molasses!
 Whisky down the drain :-( - Zero
not sure I have ever had an indian whiskey, only stuff made by yanks, micks and jocks.
 Whisky down the drain :-( - rtj70
Outside of India, would Indian Whisky be a whisky at all? I am not sure if it's true it's based mostly on fermenting molasses.
>> Outside of India, would Indian Whisky be a whisky at all? I am not sure
>> if it's true it's based mostly on fermenting molasses.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. Not in Europe anyway, and probably not the US. Spirit made from molasses/sugar cane would normally be rum wouldn't it?
 Whisky down the drain :-( - Alanovich
>> not sure I have ever had an indian whiskey, only stuff made by yanks, micks
>> and jocks.
>>

I've a Japanese malt at home, Yamazaki 12 year old. Very palatable with more than a hint of Bourbon. Odd that I like it as I don't like Yank whiskey.
 Whisky down the drain :-( - Roger.
>> >>Most of those top whiskies are grain - not to my taste.
>>
>> I think the Indian ones are made from molasses!
>>

Mule or horseasses, perhaps?
 Whisky down the drain :-( - Old Navy
One of my daughters is a manager in a major whisky and other drinks bottling plant, (different company). I reckon she will be having a chuckle and thinking "Easy done, glad that wasn't my team".
 Whisky down the drain :-( - Mike Hannon
If it was Chivas Regal that went down the drain it's no great loss - and probably did the drains good. Extremely over-rated in my book but bought by people who buy on name.

Ballantines is big abroad, hence the rating. It's all over European supermarkets. I've never rated it personally, though I rather like 100 Pipers, also easily available in the export market.
My favourite blend is The Antiquary but I have to go to Italy to get it these days.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 1 Mar 13 at 12:12
I'm not a great fan of Chivas either, but it must have some decent malt in it.

The only non pure malt blend I have is BNJ. I do have some blended/anonymous malts - the Waitrose one is nice, as is Finlaggan, usually.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailie_Nicol_Jarvie

Apart from some Aldi stuff that goes in cakes, and is given to anybody who asks for lemonade in it!
 Whisky down the drain :-( - zookeeper
i used to sell the stuff in my youth, chivas did a really nice whisky called royal salute...it came in a silk bag inside a box...only our special customers were allowed to buy it, those that had purchased chivas regal through out the year were entered in to a lottery, even then the lucky winner still had to pay for it...was around 40 quid a bottle ( circa 1977) !
Latest Forum Posts