Non-motoring > Change(s) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 25

Change(s) - R.P.
Wandering aimlessly back to the car after "work" hands in pocket playing with the small change that the Asda self-service puked out a few minutes earlier. Something didn't feel right.....reached 'em out and found that one of the 5p was a sixpenny piece from 1954.....not seen one in 40 years I'm sure - like seeing an old friend. Just thought I'd share the moment.
 Change(s) - Runfer D'Hills
They must've had a Yorkshireman in just before you. Finally opened his wallet...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 17:17
 Change(s) - Alastairw
I got an American 'penny' in mine recently. Youngest was quite impressed.
 Change(s) - Slidingpillar
While you've been rooked as far as face value is concerned, the chance is a 1954 sixpence is worth a bit more to a collector than 5p these days.
 Change(s) - R.P.
My very first thought when my fingers traced the detailed work on this delightful relic of long gone era....it's in good nick.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 20:25
 Change(s) - Manatee
Only worth pennies unless it's got 2 heads!

IIRC they did actually circulate for a bit after decimalisation. Unlike pennies and threepenny bits, they did have a decimal equivalent value while the 1/2p was around.

Still more interesting than a 5p.
 Change(s) - Bromptonaut
Like Manatee I remember sixpences stayed in circulation until late seventies as a '2.5p' coin.

As a pre-schooler my maternal Granny and I saved sixpences in an Alka-Seltzer jar for the roundabouts and swings in Scarborough.
 Change(s) - R.P.
I don't recall the 2.5p coin but may explain another find. I was on a bike trip to France in the late Seventies - camping near Soissons in France I was lying in the grass (as one does) and my meandering hands found a sixpence - which may explain my non-surprise of finding an out of circulation coin. Funny thing memory.
 Change(s) - Zero
>> My very first thought when my fingers traced the detailed work on this delightful relic
>> of long gone era....it's in good nick.

Its not, really. In the coin world good nick is "uncirculated" yours has been in circulation for nearly 60 years! Its as old as me, 54 was my birthday
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 20:55
 Change(s) - R.P.
Wanna buy it ? 99p plus P&P is the going rate on Fleabay !
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 20:56
 Change(s) - Zero
err no.
 Change(s) - R.P.
:-)
 Change(s) - rtj70
I can remember the 2.5p coin. I was born in 1970.
Ah a young whipper-snapper (nurse - the screens...).
 Change(s) - Dutchie
I liked the old money took me a while to take in, being brought up wih the decimal system

Going to Wimpey's change back from ten bob ham egg and mushrooms for two.
 Change(s) - Manatee
Used to drink Webster's best at 1/9 (8.75p) a pint.

A pint of Fuller's bitter is £3.80 in the pub down the road. £3.80 (£3 16s 0d) would have bought 43 pints of Webbo's.

That's inflation, coming soon to a pub near you :-)
 Change(s) - Pat
I can remember buying a fish and three.

Fish was sixpence and 3 pennorth of chips...a good meal for 9 old pence.

We got scraps free too!

Pat
 Change(s) - Haywain
"We got scraps free too!"

Mmm, Pat, do you mean 'scratchins'?
 Change(s) - helicopter
Never mind sixpences

I like getting my hands on threepenny bits.......
 Change(s) - smokie
" threepenny bits" LOL when I first read this post I wondered how long that would take and who would be 1st...
 Change(s) - Cliff Pope
>> " threepenny bits" LOL when I first read this post I wondered how long that
>> would take and who would be 1st...
>>

We used to save any silver ones to put in the Christmas pud. They were much too rare to spend even then.
 Change(s) - Armel Coussine
>> We used to save any silver ones to put in the Christmas pud.

So did we. Our silver threepenny bits were brown with generations of sticky pudding in the engraving... I think they were really made of silver though, not the nickel of sixpences or the steel all coins now seem to be made of.
Might have the year one or so out, but pre 1948 silver coinage was I think 50% silver, and as you go back in time, the percentage rises.

You used to see adverts in the 80s for these as regardless of condition, they were worth more than their face value as scrap.
 Change(s) - Pat
I do Haywain, and they have been resposible for my constant diets throughout my life!

Pat
 Change(s) - MD
£3.80. Crikes. Where do you live Manatee?
 Change(s) - zookeeper
joeys ..silver thuppney bits...the perfect coin to get stuck in your froat after criggy pud.. many a heimlich manouvre practiced i should imagine..
Latest Forum Posts