Non-motoring > Are you a cruiser? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 49

Are you a cruiser? - Crankcase
The Titanic II, a replica of the first, is to be built and you'll be able to cruise on it from 2016, apparently.

www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2013/02/26/titanic-ii-will-be-built/1948935/

Would you sail on it?

I can't see the attraction of a cruise myself - a cross between being stuck in a shopping centre and a theme park whilst throwing up to my mind - but obviously there are some that love it.

Edit - if it really does have its maiden voyage from Shanghai to Southampton, I'll be nipping down to the south coast to see it.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 15:55
 Are you a cruiser? - Mike Hannon
We were talked into joining some friends on a Med/Greece cruise some years ago, using a well-known UK name. It was horrendous if you are not the type - Butlins afloat, complete with redcoats. The food was plentiful (which seemed to be one of the attractions for many cruisers) but mediocre. The ship carried 1,200 passengers - I simply can't imagine being trapped on one carrying three times that number. I think I would rather have taken my chance on the original Titanic.
Wouldn't mind having a look at the new one though. And a look at the Costa whatever it was when we get down to northern Italy later this year.
 Are you a cruiser? - Manatee
>> The Titanic II, a replica of the first,

Plus an iceberg detector I hope.

Never done one, but I can see the attraction of a cruise that visits interesting places fairly frequently.

Seems to me to be more suited to the older and/or less active who like to be carted about. No doubt it will come into consideration at some point if we have the brass.
There's a programme called Funny Business being broadcast on the BBC at the moment. The current episode, still on the iPlayer, is about a comedian trying his first cruise job. (He's not very good at it, I have to say).

Anyway, they say (I had no idea) that cruises are getting a new image, and that there are now things like Rock Cruises, where you get to hear and see big rock groups (and then of course eat with them at breakfast, which might disillusion you a bit), and that this is hugely popular, especially with the younger set.

Are you a cruiser? - Zero
>> Anyway, they say (I had no idea) that cruises are getting a new image, and
>> that there are now things like Rock Cruises, where you get to hear and see
>> big rock groups (and then of course eat with them at breakfast, which might disillusion
>> you a bit), and that this is hugely popular, especially with the younger set.

As long as the rock group dont knock holes int he side of the hotel, or it will be Titanic 2
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 16:19
 Are you a cruiser? - Bromptonaut
I quite like the idea of a wildlife or cultural cruise, the sort that has an ornithologist and historian to point stuff out. Or if I came into the money maybe a trip on the Hebridean Princess.

But wouldn't want the conventional entertainment and day trips 'Tuesday it must be Athens' type thing.
 Are you a cruiser? - sherlock47
So this is where the A- celebs go

www.getshiprocked.com/2012/artists/

Are you a cruiser? - Armel Coussine
Our colleague Old Navy goes on cruises. For a long time I found this odd as he knows better than most that a gross-looking floating budget hotel is not what a reasonable man would call a ship. But I imagine it's the sea he likes, and those cruise vessels have a lot of windows and promenade decks to enjoy it from.

When I was young flying was only for the rich and most people travelled by sea. Now it's more or less the other way round. I still feel the excitement of travel proper even on a cross-channel ferry. But I am far too snooty and impatient to enjoy the company of numerous holidaymakers and would regard laid-on entertainment with stark horror, so cruises in those ugly swollen monsters are not for me.
 Are you a cruiser? - Roger.
Neither a cruiser nor a cottager, I.
 Are you a cruiser? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Neither a cruiser nor a cottager, I.
>>
Damn Right!
I gave up supporting Fulham when Fayed took over.
 Are you a cruiser? - R.P.
I wouldn't be seen dead on a cruise ship. Doesn't float my boat so to speak. I always fancied one of those Banana boat cruises that Geest used to do to the Caribbean, limited number and a certain type of passenger...
Vegans?
No odd people. I am one apparently.
Vegans are odd.
 Are you a cruiser? - smokie
I've cruised 4 or 5 times and I love it. I've enjoyed those at the lower end of the market as much as the expensive ones. The first time I wasn't thinking I'd enjoy it but I find it so much better (content and value for money) than equivalent standard on-land package holidays. Quite pleased I won;t be coming across any of you miserable old curmudgeons next time I go :-)
having seen your picture its just as well we wouldn't get near the buffet.
 Are you a cruiser? - Runfer D'Hills
I couldn't imagine worse way to spend my free time than stuck on a boat being processed through my holiday.

However, I do have a master plan. It would involve some planning but here's how it goes. I'd first of all have to get a convenience divorce from my current wife, purely in order to facilitate the plan you understand.

Then I'd go on a cruise and attempt to recruit and seduce an extremely rich widow ideally in ill health, preferably with a dicky ticker. She would find me apparently charming and erudite and would eventually ( after a week or two at most anyway ) agree to a whirlwind marriage.

Then I'd take her mountain biking, skiing, jogging and climbing. All punctuated with stops for liberal quantities of chips, pizzas and cream cakes...

Within a couple of months the dosh would be mine as she'd have snuffed it and I'd nip home to re-marry my current wife.

Now that could persuade me to go on a cruise !

Can't see too many flaws in the plan eh? ( well, other than maybe having to, y'know the rich widow a couple of times but hey ! ...)

:-)
Sound business plan.
I thought so. Just have to run it by Mrs D'B but I'm sure she'll be fine with it...

slight problem, any more major bike accidents, you will be a eunuch and your plan will be in tatters.
 Are you a cruiser? - rtj70
Anyone seen the cruise channel? There's a duo on there flogging cruises and they make out you'd be a fool to not want one at only £x,000 each for ten nights :-) Before Christmas they were making out how much you'd save if you went away over Christmas instead of getting the turkey and other food in!

Cruises are not for me either. I don't fancy being cooped up with lots of others.
Funny that Humph, it did occur to me that the right cruise might appeal more if one were an over-the-hill Lothario lacking a current squeeze (= 'randy old goat on the pull'). But it didn't occur to me to tiptoe round the issue with a smooth piece of fiction.

:o} snigger
HaHaHa !
It could actually be made into a competition. Get a like minded bunch of c4ppers to try the plan simultaneously and see who was closest to affording the Veyron after 3 months...

A new angle on Bangernomics ?
Brilliant !

think I'll stick with the lancer....
Only need to go to Butlins to fund one of them too.
>> closest to affording the Veyron after 3 months...

Tsk. A toyboy's jalopy if ever there was one.
 Are you a cruiser? - sherlock47
>>Within a couple of months the dosh would be mine as she'd have snuffed it and I'd nip home to re-marry my current wife.<<

Fundamental flaw may be that she set out with a similar plan. But hers includes married (by the captain) at sea, followed by a little something in your food. Buried at sea, no autopsies on board! All your worldly goods to finance her next cruise.
Concrete boots ?
>>Fundamental flaw may be...

Fair point. I'll make a note to take sandwiches.
 Are you a cruiser? - Alanovich
>> >> Neither a cruiser nor a cottager, I.
>> >>
>> Damn Right!
>> I gave up supporting Fulham when Fayed took over.
>>

Splitter. ;-)

Best period in the club's history.
 Are you a cruiser? - Old Navy
>> Our colleague Old Navy goes on cruises.

I have been on two, one to the Norwegian Fiords, and one to St Petersburg. Both were from Rosyth, a ten minute taxi ride from home, never more than 24 hours at sea, and visiting places of interest to me. The only other one I would consider would be in the Red Sea and including a visit to Petra. I have just returned from a holiday in the Maldives, definitely recommended.
 Are you a cruiser? - Mapmaker
Humph, on a similar note, a chum of mine is worried about inheritance tax on his father-in-law's estate. I proposed:

1. Divorce wife.
2. Enter into civil partnership with father-in-law.
3. Pass wealth to chap.
4. Divorce father-in-law.
5. Errr, I guess the honourable thing is to remarry the ex-wife...
 Are you a cruiser? - Cliff Pope

>> 2. Enter into civil partnership with father-in-law.
>>

Not allowed. For some bizarre reason it's classified as incest.
 Are you a cruiser? - Kevin
>I have just returned from a holiday in the Maldives, definitely recommended.

Shhh!

Don't tell 'em ON, the place is getting too popular already. There were even Russians there last year. Ignorant, rude, fat, middle-aged nouveau riche(ish) Russian men with female companions one third their age.

We're going back in a few weeks time, later than we usually go but hoping to see some Mantas.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Mar 13 at 01:11
later than we usually go but hoping to see some Mantas.

Motoring connection ? :-)
>> with female companions one third their age...

Was just speaking to a 60 year old British ex-pat mate last night who lives somewhere very hot and exotic now and who's wife unexpectedly beggared off and left him at Christmas. He's since hooked up with some very pnuematic and admittedly gorgeous Russian bird who's in her 30s.

I wonder what first attracted her to the more than well heeled multi-property owning semi-retired businessman? In fairness he knows the score, and right about now he doesn't care !
Bonkernomics ?
>> >I have just returned from a holiday in the Maldives, definitely recommended.
>>
>> Shhh!
>>
>> Don't tell 'em ON, the place is getting too popular already.

We were there during the Chinese New Year, The only problem that caused was the oriental habit of photographing themselves in front of everything, even the food in the restaurant !

True about it becoming too popular, our favoured resort is fully booked for most of the year.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 20:41
 Are you a cruiser? - Dog
Nearest I've been to a cruiser is when I took the ferry from Cadiz to Tenerife, then coming back via Santander to Plymouth.

My FiL always used to say if he won the pools (remember those!) he would take us all on a cruise.

Needless to say I'm pleased he didn't win in a way!
 Are you a cruiser? - Manatee
Sometimes things disappear without you noticing. Have the pools done that? Overthrown by the lottery?
 Are you a cruiser? - DP
As someone who sees a boat of any kind as a mode of transport to be used only when you have no sensible alternative, and who whooped with joy when the Channel Tunnel opened, it's wasted on me :-)
 Are you a cruiser? - Dog
Spot the ball anyone? ... I was sure I was going to win back in the 70's, I made a template up with zillions of holes very very close together, bound to come up sooner or later Shirley, just got to keep on doing it every week, like.

:(
 Are you a cruiser? - legacylad
My fav 'cruises' were the old North Sea Ferries jobs ex Hull to Rotterdam on a Friday night. At the time, my late teens, I was going out with a Dutch lass from Leiden. I would cruise over alternate weekends, drink an excess of Leffe, or similar, and smoke a bit.
The old Norstar & Norsea probably wouldn't match up to todays modern liners.
Happy daze. Literally.
 Are you a cruiser? - rtj70
You can still do the 'mini-cruises' from Hull to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge. We'll do the latter again soon. We like Bruges.

We have done a South Shields to Norway trip - but that was not a cruise surely? It was a comfortable ferry.
If you catch the weather right a "Mini cruise" (ferry crossing) that is pleasant is a visit to the Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip fields near Rotterdam, spectacular in the spring.
 Are you a cruiser? - Mike Hannon
It's just occurred to me, an old friend who was a very successful senior police officer and a gregarious type now has a comfortable retirement interest as a part-time lecturer on cruise ships. Apparently this is a fast-growing sector if you are the right type.
Strange how threads go. I thought the most interesting part was the rebuild of the Titanic! Still, that's discussion for you.

Not that I haven't enjoyed all the other contributions of course, for which many thanks.
Latest Forum Posts