Non-motoring > Google search - very poor results. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

Google search - very poor results. - henry k
I have just done a a simple Google search for an Orange 'phone shop.
The results seem to be almost useless.
Google seems to start its search based on a location just a couple of miles from my home. I have no idea why it starts from there.
The first results supplied list locations miles away when there are many shops very much closer. A longer list gives locations even further away. The lists extends to Chelsea ( from Surrey!! )

Have others found these sort of poor results when searching?

Google search - very poor results. - Zero
no
 Google search - very poor results. - Meldrew
As a satisfied Google user I searched for "Orange telephone shop + "My home town"". The first result was a sponsored ad for Orange in general and the 2nd one was the details of the Orange shop in "My home town"
 Google search - very poor results. - Roger.
I find Bing pretty good for general searches, with not so many advertisement driven results at the top of the list.
 Google search - very poor results. - Bromptonaut
It didn't refer me directly to the nearest but did link to the EE/Orange shop finder.
 Google search - very poor results. - -
I have DuckDuckGo as my home page/search, first hit was the nearest orange shop.

Only use google or other citizen monitoring stations when necessary.
 Google search - very poor results. - Robin O'Reliant
>> I have DuckDuckGo as my home page/search, first hit was the nearest orange shop.
>>

I'd never heard of that one, GB. Got the link on my desktop now.
 Google search - very poor results. - movilogo
If you change your IP address, you will be amazed how different your google search result will be. By default, Google determines your location from your IP address and customises the result so that they have got their best chance of revenue generation via ads and sponsored listing.

Google charges all big companies to show their products on web search. It is no longer an impartial search in many cases.

Bing is better in some cases but worse in other cases.

DuckDuckGo is better when you need to search something generic and not UK specific as it is mainly a US site.
 Google search - very poor results. - Zero
>> If you change your IP address, you will be amazed how different your google search
>> result will be. By default, Google determines your location from your IP address and customises
>> the result so that they have got their best chance of revenue generation via ads
>> and sponsored listing.

Alas, most people are unable to change their IP address as its DHCP allocated from a pool.

>> Google charges all big companies to show their products on web search. It is no
>> longer an impartial search in many cases.
>>
>> Bing is better in some cases but worse in other cases.
>>
>> DuckDuckGo is better when you need to search something generic and not UK specific as
>> it is mainly a US site.

Search engines are not free public services, they are there to generate revenue. However if you learn how to construct an argument they are still the only real way to find what you want, and Google is still the best by a considerable margin.
 Google search - very poor results. - henry k
Thanks for your responses.
I have Bing and will try DuckDuckGo.
Google serves me well except for this one event when it was total and utter rubbish
 Google search - very poor results. - Stuartli
>> Google serves me well except for this one event when it was total and utter rubbish>>

So clearly the problem appears to have been that the search query you made was a little too broad or vague. Google is a fantastic tool (I have two books written by top executives at the company offering great advice on how to use it) and you would appear to have been a little unlucky.
Latest Forum Posts