Non-motoring > Computer Games - How it used to be Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 16

Computer Games - How it used to be - Robin O'Reliant
A history of football computer games, which graphically and gameplay wise shows how PCs have developed over the years. Some of the stuff we actually paid for back then is so bad it is hilarious.

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/feb/21/classic-youtube-best-sports-clips
 Computer Games - How it used to be - smokie
Never much of a football fan, either on computers or in real life.

But I wasted many hours on the Spectrum, playing Manic Miner, Atic Atac, The Hobbit and Jet Set Willy. Oh, and Horace and the Spiders.

In arcades/pubs I liked Galaxians and original Space Invaders. I was quite a mean pinball player too, that goes back to my teens, with grandparents in Southend and Rhyl, as a result spending way too much of my holiday time and money in the amusements - I still enjoy a game of pinball now when I see one

There is a media museum in Bradford where in the foyer they have old machines you can play on. I got through the first five levels of Manic Miner without losing a life, I've done them that many times. 20+ years ago mind!

Have we done a thread on this before, favourite old computer games?
 Computer Games - How it used to be - Fursty Ferret
Dizzy! And Digger, of course. I used to play Descent with my brother on the same computer. - he did the engines and I did the steering.

More modern games? Deus Ex is one of the best. The first Far Cry. Bioshock was fantastic. The Uncharted series. Favourite overall is the Portal duology, though if you forced me to pick a single game, Portal 2.
 Computer Games - How it used to be - Roger.
Bookworm & Bubbleshooter are my only PC games!
 Computer Games - How it used to be - DP
Great link. Some real nostalgia there, and it shows just how far things have come :-)

Sensible Soccer on the Amiga (9:09 in the vid) was great for both football fans and non-fans alike. Really slick, addictive gameplay that was great fun as a two player game. I played it a lot with mates over the years. As a non-fan on football, I've dabbled with the FIFA series but none have really gripped me, presumably because they have become more realistic, and therefore just as dull to me as the real thing. ;-)

I like a good simulator these days (Flight Simulator X, Gran Turismo 5, Sim City) as well as open world / sandbox stuff like the Grand Theft Auto series, Red Dead Redemption and the like. I loved the Tomb Raider series as well.

Computer Games - How it used to be - ....
Revs was my computer game of choice.
I never did get Elite and looking at a wireframe.
 Computer Games - How it used to be - -
Manic miner, well i never, thats just taken me back to some happy days tinged with sadness.

About the only game i could beat the lad at.
 Computer Games - How it used to be - Crankcase
Frak. Chucky Egg. Pacman. And most of all, Defender.

>> Manic miner, well i never, thats just taken me back to some happy days tinged
>> with sadness.
>>
>> About the only game i could beat the lad at.
>>

I've been playing that again recently courtesy of a Spectrum emulator. I finished it as a kid, but am struggling to get past the Skylab Landing Bay now. Getting older and slower.
 Computer Games - How it used to be - Zero
nothing ever beats three standout games/

1/ Leisure Suit Larry

2/ Duke Nukem 3d

3/ and the Wolfenstein Series......
>>
>> 2/ Duke Nukem 3d
>>

Good game.

There was actually a sequel, Duke Nukem Forever, released in 2011. This was only a matter of 14 years and a few lawsuits after it was originally announced :-)
 Computer Games - How it used to be - zookeeper
my top 3

wings ( ww1 fighter game)
it came from the desert
sword of sodan
 Computer Games - How it used to be - Robin O'Reliant
One of the most realistic sports games I've played (and am still addicted to) is Virtual Pool 3. I've downloaded VP4, the latest version but unfortunately my graphics card can't handle it.

PGA Golf was also great when I had an Amiga. As for FIFA, fantastic gameplay and graphics but far too many buttons to think about for an ageing brain.
 Computer Games - How it used to be - -
Long shot but here goes.

Can anyone remember a, probably type in game, little matchstick chap that would go round a maze collecting smoking bombs before they could explode, he's put a hand on his hip and tap his foot waiting for you to make a move, lots of fun.

Probably more to that than i can recall here, bin a few years now.
 Computer Games - How it used to be - rtj70
DP, I agree about the football games getting to realistic to be fun now. Same goes for a lot of games to be honest.

Back in the day some favourites would have included:

Spectrum: Manic Miner, Jetpack, some of the Horace games
BBC: Elite (of course!), Chucky Egg, Frak!
Commodore 64: Way of the Exploding Fist

These days it's probably first person type games if I play. Rare. I should get a better graphic card than a GTS250 to go with the Core i7 2600K processor too.

EDIT/PS... anyone else remember Football Manager on the Spectrum (written in BASIC). You could break into it and change your score in a game :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 22 Feb 13 at 17:03
 Computer Games - How it used to be - Crankcase
If you mean the inestimable Bomberman, GB, you'll be pleased to hear you can still play that online. No idea if its any good mind you.
 Computer Games - How it used to be - Zero
>> >>
>> >> 2/ Duke Nukem 3d
>> >>
>>
>> Good game.
>>
>> There was actually a sequel, Duke Nukem Forever, released in 2011. This was only a
>> matter of 14 years and a few lawsuits after it was originally announced :-)

And it was crap of the highest order :(
Latest Forum Posts