Oscar "blade runner" - Bromptonaut
>> Apparently Allegedly murdered his girlfriend
>>
>> I hope he doesn't want the RAF to drop him a pair of legs when
>> he is in jail

Full story here:

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/14/oscar-pistorius-girlfriend-shot-dead
 Oscar "blade runner" - Alanovich
Roses are red, violets are glorious. Never surprise Oscar Pistorius.

(Too soon?)
 Oscar "blade runner" - Zero
He won't have a leg to stand on in court
 Oscar "blade runner" - TheManWithNoName
They'll need to hide the starting pistol before his next race.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Ian (Cape Town)
Yep, much craziness today here.

first story was that he though she was a burglar, and let rip.

then it transpires that there is a history of 'domestics' there, and there'd been one last night, prior to the shooting.

My Jo'burg colleagues say he is a bit of a lad, and is known to be a bit of a loudmouth and thug, 'largeing' it a lot.

Still, Reeva was a lovely looking girl - I'd have given her a shot!

Now Oscar is in jail, til Friday. Where he'll be locked up with a bunch of hardcore criminals.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'prisoner did a runner', doesn't it?
Whilst I can't say I was introduced to him
The thought round the Paralympic village was that he was an arrogant git
And considered himself above the rest
Edit to be fair most athletes are arrogant gits it goes with the territory
 Oscar "blade runner" - Boxsterboy
>> The thought round the Paralympic village was that he was an arrogant git
>> And considered himself above the rest
>>

It is a trait of male South Africans that they can come across as arrogant (I know about half a dozen, and had one in our extended family). That's not to say that they are, of course. It's just the way they seem to us.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Roger.
>> They'll need to hide the starting pistol before his next race.
>>

He have a job to spring away from this.
 Oscar "blade runner" - TeeCee
To be fair, failing to spot the difference between your girlfriend and a murderous intruder must be an easy mistake to make when you're legless.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Armel Coussine
>> an arrogant git

Sporting heroes often are. A narrow, extremely focused outlook and a childhood and adolescence dominated by painful, boring, relentless training do not as a rule a well-rounded personality make. The high probability that life-threatening, mood-altering substances have been fed to you by your trainers and backers, with the tacit assent or active cooperation of your national government, wouldn't help much either. Psychologically, having no legs would accentuate any anxieties about sexual potency too, however ferret-like you might be in practice.

What a damn sad story.
 Oscar "blade runner" - rtj70
Even if this was a burglar breaking in - and it probably wasn't - he was taking to prisoners or giving any warnings. A shot to the head!

It is quite a story unfolding. I can't see any way he can get away with not being found guilty and going to prison. Unless shooting an intruder in South Africa is acceptable.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Dog
>> I can't see any way he can get away with not being found guilty and going to prison.

Praps he'll ask O.J. how he pulled it orf.
 Oscar "blade runner" - swiss tony
> Praps he'll ask O.J. how he pulled it orf.
>>

Oh yes... the case where OJ wore gloves too small to fit him...
 Oscar "blade runner" - Lygonos
>> Oh yes... the case where OJ wore gloves too small to fit him...

And apparently suffering from crippling arthritis meant physical incapability to commit the deeds.

Lolz.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Westpig
>> And apparently suffering from crippling arthritis meant physical incapability to commit the deeds.

Never was there a more guilty man. I was (sad enough) interested enough to watch weeks and weeks of his trail, virtually all of it. That man did it.

The major flaw with the defence angle that the cops stitched him up and lied to try to prosecute him...was...if that were true, they would have needed to know exactly where he was whilst the killing was committed... because if he'd been in a hotel bar with 150 other people/ at a t.v. centre about to give an interview 300 miles away/ etc...then their lies would have been easily seen through.

The other thing was for the initial cops to have staged evidence and moved the glove from the crime scene to his house (as was alleged) SEVENTEEN people would have needed to have gone along with it...that came out in all the evidence. Even the most corrupt outfit couldn't guarantee 17 people sent with a certain degree of randomness to a crime scene would go along with a lie of such proportion, against a well known and liked star/personality, and what would be the reason for such a lie... i can't think of one, other than racism? ....but some of those seventeen were black themselves, could Officer Firman have guaranteed all would go along with it? No.

Why (even if he were a white supremacist) would he choose that moment and that time with all those risks? Doesn't make sense.
The jury was 'nobbled' by the defence from the beginning - their excessive pre-trial filtering meant the jury were sympathetic towards the defendant and antipathetic towards the Police.
>> pre-trial filtering meant the jury were sympathetic towards the defendant and antipathetic towards the Police.

All biens-pensants insisted, with naked cynicism, that OJ shouldn't be convicted. I disagreed, since he'd obviously done it. Funny aren't they, the moral people one knows.
>> The jury was 'nobbled' by the defence from the beginning - their excessive pre-trial filtering
>> meant the jury were sympathetic towards the defendant and antipathetic towards the Police.
>>

They moved the court hearing from the equivalent of Hampstead to Lambeth....where considerably more black folk or persons of lower social status would be eligible for the jury.

One of the saddest things I remember, was news footage of a traditional black congregation in a church, cheering when he was found NG. So all those god fearing decent people were pleased that 'the black man got off'...regardless of his guilt. How wrong/sad is that. How troubled their society must be to end up like that. How that must ferment more problems when the stirrers in society get hold of it. How that must irritate the vast majority of decent people of all walks of life who want a murderer behind bars.
Don't worry WP, those 3 cops got off beating the black dude so it evens out in the end ;-)
>> news footage of a traditional black congregation in a church, cheering when he was found NG. So all those god fearing decent people were pleased that 'the black man got off'...regardless of his guilt.

Herself - a well-informed person - reminds me that the thing that really got OJ Simpson off was some falsified or dodgily treated or presented evidence by the LAPD. It does seem to ring a bell, and is of course not all that astonishing.

No doubt others will have seen the coverage of the mad policeman shootout also involving the LAPD, the Big Bear Sheriff's department and six or seven other law and order bodies.

'Those rounds kept on coming,' explained a spokesman over the clamour of an incredible fusillade in which thousands of rounds were clearly being fired simultaneously from numerous weapons. 'Police had no choice but to return fire.' Tee hee. 'There was no intention to set fire to the building.' In a pig's ear there wasn't.

If you really annoy the LAPD, or just get up its nose a bit, it will shoot you to pieces without hesitation. Once the firing starts everyone says they thought they were being shot at.

No reason not to shoot the mad copper of course. It's all the lying crap that's wrong. And the overoveroverkill.
The only reason OJ Simpson got off is because the LAPD were known to be racist, they cocked up and there was some sloppy evidence handling, and the LA DA was useless.

>> Oh yes... the case where OJ wore gloves too small to fit him...
>>

Yes. Fine leather gloves that contract/shrink when covered in fluid, those sort of gloves. The ones that can be a bit tight to put on anyway, but are comfy and snug when on.
>> Unless shooting an intruder in South
>> Africa is acceptable.
>>
well, you've deliberately come over an 8 foot wall, and managed to get through the barred windows or the security gates and are in my house.
I assume you are up to no good. FREEZE! I AM ARMED!
If you move after that, fair game.

>> >> Unless shooting an intruder in South
>> >> Africa is acceptable.
>> >>
>> well, you've deliberately come over an 8 foot wall, and managed to get through the
>> barred windows or the security gates and are in my house.
>> I assume you are up to no good. FREEZE! I AM ARMED!
>> If you move after that, fair game.
>>
>>
>>
Oh sorry babe I forgot you had gone out with the girls, don't bleed on the carpet it's just cleaned
>> Oh sorry babe I forgot you had gone out with the girls, don't bleed on
>> the carpet it's just cleaned
>>
Well, that excuse worked for about half an hour with oscar!

But if one is so much of a dingbat that one doesn't ascertain the threat before capping off numerous time, then one shouldn't have a firearm.
 Oscar "blade runner" - rtj70
>> well, you've deliberately come over an 8 foot wall, and managed to get through the barred
>> windows or the security gates and are in my house.

The walls of the gated community were ten feet high and made of stone. Topped with an electric fence.... sounds fairly secure to me.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Focusless
>> >> an arrogant git
>>
>> Sporting heroes often are.

There appear to be exceptions though, based on what we see of them on TV (ok flawed argument). Colin Jackson, Roger Black, Steve Cram, even Seb Code, might qualify as arrogant to varying degrees, but I'm not sure about gits.
They are confident and focused but mange to keep a little decency and humility
>> confident and focused but mange to keep a little decency and humility

Yes. Quite a few through upbringing, native intelligence (Jessica Ennis for example is obviously a thoughtful woman) or simply having a pleasant personality manage to remain personable.

But being a star of any sort, treated as such and prey to toadies and flatterers, can be quite damaging to a person's demeanour. Not everyone can hang onto some humility. One has to remember too that the behaviour of fans can be intensely annoying and offensive.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Jetski
Be funny if they try to hang him.
>> Be funny if they try to hang him.
>>
Naah - no death penalty here any more.
>> Be funny if they try to hang him.
>>

Booiiing, time for bed said zebedee
"Blade Runner" - it's a good title for a film.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Alastairw
I came across Greg Rutherford (gold medal long jumper) in Manchester this afternoon. He didnt hang around long, but he seemed a very decent sort.
>> To be fair, failing to spot the difference between your girlfriend and a murderous intruder
>> must be an easy mistake to make when you're legless.
>>

Snort - my tea just came out of my nostrils!
youtu.be/aeDk6ZeGNnU

Oscar "blade runner" - Bromptonaut
The lad's been reading me the sickipedia jokes.......
 Oscar "blade runner" - Harleyman
Pretorius now has an alibi. Police have found footprints.
 Oscar "blade runner" - sherlock47
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCAiY4Fl7E
 Oscar "blade runner" - sajid
should we not rename him to ocar pistol4us?

Pistorius Trial - Meldrew
What possible relevance has this trial to reader/viewers in the UK? Interesting perhaps, live coverage of the proceedings really not justified!
 Pistorius Trial - Armel Coussine
There's too much coverage and Pistorius's weeping and wailing, which seems somewhat exaggerated, would get on anyone's nerves.

However there is a sort of prurient curiosity about the man's leglessness, obvious brutality and SA gun culture which seems a lot more ghastly than US gun culture. I am enjoying the court performance of the prosecution's pit bull lawyer who seems to me quite intelligent and humane. He's destroying Pistorius. I look forward to his conviction.
 Pistorius Trial - movilogo
I bored of seeing this news everyday. Really can't understand the significance.
 Pistorius Trial - Dog
>>there is a sort of prurient curiosity about the man's leglessness

That's twice in two days you've used that word - spare a thought for us un-educated dullards will ya!

>>I look forward to his conviction.

So do I, if I'd done a terrible thing like that, intentionally or otherwise, I'd expect a blood eagle at the very least.
 Pistorius Trial - Crankcase

>> That's twice in two days you've used that word - spare a thought for us
>> un-educated dullards will ya!

Didn't you look it up the first time, Dog? How very discinct of you. :)
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 10 Apr 14 at 15:00
 Pistorius Trial - Dog
>>Didn't you look it up the first time

Course ;)
 Pistorius Trial - Focusless
>> What possible relevance has this trial to reader/viewers in the UK?

Not sure about relevance but the events took place not long after the London 2012 Paralympics, in which Pistorius was a major player.
 Pistorius Trial - Armel Coussine
>> What possible relevance has this trial to reader/viewers in the UK?

It isn't a question of relevance.

It's a story, a morality tale, which thanks to South Africa's let-it-all-hang-out court reporting is being exposed piquantly in detail, day by day. Hacks home in on this stuff because they know the readers/viewers lap it up.
 Pistorius Trial - No FM2R
>>What possible relevance has this trial to reader/viewers in the UK?

How very "American" of you.

There was a time Brits used to mock the US who had no interest outside their own shores.
 Pistorius Trial - zookeeper
gogglebox ch4 has him bang to rights
 Pistorius Trial - Ian (Cape Town)
>> gogglebox ch4 has him bang to rights
>>

Thanks for that. I'll download it later.

Some comments and observations from this side of the equator...
Obviously the public is lapping it up big time. My local pub, which has quite a few TVs, has a whole new clientele during the day, as the coverage is on satellite, not terrestial TV... and not everyone has Sat.
So folk come in and watch solidly for hours on end. This is the biggest event since Dallas.

As far as the trial itself goes, it is interesting to see who wasn't called to the stand as witnesses. One acquaintance of mine, who is known in football circles as 'the animal', had an altercation with Oscar a few years back, which culminated in OP threatening to shoot him.

Many of my Joburg friends and acquaintances who move in sporting circles say that Oscar is an arrogant SOB who surrounds himself with lackies and hangers-on of the same ilk.

And SA gun culture? Yep, this just epitomises how things are in certain circles - young, well-off testosterone-fuelled gym/bodybuilder types who revel in floozies, firearms, fights and fast cars, getting peeved and proving their machismo by pulling firearms and no realising the terrible consequences when things go pear-shaped.

A case last year has similar parallels to Oscar's - a local 'lad', some girlfriend problems, a shooting (The lad), an attempted cover-up on the murder scene etc etc etc - look up poena visser, and you'll get the idea.

Oh, the latest - Nel the prosecuter has been reported to the Human Rights Commission for his bulldog-like attack on Oscar in the witness stand.

The GLADIATOR(Oscar)
1. first annihilates a watermelon, (compares it to brains of a human)
2. then Reeva,
3. then blames Dr. Stipp for not been able to save Reeva(in his own words...Dr. Stipp...the first Doctor on the crime scene did not seem to know what he was doing),
4. then blames Reeva for been too sensitive,
5. then blames Fresco for the discharge of the firearm in Tasha's restaurant,
6. then blames Samantha for lying about discharging the gun from the sunroof after the Vaal trip,
7. then blames Fresco for lying about discharging the gun from the sunroof after the Vaal trip,
8. then says Samantha cheated on him by sleeping with another guy
9. then blames Police for contaminating the crime scene,
10. then says it's his father ammunition in his safe(which his father refuses to sign a statement for),
11. then says he never pulled the trigger in Tasha's Restaurant(well somebody did...and he was the only one holding the gun,
12. then says shooting Reeva was an accident(in his own words his gun has a double safety mechanism),
13. then blames his own Counsel(the beloved and indomitable Roux) on three occasions for inconsistencies in his bail application affidavit,
14. then blames the police officer for handling his firearm and making it safe after the trip to the Vaal,
15. then has become a combatant against the Prosecution and fails to answer questions put to him.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Dutchie
I have been following this trial,what surprises me that South Afrika has no jury in a murder case.My thoughts regarding Oscar, lost his temper and killed his girlfriend.

Oscar Pistorius trial. - Manatee
Good observation on Nel's summary for the prosecution on the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28698620

Unusual that the prosecutor doesn't actually argue a particular scenario.

For me, Dutchie's second sentence above looks the likely explanation, by about 1000 to 1. OP has failed to produce a consistent alternative story, let alone a rational one.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Ian (Cape Town)
Indeed.
As the trial unfolded it appeared that OP has a history of losing his temper, blaming everyone else for his problems, and getting into a huff when things don't go his way.
Some judicial experts had argued that a system of whites-only juries (as was the system at that time) was inherently prejudicial to 'non-white' defendants (the introduction of nonracial juries would have been a political impossibility at that time). More recently it has been argued that, apart from being a racially divided country, South African society was, and still is, characterized by significant class differences and disparities of income and wealth that could make the re-introducing the jury system problematical.

There you go, Dutchie!

Thanks Ian but don't you think if that is the General thought regarding prejudice would have gone by now.Is it ten years sinds Apartheid?

This case could have done with two Judges.One black and One white if we are talking about skin colour.I can't see the Black Lady Judge sending Oscar to prison.She looks to friendly to me.Or are there already three judges and all have a input?
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Roger.
I still don't get why the media is so hugely interested in a tawdry run-of-the-mill murder in a far-off country.
>>I still don't get why the media is so hugely interested in a tawdry run-of-the-mill murder in a far-off country

Because Pistorius was world famous before the case, and made history by running in the 400m and 4 x 400m relay in the able-bodied Olympics only months before the shooting?
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Meldrew
The media are interested and think that we are. Speaking personally I am not, there are more important and relevant things going on in the World!
Bombing Iraq again for a start?

But 'news' has always been like that. And a lot of people are interested.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Armel Coussine
>> a lot of people are interested.

Yes, especially in a seedy case involving sex, extreme violence and horribly mutilated limbs with prosthetic extensions. The Rastaman may feel he shouldn't be interested, but he almost certainly is.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Fenlander
Mrs F is one of the obsessed ranting every time it's on the TV. I'm totally disinterested... perhaps the Amanda Knox case took too much out of me.
I'm disinterested, but not uninterested;)

Sorry Pat, I'll consider myself chastised to save you the trouble!

Oscar Pistorius trial. - Zero
>> Bombing Iraq again for a start?
>>
>> But 'news' has always been like that. And a lot of people are interested.

'News' is not one thing, We can't fill up the gobbling monster that is the 24 hour news feed with just one item. OP qualifies as 'news' so its in there.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 9 Aug 14 at 16:44
well, not murder...
Let's wait til tomorrow.
I suspect he'll get 10 years on a culpable homicide gig
Maybe 5 years if that.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - rtj70
Open prison or community service? Certainly low security due to his disability.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - henry k
" many have forgotten that Pistorius also faces three other counts; two relating to discharging a firearm in public and one relating to illegal possession of ammunition.

The prosecution has consistently painted Pistorius as a negligent gun owner. These charges also carry potential jail time ranging from two to five years and the defence will not be treating them lightly.
Last edited by: henry k on Thu 11 Sep 14 at 23:21
I've listened to some of the judge summons.She disregarded a lot of the witnesses.

The whole situation was tragic a young women lost her live by the barrel of a gun.

He already is getting away with murder.The family Steenkamp must be scratching their heads in disbelief.

>> He already is getting away with murder.

Yes Dutchie. The judge says he was negligent. Actually he's a dangerous trigger-happy lunatic. And it really looks as if he meant to kill that girl.
>> I've listened to some of the judge summons.She disregarded a lot of the witnesses.
>>
>> The whole situation was tragic a young women lost her live by the barrel of
>> a gun.
>>
>> He already is getting away with murder.The family Steenkamp must be scratching their heads in
>> disbelief.

I have no doubt he is a nasty short tempered arrogant piece of crap, (In fact I know he is) made more so by his fame. There is also no doubt he acted like he could get away with most things, hence his criminal carelessness with guns.

But I dont think he intended to kill his gf in a premeditated way or for any gain. And lets face it the prosecution and the police made a right old horlicks of the case.

Given that, manslaughter type convictions are appropriate.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 09:04
>> But I dont think he intended to kill his gf in a premeditated way or for any gain.
>> And lets face it the prosecution and the police made a right old horlicks of the case.
>>
>> Given that, manslaughter type convictions are appropriate.
>>
I agree.
I think he just did not put his brain in gear but really panicked.
Seeing the layout of the house he could have fired a warning shot almost anywhere and shouted a warning but no he went as close as he could to that door and opened fire x 4.
I know it was dark etc but he knew the layout of the house so immediately had a considerable advantage over an intruder.

>> But I dont think he intended to kill his gf in a premeditated way or for any gain.

No, gain doesn't come into it. But are we really supposed to believe that pegleg pete thought there was a burglar in his bog when he fired four shots through the door into that tiny room? I don't. It seems obvious that he chased poor Reeva Steenkamp in there and shot her three times through the door. Three out of four, not bad eh?

I'm a bit of a gun freak myself, but I'm not a paranoid stupid celeb with a very serious castration anxiety problem. Red mist can descend even with one's nearest and dearest, so it's best not to be waving a sawed-off double-barrelled ten-bore loaded with Blue Whistlers when it happens.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Fullchat
And an upstairs bog is not the normal point of entry/exit hang out of burglars.
>> he chased poor Reeva Steenkamp in there and shot her three times through the door.

The real tragedy is that if she had had the instinct and thought he would fire through the door she could have avoided being hit at all by squeezing behind the block wall to the left of the door. Had she herself been a violent person, or capable of violence, she would probably have had that instinct. Poor woman.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Westpig
>> I have no doubt he is a nasty short tempered arrogant piece of crap, (In
>> fact I know he is) made more so by his fame. There is also no
>> doubt he acted like he could get away with most things, hence his criminal carelessness
>> with guns.
>>
>> But I dont think he intended to kill his gf in a premeditated way or
>> for any gain. And lets face it the prosecution and the police made a right
>> old horlicks of the case.

I agree with all of the above

>> Given that, manslaughter type convictions are appropriate.

I have problems with the last, but accept that it is probably the closest anyone is going to get.

He had an argument with his girlfriend, she ran into the loo and locked herself in when he went in to a temper and she got frightened, he then shot her 4 times through the door in a rage.

It wasn't a pre-meditated murder as in he'd planned if before.. but.. he was intent on doing her in from the moment he got angry and chased her across the bedroom and she locked herself in the bathroom... and she knew it or at least feared it.

I have no idea how long a thought has to be in someone's head for pre-mediation to kick in, but this case was not some simple reckless accident ..and neither did he think there was an intruder in there.

Last edited by: Westpig on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 17:55
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Slidingpillar
Pretty much my conclusions too. He's not the kind of person that would be on my Christmas card list...
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Roger.
>> Open prison or community service? Certainly low security due to his disability.
>>

He could run away!
>> >> Open prison or community service? Certainly low security due to his disability.
>> >>
>>
>> He could run away!

Not without his springs. He doesn't wear those things all the time.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - VxFan
Guilty of culpable homicide

He was also found guilty on a charge of negligently handling a firearm that went off in a restaurant.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29149581
My gut feeling he is walking away with this crime.

Has the judge being told can't send him down? Something not right here.
>> My gut feeling he is walking away with this crime.
>>
>> Has the judge being told can't send him down? Something not right here.

Don't think so, most commentators seem to be saying he will go down for 7-10 for the main crime plus another couple of years tacked on for the other firearms offences.

I have no doubt however, he will be out after three
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 17:50
Strange justice system in S/Afrika.

Judge and proper jury would have been a improvement.Has this country really moved on after apartheid.
>> Has this country really moved on after apartheid.

Not much, very cautiously. Current regime isn't very convincing. People like Pretorius are hugely privileged.

Why spell Africa with a k Dutchie? I'm sure your reasons are innocent but in some way that sets my teeth on edge. Sorry to even mention it.
Good Lord, you have to give the South Africans their due, they can certainly spin it out, THREE DAYS and counting to pass sentence.
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - J Bonington Jagworth
"THREE DAYS and counting"

They're lawyers, and probably on day-rate.

Although I'm still not clear how you can shoot at someone you believe to be there but not intend to kill them...
 Oscar Pistorius trial. - Bromptonaut
Five years for culpable homicide. Three years concurrent suspended for firearms offences.

May serve part of five years under house arrest subject to meeting certain conditions.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29700457

link added
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 21 Oct 14 at 10:40
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - legacylad
On the news that he has got an early Christmas present
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - No FM2R
Not a present he wanted though.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Zero
Santa came, and left the pressie he wanted, and then Santa quickly returned and took back everything from the toy box according to the press.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - zippy
Got everything he deserves, he knew it was her imho. She was leaving him and he had a fit of anger and killed her!
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - CGNorwich

"he knew it was her imho."

That proved to be irrelevant.

The prosecution case didn't depend on whether he knew it was his girlfriend behind the door.

Their case was that firing four shots through the door would almost certainly kill whoever was there. It would have still been murder even if an intruder rather than his girlfriend had been there. The Supreme Court agreed.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Ian (Cape Town)
Dolus Eventualis - which the prosecution wanted all along.

Anyway, much rejoicing by some in the office, who know him (and knew Reeva) and thing he is an arrogant git.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Dog
He got his comeuppance in other words.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Ian (Cape Town)
Well, dog, he has 'got away with' a lot of stuff in the past - understandable, given his condition - and as such had some sort of belief that he could not be blamed for anything whatsoever.

He had a famous toy-throwing incident when he lost out in the paralympics to a chap who was better than him.

Also, in the trial, he was accused of, and found guilty of, negligently discharging firearms on two occasions. He denied both.
The judge today was pretty damn scathing of him as a witness, as was the prosecution in the original trial - he denied, obfuscated, blamed everyone else etc etc etc.

Incredibly sad story from all points of view.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Dog
>>Incredibly sad story from all points of view.

Especially for the parents of a beautiful young woman murdered in the prime of her life.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Armel Coussine
>> Incredibly sad story from all points of view.

Yes. He's not the nastiest man in the world although he's not at all nice. But he has more excuse than most not-very-nice people for being like that. However he did murder that poor girl in a fit of rage.

I've 'negligently discharged firearms' more than once, to my shame. Damn nearly killed my car once, just missed it with a buckshot round... Thinking back, there are several moments I remember when something really bad could have happened, usually with rifled weapons.

I do like firearms though. Time to unwrap the trusty and ancient hammerlock 12-bore perhaps. A cousin here has a proper hammerless 12 bore, a 30-06 and a .223, and there's an ordinary .22 long rifle for rabbits and squirrels. Shorter cartridges are available for it. He's afraid of ricochets, but I'm not.

Yeee-hah! Best stand well clear.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 3 Dec 15 at 17:57
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - MD
Avoid the .22 for the reason you state. They are not prone to ricochet, they DO ricochet and are a pain in the rear end for that reason alone.

As for pised orey arsses family they can save a quid now as they will be having a smaller Turkey this Christmas!

I hope he rots. Ruddy waster.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - legacylad
Me too MD. tin worm is too good for him. An old friend of mine lives in Joburg and she is very, very happy with this development. Not entirely unexpected she tells me.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Dutchie
He deserves to go to the nick for a long time.Bad tempered coward.Mrs Steenkamp was dignified in her summing up how many people this thug hurt.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - smokie
£450 bail? Doesn't sound like much does it!!

I see he's studying law... twitter.com/karynmaughan/status/674149502652129280
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 8 Dec 15 at 09:11
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - Robin O'Reliant
>> £450 bail? Doesn't sound like much does it!!
>>
>>
They've put a cattle grid outside his house.
 Merry Christmas Oscar P - henry k
>> He deserves to go to the nick for a long time.Bad tempered coward.
>>Mrs Steenkamp was dignified in her summing up how many people this thug hurt.
>>
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35720684

Oscar Pistorius denied leave to appeal for Steenkamp murder
Prosecutors are believed to be targeting a sentence of at least 15 years in jail for Pistorius.

Prosecutor rips Oscar's defence a new a****** - Ian (Cape Town)
www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/nel-brings-up-oscarpistorius-temper-tantrums-2034070

... psychologist Professor Jonathan Scholtz to testify.

Scholtz said Pistorius' deteriorating mental health meant that he should not serve a prison sentence for the murder, and be given an opportunity to do community service and charity work instead. He also said Pistorius wasn't mentally well enough to testify during these proceedings.

Later, under cross-examination:
Scholtz said he did not know.
Scholtz said he wasn't aware of these incidents.
(Oscar) have been hiding illegal medicine in his prison cell, a fact Scholtz was also unaware of.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Jun 16 at 01:42
 Prosecutor rips Oscar's defence a new a****** - No FM2R
Mmm, that could have gone better!

Somebody ought to get a slap for their preparation levels.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Jun 16 at 01:43
 Oscar "blade runner" - VxFan
He's been given six years for Reeva Steenkamp's murder.

Pistorius has already served one year in jail over his previous conviction.

He is legally obliged to serve half of his new sentence in prison before being eligible for parole.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-36719561
 Oscar "blade runner" - No FM2R
Either it was murder. in which case why didn't he get the "minimum" which is a lot more than 6 years? Or it wasn't murder, in which case why did he get as much as 6 years?

It makes no sense.

Especially when you can get two years for tax dodging....

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36721892
>> Either it was murder. in which case why didn't he get the "minimum" which is
>> a lot more than 6 years? Or it wasn't murder, in which case why did
>> he get as much as 6 years?
>>
>> It makes no sense.

Minimum is 15.
The judge is a moron.
State due to appeal sentence, I believe.
 Oscar "blade runner" - No FM2R
I see Oscar's lawyers said that they were not going to appeal the sentence! I bet they b***** weren't.
 Oscar "blade runner" - Dutchie
The judge is out of her depth or terrified to send a white boy murderer a long time to the nick.

There should have been another judge on the second trial.
 Oscar "blade runner" - zippy
6 years, out in 3 is too light, even for negligent manslaughter and this is murder.

It sends totally the wrong message and justice is not seen to be done.

There are exceptional cases where lenient sentences are appropriate -IMHO, this isn't one of them.
 Suicide attempt - breaking news. - Ian (Cape Town)
Oscar Pistorius was rushed to Pretoria’s Kalafong Hospital yesterday after sustaining injuries to his wrists in jail.

While correctional services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo said the Paralympian told authorities he had injured himself after falling out of bed, an inmate situated close to the hospital section told City Press that Pistorius had injured himself intentionally.

Two warders with knowledge of the hospital section said blades were subsequently found in Pistorius’ cell during a search on Saturday afternoon.

Two security guards at Kalafong Hospital, which is situated east of Pretoria, told City Press on Saturday that Pistorius was admitted at 12:30.

“He had bad cuts on his wrists and the doctors kept wrapping bandages around them,” said one.

Pistorius, they said, was being guarded at the hospital by more than 10 warders.

Oh my!
It must be gutting watching all the stuff from Rio, thinking 'Mmmm, that could've been ME!'

No sympathy for the woman murdering puker.
 Suicide attempt - breaking news. - Dog
I have three heavy-duty Stanley blades. I'll need a couple for when I fit some new felt to my shed on Sunny Tuesday.

That leaves one very, very sharp blade, which I am more-than willing to donate for a good cause.
Latest Forum Posts