Non-motoring > Fitting out a new garage (or two) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 5

Fitting out a new garage (or two) - hawkeye
As part of our ongoing building project, I find I am the proud owner of 3 garages. The prefab concrete one will disappear in time but I need to kit out the 2 new garages with storage and a bench each. The Telegraph has an offer for some bench and storage kits from Big Dug; are these any good? Has anyone any experience or recommendations for me from the likes of Screwfix? Building a bench and shelves from scratch aren't an option for me at present.

TIA.
 Fitting out a new garage (or two) - TeeCee
I reckon a "must have" is a good, solid, old skool heavy wooden bench. Hardwood if possible. Attached to it with coachbolts should be a large vice.

Other benches can be "whatever", but a big wooden one with a vice is essential. We're talking the sort of arrangement where dropping a halfshaft through the vice jaws so that the bearing sits on the vice gives you something solid enough to use a six pound clubhammer and some serious welly on.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been grateful for that arrangement.
 Fitting out a new garage (or two) - legacylad
I began using Rapid 1 & 2, medium & heavy duty shelving, blue & orange, in my warehouse many years ago. Very easy to adjust shelf heights, install and perfect for my business requirements.
When I sold said business I kept several of the units and installed in one half of my double garage. They were 'bolted' back to back for stability and are a perfect size for me to walk around.
When its stopped snowing I'll venture out and look at the dimensions!
 Fitting out a new garage (or two) - legacylad
I have four units, each 6' x 2', 6'6" tall. Three shelves per unit. 3 fixed together lengthwise, one across the end thus forming an 'island' unit of 8' x 6' in one side of the double garage. Very stable. At the far end of the garage is an old oak cabinet,4 drawers, salvaged from the depths of time, with a large vice bolted on top.
Plus a 5' tubular heater to take the chill off, left on a timer under the engine bay when we have sub zero temps.
Perfick.
 Fitting out a new garage (or two) - Cliff Pope
You cannot have too many shelves, to put all the things on that will otherwise live on your solid workbench.
Then when the shelves and the workbench are full, you need another shed.
 Fitting out a new garage (or two) - Bigtee
Lin Bins are easier to use they do metal and plastic sheets with the clips on and the boxes for screws & nuts/bolts etc.

Magnetic rails and don't forget to paint the floor first much easier to sweep the dust up.!

Wooden benches are good & e bay is a good source of benches have a look.

Lighting is a must so position your lighting well to suit your jobs.
Latest Forum Posts