Non-motoring > Helicopter crashes into crane in London Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 45

Helicopter crashes into crane in London - VxFan

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21040410
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Zero
Opps wrong thread.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 Jan 13 at 09:28
Is it just me, or is 9-11 the first thing that pops into your head when you read the headline.

Who's chopper is it? Hope its not the Air Ambulance or the old bill. If its not I guess it came out of Battersea heliport.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - DP
>> Is it just me, or is 9-11 the first thing that pops into your head
>> when you read the headline.

The exact same thing entered my head when it came through as breaking news on the radio while driving in this morning.

Sign of the times.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Pat
Ian is trying to get to Silverthorne Road Battersea at the moment, heading for Chelsea Bridge as a diversion route.

Pat
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - movilogo
Apparently pilot did not see the crane in fog (as in daily mail).

Why helicopters are allowed to fly in fog whereas aircrafts are often groudned in fog?

Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Bromptonaut
>> Apparently pilot did not see the crane in fog (as in daily mail).
>>
>> Why helicopters are allowed to fly in fog whereas aircrafts are often groudned in fog?

Helicopters are subject to rules as well.

Given the location, casualty numbers and issues raised I suspect this will be subject to a full AAIB inquiry. That process will take a year or more but will determine exactly what the facts are and whether any further changes to regulation/reporting are required.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Alanovich
>> Is it just me, or is 9-11 the first thing that pops into your head
>> when you read the headline.

My first thoughts hearing it on the radio this morning were - 1) I hope nobody's been killed, 2) I hope nobody's too badly hurt, 3) I expect it's just a horrible accident, 4) Hope it's not terrorism and there's no more to come. 5), I hope nobody I know is involved.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - RattleandSmoke
Sounds like it could have been much much worse, a helicopter crashing in central London.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - DP
The apartment building where one of the girls in our office lives is about 100yds from a piece of burning wreckage in one of the shots on the BBC News website.

Her still-sleeping flatmate was woken by the crash, and evacuated by police a few moments later.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - zookeeper
the pilot would have been IFR rated (instrument flying) so fog not a problem, however knowing it was foggy and in a built up area he should have known about any temporary tall structures on his NOTAMS ( notice to airmen ) report. my monies on pilot error
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - TeeCee
Mine too. It's already been stated that the crane hit was indeed on the latest NOTAM bulletins.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - rtj70
It was probably pilot error. The crane was nearly as tall as the tower. Perhaps he thought he knew the area but had not known about the construction. We might never know why he struck it apart from the thick fog... he'd asked to land at Battersea Heliport. Probably wouldn't have taken off had he known thick fog on his route.
>> the pilot would have been IFR rated (instrument flying) so fog not a problem, however
>> knowing it was foggy and in a built up area he should have known about
>> any temporary tall structures on his NOTAMS ( notice to airmen ) report. my monies
>> on pilot error

Even under IFR there are restrictions on getting close to ground in poor visibility. Not sure how those bear on choppers bit fixed wing planes will have minimum descent altitudes ad decision hieght or altitude to contend with. No contact with ground at MDA then no lower.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 16 Jan 13 at 12:09
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Robin O'Reliant
Very sad with two fatalities and all that, but the BBC are milking it for all it's worth with non stop coverage, most of it repeated every five minutes because there's really nothing to report other than what is already known. I know there's a bit of paranoia when it comes to aircraft accidents, but two dead on the M25 wouldn't rate a mention apart from Sally Traffic's updates.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - madf
The BBC have got to cover it to justify the fact their news staff is 5 times larger than needed.. See Olympics etc.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - movilogo
Hope UKIP will abolish TV license.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - BobbyG
To be fair to the BBC, they probably already had all these reporters on the ground ready for live updates on the latest bit of frost that might have landed in SE England..........
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Bigtee
I thought single engine aircraft are not able to fly over London but as this is a chopper the rules maybe different.

BBMF Spitfires have to seek permision to do it.

That Mini driving in the video is going to go bang next with the flames under it.

God rest there soals.
Last edited by: Bigtee on Wed 16 Jan 13 at 13:54
>> I thought single engine aircraft are not able to fly over London but as this
>> is a chopper the rules maybe different.

Single engine choppers generally have to stay over the river.
This wasn't a single engine helicopter and being flown by an experienced pilot.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - helicopter
Very sad indeed .

The pilot has been named as Pete Barnes who flew freelance for Rotormotion at Redhill, a very well respected professional pilot. ......

More information on the Rotorheads Pprune website if you want professional opinions rather than the carp on the news....

RIP.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - R.P.
Sorry H - I was just wondering whether you knew the pilot..
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - helicopter
Rob - I did not know him but by all accounts a top guy....

The early photos showed a BMW RT motorcycle having toppled over at the scene - hope the biker wasn't amongst the casualties.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Westpig
>> The early photos showed a BMW RT motorcycle having toppled over at the scene -
>> hope the biker wasn't amongst the casualties.
>>

A mate of mine has updated me on some of this.

A biker had a truly miraculous escape (if you can call a broken leg that). Can't go in to too much more unfortunately....other than only two deaths was absolutely amazing.
It is amazing no more serious injuries or casualties. We can all come up with scenarios.

I wonder if the pilot was taken ill and wanted/needed to land? Makes no difference as to the cause etc. A tragic series of events.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Westpig
>> I wonder if the pilot was taken ill and wanted/needed to land? Makes no difference
>> as to the cause etc. A tragic series of events.
>>

Couldn't land at intended airport due to poor visibility...Elstree, so diverted elsewhere is what BBC site says

Battersea helicopter landing site?...which is very near crash site.

Poor visibility at Battersea as well? Got to land somewhere? Go round again and hit high crane?
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Fullchat
A number of years ago I completed an Air Observers Course at Northumbria Police. A Squirrel Helicopter + Pilot was hired in for the actual flight training. The aircraft and Pilot's normal duties were 'eye in the sky' road traffic reports. The Pilot - one Capt Pete Barnes.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Dutchie
That must have ben a shock to you Fullchat to find out this was the same Pilot who was killed.

Bad vicibility is one of the worst situations to be in be it in a airplane or ship.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - BobbyG
>>Bad vicibility is one of the worst situations to be in be it in a airplane or ship

or a car.

Twice in my driving life I have been driving when the fog was so thick I had to drive first gear slow.

Once was on the M74 and a quick risk assessment said that it would be safer to try and keep going rather than try and find the hard shoulder and park up.
Bad visibility is not good for anything thats moving that you have control over. Trains are more immune than most, but even then - if drivers cant see signals they get delayed.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Armel Coussine
Since the pilots' union has now said much the same thing, I feel I can admit that I am surprised this doesn't happen more often. The proliferation of very tall buildings in a huge town subject sometimes to low cloud and mist must make helicoptering around London more hazardous. And the spindly cranes with their long jibs moving about, trailing what must be virtually invisible cables, has to pose a risk to any low-flying aircraft.

There seems to be some suggestion that the crash was caused by mechanical failure rather than pilot error. Either way, people on the ground got off lightly with smallish bits of helicopter showering down over a wide area. It might have come down in one piece and landed on a bus.

Minicabbing in the seventies I used to drive down that road several times a day.
Just interviewed the crane driver chap on PM now - very, very lucky - he was for once in his life late for work...seems he had just parked his bike and was taking his helmet off when all hell broke loose.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 17 Jan 13 at 17:43
I bet they still dock his pay.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Mike Hannon
Quite right too. His misdemeanour has nothing to do with the unfortunate event. I expect he believes his life is worth a few quid.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - VxFan
If they do, I'm sure he'll be able to sell his survival story to the papers.
Interim report of facts known to date.

www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/AAIB%20S1-2013%20G-CRST.pdf

>> Interim report of facts known to date.
>> www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/AAIB%20S1-2013%20G-CRST.pdf
>>

Won't open atm; suspect interest has overloaded the website.
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - henry k
>>Won't open atm; suspect interest has overloaded the website.
I got it at second attempt
 Helicopter crashes into crane in London - Pat
Thanks for posting that Z, it throws a rather different light on the BBC's stock reporting of 'the pilot was warned not to fly'

Pat
>> Thanks for posting that Z, it throws a rather different light on the BBC's stock
>> reporting of 'the pilot was warned not to fly'
>>
>> Pat

I agree. The 'warning' consisted of advice not to leave until client was at Elstree. As pilot already had engines running he chose to fly there for a look/see. It was indeed fogbound and he never went below 1000' AMSL (approx 700'above airfield elevation.

His problems occurred when he tried to divert to Battersea rather than return to Redhill.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 24 Jan 13 at 10:49
>> Thanks for posting that Z, it throws a rather different light on the BBC's stock
>> reporting of 'the pilot was warned not to fly'
>>
>> Pat

Yeah they were also heavy on the "pilot texting shock" angle.
 Helicopter crashes in London - AAIB Report Out - Bromptonaut
AAIB report on this accident published today.

www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/3-2014%20G-CRST.pdf

No tome to read in full, just scanned conclusion which is in a nutshell pilot error.

Main recommendations seem to focus on notification of obstacles etc close to routes such as those chopper was using.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 9 Sep 14 at 07:43
 Helicopter crashes in London - AAIB Report Out - R.P.
Funnily enough, tonight was watching a camo Sea King orbiting on the way home tonight, I thought there was some trouble but watched it land on at a Special Forces place on the Island...seemed to be hard work for some reason
 Helicopter crashes in London - AAIB Report Out - Zero

>> Main recommendations seem to focus on notification of obstacles etc close to routes such as
>> those chopper was using.

I was surprised that Councils/Unity Authorities don't have to notify the CAA about obstacles
Latest Forum Posts