Non-motoring > New UPVC windows Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mr. Ecs Replies: 11

New UPVC windows - Mr. Ecs
Has anyone got either triple glazed units or acoustic glazing. Which is best for blocking noise, or are they both adequate? Experiences please.
 New UPVC windows - Bromptonaut
What sort of noise?

Solution for aircraft noise may not be same as for traffic.
 New UPVC windows - Dave_
I stayed in the Premier Inn next to London City airport once - it had triple glazed windows which completely masked the noise of adjacent small/medium aircraft movements. The only sound intrusion was the very low frequency rumble which seemed to come through the fabric of the building itself.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 13 Jan 13 at 23:27
 New UPVC windows - Mr. Ecs
Both aircraft and road. Particularly NOISEY exhausts in the early hours.
 New UPVC windows - CGNorwich
Standard gap in double glazed windows is now 20mm which should give quite a high level of sound insulation. Triple glazing isn't necessarily better as the gap betweens individual panes is quite a lot less than 20mm.

If you already have double glazing and it it sis not sufficient to cut out the noise the best solution might be to add some secondary double glazing which would also be a lot cheaper.

New UPVC windows - Boxsterboy
My wife's surgery has Swedish triple-glazed timber-framed windows. Along with very good insulation of the timber-framed building means that they rarely need any form of heating - the lights and working bodies seem to be enough. But even first thing this morning after low (but not freezing) overnight temperatures it was not at all cold. The sound insulation is good too.

For longevity, I would try to avoid UPVC-framed windows. Coated aluminium would be my preference, if timber is too pricey.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Tue 15 Jan 13 at 14:51
 New UPVC windows - henry k
For longevity, I would try to avoid UPVC-framed windows. Coated aluminium would be my preference, if timber is too pricey.

> We chose aluminium but mainly because the frames are so much neater and so much thiner, in some cases half as thick as PVCu.
Something the DG salesmen never point out is that the vast majority of opening windows have no stays but friction hinges. This mean you have to lean out of the window to some extent in order to close them.
My advice is to ensure that top opening small windows are not too small else you might need steps when closing them.
Kitchen windows with a 24" work surface in front can also be a challenge.

Sound proof. Best I have experienced is in one of the hanger buildings at Hatton Cross Heathrow. The gap was about 18" between the glass panes and only Concorde passing by could be heard. All other aicraft seemed silent - spooky!
 New UPVC windows - CGNorwich
"The gap was about 18" between the glass panes"

That is why secondary double glazing can be the most successful option for sound insulation.

Coupled with standard double glazing it is really effective.
 New UPVC windows - henry k
You can always recognise houses, near Heathrow etc, that have had noise reduction DG fitted ( usually by the council or BAA ) by the twin square grills in the middle of the wall under the windows. These are air exchange units as of course the windows should not be opened to let the noise in.
 New UPVC windows - Zero
I thought they were the feeding hatches for the inmates.
 New UPVC windows - madf
>> I thought they were the feeding hatches for the inmates.
>>

Anyone who lives near Heathrow need daily feeding for depression and suicidal tendencies...
 New UPVC windows - Boxsterboy
I have surveyed a couple of houses in Hounslow, directly under the flight path. Convenient if you work at Heathroww and cheap, yes, but I would rather live further afield and travel further to work.
Latest Forum Posts