Non-motoring > Weather related thread - Volume 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 100

Weather related thread - Volume 1 - R.P.
***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

Frozen solid here - Classic Jack Frost stuff. Off today - CAB had made a 4 day error with my leave this year - so taking them now. Beemer ticking over on the drive (locked of course) - Doggie run in a minute and Christmas shopping I think in Llandudno...another brew beckons though...love slow time days !
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 19:51

Weather related thread. - Pat
It's -6C here this morning but 34.9F in the greenhouse so I can see why the rats have decided to go in for a warm!

Just had a phone call from Ian who is trying to get into London on the A40, to say a woman has just missed her sliproad and tried to cut across the back of his trailer. She managed to catch the nearside of the trailer, rip out a headlight on her car and the bumper is hanging off one side.

She didn't stop though, just carried on up the slip road and away...he has reported it to the office just in case, but it seems the silly season has started already:)

Women drivers are useless!

Pat

Weather related thread. - Kevin
>It's -6C here this morning

It was -6C when we landed at Gatwick this morning. We stood watching an empty luggage carousel for more than an hour because the latches on the plane's cargo doors were supposedly frozen.

It was over 30C when we left Cuba 9 hours earlier.

Weather related thread. - Zero
>> >It's -6C here this morning
>>
>> It was -6C when we landed at Gatwick this morning. We stood watching an empty
>> luggage carousel for more than an hour because the latches on the plane's cargo doors
>> were supposedly frozen.
>>
>> It was over 30C when we left Cuba 9 hours earlier.

You were lucky you landed, the freezing fog nearly diverted you.

And I need to have a word with you about Cuba, going to take the missus there for our wedding anniversary
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 12 Dec 12 at 20:45

>And I need to have a word with you about Cuba, going to take the missus there for our
>wedding anniversary.

No problem, ask away either here or via email. Get there before the yanks do.

Weather related thread. - henry k
>> >And I need to have a word with you about Cuba, going to take the
>> missus there for our
>> >wedding anniversary.
>>
>> No problem, ask away either here or via email. Get there before the yanks do.
>>
Zero did you see.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pfvns/This_World_Cuba_with_Simon_Reeve/

An odd sort of cove but some interesting backgroundstuff
He seems to agree with get there ASAP.

I did yes, Looks we will go July 2013, thinking of a two centre holiday, Havana and a resort.

After the trip to Marakesh I have booked in for March. 7 nights and return flights, 280 quid each.

Weather related thread. - CGNorwich
Needn't go to Cuba. Margate is the new travel hot-spot. Book now before prices soar.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20716213

Its a ploy to divert people from Ramsgate

It's the chasndave effect.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4-lxrTK-8
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 20:22

>Needn't go to Cuba. Margate is the new travel hot-spot.

Why would you want to take a holiday somewhere where the laws are dreamed up by an unelected group of apparatchiks?

Somewhere where the citizens are spied upon 24/7 by an army of state employees?

Somewhere where you are punished for leaving your bin out on the wrong day but not if you destroy the country's economy?

Give me Cuba any day.

;-)
 Weather related thread. - Auntie Lockbrakes
Is Marrakech safe, Z?! ;-)

Who did you book through? Might see you there!

Update: A summons has arrived at his employers today (requesting details of the driver of the vehicle) for failing to stop after an accident.

This one is going to be interesting.

Pat

>> Update: A summons has arrived at his employers today (requesting details of the driver of
>> the vehicle) for failing to stop after an accident.
>>
>> This one is going to be interesting.
>>
>> Pat

Sounds like the woman has given her fella a load of old pony abut how it happened after he found the family car damaged...

Weather related thread. - Fullchat
Pat you said he reported it to the office. Did he report it to the Police?

Weather related thread. - R.P.
Is it a S172 Notice Pat - not a summons ?

He reported it to the office who agreed that as no other person had stopped and no damage to the trailer had happened, a phone call would surely follow from the other person if she wanted to pursue it.

No call has been received.

RP, it's a NIP/CTS9 and has been returned to them with Ians details as the driver.

Alleged offences are:
Failing to stop after a collision
Failing to report a collision

The collision is recorded as at: A40 E-bound On-slip Denham junction Bucks.

Pat

she's going to claim its Ian's fault. I can see that one coming as clear as day

Weather related thread. - John H
>> The collision is recorded as at: A40 E-bound On-slip Denham junction Bucks.
>>

Here goo.gl/maps/DxPf7 ?

I suspect it's Junction 1 where the M40 becomes the A40 because Ian mentioned chevrons last night. I'll ask when he gets home though.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that's what's going to happen Z.

Pat

Weather related thread. - rtj70
But if the damage is to the front of her car... she ran into the back of something. Therefore her fault surely even if we didn't know all the facts.

Weather related thread. - Crankcase
Was once with a colleague (him driving his car), stopped at traffic lights and car in front dropped nicely into reverse at the green. Bang.

Damage to front of car isn't a guarantee it's your fault, although it might make the argument more difficult.

Weather related thread. - John H
I am finding it hard to visualise what happened.

Was the woman going off-slip as in OP, or joining on-slip as implied by the summons?
How did she manage to get the lorry details?
How did Ian see the damage to her car?
When/how did Ian check the non-damage to his lorry? (Did he stop at the scene?)

It would be useful to read more details of the incident (if it is possible for Pat to anonymise them as it is a current Police case, and post them on a new thread).

I'll do that when we get the results of the form which was returned yesterday.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 9 Jan 13 at 10:31

Pat

There are some issues worthy of discussion here. If you wish to discuss please contact via Mods.

My email is pat.nicolson@tiscali.co.uk Fullchat.

I'd welcome any advice on it.

Thanks

Pat

E-mail sent.

Weather related thread. - Focusless
Was standing around playing carols with the band in Reading town centre for an hour and a half last night, and as a clarinetist I couldn't wear gloves. Gosh it was cold!

Mmm made me thing - I was a cellist as a spotty youth, then a percussionist...been umming and ahhing about doing something musical - a clarinet sounds nice...

>> clarinet sounds nice...

Lots of options for joining groups, starter instruments are relatively cheap (compared to a cello!), and you can always move on to sax if the clarinet is too 'straight'. It suits me :)

Bitten the bullet -- got a nice little Yamaha for half its retail on the fleabay...brush up on my music reading skills now.

Weather related thread. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Bitten the bullet -- got a nice little Yamaha for half its retail on the
>> fleabay...brush up on my music reading skills now.
>>
My old DT175 used to sing like a good 'un at full throttle.

Weather related thread. - Dog
What, a Cello or a Clarinet??

Clarinet - the spike on the 'Cello hurt my neck....

The "Acker" of Anglesey.

:}

>> Bitten the bullet -- got a nice little Yamaha for half its retail on the
>> fleabay...brush up on my music reading skills now.

Nice - which one? Student (250) or something higher up the range?

Weather related thread. - Runfer D'Hills
I bought my son a Yamaha electronic drum kit recently. It can be played through an amp and speakers but thank the Lord it can also be played through headphones. You can also wire it up to an ipod and play along with whatever takes your fancy.

Secretly, I'm trying to learn that Phil Collins / Ape on the drums thing when he's not around...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy52yueBX_s&gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 27 Dec 12 at 18:16

26ii Focus. I researched a bit - there were cheaper ones and there were more expensive ones - this seems to be a mid-range starter one and easily sold on if I don't manage to work it !

Weather related thread. - Meldrew
Good effort Focusless. I hope you collected loads of money for your efforts. I got B cold this morning, with gloves on, on a 10 minute walk to get my paper! ISTR somebody describing a clarinet as "An ill wind that nobody blows good" but you are obviously beyond that stage!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 12 Dec 12 at 10:18

>> Good effort Focusless. I hope you collected loads of money for your efforts.

Don't know to be honest, but it wasn't that busy. Only got pestered by 2 vagrants.
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/carols.jpg

>> ISTR somebody describing a clarinet as "An ill wind that nobody blows good" but
>> you are obviously beyond that stage!

Err... well I sound better when I can tell what my fingers are doing :)
 Weather related thread. - Ted

I was very musical....I used to play on the linoleum as a child.

I'll get...etc.

Ted
 Weather related thread. - Dutchie
Nice sound the clarinet.Two uncles of mine used to play in a band.One the trombone one the trompet.Cold here in Yorkshire icy roads rain forecast for weekend.

"Nice sound the clarinet"

Especially when played by Artie Shaw

Weather related thread. - Roger.
....and Benny Goodman, Johnny Crocker (I first saw him at the Nottingham Rhythm Club, venue - The Trent Bridge Inn, guesting with the resident semi-pro band in, oh, 1957/58 ish), Monty Sunshine and yes, Acker Bilk in his pre (awful) stranger-on-the shore, days!

Weather related thread. - Armel Coussine
Sidney Bechet, one of the first and greatest clarinet players. And Dave Brubeck's long-time collaborator Paul Desmond. Bechet played soprano sax sometimes I think.

Weather related thread. - Meldrew
Sid Philips had a strong following and John Crocker finished up playing with Chris Barber. Barber is 82 and still touring - dates for 2013 here www.ents24.com/web/artist/289/The_Big_Chris_Barber_Band.html

>> Especially when played by Artie Shaw

You've probably already seen it, but there's a great documentary, 'Artie Shaw - Quest for Perfection', which gets an airing on BBC2/4 every now and again. Well worth catching if you haven't.

Weather related thread. - DP
Hasn't gone above zero since Sunday here. Lengthy "pre-heating, please wait" messages on the 320d display in both the mornings and evenings, and my 20 mile commute is no longer enough to get the oil temp up to its normal 100 deg C

Weather related thread. - mikeyb
Slight frost here this morning. Popped out for lunch (from work) and by 5ish car was frosted up again.

Volvo heats up and defrosts very quickly though, so not a massive hardship, just a surprise to find it frosted up so early

Weather related thread. - madf
-5C at 7am yesterday. 0C was the warmest it got all day.

-5C this am during morning run... Hat pulled tightly over ears to avoid freezing them. Rest of me very warm.

Not really cold (yet) compared to winters of 2010 and 2011 - both of which saw -18C...

Minus 39° here in Novosibirsk.

I always have Novosibirsk as one of my favourites on the BBC weather site. Makes me feel warmer! (It's 33 there now)

-7 in N.E. Notts.

Weather related thread. - Bromptonaut
>> Good effort Focusless. I hope you collected loads of money for your efforts. I got
>> B cold this morning, with gloves on, on a 10 minute walk to get my
>> paper! ISTR somebody describing a clarinet as "An ill wind that nobody blows good" but
>> you are obviously beyond that stage!

Mrs B insists the 'ill wind nobody blows good' applies to the oboe - her instrument.

It's a nice instrument. Our oboe player played in Cats in London for over 10 years, and he made a lovely sound. Unfortunately he died last year, and his replacements (who I sit next to) are more your typical amateur band musicians :)

At least it's not shrill and squeaky!

www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/flooding-cause-anger-and-grief/20121219

rt.com/news/russia-freeze-cold-temperature-379/

:(

>> I hope you collected loads of money for your efforts.

£547 over the 2 sessions (Reading town centre and Asda, Lower Earley), for Duchess of Kent House hospice who are based in Berks. So worth the odd bit of frostbite :)
Travelled to Cardiff today (this time by train) - I was horrified to see the saturated fields and torrents of water in the rivers - brought it home to me.

Weather related thread. - No FM2R
This weather is affecting my driving pleasure and my leisure time.

Just went out to go to a bar for some much needed sustenance and find its 43 degrees in the car. So, that'll be the car out front with the aircon running for 20 minutes and then driving with my finger tips.

I hate the weather in January.

Garden looks a bit white this morning, but it hasn't settled on the patio. Anyone got proper snow?

Weather related thread. - PeterS
A dusting here too, and still snowing...just!! It's settled on the cars and garden, but the drive and road is still clear :-(

Nawt here - mild weather system in charge - slightly damp on the morning walk, although I was wrapped up for a cutting easterly it was as mild as a mild thing. Winter plan, car-wise, put into place last night with the Beemer staying at home and the Fiesta good to go.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 07:18

Weather related thread. - Dave_
A couple of cm coverage near E Mids airport this morning, cars and pavements coated but road surfaces clear. Local traffic webcams showing no unusual disruption.

>> A couple of cm coverage near E Mids airport this morning, cars and pavements coated
>> but road surfaces clear. Local traffic webcams showing no unusual disruption.

Feels like that here in S Northants too atm. An inch or so of fine wettish stuff but more predicted for later.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 07:39

Weather related thread. - Old Navy
I was amused (easily done) by a Sky News presenter stood in a partial dusting of snow trying to hype up the snowfall and pending disastrous disruption.

wet white slop on cars and grass only here. Roads just wet, gritters were working overtime round here yesterday evening, don't see a potential problem.

About an inch here on the Notts./Yorks borders.
As I sit here in my PJs and dressing gown, having just finished my scrambled eggs, I think of all you wage slaves and am happy I don't have to go out!

I'm still in bed....

Weather related thread. - -
Here in dressing gown just finished first tea, SWM will be making real whole porridge any moment yum.

Life's good, about 1/2 inch snow outside hopefully gone soon cos i'm back to work tomorrow for a whole 4 days..;)

We have an inch of fine snow everywhere, and the birds have been fed with Muesli, sultanas, shredded suet and some high protein seed already.

I padded up the garden path in dressing gown and Ian's size 12 trainers:)

I do haute couture very well.

Pat

Snow was lying here at midnight but raining now. Going to Berlin later though. That may well be a bit colder...

Pictorial evidence for haute couture required, Pat ;-)

You really wouldn't want to see that Roger;)

Pat

I'm sitting ere listening to Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30, followed by Ride of the Valkyries after aving eaten a vegetarian break fast of 2 fried eggz on toast.

(Hehehe!)

Weather related thread. - BobbyG
Sun is shining in Glasgow which I am happy about.
Wouldn't want my all season tyres to be getting cold y'know.....

Weather related thread. - -
Thats it i want a pick up again, and a set of these.

www.trucktracks.com/TrackN_Go_Video.html

Great off road.. in Switzerland...

Weather related thread. - Ted

Raining here now but was fairly white when I hit the sack at midnight, Just slushy on the windscreens. Nothing on the ground.

Gas engineer in...no heating yesterday although it came on when SWM ran a bath. Told them a month ago that I thought it was probably the wax capsule. This guy confirms it and has just gone to get some seals, which don't seem to come with the new part.

Off into town when he's done. Got a couple of jobs to look at.

Ted

In deepest darkest North Staffs where the sun never shines and the population is height restricted due to the smoke from a million coal fires and a lack of nutrition.. it is snowing...

but it is slushy and melting quickly... Which is just as well as the roads have not been gritted.

The Staffies can walk around without their chest growing frozen from ploughing through the snow...

Weather related thread. - four wheels good...
Staffs Moorlands, about 2" of snow, now only sleet, some disruption to traffic on roads into Stoke. More snow forecast then turning to rain.

It's been snowing here in Chertsey for a good hour now, but it's not settling.

Light covering at home (Surrey/Hants border) overnight.

Roads were awful this morning, but it was nothing to do with the snow. My 20 mile commute took me a wonderful 1hr 45 mins.

I'm 4 miles south from you, its stopped here

Still coming down, although it's looking slightly sleety now. Big fat white flakes until about 15 mins ago.

S'no snow on my beach:

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074

There was some on the grass earlyish this morning, looking like heavy frost. It's all gone now.

Snowing in Central London ATM.

Weather related thread. - Fenlander
Just started again here in west cambs... 100% to time as shown on the "will it rain today" website.

Out early in the Alfa on the largely untouched first snow this morning... slippery but no real depth. Like a big Mini (old type) feeling quite planted with direct steering.

Sun's got his hat on here - bit chilly by now though.

Got to drive to Gatport Airwick from Cheshire this PM in the LEC. Anyone care to dance ?!

:-)

Weather related thread. - sherlock47
South Herts - constant light snow falling, but not settling on roads.

Turned to sleet for a bit, then to rain, then back to sleet, now back to big white flakes of snow again.

just rain here.

Bright and 8° ere.

:-))

Stopped here & clear skies now.

Enormous flakes here and coming down with a purpose, about 1.5'' on the patio.

...but I have fat and happy Blackbirds and Wagtails!

Pat

>> fat and happy Blackbirds and Wagtails!

'Oh look, a ghastly jay,' herself said yesterday. It was near the little cage full of seeds she hung up the other day for the sort of little birds she likes. I think jays are handsome, but then so are all the crows, even magpies. But in a garden sometimes handsome is as handsome doesn't, innit?

There's been a woodpecker or even two hammering away in recent days. Are they a bit early? The weather's been so weird everything is getting mistimed. I don't think anything has been hibernating.

>> The weather's been so weird everything is getting mistimed. I don't think anything
>> has been hibernating.
>>

Indeed. We've had strong birdsong morning and evening for over a week. Last weekend the grass in the verges was sprouting green.

All got a shock yesterday and today.

Old woodie was pecking away here yesterday as well - Daffodils in full bloom on the verges.

Weather related thread. - corax
>> I think jays are handsome

Jays are handsome but they make a noise like scratching finger nails across a blackboard. Eeech!

Weather related thread. - No FM2R
Very sunny and 32° here.

Weather related thread. - PeterS
>> Very sunny and 32° here.
>>

Sunny, though it's beginning to set, and 36° here now, albeit that's Fahrenheit ;-)

Latest Forum Posts