Non-motoring > Silicone spray for double glazing slides Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 23

Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Ambo
I understand silicone spray is the best lubricant for double glazing slides (and, inciedntally, that WD40 should not be used for this). Does anyone know a suitable product please?
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Skip
I have used the silicone type car dashboard spray for this type of job.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - henry k
I use
www.tableauproducts.com/categories/tableau-dry-lube-small/4

I have used it for many years on plastic cutain track ( rather than Mr Sheen)
Last edited by: henry k on Thu 13 Sep 12 at 13:56
>> I use
>> www.tableauproducts.com/categories/tableau-dry-lube-small/4
>>
It comes with avery thin tube to plug in the top of the can so you get a small amount dispensed where it is required.
Some other products just spray everywhere and silicone is not that easy to remove.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Manatee
ebay - goo.gl/O3W1C

Amazon - www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000TOFOSU

Screwfix - goo.gl/BxmVf
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - bathtub tom
I've used furniture polish.
>> I've used furniture polish.
>>
As I mentioned above.
It does not get directed exactly where you want it unless you spray it on a cloth and then apply it.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Dog
>>I've used furniture polish<<

That makes err, two of us, I uses it on curtain track two too.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - VxFan
>> I've used furniture polish.

Also handy for sticky seat belts that are slow or refuse to reel themselves back in.

A light spraying on the webbing, followed by a rub with a cloth soon has them heading for home again.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - bathtub tom
>>Also handy for sticky seat belts that are slow or refuse to reel themselves back in.

They seem to stick more in cold, damp weather.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - TeeCee
>> (and, inciedntally, that WD40 should not be used for this)

Do tell. That's what I've always used and found it to work rather well.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Slidingpillar
WD40 is a basic thin oil with water attractive properties. Idea being, to disperse water, you spray it on, and the water falls away with the excess.

For that, it works, but it is a very poor lubricant, and since it attracts water, the residue tends to make steel rust - and not stop it.

What is the best choice depends on the surface you are lubricating, but 3 in 1 and GT85 are all much better oils. Quite a lot of things in a domestic environment are not really subject to the weather, don't need that much lubrication so almost anything will work.
Build up of residue, making the problem worse, seems to be the objection to WD40.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Old Navy
I was told by the installers not to use WD40 on my garage door as it attracts dirt. I use 3 in 1 silicone spray on the rubber seals which start squeaking after about 6 months, and on my car window seals.

tinyurl.com/9jdwyey (Halfords)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 13 Sep 12 at 19:01
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Clk Sec
>> I use 3 in 1 silicone spray

I also use 3 in 1 silicon spray, and have done since the subject of lock lubrication was discussed at length at the other place.

Nothing wrong with my memory.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - madf
I use "dry silicon spray". Ideal for squeaky runroofs..windows, doorlocks, etc..
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Runfer D'Hills
Silicon spray is very effective. Good for car door rubbers too. Stops the doors from freezing shut on wet then cold winter nights ( Handy hint there )

If none to hand a soft pencil lead rubbed on your door tracks will make it much easier. That works on zips too. Best to do it before you put your trousers on though. People don't like it if you do it on the bus.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - TeeCee
>> the residue tends to make steel rust - and not stop it.

Er, cobblers. One of the (many) things I use WD40 for is I give my garden tools a quick squirt before putting 'em away to stop 'em rusting. It works too.
Many thanks for all of the above. I have now got some Tableau Dry Lube and will try that first.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Haywain
Please let us know how you get with the Tableau Dry Lube - the mechanisms on our d/g window units could benefit from lubrication and I've always been concerned about using oil because it attracts dust. Do you think that it's likely to mark plastic frames? Thanks.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Ian (Cape Town)
6B pencil.
/thread.
 Silicone spray for double glazing slides - Old Navy
>> 6B pencil.
>> /thread.
>>

That will definitely mark the frames!
On the basis of a quick trial, I can't recommend Plateau Dry Lube. It is too early to say if it stains but the instruction to "Mask adjacent areas to avoid overspraying..." is not encouraging-imagine what a fuss that would be, especially as the spraying distance should be 8" to 12". About 1" is what it needed but the can pressure is such that you get about 12" anyway and there is a lot to wipe away. Use the thin tube provided for close-up work? It is too thick to go in the nozzle and a borrowed WD40 tube too narrow (but that, in turn, really too thick for the WD40 can). The spray irritates the skin so you need to wear gloves. It can also cause drowsiness and dizziness but its strong ether smell might attract glue sniffers. It is also highly flammable.

I shall use this in the open air to spray large areas, such a spade blades, to winterise them. I shall then keep it in the shed. I don't have a garage but wouldn't want to risk the spray reaching my car's bodywork.
>> On the basis of a quick trial, I can't recommend Plateau Dry Lube.
>>
Go0d to hear it worked for your task.
>> It is too early to say if it stains
To date I have never noticed any staining.
>>
>> Use the thin tube provided for close-up work?
>> It is too thick to go in the nozzle.
I have just checked again and the fit is very tight but never had a problem.
( 3in 1 spay oil tube also fits )
>>The spray irritates the skin so you need to wear gloves.
I have not had this problem. I also spray it on a soft cloth to wipe along curtain track and the boy do the curtains speed up.
>>It can also cause drowsiness and dizziness
>> It is also highly flammable.
>>
Yes RTFM helps with a product like this.
I did smile at "Avoid release to the environment"
Latest Forum Posts