Non-motoring > London Transport Tube Map Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 7

London Transport Tube Map - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-19546145

"Psychologist Dr Maxwell Roberts has spent the last 10 years studying global underground maps"

Where do I catch this global underground?

Maybe the telling feature is that he is from Essex.........................

London Transport Tube Map - neiltoo
Wonder how much we've paid him over the last ten years to undertake this essential research.

Has he got a proper job as well?
 London Transport Tube Map - Meldrew
And buys his anoraks in charity shops

tinyurl.com/8j3sga5
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 13 Sep 12 at 11:59
 London Transport Tube Map - Cliff Pope
It's always easy to belittle academic research as pointless, but I can see in this caseit might be providing insight into how we perceive physical layout, apart from potentially helping travellers.

It is certainly true that how a map is conventionally drawn totally colours our view of the world, That's why Greenland is an enormous island near the North Pole, and northern Canada and Russia infinitely wide expanses of nothingness.

Our house and garden are on a double S-bend on a country lane. But mentally I always see the road as straight, like on a tube map, so whenever I see a real map I am always surprised that the garden is quite deep, not a long thin lozenge following the road.

The person who designs the map biases our view of the world - Rome at the centre, Jerusalem, Greenwich meridian.
 London Transport Tube Map - Zero
I agree with Cliff - Maps are worthy of research in many respects, some of them in very surprising areas.

However the Beck map of the Lu should be left alone. Its a work of sheer genius and can not be improved, and they should stop titting around with it, trying to make it better. Removing the Thames from it was an act of folly, - it will be put back I understand.
>>>Removing the Thames from it was an act of folly, - it will be put back I understand. <<<

Most true Londoners fully understand where the the South starts (like taxi drivers :) ). Visitors may need it!

I too believe that Beck created something special and easy to interpret. But maybe that is something only fully appreciated by people with an (electrical) engineering background?
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 14 Sep 12 at 08:57
 London Transport Tube Map - Meldrew
Link here

tinyurl.com/96tut8a

to underground maps in General, showing that Beck's model is easy to understand and widely used around the World. There is an interesting one of what the London Underground would look like geographically rather than schematic.

tinyurl.com/9solozt
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 14 Sep 12 at 09:12
This is an interesting representation - worthy of a Doctorate in its own right?
tinyurl.com/9r7g3m5
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 14 Sep 12 at 10:08
Latest Forum Posts