Non-motoring > Music downloads sites Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 24

Music downloads sites - TheManWithNoName
I used to download mp3 tracks via Tesco Digital website but as from September, they've pulled the plug on this service. A track would usually cost 89p.
Can anyone recommend a good, reliable and legal download website please?

(but not itunes).

Fanks
 Music downloads sites - Alanovich
Amazon?
 Music downloads sites - rtj70
I normally use Amazon. I hadn't realised Tesco had stopped selling MP3's but had used them before now as well.

I stopped using iTunes (I think I only downloaded two albums) to avoid the DRM they used to put on files. Don't think they do now.
 Music downloads sites - CGNorwich
No DRM on Apple. Abandoned that years ago. ITunes is about the best I think.
I didn't think they did DRM - last album I got from there did have DRM though but was a few years ago.

Amazon is often cheaper than iTunes. As was Tesco.
 Music downloads sites - Bromptonaut
The Lad uses a mix of Amazon and i-tunes. AFAIK both are now DRM free. I have a 'tail' of DRM tracks from an early Virgin service and Napster.

Not sure anybody uses DRM these days.
 Music downloads sites - TheManWithNoName
Will itunes downloads only work on Apple (i-pod/pad) products?
I was told it did which is why I specified sites other than itunes.
I still live in the 20th century y'see when it comes to music technology and own five mp3 players but none of them is an Apple (or Apple type) product.
>> Will itunes downloads only work on Apple (i-pod/pad) products?

No - it will work on any MP3 product. But maybe avoid the higher quality bitrates which might not work on other players.

iTunes used to use Digital Rights Management (DRM) to lock music to you. They don't anymore. To make sure it works for you on your device, just download a track to try it out.

When the music is in iTunes you'll find the MP3 files in the iTunes library folders on the computer. Unless you only downloaded on an iPhone or iPod but I know you're not suggesting that.
 Music downloads sites - Dave_
A family member works for play.com, they do mp3s. No idea of service or price, sorry.
 Music downloads sites - MD
I have a 7" black plastic circular thingy.
 Music downloads sites - Focusless
>> A family member works for play.com, they do mp3s. No idea of service or price,

'Top tracks' appear to be 99p, recent album releases £8-£11.

Moneysavingexpert has a website that finds you the cheapest download for a given track/album:
www.tunechecker.com/
 Music downloads sites - zookeeper
when your hard drive gives up the ghost...can you ask for your money back?
 Music downloads sites - Alanovich
When you scratch your CD, shatter your vinyl, or your cassette deck eats your New Seekers tape, can you ask for your money back?
 Music downloads sites - RattleandSmoke
This is why I much prefer CDs, and I can always rip files onto my hard drive too. Although I do use Spotify premium a lot too.

I must have around 300 CDs now and 150 LPs. I just love having a proper record in my hand (either a CD or vinyl) and although I have an audiophile soundcard the DAC in my mid end Marantz CD player is far better (CD 6000 OSE LE).
>> when your hard drive gives up the ghost...can you ask for your money back?

Depends on the supplier but I know in the past I've been able to re-download stuff. There might be a limit on how many times you can do this.
 Music downloads sites - CGNorwich
Not a problem with Itunes

How to re-download purchased items

support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Surprised people are still buying flimsy easiyl damaged bits of plastic in rubbish plastic cases
You have to move on. ;-)

ive got an old wax cylinder (havnt we all) full of marie Llyod ..ivor novello .. best of 1914. scratched to bits... i asked for a refund at HMV and the police were called .. i let it go .. im thinking of going up beat now and trying the new fangled vinyl
 Music downloads sites - Ambo
I don't know if you can download from Spotify (I only use to play) but BT warn me it can carry viruses.
 Music downloads sites - RattleandSmoke
Spotify is perfectly safe and legal, and I would suspect Spotify would be very interested in finding out that is what BT have been telling people!

You can buy tracks from Spotify, but with premium you can use it on your mobile phone or any computer you want. For my needs it is fine. It is an excellent way of discovering new music.
 Music downloads sites - Woodster
I got a sueezebox touch recently Rattle. Stream everything from teh computer direct to it and straight into the amp. Inbuilt dac of decent quality and then access spotify from the squeezebox. Nothing amazing in it but nice little addition to the cupboard. I'm totally with you though, I always buy the CD and rip it, but use spotify for new stuff.
ive d/l thousands of songs and films from illegal d/l sites....will i get done eventually?
 Music downloads sites - Fursty Ferret
Big fan of Spotify - have their premium membership but reckon for the price you should get one free album a month. Also have a Squeezebox, albeit a modified Joggler I picked up for £50.
Amazon are now offering to store your MP3 online etc. Like Apple already does.

tinyurl.com/8rnmht7
...and "we've got hundreds of albums under £4 by essential artists, and with the code CLOUD99P you can pick one up for just 99p"
I should have added for pedants this is new for UK (and Europe). It was available in the USA already.
Latest Forum Posts