Non-motoring > Wood-boring insect Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 25

Wood-boring insect - L'escargot
On our patio we've got a piece of old tree (sycamore) trunk which has got some 8mm holes drilled in the upper end. I've just noticed (it wasn't there yesterday) that in one of the holes there's a largish insect burrowing further down into the hole. It's producing a pile of sawdust on the surface, surrounding the hole. I assume the insect is making a nest. What is the insect likely to be? If it's harmless to human life (or our bungalow) I'll leave it alone, but if it's not then I'll give it a dose of insecticide powder.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 09:36
I've found this www.rtcgroup.co.uk/pdfs/RTC%20Woodworm%20Guide.pdf but none of the insects shown seems to correspond with what we've got.
 Wood-boring insect - devonite
Can you not "Winkle" him out with a pair of tweezers for proper eye-balling?

Could be a solitary Bee setting up camp for the winter!
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 10:00
 Wood-boring insect - Mike Hannon
Could be a bee, could be a long-horned beetle (capricorn). They like old wood rather than treated house timbers (luckily). We get them in the log-piles.
Best to try and drag it out for examination.
 Wood-boring insect - Lygonos
If largish means the size of a wasp, it may be a wasp.

I can't imagine it could lead to structural damage.

Classical woodworm damage is caused by decades of little grubs burrowing through timbers unmolested - usually the boreholes will be of the order of 1-2mm dia and almost perfectly round.
>> If largish means the size of a wasp, it may be a wasp.

I saw it partially (covered in sawdust) shortly after it had started boring. It looked as if it might be the size of a wasp.
>> Can you not "Winkle" him out with a pair of tweezers for proper eye-balling?

You must be joking! If it has teeth sharp enough to chew up wood there's no telling what it could do to me if I annoyed it!
 Wood-boring insect - Meldrew
If you can get it out thus site may help you identify it

www.ispot.org.uk/
 Wood-boring insect - CGNorwich
That would be Waspus Bungaloides. Its normally lives under brick weave paving and emerges in the autumn. Known to destroy an entire bungalow in days. Immune to all known insecticides.

Wood-boring insect - WillDeBeest
Also partial to terrestrial gastropods.

Can you not "Winkle" him out...

More likely to be her than him. My guess is it's a beetle and it's found some old, soft wood in which to lay its eggs. The larvae tend to be much more boring than the adults, and the larval stage often accounts for most of the lifecycle: it might be a larva for two years, then emerge as an adult for a couple of weeks.
>> Also partial to terrestrial gastropods.
>>
>> Can you not "Winkle" him out...
>>
>> More likely to be her than him. My guess is it's a beetle and it's
>> found some old, soft wood in which to lay its eggs.

What surprised me was the "sawdust". The nature of it was like you get when using a tenon saw, and it was the colour of fresh sawdust so the wood wasn't that soft. The amount was enough to make a pile about two inches in diameter.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 16:45
 Wood-boring insect - Dutchie
Live and let live.>:)
Live and let live.>:)

Dutchie you should know that the recommendation here on spotting another species is to either:

1 Blast it with as shotgun
2 Drench it with weedkiller
3 Spray it with insecticide
4 Coat it with old sump oil
5 Use a flame gun
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 17:59
 Wood-boring insect - WillDeBeest
The real problem nowadays, CG, is that the larvae hang around much longer than they used to. There really ought to be more of an incentive for them to pupate and leave more rotting tree trunks for the next generation.
Only a problem if there is a proven stump shortage and then how do you know the larvae capacity of any particular stump?
 Wood-boring insect - swiss tony
>> Dutchie you should know that the recommendation here on spotting another species is to either:

1 Blast it with as shotgun
2 Drench it with weedkiller
3 Spray it with insecticide
4 Coat it with old sump oil
5 Use a flame gun
6 All of the above.....
 Wood-boring insect - Zero
In that order?
 Wood-boring insect - Armel Coussine
That's the humane order if you think about it....
>> Live and let live.>:)
>>

Live and let die is my maxim for wood-boring insects!

"When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(You know you did, you know you did you know you did)
But if this ever changing world in which we live in
Makes you give in and cry

Say live and let die"
 Wood-boring insect - Cliff Pope
I'd been about to find a forum to post this question on, but this one is perhaps appropriate:

Is there such a thing as a stone- boring insect?

Earlier this year I re-pointed an old gable wall with lime mortar. Yesterday climbing a ladder to fix a chimney cowl I noticed that areas of the wall had been peppered with small holes, about the size of a wasp. They are a few inches deep, and some have a cobwebbed fringe to the entrance.
What sort of creature bores holes in mortar and stone? Not spiders, surely, or do opportunistic ones make use of a hole bored by another species?
>> Is there such a thing as a stone- boring insect?

Masonry bee. www.countryservicespestcontrol.co.uk/?p=376
That's them - many thanks for the link.
I thought it unlikely anything small had strong enough teeth, but you live and learn.
They sound pretty harmless, and quite interesting, I'm honoured to be hosting them.

They can join the honey bee colony, swallows and bats that all seem to want to live with us.
 Wood-boring insect - Crankcase
We had masonry bees in the endwall of our old barn - but didn't know it, as there was no easy access to that wall from the outside.

After a few years the wall collapsed into the neighbour's garden, which was not a wonderful day.

Rebuilt in brick and wood.
Useful warning - I'll keep an eye on them. But the wall can probably stand a few little holes. Before I pointed it there was soil trickling out from between the stones and ferns growing.
 Wood-boring insect - Alanovich

>> But if this ever changing world in which we live in

The atrocious English of that line used to bother me somewhat. Until I learned that it was actually thus: "But if this ever changing world in which we're living".
 Wood-boring insect - Manatee
>> Say live and let die"

Chill out, relax, and take life as it comes.

You can always get another bungly hole.
Latest Forum Posts