Non-motoring > Boris bikes - what fun Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 57

Boris bikes - what fun - Iffy
A few days in London gave me the chance to try Boris bikes and what fun they are.

London to me is ideal cycling territory, lots to see and plenty of cycling challenges all within a short distance.

I'm not keen on cycling on the A and B roads around the caravan - too much fast moving traffic - but carving through central London traffic is easy and relatively safe.

There's a sticker on each bike warning about vehicles turning left, and I could immediately see there could be problems with that.

Ride it like you stole it is my motto, so most of my left turns took place on the pavement.

One way streets? Not on a Boris bike, although I only did short stretches against the flow.

And some streets have cycle lanes designed to allow you to go in the opposite direction to motorised traffic.

Interaction with pedestrians and other drivers was cordial, apart from a white van at Holborn Circus who called me the c-word.

How could he know that? He must be psychic.

My capital cycling adventure also enables me to test my latest attempt at photo-sharing.

Hopefully this link will show an oh-so-interesting pic of a stand of Boris bikes:

www.23hq.com/RobF/photo/8118783

Anyone care to guess where it is?

Boris bikes - what fun - knowitall
It is at the junction of Exeter Street and Wellington Street.
London WC2
 Boris bikes - what fun - Clk Sec
:-)
 Boris bikes - what fun - sherlock47
is this the deflounce?
Looks that way...
Seems like Iffy's flushed him out.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 26 Aug 12 at 15:51
 Boris bikes - what fun - CGNorwich
That reminds me - anyone else feels like leaving I found this really site to generate your leaving post.

margalite.webatu.com/goodbye.html

The Boxer effect:

...till he cried out in his anger and his shame,
"I am leaving, I am leaving."
But the fighter still remains.
 Boris bikes - what fun - Bromptonaut
Sorry I missed you in London Iffy. As you've discovered, cycling in the capital, at least in Zone 1, is pretty safe. Looking forward to being back in the mix asap.

Currently on a delayed family camping holiday on the Franco/German border. Off crutches since my last hospital appt 6 weeks post surgery. Supposed to stay off bikes for another 6 weeks ie until late September. Could not persuade the family guardians to let me try Strasbourg's equivalent of BoBis when we were there last week.

Return to work early Sept and don't think I can smuggle either Brompton out past eagle eyes of Mrs B or Bromptonette. A Boris bike however can be hired on the quiet and the idea of three or four weeks on bus/tube is beyond the pale.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 26 Aug 12 at 17:05
...A Boris bike however can be hired on the quiet and the idea of three or four weeks on bus/tube is beyond the pale...

I had a tube ride for old times sake and concluded it's no more than a means to an end.

It is a brilliant system, and given that it's thrashed 18 hours a day, it's a minor miracle there aren't more breakdowns and delays than there are.

A Docklands Light Railway trip to Canary Wharf was more pleasurable, and provided more Boris biking opportunities.

Talking to a few Boris users, and using my own eyes, I gather there are some problems with availability of bikes and docking space at peak times.

No trouble to me as a tourist, but it would be frustrating to be late for an appointment or to miss a train because you couldn't find a bike or find somewhere to leave it at the other end.

Lots more cyclists of all types now than when I lived in London, which I think has forced drivers to be more patient and considerate.

...Sorry I missed you in London Iffy...

Me too, but there were lots of Bromptons to remind me of you, particularly at going home time.

I will let the picture quiz run a bit longer in case there are any other guesses.

It's up to you of course, you can let it run if you like, but there is little point. I am, of course, right.

Here is the google street view.

goo.gl/maps/g0KfC
...Here is the google street view...

Good of you to post a spoiler which only serves to deny a go to those members who don't get to look in during the day at weekends.

Well done.

I am so sorry sir, I did not realise you required wrong answers. Could I suggest that next time you make the losing requirements a little clearer?
Last edited by: knowitall on Sun 26 Aug 12 at 19:58
 Boris bikes - what fun - Kevin
>I am so sorry sir, I did not realise you required wrong answers.

[Raises hand enthusiastically].. I know! I know!

Pick me! Pick me!

Is it in St. Reatham?
To be fair if you recognise a London street then you've done it. My first thought was the dock opposite 5 Chancery Lane, but the background was wrong.
 Boris bikes - what fun - Duncan
Has he flounced again?
 Boris bikes - what fun - Runfer D'Hills
Double dip.
...has he flounced again...double dip...

Possibly, but this messing about is becoming wearisome.

If it was Zero, he should post as Zero or not at all.

Perhaps the last fall out with the management was more comprehensive than we know and that account is blocked.

Boris bikes - what fun - devonite
Good grief!! = you lot must watch too much Marple or somesuch, how on earth did you "suss-out" that Knowitall was possibly good ole Z ?, if, in the words of "Grossman", "all the clues were there", where and what were they?

Mystified of Cumbria!
 Boris bikes - what fun - No FM2R
>>If it was Zero, he should post as Zero or not at all.

Why? Who cares?
Could try a seance.

Knock twice if you're out there Zero

...Why? Who cares?...

Ultimately, no one.

But taking part in the forum is more fun if you know a few of the regulars.

You are a case in point, there was interest in your return because some of the old sweats knew about your house in wherever it is, your dogs, and so on.

>But taking part in the forum is more fun if you know a few of the regulars.

So your response of "Good of you to post a spoiler..Well done." would have been exactly the same if you didn't know who it was and thought that it was a new member?
 Boris bikes - what fun - No FM2R
I agree its more fun etc. etc.. But if someone chooses another approach, I can't say it bothers me one way or the other.
 Boris bikes - what fun - VxFan
>> Perhaps the last fall out with the management was more comprehensive than we know and that account is blocked.

It's not. The only accounts so far to be disabled are those of spammers.

Over the course of several years moderating, I've seen Zero do many things. This however isn't his usual style.

Vx.
 Boris bikes - what fun - MD
(0:-:0)
 Boris bikes - what fun - Focusless
>> ...Here is the google street view...
>>
>> Good of you to post a spoiler

FWIW I thought that was a bit harsh Iffy - if you didn't want the correct answer straight away, I think you should have said. If I'd known where it was I would have answered as soon as I read the post too.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 27 Aug 12 at 20:48
I am indeed quite clearly a fraud, and the two main reasons are abundantly clear.

The first is that I do not know anything about all these references to "Zero"

The second is that I have no idea how someone called "Devonite" can be from Cumbria.

Both of course mean that someone who does not know it all, can not be "knowitall"
He's back.
 Boris bikes - what fun - Ted

Is he though ? I really hope so, but don't all your previous posts change to the new name.

Z still figures in trains, planes.

Ted
'New' member. Different IP address or masked???
The second is that I have no idea how someone called "Devonite" can be from Cumbria.

;-) the Devonshire (local) is my peaceful, relaxing, chilling out, stress relieving home!
>>He's back

No doubt about it.

tinyurl.com/9dtqa7b
 Boris bikes - what fun - Dog
>>>>He's back
No doubt about it. tinyurl.com/9dtqa7b<

A quite listen-to-able song that, effendi, but THIS is mr knowitall:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AajR5MjMK4
Ulverston then!
Close, Millom! ;-)
Lost patience with the queue for the tube this morning and walked out of Euston looking for a BoBi. None at Endsleigh Gardens but several at the base round the corner.

The reactions for riding in traffic were instinctive but I've clearly lost a lot of fitness in 8 weeks and was breathing well at a couple of points. Leg no problem at all though.

Great to be back on a bike.

Question now is when I 'fess up' to la direction in order (hopefully) to be allowed out on the considerably faster and easier Brommy.
Are there no ( Brompton sized) left luggage facilities at Euston now, or is that another casualty of our over-reaction to security matters?

Boris bikes - what fun - rtj70
I read his reply to be the following: "I fell off my bike (or whatever) and broke some bones. I am now healed and can ride a bike but I don't want my wife to know. So rather than take my Brompton I will hire a Boris Bike and she does not know".

EDIT: I remembered something but searched after the post above:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=11221
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 23:24
>Are there no ( Brompton sized) left luggage facilities at Euston now,

He'd need Lud's money to use them if they still exist.
>> He'd need Lud's money to use them if they still exist.
>>

Spot on. There's an attended facility by the Melton St exit but something over £5/day. There are also bike racks on the other side and behind Nando's in the central piazza. I never leave mine on the street but you'd probably be OK with a really good (ie weighing half as much as the bike) lock.

Mine goes into meetings with me but i appreciate your business is different reputationaly to being a civil servant in twilight years of his service.
 Boris bikes - what fun - Zero
yea we just love you people, crowding out the small ancient old london lifts with 20 cwt of old iron dumped on the floor.
 Boris bikes - what fun - Manatee
>> Mine goes into meetings with me but i appreciate your business is different reputationaly to
>> being a civil servant in twilight years of his service.
>>

I have a theory that one harmless non- conforming or eccentric behaviour is desirable.
>> >> He'd need Lud's money to use them if they still exist.
>> >>
>>
>> Spot on. There's an attended facility by the Melton St exit but something over £5/day.

Checked on way in. £8.50 for first day/part day then £5/day.

The Gare du Nord has proper lockers in a bomb proof area and with security screennig.

Too simple and not profitable enough for the Brits of course.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 09:51
...The reactions for riding in traffic were instinctive but I've clearly lost a lot of fitness in 8 weeks and was breathing well at a couple of points...

Some muscle wastage as well, I expect.

Isn't the run to your office from there level/slightly downhill?

>> Isn't the run to your office from there level/slightly downhill?

Going down towards the river so I suppose it must be but I'd never been aware. The drop is more noticeable from Fleet St/Strand down to the Embankment.
...The drop is more noticeable from Fleet St/Strand down to the Embankment...

I kept away from that drop when I was Boris biking.

Same in the City, I didn't go below Cheapside/Leadenhall Street.

Well that was a short lived piece of deception.

Miss B, sat in car to pick me up from station, grins all over her face as I walk to the car and tells me I'm a very bad Hobbles* and I've been riding bikes.

How did she know?

I'd forgotten to pull my right trouser leg out of my sock!!

* I'm stuck with her calling me that for the rest of my life, or at least until she can call me Grandad!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 19:44
Didn't have you down as a Mason Bromp...

:-)
 Boris bikes - what fun - Zero
you went home with your trouser tucked in your sock? didnt the giggles on the train give you a clue?
Zeddo,

It's an Indian Summer. There are young women on trains with assorted bits of their anatomy hanging out of, or visible through, their clothing. Women probably notice blokes similarly unclad

A guy in his mid fifties with a trouser leg in his sock ain't getting nobody's attention :-p
>A guy in his mid fifties with a trouser leg in his sock ain't getting nobody's attention :-p

Probably thought you were in the craft.
 Boris bikes - what fun - bathtub tom
devonite

Didn't know Kris Ruddjers did you? Noticed any 'strangers' around lately?

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mhmql
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 8 Sep 12 at 14:25
>> Talking to a few Boris users, and using my own eyes, I gather there are
>> some problems with availability of bikes and docking space at peak times.

Indeed. This morning I had to walk from Euston to Malet St to find one and leave it again in Portugal St 'cos Carey St was full.

Very variable though. Same time yesterday there were half a dozen just over road from Euston at Endsliegh Gardens.

To be fair it's never going to work properly for terminal station to office jobs. You could have a dock the size of a footy pitch and still not keep up.

For a while after the scheme started Holborn Circus dock was manned in the morning rush and bikes were taken straight off for re-location. Later moved that operation to Stonecutter St where bike transporters were not in way of buses.

Stopped altogether now I think.
 Boris bikes - what fun - Focusless
Never mind Boris bikes - what about this thing: tinyurl.com/93mmkve (Mail)
Should be interesting on the road... :)
 Boris bikes - what fun - Dog
S'not a new idea (as the article states) ~ pic numero 11 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Velocipedes.png
>>The bike is an entry into the annual James Dyson Award for technology , innovation and design open to international students and founded by the Dyson vacuum cleaner inventor.

Thats probably why, as an idea, it Sucks!
Latest Forum Posts