Non-motoring > Financial loose ends Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 18

Financial loose ends - Stuu
Having a good look through my great-grandmothers papers, we found a share cert from 1963. Looking at the correspondance when she died, the cert was never investigated further as the bank who were handling her estate didnt think it was worth anything and so my nan who they handled the winding down of her mothers estate to didnt persue it.

We have looked into it a little more and the shares were for £4500 in 1963 which wasnt a small sum of money and we want to be sure they were sold. The company still exists at the same location so we know where they are, but is there a particular way to go about finding out if the shares are still in her name, despite her dying 25 years ago? All we have is the original share cert.

A second issue regarding my nan. She has a payment go out from her current account for about £3 every month, has done for as long as she can remember, but she has no idea what its for. Oddly it goes to Coutts. My dad wrote to them and they requested a load of information we dont have as we have no clue what they payments are for. Her bank dont know either but she doesnt want to stop them incase its some insurance policy, likely an old one judging by the amount. Any clues on how, without knowing what its for, she can find out what its about?
 Financial loose ends - Cliff Pope
On the first point, you need to find out who are the registrars. They should be traceable on the internet, or failing that the company secretary at the registered address must know.
LEAMINGTON TENNIS COURT COMPANY LIMITED. I did a brief search but not sure id know if I saw it :-/
 Financial loose ends - Ian (Cape Town)
LEAMINGTON TENNIS COURT COMPANY LIMITED

Aah, that makes sense.
I seem to recall that a chap from Leamington Spa traded in all the policies, and escaped to some place in South America with a huge bundle of cash.
Perhaps we should be told...

Oh, try here...
companycheck.co.uk/company/00143549
 Financial loose ends - R.P.
I wouldn't be booking any cruises on the strength of selling them, not a footsie 100 company !
Haha, no, any money wouldnt come to me anyway. Not sure my nan would want a cruise, she doesnt often go futher than the front door :-p
 Financial loose ends - No FM2R
>>escaped to some place in South America

Last time I'm bothering to bribe you. My mate Ronnie said you were no good.
 Financial loose ends - bathtub tom
The second issue.

If no-one knows or remembers what the payment's for, then what's the chance of finding out when your nan kicks the bucket? Stop it now.
 Financial loose ends - Iffy
Stopping the payment may cause whoever is getting it to ask why.

You should then find out what it's for.

Not likely we would find out since its 8 years since she lived at her previous address which is the one whoever sent a letter out would have, but since she didnt have any paperwork, she couldnt tell them of a change of address back then.
 Financial loose ends - WillDeBeest
The modern game of lawn tennis was invented in Leamington Spa, at the house that became the Manor House Hotel and is now a rather dull apartment building. I wonder whether the Tennis Court Company somehow grew out of that.
No idea, the stamp on the cert says est 1847 so its been around a while.
Have you checked out that link provided above ? Looks like someone ran away with the family silver in the mid-2000s
That or they have good accountants. A good accountant can make a paper loss most years if you 'invest' alot.
 Financial loose ends - John H
more information here:

www.duedil.com/company/00143549/the-leamington-tennis-court-company-limited

www.duedil.com/company/00143549/the-leamington-tennis-court-company-limited/people

Looks like they are now operating as a "knee clinic".

"The Leamington Tennis Court Company,Limited was founded on 08 Apr 1916 and has its registered office in Leamington. The organisation's status is 'Non-trading', and they have 8 associated directors - 4 are current, and 4 former. ........ The company has no known group companies. There are 4 shareholders of the company."

Strange, their website suggests they are a Tennis Club.

www.leamingtonrealtennis.co.uk/

I cant believe my great grandmother is still one of four shareholders so question answered. I suspect the current directors are the shareholders.

Thanks for the help on that.

Now to find out what Coutts are up to :-/

Last edited by: FoR on Sun 19 Aug 12 at 12:10
Write them a letter on her behalf. Tell them how long the DDs have been going out etc. Ask them to trace the matter on her behalf and if it has nothing to do with any insurance policy to cancel it and return the monies she has given them. Wait for them to reply and if they reply in the negative again, respond to them by saying that she is making a complaint.

They will have to comply with the Banking codes of practice - escalate it to the FSA if they stonewall her.
Okey doke, thanks R.P.

My dad is seeing her bank manager next week, he is going to enquire whether they can offer any help on it.

If a Direct Debit payment is taken and you don’t recognise the name of the organisation then follow these guidelines.

Contact your bank and ask to see a copy of the Direct Debit Instruction, which your bank should have access to within 7 working days. Whilst the copy is being obtained you are entitled to an immediate refund of the amount debited from your bank under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

That's from the DD website. Make sure it's a DD and not a Standing Order. I have a sneaky suspicion it may be the latter.
Latest Forum Posts