Non-motoring > North Wales Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 28

North Wales - nice but dim
Me, the other half and baby daughter are going to North Wales for 2 nights next month over a Weds and Thurs nite. We are staying at a Travelodge in Colwyn Bay and Portmadog.
We are planning to follow the coast before heading down to inland before our 2nd nights stay then heading home via Snowdon hopefully making tne summit via the mountain train.
Can anyone local to that area can advise good places to visit (not too expensive though) areas or places to avoid (roads included) or good driving roads? I gather Rattle knows a lot about this area from his posts?
 North Wales - WillDeBeest
We spent a week there last year. It rained. We rode the little railways (including the Ffestiniog to Porthmadog, which also has a proper little tea shop in the square by the harbour) which aren't especially cheap but are rather wonderful and worth supporting. And, on the one clear day, we climbed Cadair Idris, which is also wonderful but free.

Our last morning we spent at the Centre for Alternative Technology outside Macchynlleth, which shows there's a lot of good thinking and science behind what the ignorant dismiss as 'tree hugging'. Nice café there, too.

We stayed near Dolgellau, which is a bit dull but has a decent butcher and the self-styled worst Co-Op in Britain, because it's right at the end of the distribution chain and gets all the stuff none of the others want. One evening we went to Barmouth, which offers good fish and chips but not too much else.

And you can always drop in on Mrs Trellis.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 21:35
of ISIHAC fame?
Not so dim, I see.
}:---)
 North Wales - No FM2R
>>ISIHAC fame?

I believe that I have very ISIHAC in mp3 going back to 11th April 1972 other than a few gaps in 1976 and 1979, although I stopped collecting at the end of 2007.

And given the lack of digital technology and proliferation of recordings in the 70s, that is no mean feat!

I still isten to them, and still die laughing. In fact if you've even been on a Chiltern Line train on the morning commute and seen some idiot dying of laughter into his iPod, that was probably me.
Then I hope you're with me in the pro-Dee camp. I think he's just the job - a different style from Lyttelton (can't call him Humph here) but with the same essential quality of dryness. His account of amateur palaeontologist Lionel Blair being caught trying to take a Homo erectus through the tradesmen's entrance made me very glad I wasn't driving when I heard it.
 North Wales - No FM2R
To be honest I haven't heard him in it, but I'd agree from the sound of it.

I shall seek it out and let you know what I think.
 North Wales - No FM2R
WDB,

>Then I hope you're with me in the pro-Dee camp

So, I've been off and listened to him.

I very much enjoyed Jack Dee's approach and style. However I wonder about longevity.

Humph evolved over time, but never had the controlling or strongest personality. Well, in truth he may have done, but that wasn't the style the show adopted.

Jack Dee, on the other hand, comes across as a much more dominant force within the program, and that might be a little more difficult to evolve.

Or maybe I'm over thinking, its certainly worth listening to at the moment.

I stream it using a MiFi in the car and a little transmitter to the radio. Consequently I am to be seen in traffic jams in Chile, leaning on the steering wheel, helpless with laughter. No doubt one day I'll be overheard by another Gringo who will understand, in the meantime I believe I may be confusing the Chileans.

I *do* enjoy a good laugh.
 North Wales - smokie
From '79 I have episodes 1 to 10 plus two specials (series 7).

From '76 I have episodes 1 - 6 of Series 5.

Would they help complete your collection? About 20mb each so too big for email, but there are ways...

Mine start in '72 but I don't know dates of broadcast - I seem to have 13, all series 1.

I'm missing some of the more recent ones too.. :-(
 North Wales - R.P.
I went to see a recording of two episodes in Rhyl a few years ago, with Humph. Brilliant.
We booked at Colwyn Bay and Portmadog mid week. Can anyone suggest any nice places to eat? Anything pub like (I fancy a steak!). I gather there arent too many places of a chain variety around there. We have a 4 month old baby in tow so needs to be family friendly
 North Wales - R.P.
Yes there is a huge amount of choice.

Try these :- (Colwyn Bay)

1. www.brunningandprice.co.uk/penybryn/ in Colwyn Bay - a little bit out of the town centre.

2. www.quayhotel.co.uk/ - expensive but classy.

3. The Conwy Morfa (Brewers Fayre) - never tried it myself but friends have. Cheap and cheerful. Maybe a Table/Table by now.

4. The Craigside in Llandudno as above - had lunch there once.

5. www.castlewales.co.uk/ - cracking food - good beer.

6. www.queensheadglanwydden.co.uk/menus.html You'll need to book especially at the weekend. Classy pub food.

7. Alfredos 9-10 Lancaster Square Conwy LL32 8DA - Good steak, good italian food - very plain and old fashioned top value.

8. watsonsbistroconwy.co.uk‎ - Good food, good beer. Not cheap but worth it. You'll need to book

9. www.groesinn.com/home.htm - Superb gastropub - good beer, you'll need to book.

10. www.the-old-ship.co.uk/ The guy that runs this is a professional and nationally known harpist - it's a bonus if he's there, he will entertain you.

All the usual chains abound including a dreadful stakehouse in Llandudno Junction. There are places you'll eat, but there are places you'll experience. I'll post some Porthmadog places for you tomorrow. From the cheap and cheerful to the internationally renowned.

PS

This is Harpo. Seen him live. Very, very good.

www.dylancernyw.com/

PPS

Colwyn Bay Town centre is a dump although you won't be disappointed by Driving out in any direction some really cracking places - The Wheatsheaf in Betws yn Rhos is another around 5 miles out.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 27 Aug 12 at 23:21
 North Wales - R.P.
Porthmadog is a lovely place unspoilt by Tesco good selection of little cafes and rest. On the High street. There's a little steakhouse on the main street on the Police Station side cheap cheerful but you'll be spoilt for choice there honest
 North Wales - Duncan
What about Weatherspoons?

Do you see?

www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-picture-house
 North Wales - helicopter
A place I found fascinating was Electric Mountain.....maybe not so interesting for wife and kiddie....

www.wales-underground.org.uk/electric/
 North Wales - R.P.
Based a whole camping weekend around them once. Brill no frills. Sussed out that the OP will be staying alongside the Conwy Morfa Table Table.
 North Wales - zookeeper
i found the curry house off the main drag a bit expensive, first left after the toll road as you go up to the caravan park
 North Wales - No FM2R
Smokie,

I do apologise, I completely missed this post.

I have the '76 episodes but the '79 would be a real help.

And I only have 11 from 1972?

I do have broadcast dates for everything.

If you could send me an e-mail, perhaps via the mods if you don't remember it, then I'll share a dropbox folder with you and we can share the files that way. Let me know if you're not aware of dropbox, but all I need to get it working is your e-mail address.

Thanks again, and sorry for missing this.

North Wales - rtj70
>> If you could send me an e-mail, perhaps via the mods if you don't remember it

Smokie is a mod ;-)
 North Wales - John H
>> >> If you could send me an e-mail, perhaps via the mods if you don't
>> remember it
>>
>> Smokie is a mod ;-)
>>

you've spoilt it now - NoFM2R's next question in "computer related" was going to be "What is the meaning of the descending rocket symbol next to R.P.'s name?"
:)
Last edited by: John H on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 23:04
 North Wales - No FM2R
doh! And I knew that as well, my only excuse is that I just found 10 bottles of London Pride in a Santiago supermarket. I bought them all, but there seems to be less now.

[hic]
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 23:04
 North Wales - Crankcase
Fewer ducks.
 North Wales - No FM2R
your rite, thanx.
 North Wales - Roger.
Fewer bottles, but less beer!
 North Wales - devonite
There may be the same amount of bottles, but less Beer (cos some are empty now) ;-)
We had a fantastic trip, the driving around north wales is breathtaking. Nice roads including the A55 with the mountain and sea views and those tunnels. We stayed at Colwyn Bay (you were right aboy it being a dump!), we ended up having a pizza in the hotel room as the car was effectivly locked in the car park unless I paid twice to get it out. We visited Rhyl and Llandudno first day, Llandudno was nice and Rhyl was ok. The next morning we headed to Holyhead via Pen somethinhg Mawr off the A55 and had breakfast by the beach, and passed through Bangor which was dull. Didnt stay at Holyhead, I wanted to see the ferries. Came back to Caernarfom via Llanfair PG. Headed to Porthmadog via Ccrieth for our seconds nights stay, we eat st the Madoc Hotel in Tremadog that night. The third day we headed to Llanberis and took the train up Snowdon which was great and the stayed at Caernarfon to stay where we eat at the Yr Harbwr. Caernerfon was lovely, with quaint back streets and good pubs and lovely views around the harbour and casttle. Today we headed back with a quick stop at Rhyl again and then back home.

The little MX3 did brilliant, swallowed all our and the nippers gear, did a fuel calculation between brims and it got almost 37mpg all of steadyish driving.

A few things to note, you have to pay for carrier bags, saw hardly any McDonadls or fast foods and supermarkets everywhere.

Thanks for all your advice.
 North Wales - Harleyman

>> A few things to note, you have to pay for carrier bags, saw hardly any
>> McDonadls or fast foods and supermarkets everywhere.
>>

Cue for a classic Gog joke......

Three tourists were driving through North Wales. As they were approaching
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, they started
arguing about the pronunciation of the town's name. They argued back and
forth until they stopped for lunch.

As they stood at the counter one asked the blonde employee, 'Before we
order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please
pronounce where we are... very slowly?'

The girl leaned over the counter and said, 'Burrrrrr, gerrrrrr, Kiiiiiing.'

Taxi!!
 North Wales - Roger.
Duw, Duw!
 North Wales - R.P.
Glad you enjoyed it. Looks like Yr Wyddfa put on her best clothes for you.
Latest Forum Posts