Non-motoring > Last time you used different forms of transport? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 81

Last time you used different forms of transport? - RattleandSmoke
A bit bored waiting for a pie to cook before I drive down to my office so:-

When was the last time you've used the following forms of passenger transport:-

Car - Yesterday evening, my own car. [use it daily apart from Sundays do 120 miles a week]

Bus - Unusually not for a couple of weeks, but usually use them at weekends. Hate them but a weekly ticket is £12 a week and includes night buses back home, and it provides a quick and easy way to get into the city centre from my office, which is a mile away.

Tram - Last Saturday to go to a job north of the city centre, was very quicker by tram. [use the tram at least once a week typically]

Train - When I went down to Brighton a couple of weeks ago. [use it around once a month]

Taxi - Around twice a month sadly :(. If I have a bit of change left and can't be bothered with the 3:00am nightbus home.

Push bike - Got one but never use it any more, last used last year.

Motorbike - Never been on one.

Plane - Last time was 2007, flew to Berlin, we came back by train.

Ship - Dublin 2005.

As you can probably tell I am in transport poverty. I need to start staying in Manchester a bit more often!.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 11:12
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - commerdriver
Car - this morning usually use every day unless away on business
Train - BR Last week Preston - Maidenhead (£40 single)
Underground - Saturday to go to & from Hyde Park
Taxi - several times last week from hotel to office
Bus - not regular user last time was park & ride bus in York early June for Railfest
Bike - not used own in a few years last one was hired bike in Cornwall last year
Motor bike not been on one since I was a child
Ship / boat - depends on size went on motor boat to Farne islands in late July, using car ferry to IOW this weekend, last big ship was SS Uganda in 1973
Plane - last year on holiday to Rome
Tram - Blackpool early this year and Beamish museum 3 weeks ago

think that completes the list
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - DP
>> Car -
This morning.

>> Bus -
In Oxford about six months ago.

>> Tram
In Germany about two years ago.

>> Train
Returning from my work leaving do in August 2011. I don't use trains in the UK unless there is absolutely no reasonable alternative.

>> Taxi
In Germany on a business trip in June. Rarely use taxis outside of business trips due to cost.

>> Push bike
Tuesday night, to a friends house so I could have a couple of beers.

>> Motorbike
When I got my ZZR600 MOT'd to sell it about 18 months ago.

>> Plane
June of this year (Germany business trip)

>> Ship
Strong dislike of boats. Got a Sea France ferry back to the UK when the Channel Tunnel went up in flames in September 2008. It was either that or stay in France for the foreseeable future until we could get the car home. These are the sort of choices I have to be faced with to even contemplate getting on a boat.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Stuu
Car - this morning.
Bus - 13 years ago in Salcombe, Devon on the Park & Ride.
Tram - never.
Train - 14 years ago to visit London Zoo.
Taxi - 3 years ago to collect a hire car.
Push Bike - last weekend on bike ride with the missus.
Motorbike - never.
Plane - 2002, honeymoon from first marriage.
Ship - 1995 to Calais.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Mapmaker
Car: hired car in France three weekends ago. My own car went around the corner ten days ago, Olympics stop play...

Bus: yesterday evening

Tube: this morning

Train: three weekends ago. Next time this Friday.

Bike (Boris): last Friday

Plane: three weekends ago.

Ship: punt in Cambridge two summers ago.

Cab: golly, ages ago. Buses are so good and free. (Well, £1000+ a year, but that's already paid.)

Last time you used different forms of transport? - Roger.
Car: Today.
Train:1964 approx.
Bus:1964approx.(Unless you count the airport bus from plane stand to passport control @ EMA!)
Trolley Bus: 1958 approx.
Motor Bike (Step thru') 1973
Tram: Never.
Bike: 1950.
Tube:1974 approx.
Ferry: 2010
Airline: 2010
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - rtj70
Roger, how did you get back all the way from Spain if you didn't fly, use a ferry or a train (the tunnel). Or have you really been back in the UK since 2010 and time has flown by?!?!?
Ooops! Premature (!) senility.
We moved back in February 2011, but we our sold Spanish place in late 2010. DUH!
We drove from the Costa del Sol to Santander and ferried over to Pompey and thence to the Dukeries
Even worse, I forgot our drive/ferry to Germany to see our family in BFPO, late in 2011.
Our next major trip ( finances allowing) is a trip to Dublin, in January 2013, to see my nephew marry his Irish fiancée.
BTW what is the best, route at that time of year?
I think driving to airport + flying + airport parking + car-hire - if they'll hire to us due to age - will be very costly.
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 13:33
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - helicopter
Car - today to work.
Bus- used my bus pass last month from town to home.
Tube - Couple of months ago went to town for meal and a show
Train - Ditto
Bike - I have two in the garage but not used for years... I have used the gym bike though .
Plane - last month to and from Dubai and to and from Crete.
Ship - Does The Isle of Wight Ferry count ..... ? Otherwise I used to sail regularly from Gibraltar with my sister and brother in law on their boat - no more alas !
Cab - last month from Gatwick to home.

The other category everyone has missed is Helicopter - last month ......
I forgot motorbike..... probably five years ago now though I still have my full licence.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Clk Sec
>> Car - Yesterday

>> Bus - last year. Took a longish coastal road journey while we were on holiday. Must get me a bus pass.

>> Tram - Not since the early 60s.
>> Train - Not since the late 60s.
>> Taxi - About 6 months ago in a Mercedes LEC. Felt a bit like a forum plutocrat in that!

>> Push bike - Not since the 70s. Used to keep an old pushbike in the back garden of a previous abode. This was used on a weekly basis when having a good few beers with some pals of mine, but I had resort to shanks's pony when some rotter stole it.

>> Motorbike - Not since the 60s unless a bubble car qualifies, in which case, not since the 70s.

>> Plane - 2 years ago

>> Ship - Well, pleasure boat actually. Last year while on holiday.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - tyro
Car - Yesterday afternoon.

Bus - May 2011 in Edinburgh. (Shuttle bus more recently between air terminal and airport car park)

Tram - Hmmm. Probably Budapest back in the 1990s.

Train - January 2012. Use the train about 3 times a year

Taxi - About three years ago in Glasgow

Push bike - Probably over 20 years ago.

Motorbike - Never been on one.

Plane - to France and back in April

Ship - Ferry to Ireland and back last month
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - VxFan
Car - this morning.
Van - last Wednesday.
Bus - December 2010 - laid on for works Xmas do.
Tram - never.
Train - some years ago. 12 or more. Trip to London and back. (unless you include the small one that runs from Bournemouth to Boscombe? - in which case 3 years ago)
Taxi - at least 12 years ago.
Cycle - late 80's.
Tricycle - 3 months ago.
Motorbike - 3 weeks ago.
Plane - Never flown.
Ferry - 1998 or 1999. Dover to France and back.
Skateboard - 1985
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 13:02
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Cliff Pope
Car - this morning usually use every day.
Train - about 40 years ago
Underground - 1984
Taxi - 1975
Bus - 1966
Bike -5 years ago
Motor bike- never
Ship / boat - last year (not counting own small boat)
Plane - never
Tram - Glasgow, 1954
Trolley bus - London, 1960 ?
Horse - a few weeks ago
Tractor- a few weeks ago
Black Maria - never
Shanks' pony - daily
And with thanks to CP, some I forgot to mention:

Horse - in the 50s

Tube - in the 70s.

Tractor - in the 80s.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - R.P.
Car - This morning to work - see bike for further details.
Bus - Greece last September
Tram - March in Manchester.
Train - November 2010 Basingstoke to London
Taxi - Christmas 2008
Push bike - Summer before last.
Motorbike - Last night (GS blast to meet a friend for a coffee), weather forecast put me off today. Wind and rain (gale force)
Plane - Last September
Ship April this year to Oirland.

Oh Helicopter.

Thrice with 22 Sqn RAF once in a Wessex and twice in a Sea King (another life in the 90s) and once in a MiL 24 !
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 14:55
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - PeterS
Nothing too unusual:

Car - this morning to work
Train - yesterday into Victoria
Underground - yesterday to Embankment. Walked from there back to Victoria - it was a nice afternoon!
Taxi - yesterday from Victoria to London Wall
Bus - can't remember its been so long, with the exception of airport transfer buses
Bike - on Saturday to pick up the paper
Motor bike - never
Ship / boat - End of June - P&O ferry from Hull to Zebrugge
Plane - Last month, Flymaybe back from Spain
Tram - Years ago in Prague
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - madf
Feet - today
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Iffy
Fire engine - at a road traffic collision a few years ago.

The photographer I was with was called to another job, so I got a lift back to the office with the firemen.

Not much room in the rear bench of the cab.

Police car - accompanying coppers on a drugs raid. I say police car, it was a knackered CID Focus with nothing police about it, other than the occupants.

Last time you used different forms of transport? - rtj70
For me it is:

• Car - this morning

• Train - two Sundays ago to get into Manchester

• Underground - mid 2011 to/from get to Canary Wharf

• Taxi - trip back from Manchester airport in May

• Bus - coach transfers from/to airport on holiday in May

• Bike - probably May 2009 on holiday

• Motor bike - never

• Ship / boat - Small boat/yacht Sept 2010 on holiday

• Plane - May this year to get back home... go away by plane again in Sept

• Tram - Probably Prague for me too some years ago... although we do have trams in Manchester I've not used one in years.

Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 13:58
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Dave_
Car - This morning, to drop daughter off to do some volunteer litter-picking at a festival site.

Bus - The 495 service on the Isle of Mull, two weeks ago. It was quite strange, travelling on the single-track undulating roads, through breathtaking scenery, on a perfectly normal 58-reg Plaxton service bus.

Tram - Nosed around a few in the snow at Crich last Christmas, never been on a moving one.

Train - Last week, from Spalding to Leicester after delivering a new lorry on trade plates.

Taxi - Driven a million miles in the things, used them as a MOP about three times in my life - last one was 6 years ago post-Christmas do.

Push bike - Occasionally used when the only shop open is the 24h garage a couple of miles away and I'm over the limit.

Motorbike - Never been on one, never want to go on one.

Plane - Never been on one, no reason why other than that I've not got around to it. My dad says it's just a bus with wings.

Ship - Most recent one was a week last Saturday, coming back to the mainland from the island we'd stayed on. In the course of a week we took to the ocean a dozen times in all, including one memorable ferry crossing when the skipper let my 5-year-old steer the boat for the whole journey.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Bromptonaut
Car - this morning to fracture clinic. Cleared to weight bear and drove for first time in six weeks

Train - Into London yesterday. Tube ditto

Bus - In London last week

Push Bike - been off for six weeks after accident. Doctor says stay off another six - might try in four.

Ferry - Next Friday to Dunkerque

Plane - to Stornoway December 2009 (50th birthday on Lewis)

Motorcycle - As pillion c1982.

...Cleared to weight bear and drove for first time in six weeks...

Good, sounds like recovery is progressing smoothly.

If ever there's a good time to be routine, boring, normal and unremarkable it's for stuff like this.

when the skipper let my 5-year-old steer the boat for the whole journey......

I bet he didn't bringing it alongside at the dock though... :0)
>> I bet he didn't bringing it alongside at the dock though... :0)

He did! It only has to stop roughly somewhere alongside the slipway, here's a Googled photo of the actual boat: bit.ly/TEAVXi

The journey is all of 500 yards, you can see the other slipway directly in line with the mast. Apparently they've not lost a car off the side yet.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 14:37
What's the vessel's name and route?

Looks similar to the beast that crosses Loch Linnhe below Fort William. Least its' a drive thru unlike the old Scalpay ferry you had to reverse onto.

www.shipsofcalmac.co.uk/crossing_ks.asp
It's the free-running car ferry between South Cuan and the Isle of Luing: goo.gl/maps/B6ceH

It's so far out on a limb there that H&S hasn't happened yet. The isle has a population of 180-odd, so it's the kind of place where the ferryman (and ferrywoman!) knows everybody. The northern slipway is also on an island, joined to the mainland proper by a 200-year-old bridge a few miles up the B-road.
Ok - Fair enough then, I'm a bit surprised at that ....

Is that maybe a chain ferry and not a free running one Dave ? It looks very similar to the Studland chain ferry which is at the entrance to Poole Harbour ....

So when if ever was anyone last in a Hovercraft - It was Folkestone to Boulogne for me some time in the eighties...

.... or drove a forklift ( Last week )....

>> So when if ever was anyone last in a Hovercraft - It was Folkestone to
>> Boulogne for me some time in the eighties...

1979, Dover to Boulogne and return. Strictly speaking it was actually an aeroglisseur or Naviplane - SEDAM N550 Enginuer Jean Bertin.

www.flickr.com/photos/petemacleod/2391800633/
A mate of mine described his crossing as like going through a car wash.

>> A mate of mine described his crossing as like going through a car wash.

That was on a calm day. My only other crossing was c1974 with Hoverlloyd from Calais to Ramsgate/Pegwell Bay. Like being on a big dipper in a carwash! Arrival on Kentish mudflats just in time to not need the sick bag - another thirty seconds would have been enough!!

wondered about going to IOW on one this weekend but decided to take the car, last time was the IOW one about 10-12 years ago

I crossed from Dover to Calais by Hoverspeed hovercraft a few times in the 1990s. The last time was at 7.30 a.m. on Thursday 13th May, 1999. We returned on Friday 28th of May. I think that it was a hovercraft - Hoverspeed were also running catamarans at the time, so it just might have been one of them. (My wife might remember.)

First time on a hovercraft was on the Hoverlloyd Ramsgate to Calais service in 1971.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Alanovich
I seem to remember using a Hovercraft from Ramsgate to Dunkirk or Oostend in the mid 1990s. That would certainly be the last time I went in one.

Nasty, nasty things which stank heavily of their fumes and fuel, and gave a very uncomfotable ride to those of use prone to sea sickness, with little room to escape from your seat. Vile craft all round in my ever so humble.
>> Nasty, nasty things which stank heavily of their fumes and fuel, and gave a very
>> uncomfotable ride to those of use prone to sea sickness, with little room to escape
>> from your seat. Vile craft all round in my ever so humble.
>>
don't agree, still think the IOW ones are a spectacle to see and don't remember either them or the cross channel ones which I went on a few times being uncomfortable or smelly. Maybe I was lucky with the sea conditions
I went on one of those cross-channel "fast ferries" .
Equally evil, smelly & just scruffy.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - R.P.
I've crossed with three different ferry routes in the past three years. P&O's overnighter from Hull, was great. Clean comfortable (within limitations) and reliable. As was the P&O crossing from Calais last Autumn - Stena to Dublin - on the Explorer which is now a relatively elderly ship - but again a very good and comfy crossing with excellent staff.
Norfolk Line, now DFDS Seaways, is good - not as good as it used to be in terms of on-board prices & quality for nosh, though.
Generally cheaper for the cross channel dash than the usual suspects.
My only long ferry trip was to Belgium a few years ago.

Not sure which ports we used, but on the way over the boat took on a pronounced list to one side, as if the load had slipped.

No one on board seemed bothered and we chugged on, arriving safely.

Does this sort of thing happen often?

Are you sure that it was not you listing and the boat remaining upright? ;-)
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 20:31
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Runfer D'Hills
Too many pie eaters on that side?
>> I seem to remember using a Hovercraft ...
>>
>> Nasty, nasty things which stank heavily of their fumes and fuel, and gave a very
>> uncomfotable ride to those of use prone to sea sickness, with little room to escape
>> from your seat. Vile craft all round in my ever so humble.
>>

Oddly enough, I have no recollection of them being any more smelly than other ferries or, for that matter, trains. The ride, was perhaps, a little choppy - but not too bad. Hovercraft was always my preferred means of crossing the channel - so they can't have been that bad.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Pat
We used to park up in the lorries at the yacht basin at Dover's Western docks after handballing 22tonnes of potatoes on, get a shower and catch the hydrofoil(?) over to Calais in the evening to get our duty free ciggies!

I seem to remember it only took about 30 minutes.

I wish I had that much energy now.

Pat
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - crocks
Car - Two days ago.
Bus - Last Month.
Train - To London last month.
Tram - Last year.
Taxi - Years ago.
Motorbike - 20 years ago as rider, 5 years on pillion.
Bike - cycled to Olympic time trial two weeks ago.
Plane - last year.
Boat - Woolwich ferry last year
Helicopter - 40 years
Tractor - 30 years ago on a gliding holiday
Glider - ditto

Looking forward to a trip on the cross-Thames cable car soon.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Falkirk Bairn
Car - Today
Bus - January 2012
Train - 2009
Tram - 1952
Taxi - 2 Years ago.
Motorbike - 40 years ago as rider- Saudi Arabia
Bike - whilst teaching youngest - 30 years ago
Plane - 2010
Boat - Greek Ferry 1989
Helicopter - 40 years Saudi Arabia
Tractor - 50 years ago Student Job with Council - cutting grass- the summer shone in 1964!
Glider - never
Car - this morning on commute to work.

Bus - this morning on commute, from park and ride to office.

Tram - November 2011 in Belgrade, taking the children to the zoo.

Train - Last Friday - Bristol Parkway to Cardiff. I was trying to get from Reading to the Millenium Stadium for Olympic football, but the M4 was solid from Bath to Cardiff, so we parked up at Bristol Parkway and jumped on an InterCity 125.

Tube - Sunday just gone, going to Tower Bridge to see the Olympic marathon.

Bicycle - last December during a short lived splurge of fitness activity aimed at losing a few stone (it worked).

Motorbike - well, pillion on my Dad's bike in May 1983, the week before some twot in an Austin Princess knocked him off it and killed him.

Plane - last December to Amsterdam, going to see Fulham play FC Twente in the Europa League (we lost).

Ship - Summer 2008 or 9, can't quite rememebr which. Fast ferry to Boulogne from Dover. Cheap deal. Have sworn never to sail ever again after that and used the tunnel frequently, whatever the cost.

Bonus random transport means:

Hydrofoil - Sorrento to Capri, Easter 2004. The worst sea crossing I've ever been on without losing my lunch. My then pregnant wife can't claim the same levels of gastric fortitude.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 15:18
Welcome back, Alanovic.
>> Welcome back, Alanovic.

+1
>> Welcome back, Alanovic.

+1
Missed the edit. Just read your post properly A, not surprised you haven't been on a bike since. My condolences.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 15:29
Welcome back!

Rematerialisation hasn't been mentioned yet :)
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Pat
Good to see you back Alanovic.

Pat
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - FocalPoint
Long time no see!
He's been spending so much time in Ikea.
You have no idea how close to the truth you are!

:-)

It's a good job they don't stock VW Phaetons.
I suppose I've used most forms of transport at one time or another. Most regularly and in descending order of that though would be...

Feet
Car
Bike
Aeroplane
Train
Ferry
Chunnel

Also used to use the cross channel hovercraft a fair bit, have hired a van now and then, caught buses when necessary, ridden horses, skied, had a lift in a truck, ridden motorbikes and been taken home in a recovery truck 17 times. 16 of them in the two years I had an Espace.

I confess though to a certain nervousness of travel in or on anything I'm not personally in control of. In particular trains and buses. Not as worried about planes. I persuade myself that in the event of one of those crashing it probably wouldn't hurt, or at least not for very long.

The trouble, for me anyway, with any form of public transport is that there are almost always public on them too. Some of them are alright I suppose but in particular the ones who take their babies on aeroplanes should probably be punished. Slowly and painfully.

Edit - Oh and a camel a couple of times and a donkey at the seaside. Think that's all.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 19:23
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Fursty Ferret
Car - Today
Bus - May
Train - 2011
Monorail - 2012
Tram - 2011
Taxi - Yesterday
Rickshaw - 2010
Motorbike - Never
Bike - Yesterday
Plane - Yesterday
Boat - 2010 (Cruise ship)
Vaporetto - June
Helicopter - 2001 (Royal Navy Sea King)
Tractor - February (parents live on a farm)
Horse - 2011
Glider - Never
I forgot cable car, dodgems and a Ferris wheel

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 19:32
>> I forgot cable car, dodgems and a Ferris wheel

Haha, I went up Aonach Mòr in a cable car two weeks ago, was on the dodgems as recently as Sunday night, and am planning to go on the London Eye on Friday :)
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Duncan
I haven't used roller skates - or ice skates - for quite a long time.
I quite fancy a pair of those roller blade things. Just a bit worried about where you go to practice with them before launching out on the street...

Just remembered, rowing boat, speed boat and canoe. Oh and a sailing ship.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 19:35
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - RattleandSmoke
Forgot about the tube! But I guess I should have just lumped tram with light rail :). The last time I went on a tube was two weeks ago.

The replies to this thread made me realise I probably use taxis too much! But from 2016 I will have a 24 four hour tram service :).

Last time you used different forms of transport? - Badwolf
Car - about two hours ago on the way home from work.
Bus - considering I hold a PCV licence, I can't remember the last time I was on a bus as a passenger. I'll guess at five weeks ago when I went to a friend's house for a meal and didn't want to faff about picking my car up the next day.
Coach - today, Chatsworth House and back. I was driving it - does that count?
Train - oooh, now you've got me. Ummm, probably when me and my wife went to Amsterdam in 2011 and caught the train from Schipol to the city centre.
Tram - Amsterdam, 2011
Taxi - The same evening alluded to under 'bus'.
Motorbike - Never, and nor will I.
Bike - Probably around seven years ago. I keep thinking that I should buy a bike now that I work in the same town that I live in.
Plane - Yes, our old friend Amsterdam, 2011
Boat - June this year, the Grand Princess around the Western Med.
Horse - c.1980
Quad Bike - on my brother's stag do in 2005. Best fun I've had with my clothes on.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Style_less
• Car – this evening
• Train - Monday morning Epsom - Vauxhall
• Underground – Tue eve Office - home
• Taxi – March home from Clapham Junction
• Bus – July Oxford St
• Bike – Boris May
• Motor bike – Pillion 1990s
• Ship / boat - 2010 ferry Zanzibar – Dar es Salam Kayak R Thames tonight
• Hovercraft 1990? Dover Calais
• Hydrofoil 2000 Amalfi
• Plane – June Boston – Lhr
• Helicopter 1987 (MoD) South Antrim
• Tram – 5? Weeks ago Croydon
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - mikeyb
Car - Today
Bus - Lyon airport shuttle bus 2 weeks ago
Coach - corporate off site work event in Feb
Train - xmas shopping in Cardiff (train from Bristol to Cardiff is cheaper than fuel + bridge toll + parking)
Tram - not sure I've ever been on a tram
Taxi - Think it was late last year in Madrid - usually get a hire car but had lost my licence
Motorbike - never,although never say never
Bike - spent a rather large sum on a bike earlier in the year through the bike to work scheme, but not used it anywhere as much as I planned - last trip out was a couple of weeks back
Plane - 2 weeks ago A319 Heathrow to Lyon
Ferry - 2 years ago - Plymouth to Roscoff
Quad Bike - about 3 years ago - few mates booked a session on a working farm in Wales - brilliant time, and very rough and ready - not at all corporate, and very cheap
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Bigtee
Car- every day pretty much.

Tram- don't have any.

Train - as little as possible once twice a month if that.

Bike- most weeks enjoy trails.

Plane- not for 3 years skint.

Ferry- not for 20 years.

Quad bike- yes love it.

Skate board- tried to show my lad how to ride one.

Taxi- about once or twice a month.

Bus- about never unless car breaks down.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - idle_chatterer
Bus - probably 2 weeks ago

PLG/Minibus (white knuckle ride) - last week

MTR (underground) - yesterday, I use it most days, cheap and very efficient

Taxi - Yesterday (use one most days)

Tram - been a while, maybe a week or two, bit hot at the moment for this mode of transport

Ferry - last Saturday on Star Ferry - Tsim Sha Tsui to Wanchai, one of THE great ferry trips in the world IMHO and it's about 30p each way.

Cable car - about a month ago

Private car - I've probably only been in a private car 10 times in the past 2 years (holiday rentals excepted)
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - CGNorwich
Can I claim to be only hot air balloon passenger? - 2008, Norwich. A bit scary as I'm not too keen on heights but overall a great experience
And to round off:

Zimmer frame
Wheelchair
Ambulance
Hearse

:)
>> And to round off:
>>
>> Zimmer frame
>> Wheelchair
>> Ambulance
>> Hearse
>>
>> :)
>>

Zimmer and wheelchair both in last six weeks.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Manatee
Ambly-ance as well before that, presumably?
Other unusual forms of transport

Cable Cars .. Several times in Madeira 8 years ago

Monorail .... Chessington World of Adventures 25 plus years ago

Tram - Memphis and New Orleans 2005 , Memphis also has a suspension railway to Mud Island - see it in the film The Firm with Tom Cruise based on the John Grisham novel.

Also went on the Paddle Steamer Natchez up the Mississippi from the pier at New Orleans and gator hunting in the swamps on an airboat....

Been on an Arab Dhow...

Hydrofoil from Guernsey to Sark ....

Seacat over the channel
In response to Cliff . . .

Zimmer frame - not so far
Wheelchair - not yet
Ambulance - March, 2000
Hearse - Probably 1989

Last time you used different forms of transport? - L'escargot
I ride on Shanks's pony every so often.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - bathtub tom
How about parachute?
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - L'escargot
About a year ago I had a test drive of a friend's mobility scooter. It was pretty nippy.
Elephant - Whipsnade Zoo, about 1960.
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Ted

Just got back today from our holiday in the South of the Fourth Reich so catching up on what you lot have been up to.

In the past month I've been on...

FWD + caravan
North Sea Ferry
Cable car
Chair lift
Rack railway
Bus/tram/train....a lot..... All three free here, so why not ?
Motor bike.
Pushbike.
Van.

Before that...

Tricycle....about 60 yrs ago.
Various police vehicles and bikes
Artic
Various recovery vehicles.
Lots of vintage and classic vehicles
Airplanes
Pier railway
Quad bike on friend's farm in Wark forest.
2 Horse carriage at friend's stables near Penrith.
WW2 Jeep

I did once drive a Churchill up a 45 degree slope.

I found the Stannah to be more comfy, tho.

I'll get me lederhosen...nice 2B back !

Ted
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - bathtub tom
>> Elephant - Whipsnade Zoo, about 1960.

Real, or the clockwork one?
 Last time you used different forms of transport? - Harleyman
Car (well the pick-up actually) yesterday i.e. Friday.

Lorry; yesterday.

Scooter; Tuesday. It's rained stair-rods every damn morning since, hence use of pick-up to commute.

Motorbike; Sunday.

Bicycle; about three months ago, into town for a session. I park it behind a friend's house on the outskirts of town, go on the lash, and inevitably walk all the way home having forgotten about it. No bad thing really.

Bus/Tram; in Reims, June 22.

Train; 21 July, TGV Paris to Reims.

Plane; November 2009

Forklift truck; two weeks ago and actually on the public highway. Delivering to a hill farm whose access road is too twisty for the lorry to negotiate; we use one of those demountable jobbies.

Scorpion Tank; 1981.

Traction engine; early 1980's, at Quorn station.

Steam engine (working on footplate) about 1991 on NYMR.
>> >> Elephant - Whipsnade Zoo, about 1960.
>>
>> Real, or the clockwork one?
>>

Real. There was a proper howdah, if that's the word, seating about 6 people I think, and we ambled round the zoo. Then we gave the beast some buns, and it squirted water at everyone from a bucket.

Last time you used different forms of transport? - PeterS
>> About a year ago I had a test drive of a friend's mobility scooter. It
>> was pretty nippy.
>>

At the risk of offending Renault, that reminds me that we did hire a Twizzy for half a day when we were in Epernay earlier in the summer. 'Ours' was a Twizzy 45 which is limited to, um, 45 km/h. Great fun round town, though temperatures in the high twenties did highlight the lack of a/c. Mind you, the absence of windows partly explained the lack of a/c...and also created its own problem when it rained briefly...

I had rather thought that the drink/drive culture was in decline even in France, but somewhat entertainingly a half days hire included a half bottle of champagne, and a full day a whole bottle! In true French style the 'car' was handed over only half charged, and no attempt was made to plug it back in when we returned it.. Visions of the next customer turning up to rent one an being met with a Gallic shrug and then turned away with the words "sorry, ze battery 'as no charge..." We did use less than a quarter of a battery in our 4 hours though...
Latest Forum Posts