Non-motoring > Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 80

Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - No FM2R
Why is it that a spelling mistake or typo, which is totally invisible no matter how many times one reviews an intended entry before posting, suddenly glares out of the page like a belisha beacon once the edit time window is closed?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 17:46
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Armel Coussine
Called 'Sod's Law'.

What I hate is writing a brilliantly judicious afterthought only to have it casually eliminated with some arrogant message about it being too late. Just can't be bothered to do it again, but it always irritates. Why does the goddam text have to be lost anyway? It's a software flaw.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Pat
We have to do it to keep the pedants happy:)

Pat
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Kevin
>What I hate is writing a brilliantly judicious afterthought only to have it casually eliminated..

If it takes more than a minute or two to compose do it in an editor eg. Vi or Notepad and then just cut&paste into your browser.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - wotspur
Or dislexia or just illiterate like me
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - smokie
I just type the lot in here, then Copy it all then press Post message. If it's too late then you just paste it...
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Lygonos
Pfft wouldn't happen in a privatised car4play - unnecessary mouse clicks are the realm of civil servants and leftist loonies.
>> then Copy it all then press Post message.

I have told myself repeatedly to do that, but I always forget. It's feeling stupid that makes one so annoyed. Don't think I don't know. Would that others did.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - No FM2R
I should think that every mistake I have made in the last 10 years, whether trivial or significant, has on hindsight been completely obvious and made me feel a fool.

I don't learn from my mistakes. I already knew everything because I screwed it up before, I just forgot.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Dave_
I usually have half-a-dozen tabs open, each with a different C4P thread in them - I browse through each forum's front page and middle-click on all the topics that interest me before reading them each in turn.*

If I compose an epic reply (or get sidetracked for 15 minutes halfway through writing a short one) I just go to a different tab and press F5 to refresh it, i.e. to "check in" to the site and reset the time-out counter. As long as the top right box in that tab still shows "Log out" as an option I know I'm still logged in, and I can go back to the tab where I was replying and finish the job without that will-it won't-it uncertainty.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 21:12
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - smokie
At work, I use Rules in Outlook so that every email sits in the Outbox for one minute before it goes.

I do it because there were so many times when I remembered something else I needed to say just after hitting Send, or had forgotten to attach the attachments, or, less frequently, I composed the mail in a bit of a strop and want to retract or reword it. Despite all of that, the spelling checker, and whatever it is that underlines mis-spelt words, I still send out some with typos...
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - R.P.
I type up to twenty sets of case notes a day. I spellcheck them as a matter of course. I find my spelling varies with the time of the day, day of the week. The software we use is obviously an inherited package, Carphilly corrects to "Caterpillar" Wrexham corrects to "Rexam".....
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - John H

>> The software we use is obviously an inherited package, Carphilly corrects
>> to "Caterpillar" Wrexham corrects to "Rexam".....
>>

Usually, there is an option to add your own spellings/words to such spelling databases whenever a new/unusual word is encountered.

Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Cliff Pope
I find occasionally my mind seems to go into jumbled mode when I am half way through typing a word. It happens if I sense I have made a mistake, but something makes me go on typing, resulting a garbled nonsense usually with all the letters there but mixed up, or syllables repeated.
It would be a lot easier to stop and correct it sooner, but the "I've started so I'll finish" syndrome seems to kick in uncontrolably.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Iffy
...uncontrolably...

An example of the syndrome, because it should be: uncontrollably.

Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Cliff Pope
>> ...uncontrolably...
>>
>> An example of the syndrome, because it should be: uncontrollably.
>>
>>
>>

Exactly., but only a mild example. I might easily type uncoblabally or uncontabonayl, and usually but not always spot them in time.

Perhaps it comes from long but inexpert untaught semi-touch typing. i know roughly where the buttons are, but sometimes they all seem to come out jumbled.

I've always had difficulty with double consonants. Sometimes on reflection there seem to be too many, so I arbirtarilly delete a few just for luck. (There's another good example. I've just looked up arbitrarily - why the inconsistency?)
...I've always had difficulty with double consonants...

Lots of people do.

One might think benefitted is correct, but it's not, it's benefited.

Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Stuartli
If people pronounced a word correctly, in most cases they would spell it correctly as well (as in the case of benefited...:-)

A good spell checker (I use British English Dictionary, version 1.19.1 with Firefox/Waterfox) is very useful, but just typing a word into the Google field will also bring up the correct spelling as you type it in.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Mapmaker
Iffy (yes, I know I've got the threading wrong, but if it goes at the right point nobody will see it).

Benefited does not double the 't' (unlike fitted) because you only double the consonant when that is the stressed syllable. BENefited, c.f. FITTed. Once you know the rule you cannot go wrong...
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Focusless
>> (... but if it goes at the right point nobody will see it).

Apart from all those who use the 'New' link. Or is that just me?
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - zookeeper
i still call a nice shiney ten new pence ...two bob
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - VxFan
>> Iffy (yes, I know I've got the threading wrong)

It's ok, I tagged it onto his post - seeing as though you couldn't be bothered ;)
>> Exactly., but only a mild example. I might easily type uncoblabally or uncontabonayl, and usually
>> but not always spot them in time.

Have you tried turning on the browser's spell checker, so that miss-spelt words are underlined in red? Doesn't help me when I type the wrong word though eg. 'I' instead of 'at'.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - sherlock47
In the days before electronic mail I found the best way to find a spelling mistake in a critical document was to have a pile of 20 copies in your hand, travelling in the lift to an important meeting :)
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - madf
"teh" is my bugbear...
'Definately' definitely does it for me.

I've seen that on here from people who ought to better.

Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Dog
Why don't they use a spell chequer then, like I do.
Because you have written or typed something that contains an error, it's difficult for the brain to pick it out no matter how many times you read it...:-) That's why publishing houses have proof readers.

ENJOY
PARIS
IN THE
THE SPRING
...Because you have written or typed something that contains an error, it's difficult for the brain to pick it out no matter how many times you read it...

As in 'ought to ((know)) better' in my post above. :)

Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - teabelly
There's a grammar and spellchecker plugin for Firefox. I use that.

The best way to see mistakes is to leave what you have written and do something else for a while.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Clk Sec
>>Why don't they use a spell chequer then, like I do

Me to, it's so easey.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 14 Aug 12 at 08:49
it's & its is the two I often get wrong.
= = > it's & its is the two I often get wrong < = = =

Does it really matter though, in the-grand-scheme-of-things.
Not really Dog, it's just a rather pompous way of saying 'I know more than you' :)

The rest of us think life's too short to waste!

Pat
>>The rest of us think life's too short to waste!<<

Wish I was aware of that 40 years ago though ;)
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - devonite
>>The rest of us think life's too short to waste!<<

Wish I was aware of that 40 years ago though ;)

So, Woofles, how much life are you still wasting by putting in all the doo-dahs to underline just one word? ;-)

and, on that note, how much life would one save by using txt spk instead of "Her Maj`s" English!
>> how much life are you still wasting by putting in all the doo-dahs to underline just one word? ;-)<<

I've got it down to a fine art now devonike.

:}
...I've got it down to a fine art now devonike...

Careful Doggo, the last person who demonstrated his mastery of the hidden commands in the forum software is no longer with us.

Quite innocuous though, compared to our late friends contribution I 'would've' thought ;}
>> our late friends contribution

It would be a great shame, in my humble opinion, if we were to lose a poster of Z's stature. He may ruffle a few feathers here and there, but he makes a very worthwhile and interesting contribution to this forum.

Now, who's going to pay the ransom?
My guess (for what it's/its worth) is that ee's gorn on holly day, and will be back before you can say suoicodilaipxecitsiligarfilacrepus.
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 08:12
>> My guess (for what it's/its worth) is that ee's gorn on holly day, and will be back

And he'll pooh-pooh any suggestion that umbrage has been taken!
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - L'escargot
>> My guess (for what it's/its worth) is that ee's gorn on holly day, and will
>> be back before you can say suoicodilaipxecitsiligarfilacrepus.
>>

Shhhh. You'd be better off lying doggo. If he hears you he's liable to come back just out of spite!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 15 Aug 12 at 08:51
>>Shhhh. You'd be better off lying doggo. If he hears you he's liable to come back just out of spite!

A man can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down.

:}
>> Careful Doggo, the last person who demonstrated his mastery of the hidden commands in the forum software is no longer with us.

If we'd have known no one was going to pay the ransom, then we wouldn't have kipnapped him.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - devonite
the last person who demonstrated his mastery of the hidden commands in the forum software is no longer with us.

who? - me must have missed something!
not old bellboy is it?
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11445&m=256742&v=e
>> = = > it's & its is the two I often get wrong < =
>> = =
>>
>> Does it really matter though, in the-grand-scheme-of-things.
>>

The use of text has brought the cringe worthy examples of "should of", "would of" etc for should have/would have etc in everyday writing material...:-(
>>The use of text has brought the cringe worthy examples of "should of", "would of" etc for should have/would have etc in everyday writing material...:-(<<

Even I wouldn't 'stoop to the level' of using should of would of in place of should have would have but, I wouldn't class it in the same league as using its when it should be it's :)
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - madf
Marks will be deducted for spelling and punktuation
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - sooty123
Not sure why it's cringe worthy, it just reflects how people talk. I say would of so am more likely but not always to type it. If people start using different words in speach why should written language lag behind?
>> Not sure why it's cringe worthy, it just reflects how people talk. I say would
>> of so .................

So if you had one pound and you gave me ninety pence, you would of ten pence left.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 14 Aug 12 at 11:19
>>So if you had one pound and you gave me ninety pence, you would of ten pence left.<<

>>ROTFL<< ... I had to read it twice though!
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - sooty123
>> >> Not sure why it's cringe worthy, it just reflects how people talk. I say
>> would
>> >> of so .................
>>
>> So if you had one pound and you gave me ninety pence, you would of
>> ten pence left.
>>

I said likely not every time, written no I wouldn't but I would say it like that yes. Although rather than anything conscious it's probably my accent. Saying 'would have' is something I would have to really think about before saying, 'would of' is normal and correct to me.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 14 Aug 12 at 11:33
>> The use of text has brought the cringe worthy examples of "should of", "would of"
>> etc for should have/would have etc in everyday writing material...:-(
>>

That is the first time I have read that "of" instead of "have" is a result of txt usage. I always thought it was around long before txt and that it was reflection of the literacy of the user.

>>That is the first time I have read that "of" instead of "have" is a result of txt usage. I always thought it was around long before txt and that it was reflection of the literacy of the user.>>

I've raised the point on a popular general forum to which I contribute because there are so many of the forum members who use "of" instead of "have"..:-) They pronounce the "'ve" as "of".
>> >>That is the first time I have read that "of" instead of "have" is a
>> result of txt usage. I always thought it was around long before txt and that
>> it was reflection of the literacy of the user.>>
>>
>> I've raised the point on a popular general forum to which I contribute because there
>> are so many of the forum members who use "of" instead of "have"..:-) They pronounce
>> the "'ve" as "of".
>>

ve ave vase ov making you talk...
It's or its ................... tinyurl.com/23dycop

Eats shoots and leaves.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - CGNorwich
"I've seen that on here from people who ought to better."

What on earth does that mean? You really need to proof-read your posts. ;-)
Spell checkers are terribly annoying and tend to turn your prose American. Fortunately I don't need them because I can spell most words. Typos are another matter. And then there is the question of acceptable alternative spellings (incentivize or incentivise?)

Even among people professionally concerned with words, dyslexia is not unknown. But anyone who writes or edits final versions owes it to everyone to get this stuff right. That's why proof readers have to be able to spell as well as copy editors. It's a three line whip so to speak. Even with that, published books are often full of misspellings and grammatical solecisms. The broadsheet press is deplorable these days.

Life may be too short for Pat and her fellow truckers to bother with this sort of thing, but if it was too short for people like me to bother you would all end up in the soup. People would forget what a sentence was and language would gradually lose whole layers of meaning.
Hang on a minute...many of my fellow truckers are also pedants.

My argument is that there is a time and a place for it, an internet chat forum is not that place.

Pat
>> many of my fellow truckers are also pedants.

>> My argument is that there is a time and a place for it, an internet chat forum is not that place.

I wasn't looking down on truckers Pat, or on you. You must know me better than that. I'm sure lots of your colleagues are infuriatingly pedantic.

I don't agree about internet forums though. Surely they are for anything that pops into anyone's mind? Topic drift is the spice of life.
I do know you better than that AC, I also know me well too, and the above is why I'm known as the Flying Witch by my colleagues:)

Unternet forums are for anything, I agree with that too, but there are times when pedantry on a forum appears to be rudeness in my eyes.

Pat
>> there are times when pedantry on a forum appears to be rudeness in my eyes.

Mine too. It is rudeness sometimes, a sort of bullying, not justified because people don't all start from the same place.

It isn't always rude or unjustified though. It's always hilarious when some lofty pedant manages to be wrong. The pedant who's right deserves to win.

'I hesitate to correct so lofty an authority as X, but...'
I'm pleased that's cleared up, and I'm pleased you got to Spain safely!

You are a man after my own heart Lud...ask advice, but in the end are proud to say 'I did it my way';)

Pat
>> Spell checkers are terribly annoying and tend to turn your prose American.
>>

Blaming the tools, eh? ;-)

Are you sure you are/were not using an American English checker?

Last edited by: John H on Tue 14 Aug 12 at 12:03
I never use them. But most spell checkers are in American.
>> I never use them. But most spell checkers are in American.
>>

I thought most provide "UK" or "British" English option.

>>The broadsheet press is deplorable these days<<

Amen to that Sire!
>> Spell checkers

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
>> >> Spell checkers
>>
>> Eye halve a spelling chequer
>> My chequer tolled me sew.
>>

Must have repeated been on here many times.

People who never use a dictionary - because to use it they need to know the spelling in the first place.

Last edited by: John H on Tue 14 Aug 12 at 13:06
>> Must have repeated been on here many times.

Or even been repeated ;o)
 Can't spell, can't type, and poor punctuation. - L'escargot
>> Eye halve a spelling chequer
>> It came with my pea sea

There are forty nine correctly spelled words, so your spell checker isn't too bad!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 17 Aug 12 at 07:13
 Can't spell, can't type, and poor punctuation. - Duncan
>> There are forty nine correctly spelled words, so your spell checker isn't too bad!
>>

It would appear to me that there are exactly one hundred words in that piece of doggerel.

Correct me if I am wrong, but none are misspelt!

Isn't that the whole point?
 Can't spell, can't type, and poor punctuation. - WillDeBeest
All 98 words are correctly spelled (or spelt), l'Es - and that's the problem: it's still gibberish! Clever stuff, VF.

I have a different problem here. Most of my contributions go in via my iPhone, and on such a small keypad typos are inevitable. iOS helpfully corrects most of them, but not always to what I had in mind, which is why the occasional word gets through that doesn't belong at all. I've noticed some Manchester-based contributors have the same problem - anyone remember 'viticulture'?

A spelling checker (which, incidentally, iOS wants to change to 'checked') is no better or worse than a satnav: if you take the trouble to work out roughly where you need to go, it'll help out with the troublesome details, but if you really haven't a clue and don't bother to think, you'll end up right where you deserve and waste other people's time in the process.
Oops, Duncan's counting is better than mine.
}8---)
 Can't spell, can't type, and poor punctuation. - VxFan
>> Clever stuff, VF.

All I did was copy/paste it from somewhere else.
I didn't say it was your clever stuff, did I?
}:---)
Ere!! I've just fell in ... when y'all go on about should of could of, what you really mean is could've should've,
well - that's the way I would speak (say) it, but obviously not write/type it.
 Carnt spoell, carnt tipe. - Dutchie
I just press on the keyboard and hope for the best.I mean well tho..;)
Latest Forum Posts