Non-motoring > A sad day Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 19

A sad day - Skip
My much loved cat Barney was killed this morning after being hit by a car. My OH works away during the week so most of the time it was just me and him here & I can't believe how empty the house feels without him already. I still keep expecting him to come walking in demanding to be fed. I do love animals, but it is so hard when you loose them.
 A sad day - Ian (Cape Town)
:>(

sorry to hear, Skip.

A sad day - Clk Sec
>> sorry to hear, Skip.

+1
 A sad day - Dutchie
I know how you feel Skip losing a good mate.
 A sad day - rtj70
Sorry to hear about your loss. This happened to us years ago out front of the house. We eventually got speed bumps which slowed cars a bit.

You must really feel you're missing a good friend. We'll miss our cat when she's gone. She's 17 this year - and is now deaf so shouts a lot when you're not about.
 A sad day - Armel Coussine
Cats in my experience are rubbish with traffic. The safest ones in town are very wimpish moggies that don't really dare to go in a street especially a main road. But adventurous gung-ho cats are a danger to themselves. They will try to cross quite busy roads by peering both ways, thinking there's a gap and going for it. Unfortunately they don't judge the speed of approaching vehicles at all well. A cat ran under my car as I swooped round a corner not far from where I used to live. It must have been killed although it leapt high in the air behind the car and fled off the road.

In 36 years in that house we lost two or three cats to traffic. Even the superb castrated black tom Sooty, adventurous but with a very charming genial personality. I once watched him cross the road in front of the house very late at night. Looked both ways a few times, no traffic, so he darted across the road straight into the front wheel of a late-night cyclist he had somehow failed to notice. The furious cyclist pursued the cat round the corner bawling imprecations. It was a moment of high comedy. But a car got him in the end.
 A sad day - madf
Sorry to hear of your loss.

There is a cat on our road which has entered the 10 metre Olympic dash and Bolts (sorry!) across the road like a black panther.

Beats into second place the chicken which crosses the road with head and neck outstretched and wings flapping..

In third place are squirrels...
 A sad day - Pat
So sorry to hear that Skip, I understand just how you feel.

Animals become our best friends and we love them as our family.

They accept us, faults and all, never tell us we're wrong and have ultimate trust in us.

Have a walk around your local Cat's Protection League centre...not to come home with one but just to look, and I'm sure there will be a pair of sad eyes just needing a home.....

It's what Barney would want.

Pat
 A sad day - Skip
Thanks for all your kind words.

I feel totally gutted.

All cats are characters, but he was the biggest character of them all.

Pat, he came from Cats Protection, someone I know volunteered at the local branch and talked me into taking one as they were virtually at full capacity and desperate for homes for them. I remember thinking "how much trouble can one cat be" - the answer was our lives have revolved around him for the last 5 years !

We are going on holiday next month, after that I will think about going back to them and getting another one, or possibly two.
 A sad day - Londoner
Sorry to hear about your loss, skip. Pat's advice was very good, and I'm pleased to see that you are of the same mind.

None of us last forever, and hold on to the thought that you gave your pet a great home while it was alive.

If you get two cats, then avoid getting two males - they are competitors.
 A sad day - Zero
Barney would have sodded off and left you in the lurch at the slightest hint of better food elsewhere.

Get a dog.
 A sad day - Lygonos
Always found our neutered toms to be more chilled than even the neutered females.

Take women out of the equation and all they want is fed, kept warm, and somewhere nice to poop.

Hmmm... I might book myself in...
 A sad day - MD
Sorry from me too Mate. We lost a beautiful neutered rescue tom called Paddington many years ago to a maniac on a country lane. That Cat was a lovely creature. He used to follow me and the dog on long country walks always staying 50 yards behind for some reason. Guess he thought we couldn't see him.
 A sad day - R.P.
I still miss my old Spaniel...:-(
 A sad day - Dutchie
It's like a berievement losing a pet isn't.My favorite cat was Tom died about two years ago now.Big ginger cat had a bit siamese in him.Some people thought he was a breed.I got him from the pet shop for a tenner I think as a kitten.Working differnt shift patterns Tom was always there to greet me when he heard the car arriving.
 A sad day - legacylad
I know how you feel. Many years ago, going to catch the bus to school, i found our cat Maxi by the side of the road. Needless to say i didn't make it to school that day.

On a lighter note, my overseas friends have three dogs & two cats. They all go out for a nightime walk together. The chihuahua (with attitude) leads the way, then the Oz Heeler followed by the Heinz 57. The 2 felines bring up the rear 50 yards behind. Its like walking a small zoo.
 A sad day - RattleandSmoke
Very sorry to hear this. Lost four cats in the past 20 years or so I know how you're feeling. The one I was perhaps most close to died in July last year in very awful circumstances and even now it still hurts me but it does get easier.

Always the problem with pets :(. Remember the happy times you had with your cat :).

A sad day - Armel Coussine
Don't remember when or where, but once listened to a monologue by a cheerful young man of obvious South London working-class origins on something that had happened to his parents' cat while they were away and he was supposed to be looking after it. It had got shut in or shut out or fallen down a hole or something.

It had survived unharmed, but the young man was very sorry for it in its travails. 'Poor little caaahn'!' he kept saying sentimentally. Made me laugh at the time and still does.
 A sad day - L'escargot
>> .......... never tell us we're wrong and have ultimate trust in us.

Our cat rolls on its back indicating that it trusts us and inviting us to tickle its tummy, but if we do so it grabs our hand with all feet, claws out, and draws blood! Always!
 A sad day - Pat
That's just his way of showing affection for you and trying to keep your hand there L'es:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts