Non-motoring > Honolulu penny Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 16

Honolulu penny - L'escargot
I've just been rooting through a box of old British coins at a local market and found a well-worn Queen Victoria penny which we used to irreverently (or worse!) call a Honolulu penny. It's not worth the 50p I paid for it, because it's so worn that you can't even distinguish the date, but it brought back memories of my childhood so it was worth it in that respect. Do any of the you other oldies remember having one?
 Honolulu penny - Manatee
I know I have thirteen bobs worth somewhere which includes one or two Victorian ones. I don't expect them to be worth much, but I imagine the scrap value now is more than 13/-.
 Honolulu penny - Armel Coussine
There were two main Victorian pennies. The earlier ones had the queen's hair done in a bun, the later and commoner ones didn't. Don't know when the changeover occurred but a bun penny in good condition is a bit precious, if not necessarily very valuable.
 Honolulu penny - Mapmaker
ebay item 290751279203 is a £42 bun penny. In lovely condition. Extraordinary to think these things had a life of over 100 years.
 Honolulu penny - Manatee
Well remembered AC, I'd forgotten that. I suspect none of mine is a bun penny. Must ask the curator where they are.
>> There were two main Victorian pennies. The earlier ones had the queen's hair done in
>> a bun,

Mine has a bun. I just wish it wasn't so worn that I can't see the date.
>> There were two main Victorian pennies.

According to this, there were three versions. tinyurl.com/bqh2oej

Mine is the 1860 - 1894 version.
 Honolulu penny - Armel Coussine
>> three versions. tinyurl.com/bqh2oej

>> 1860 - 1894

I'd forgotten about the third one, just a few years though .

Victorian coppers and Edwardian silver were quite common when I was a child and even into the fifties and early sixties.

Proper coinage that was. You needed canvas-lined pockets in your clothes though.
 Honolulu penny - Mapmaker
Amazed you had to buy one, Escargot. Didn't everybody keep a few as a souvenir?
>> Amazed you had to buy one, Escargot. Didn't everybody keep a few as a souvenir?
>>

We were so poor that we couldn't afford to keep coins purely as souvenirs. I remember having to take an egg back to the corner shop for them to replace because the original was bad.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 9 Aug 12 at 17:15
 Honolulu penny - Dog
Its been in the news, and I dare say you've heard about tit but, Cornwall has now gained its independence and will be using the Groat from 1.4.13

:}
 Honolulu penny - helicopter
This thread made me dig out my Isle of Man Manx rally 20 p piece from the pin tray of my desk .....its not that rare but it starts at around 99p on ebay.....

Its the one with he Impreza and Cosworth on it.
 Honolulu penny - Zero
I only really bother looking at fruppnies....
 Honolulu penny - idle_chatterer
A bit tangential but every time I receive a "Queen's Head" Hong Kong coin in my change I keep it, I have amassed a collection of 20 or 30 such coins in 2 years - they are being phased out. I tell my bemused friends that these are real money and actually worth something unlike the new stuff with the unpronounceable flower on it.

They smile at the poor, deluded, Gweilo colonialist.

I do have a Queen Victoria (non-bun) penny somewhere or other though.....
 Honolulu penny - Iffy
I remember at least two changes in the depiction of our present Queen to mark her advancing years.

Honolulu penny - R.P.
We must be due an update some time soon...
 Honolulu penny - Zero
When jug ears hits the throne, we will need a coin with two handles on the side. That will confuse the vending machines.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Aug 12 at 22:15
Latest Forum Posts